Bates Says Darnold Could be Week 1 Starter

JetNation

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The entire point was for Macagnan to say he traded his second round pick instead of cutting him 

Ya. It’s like when some loser feels proud selling his lemon of a car for 100 bucks, instead of just giving it away. Except the deal is guy only has to pay him $100 if he keeps it more then a week. The guy tosses the piece of sh*t after 5 days, and seller gets nothing.

Worst 2nd pick in the history of the nfl 

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

Gotta play him day 1

What's your other option... Develop him?? Let's not kid ourselves how often has that ended in a Superbowl?

If he has it he has it if he doesn't he doesnt 

I’m fine with Darnold starting day 1 or sitting but I feel as if I should point out that none of the best three QB’s in the game, all mortal locks for the HOF and having won Championships, started day 1.

Referring to Brady, Brees, Rodgers...

41 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ya. It’s like when some loser feels proud selling his lemon of a car for 100 bucks, instead of just giving it away. Except the deal is guy only has to pay him $100 if he keeps it more then a week. The guy tosses the piece of sh*t after 5 days, and seller gets nothing.

Worst 2nd pick in the history of the nfl 

We didn’t even get 100 bucks.  Hack is definitely up there with worst second round picks along with Devin Smith

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

Gotta play him day 1

What's your other option... Develop him?? Let's not kid ourselves how often has that ended in a Superbowl?

I’d still start McCown week 1.  If Darnold starts right away and struggles with McCown on the bench it will be bad for his confidence.

But yes all reports indicate he’s running circles around McClown and the Gimp

54 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We didn’t even get 100 bucks.  Hack is definitely up there with worst second round picks along with Devin Smith

Don’t forget Stephen Smith, Jace amaro, vlad ducasse. Know I’m missing some. We must have the most 2nd round busts in entire nfl. Mark Sanchez should have been a 2nd round bust too

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’m fine with Darnold starting day 1 or sitting but I feel as if I should point out that none of the best three QB’s in the game, all mortal locks for the HOF and having won Championships, started day 1.

Referring to Brady, Brees, Rodgers...

Good point. I'm more for starting him day 1 even though I like the other two guys a lot. 

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think the guy has earned the right from this fan base to not be referred to as “McClown” any longer. 

Plus everything else you are saying in this post is complete hogwash.

McClown is a waste product. He had done jack sh*t in this league.  But I guess you’re used to settling for mediocrity so be my guest. 

12 hours ago, slats said:

We haven't gotten to the preseason yet. In spring practices last year, McCown got similar work to what he's gotten this year, maybe more, while Bridgewater is getting Petty-level work.  

Last year McCown played sparingly in the preseason, and it wouldn't surprie me to see the QBs split this preseason similarly, with McCown starting the opener, Darnold starting one or two games, and Bridgewater getting cleanup duty. Might see Bridgewater get better reps than Petty got last year if they have a trade suitor or two who want to see him showcased, but that's about it. He'll probably play at least 3/4 of the last preseason game while they protect Darnold and McCown. 

It comes down to this: Darnold is the future of this team and Bridgewater will not be here next year. They understand those two points even if some fans choose to block it out. I'd expect Darnold to take over as starter well before the last quarter mark, and give McCown better than 50-50 odds to return as his backup next year. I hope they get something for Teddy rather than nothing. 

Point is regardless of how much McClown practices OR plays in preseason, Bowles will start him and he will play the majority of the games probably until they’re eliminated from the playoffs. WhT the fans want, what should be done and what Bowles and Mac want are all 3 different scenarios.

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think the guy has earned the right from this fan base to not be referred to as “McClown” any longer. 

Plus everything else you are saying in this post is complete hogwash.

Booooo hooooo

DDEC31E4-3C03-4DD5-91AC-6BDFBD6801EF.gif

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Point is regardless of how much McClown practices OR plays in preseason, Bowles will start him and he will play the majority of the games probably until they’re eliminated from the playoffs. WhT the fans want, what should be done and what Bowles and Mac want are all 3 different scenarios.

All their high draft picks have started. Hack and Petty sucked, Fitz and McCown were, sadly, the best QBs in the room these last few years. I get hating on these guys, but I expect Darnold to be starting the first half of the season, at a minimum. Probably sooner (if not opening day). 

