Mehta: Jets Reach out to Steelers Regarding Le’Veon Bell

JetNation

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Trading a 5th round pick for a 7th round pick and the all-time single season receiving leader and all-time single season TD leader in Jets history is a phenomenal trade. 

And then you turn around and release the guy. Yeah we got a good rental. 

Now that I think about it...the scary thing about this situation is I can see Mac/Bowles making a dumb trade for him without the ability to negotiate a new contract because their seat is getting warmer and it would be a last ditch attempt to save their asses ??‍♂️ oh boy!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want Bell.  Not given what the Steelers will ask and worse yet, what Bell will ask for next season. 

But it's becoming a must-watch drama now as James Conner just continues to pile up yards and TDs.  Sort of reminds me of DEN when it seemed like the ball-boy could pile up 1,200 yards rushing (TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Portis).  Bell is a great RB but is he really special or is a lot of what he has done a function of the team?  Heck if I know but I think any team would be a little more wary of trading for him and paying him based on what Conner is doing so far.

I don't want Bell.  Not given what the Steelers will ask and worse yet, what Bell will ask for next season. 
But it's becoming a must-watch drama now as James Conner just continues to pile up yards and TDs.  Sort of reminds me of DEN when it seemed like the ball-boy could pile up 1,200 yards rushing (TD, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Portis).  Bell is a great RB but is he really special or is a lot of what he has done a function of the team?  Heck if I know but I think any team would be a little more wary of trading for him and paying him based on what Conner is doing so far.
It is really a hard sell anyway because if the Steelers hold him and let him hit free agency they could get a third round comp pick for him.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

It is really a hard sell anyway because if the Steelers hold him and let him hit free agency they could get a third round comp pick for him.

Good point.  But only if someone signs him.  Is any team going to offer him anywhere near the $15MM he thinks he's worth?  Could he end up sitting out as a FA next season?  Sounds impossible, but Bell hasn't shown himself to be a fully rational thinker so far. 

And by the way, if you want to have a bad chill, consider that situation leads to him doing a 1-year prove-it deal on the cheap with NE.  Feels like it's almost inevitable.

Good point.  But only if someone signs him.  Is any team going to offer him anywhere near the $15MM he thinks he's worth?  Could he end up sitting out as a FA next season?  Sounds impossible, but Bell hasn't shown himself to be a fully rational thinker so far. 
And by the way, if you want to have a bad chill, consider that situation leads to him doing a 1-year prove-it deal on the cheap with NE.  Feels like it's almost inevitable.
I think his agent would advise against him sitting out after how this season has played out my guess is he will settle around 10m per year

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I would be shocked if he doesn’t sign somewhere. It may not be 15 mil a year but for enough guaranteed money to get him off his couch. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

What exactly has Bell done that is "irrational"? The Steelers were going to squeeze everything they could out of him both last year and this. Then let him go for a 3rd round pick after this season if he didn't resign at their terms. He apparently has managed his money well, and foiled their plans by holding out, then coming back when he wants to. I hope when he does, he takes a few weeks to "get in football shape", then  gets a practice "injury" wink wink, and plays a game or two at the end of the season to show he's healthy. Then he'll get to sign a multi year contract with the team of his choosing, for a ton of guaranteed money. You and I should only wish to be as irrational.

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

What exactly has Bell done that is "irrational"? The Steelers were going to squeeze everything they could out of him both last year and this. Then let him go for a 3rd round pick after this season if he didn't resign at their terms. He apparently has managed his money well, and foiled their plans by holding out, then coming back when he wants to. I hope when he does, he takes a few weeks to "get in football shape", then  gets a practice "injury" wink wink, and plays a game or two at the end of the season to show he's healthy. Then he'll get to sign a multi year contract with the team of his choosing, for a ton of guaranteed money. You and I should only wish to be as irrational.

You skipped the part where I questioned whether any team would throw a ton of guaranteed money at a guy who was so easily replaced by James Conner.  Not saying Bell isn't a very good RB.  I just don't think he's as unique as he seems to think he is and I don't think he gets anywhere near what he thinks he is worth.  But the NFL has made us all look dumb before and I am prepared to be mistaken yet again.  

And to answer your question...I don't think he was wrong to turn down the deal PIT offered.  I think he is irrational in thinking he is worth $17MM/year.  And after Gurley signed for roughly $14.5MM/year Bell was left standing on an eroding ledge.  He'll probably be lucky to get $12MM/year next year from anyone and I'll be shocked if more than two years of it is guaranteed.  In the end, it may not be much or even any better than what PIT offered him.  

And just to round out my opinion here, I don't think any WR is worth that much either under the current cap.  I think the Giants were insane to give OBJ that contract.  Maybe if he was a model citizen with no injury history.  Maybe.  Sucks for RBs right now, and I don't think they're wrong to feel that way, but the market is what it is.  

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I would never pay a premium for a running back.  Conner is giving the steelers similar production maybe not quite as good but close enough.  Take that money and invest it elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I would never pay a premium for a running back.  Conner is giving the steelers similar production maybe not quite as good but close enough.  Take that money and invest it elsewhere.

Actually, I think it is just as good.  4th in NFL in yards rushing.  2nd in rushing TDs.  Almost 50 Y/G receiving.  Conner has 7 TDs.   Bell never had more than 9 in a season.  Got my popcorn ready.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You skipped the part where I questioned whether any team would throw a ton of guaranteed money at a guy who was so easily replaced by James Conner.  Not saying Bell isn't a very good RB.  I just don't think he's as unique as he seems to think he is and I don't think he gets anywhere near what he thinks he is worth.  But the NFL has made us all look dumb before and I am prepared to be mistaken yet again.  