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Don’t forget Stephen Smith, Jace amaro, vlad ducasse. Know I’m missing some. We must have the most 2nd round busts in entire nfl. Mark Sanchez should have been a 2nd round bust too

Our second round picks have been a s show

3 hours ago, slats said:

All their high draft picks have started. Hack and Petty sucked, Fitz and McCown were, sadly, the best QBs in the room these last few years. I get hating on these guys, but I expect Darnold to be starting the first half of the season, at a minimum. Probably sooner (if not opening day). 

Your words to God’s ears.

5 hours ago, BigO said:

McClown is a waste product. He had done jack sh*t in this league.  But I guess you’re used to settling for mediocrity so be my guest. 

No idea how this thread turned into hate Mccown rant. Jesus, the guy knows he's a stopgap untill Darnold is ready. Whether that is day 1, or week 4. Why can't you guys show some patience? Let Darnold play when he is ready.

No one is suggesting that this is another Hack situation where we'll have to wait two years. 

RELAX!

I want to see Darnold under Center in live games just like everyone else, but I'm still of the opinion that watching for at least a couple weeks would be a benefit for him.  Whether that's 2 weeks, 4 weeks, etc.  I don't know but I do think there's a benefit to having the headset on, listening to sideline-to-QB communication, watching how things go and how an entire NFL game (or two) is managed by a veteran leader like McCown.  Then throw Sam in there!

Quite honestly, from a development standpoint, it would almost be great to have Sam on the sideline with Josh standing next to him as they watch Teddy play and Josh can simply give live, play by play analysis like, "See how Teddy got to the line of scrimmage quickly there, he noticed the D trying to switch up weak side to strong side," or "You see, Teddy had Kearse open in the middle of the field for about 10-15 yards but game situation right?  We've got no timeouts and a 5 yard out to the sideline stops the clock for a 50 yard FG before the half.  We gotta give ourselves a chance for those points and completion in the middle of the field ends the half.  You gotta know that when you come out of the huddle...know what kind of options you DON'T want to use even if they present themselves," etc.

I just want this kid to get the benefits of every perspective on the game.  Aaron Rodgers probably had TOO much time waiting and watching, David Carr probably had too little and definitely wasn't protected enough when he was thrown in there.  There's a middle ground.

17 hours ago, ECURB said:

Gotta play him day 1

Umm....hasn't developing QBs ended up in quite a few Super Bowls and successful NFL QBs?  Aaron Rodgers sat, Eli Manning sat, etc.  Guys like Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, etc. all waited to start and it worked out so I'm not sure I agree with you here.

6 hours ago, BigO said:

McCown had his best year last year, played really well on an offense without any real playmakers.  And let's ignore all the leadership stuff, the "Coach Josh" and "good team guy" things, which are true by the way, but solely speak about on-field performance.  I'm not sure how anyone thinks a 67% completion rate for almost 3000 yards while throwing 18 TDs to 9 INTs is jack sh!t.  And he didn't even play the last several games because of injury.

I'm not sure which football team you're a fan of but for Jets fans those are pretty f'ing good numbers given the performance of our QBs over the years.  I'd take his 94.5 QB Rating any day....which was better than Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger and the $80M Kirk Cousins last year.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

McCown had his best year last year, played really well on an offense without any real playmakers.  And let's ignore all the leadership stuff, the "Coach Josh" and "good team guy" things, which are true by the way, but solely speak about on-field performance.  I'm not sure how anyone thinks a 67% completion rate for almost 3000 yards while throwing 18 TDs to 9 INTs is jack sh!t.  And he didn't even play the last several games because of injury.

I'm not sure which football team you're a fan of but for Jets fans those are pretty f'ing good numbers given the performance of our QBs over the years.  I'd take a 94.5 QB Rating any day.

Yea and the 5-11 record yeeeeha.  McClown is a loser. Has always been one, always will be one. He’s a perennial back up. Mac really should have just rolled the dice with Petty and Hack but he has no balls and had to save face for drafting Hack by signing this scrub which had now cost us 3 2nd round picks.  

1 minute ago, BigO said:

Yea and the 5-11 record yeeeeha.  McClown is a loser. Has always been one, always will be one. He’s a perennial back up. Mac really should have just rolled the dice with Petty and Hack but he has no balls and had to save face for drafting Hack by signing this scrub which had now cost us 3 2nd round picks.  

McCown is 1 of 22 guys on the field between O and D.  If the other 21 had performed at his level that 5-11 would have been 11-5.  QB wasn't the issue last year IMO.

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

He did ask Petty to roll the dice but I think Petty dropped them.  And, Hack couldn't even keep the dice on the table.

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I want to see Darnold under Center in live games just like everyone else, but I'm still of the opinion that watching for at least a couple weeks would be a benefit for him.  Whether that's 2 weeks, 4 weeks, etc.  I don't know but I do think there's a benefit to seeing having the headset on, listening to sideline-to-QB communication, watching how things go and how an entire NFL game (or two) is managed by a veteran leader like McCown.  Then throw Sam in there!

Quite honestly, from a development standpoint, it would almost be great to have Sam on the sideline with Josh standing next to him as they watch Teddy play and Josh can simply give live, play by play analysis like, "See how Teddy got to the line of scrimmage quickly there, he noticed the D trying to switch up weak side to strong side," or "You see, Teddy had Kearse open in the middle of the field for about 10-15 yards but game situation right?  We've got no timeouts and a 5 yard out to the sideline stops the clock for a 50 yard FG before the half.  We gotta give ourselves a chance for those points and completion in the middle of the field ends the half.  You gotta know that when you come out of the huddle...know what kind of options you DON'T want to use even if they present themselves," etc.

I just want this kid to get the benefits of every perspective on the game.  Aaron Rodgers probably had TOO much time waiting and watching, David Carr probably had too little and definitely wasn't protected enough when he was thrown in there.  There's a middle ground.

We all know that we still have to wait thru TC & preseason ... If he still looks this good or better  I could be talked into putting Sam in week 1

those 3 games in the 1st11 days scares me though

i think week 4 was on the road

my perfect world week 5 home is the dawning of our savior !!!

jmo

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

McCown is 1 of 22 guys on the field between O and D.  If the other 21 had performed at his level that 5-11 would have been 11-5.  QB wasn't the issue last year IMO.

Your key words - IMO.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

He did ask Petty to roll the dice but I think Petty dropped them.  And, Hack couldn't even keep the dice on the table.

No he didn’t. Petty had to come in because McClown had his hand broken. Had this not happened, Petty would never have seen the field because both Bowles and Mac knew they made a major mistake taking Wack. They had to cover it up bedtbthey could. Gutless. Having Petty or Hack start wasn’t the issue.  Mac should have just went with both and let it ride. If they sucked, which was already a given, then they suck and we would have gotten the #1 pick. Instead Mac tried to save face from making the terrible decision to draft Wackenberg. McClown’s signing was just a dumb maneuver akin to putting lipstick on a pig. The Wack pick, in essence, cost this team 4 2nd round picks. Inexcusable. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not sure which football team you're a fan of but for Jets fans those are pretty f'ing good numbers given the performance of our QBs over the years.  I'd take his 94.5 QB Rating any day....which was better than Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger and the $80M Kirk Cousins last year.

He had a decent season but there was just no viable reason to sign him. And of the 5 wins the Jets had, the majority could easily have gone the other way.  In fact, McClown singlehandedly LOST several games because of his ineptitude. He ‘won’ 2 games. The other 3 were gift wrapped by the other team. STARTING an old back up QB to a team rebuilding was asinine. Young kids are going to play hard regardless of who the Qb is. You see, I watch the games closely and am not easily influenced by meaningless stats. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I want to see Darnold under Center in live games just like everyone else, but I'm still of the opinion that watching for at least a couple weeks would be a benefit for him.  Whether that's 2 weeks, 4 weeks, etc.  I don't know but I do think there's a benefit to seeing having the headset on, listening to sideline-to-QB communication, watching how things go and how an entire NFL game (or two) is managed by a veteran leader like McCown.  Then throw Sam in there!

I think it’s less about “ watching “ on the sidelines. He has a lot of little things to work on. From what we have heard he has improved a lot already. Why ? Because he is COMPLETLY focused all improving ironing out all those little kinks a rookie qb has. Especially a 21 yr old Who didn’t play that many games in college. My worry is, if he starts right away your taking away his concentration off the learning curve he is on now. Because he will then instead need to put all of his focus on studying the up coming opponents D, study what plays Bates want to run against that particular team.

I can’t to change my av to next starting qb, god willing hope will stay same for next 15 years ha

It's about Sam Darnold, this sit, don't sit thing is over played.

If he gets it he should play. He's going to play this year, and it's going to be sooner than later. Listening to Bates it sounds like sooner.

Sam seems to be able to learn at a faster rate than any young QB we've had since I've been a fan.

Bowles isn’t as dumb as you think. He knows he will be fired if he doesn’t play Darnold this year and he has a chance to be around for a while if he plays him and he plays well. He played McCown last year not because he was in love with him but because he was the best QB on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, BigO said:

Somebody here needs to dial it back. Being offensive does not make your argument more persuasive. It just makes you look like a d*ck. (Yeah, I know, you're an internet tough guy and don't care what anybody thinks, except that you're bothering to posture so you obviously do care). As to the argument that Mac should have blatantly tanked the season with Petty and Hackenberg, that's nice in a video game but doesn't wash in the real world.  No GM or coach wants to trot out a 0-16 record as a base for future success, because it will in all likelihood be someone else's success, while they get fired. Not to mention that McGown was actually pretty decent last year before his injury. The Jets kept their dignity and are actually in a very good position to be a playoff competitor within a season. With a strong QB room, a ton of cap space, and a young stable of players, their future is bright. That's all that really matters.

If the OL can be average and running game can keep the opposing DL honest, yeah start Sam. I doubt the Jets will know this until a few games into the season.

Also if McCown starts and plays well I don't see them pulling him in week 3 against the Browns for the battle of rookie QB's.

Also TB is not going to go away quitely so that adds another dimension. I hope the Jets have their TC plan ready because their are a few spots up for grabs..

Not going to be a cut and dry decision considering the tangibles...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

McCown is a year older & certainly he didn't get any better. The only way Darnold doesn't start is if falls on his face in preseason. 

Sam needs to get at least a quarter of work with the starters in the 1st two games and 2 full quarters in that 3rd preseason game. McCown will be on the sideline for him and might even be calling in the plays? 

Hes going to get every opportunity to prove they can start the season with him. The guy played at freaking USC & carried his lame offensive skill players in 2017. I don't see this as being to big for him at all. Handing off to a Pro in Crowell, throwing to Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, probably Tomlinson at TE early to help in the blocking. Crowell, Tomlinson & Enunwa are very good blockers, so I could easily see a bit of a conservative approach early in games to feel out the protections ect. Sam can sling it, so if he gets comfortable, he's gonna challenge defenses and any success will embolden Bates to keep opening the playbook up.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree with your timeline and your reasoning. I also believe he can learn some things from the sidelines, but that there's a point where the learning ends and you're just wasting time. The fact that the Jets have a new offense and zone blocking scheme also lead me to want someone other than the savior under center while the OL and offense get up to speed. That three games in 11 days thing, also, is a deterrent. No rookie QB, no matter how promising, should have short weeks to prepare for their second and third career starts. So week four, with extra time to prepare for a road game, or week five to start a three-game home stretch, would be my preference. 

But the opening day starter is either gonna be McCown or Darnold, Bridgewater is not in the picture. If Darnold opens the season on the bench, he'll be getting his coaching from his coaches, and from talking to McCown between offensive series. 

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo. Nobody saw that coming last yr. In a forum of know it all predictors, nobody likes to be blind sided by the 17 yr ?journeyman lol. Morton was unfairly criticized imo . Passing too much, too much down field ? Ya Todd since your D is the unit that is the 1 under performing, the offense had to score. We weren’t winning games 9-6 like planned. Robbie Anderson was the only real viable threat the O had, how dare he and his big play ability be targeted so much. Matt forte wants to run the ball 1.7 yards?‍♂️

Archived