And to answer your question...I don't think he was wrong to turn down the deal PIT offered.  I think he is irrational in thinking he is worth $17MM/year.  And after Gurley signed for roughly $14.5MM/year Bell was left standing on an eroding ledge.  He'll probably be lucky to get $12MM/year next year from anyone and I'll be shocked if more than two years of it is guaranteed.  In the end, it may not be much or even any better than what PIT offered him.  

And just to round out my opinion here, I don't think any WR is worth that much either under the current cap.  I think the Giants were insane to give OBJ that contract.  Maybe if he was a model citizen with no injury history.  Maybe.  Sucks for RBs right now, and I don't think they're wrong to feel that way, but the market is what it is.  

Lets go paragraph by paragraph. 1st Bell and Connor are not even remotely the same player. Bell's rushing and receiving skills are the best of any RB in the game. Period.  2nd Bell will get paid very well, and he was smart to save/protect his body this year. Also, prepare to be shocked at the guaranteed money he gets. 3rd is all your opinion, and I respect it. However, if elite players like the Bells or OBJs don't get paid, who will? Regardless of position, they are the among best in the game. Better to pay a sure thing then a C like Long or some other mediocre fraud agents. As a Jet fan you should see that. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Lets go paragraph by paragraph. 1st Bell and Connor are not even remotely the same player. Bell's rushing and receiving skills are the best of any RB in the game. Period.  2nd Bell will get paid very well, and he was smart to save/protect his body this year. Also, prepare to be shocked at the guaranteed money he gets. 3rd is all your opinion, and I respect it. However, if elite players like the Bells or OBJs don't get paid, who will? Regardless of position, they are the among best in the game. Better to pay a sure thing then a C like Long or some other mediocre fraud agents. As a Jet fan you should see that. 

You say Bell and Conner aren't the same player but they are putting up remarkably similar stats.  Conner is averaging 50 ypg receiving.  That's up there with Bell's best two seasons.  Bell had a higher ypg rushing average but Conner is getting TDs at a prodigious rate.  Hard to call it anything but a wash so far. 

I have nothing against Bell, but if I was ranking RBs right now in terms of who I would want to sign for 4-5 years and pay big money to, he would be hard pressed to make top-5.  Again, this is my own opinion.  Gurley, Barkley, Elliott, Gordon and Kamara all have at least a reasonable argument for top-5 as much as Bell and they are all younger.  Fournette and David Johnson have some injury questions or the would be in the mix as well.  

Now from what Bell says, he believes all those guys should be getting paid like top WRs.  And again, I'm not disagreeing with him.  Especially given that RBs don't last as long, it's a tough situation where they are underpaid during their rookie contracts when they actually probably offer the most value of any position from day 1.  By the time their payday rolls around, they are being considered 'too old'.  Personally, I think he's right and RBs are kind of screwed by the current economics of the CBA.  But good luck getting the QBs, DEs and WRs to agree to treat RBs differently under rookie deals.  

Maybe you will be right and Bell will come out looking smart in how he handled this.  If so, I don't begrudge him.  He's certainly a top-8 and probably a top-5 back in the league even now and should have 3-5 more very productive years.  If he gets a team to believe that and give him the fat contract with lots of guaranteed money he is asking for, good for him.  No tears for the Steelers here.

BTW, enjoying the discussion.  Civil, interesting and good points being made.  Thank you.

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You say Bell and Conner aren't the same player but they are putting up remarkably similar stats.  Conner is averaging 50 ypg receiving.  That's up there with Bell's best two seasons.  Bell had a higher ypg rushing average but Conner is getting TDs at a prodigious rate.  Hard to call it anything but a wash so far. 

I have nothing against Bell, but if I was ranking RBs right now in terms of who I would want to sign for 4-5 years and pay big money to, he would be hard pressed to make top-5.  Again, this is my own opinion.  Gurley, Barkley, Elliott, Gordon and Kamara all have at least a reasonable argument for top-5 as much as Bell and they are all younger.  Fournette and David Johnson have some injury questions or the would be in the mix as well.  

Now from what Bell says, he believes all those guys should be getting paid like top WRs.  And again, I'm not disagreeing with him.  Especially given that RBs don't last as long, it's a tough situation where they are underpaid during their rookie contracts when they actually probably offer the most value of any position from day 1.  By the time their payday rolls around, they are being considered 'too old'.  Personally, I think he's right and RBs are kind of screwed by the current economics of the CBA.  But good luck getting the QBs, DEs and WRs to agree to treat RBs differently under rookie deals.  

Maybe you will be right and Bell will come out looking smart in how he handled this.  If so, I don't begrudge him.  He's certainly a top-8 and probably a top-5 back in the league even now and should have 3-5 more very productive years.  If he gets a team to believe that and give him the fat contract with lots of guaranteed money he is asking for, good for him.  No tears for the Steelers here.

BTW, enjoying the discussion.  Civil, interesting and good points being made.  Thank you.

Same here, I'm enjoying it too. I think you're rating Bell lower among RBs then I would, but lets say your correct. The one factor that makes Bell worth so much isn't that he's better then anyone you named, and it isn't that he's only 27 either. It's that he's the one who's going to be available on an open free agent market. 

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Same here, I'm enjoying it too. I think you're rating Bell lower among RBs then I would, but lets say your correct. The one factor that makes Bell worth so much isn't that he's better then anyone you named, and it isn't that he's only 27 either. It's that he's the one who's going to be available on an open free agent market. 

Isn't that always the case.  The last guy to get paid usually is the highest paid each year.  You are probably right in that it might be why Bell cashes in a huge deal.  I'll be curious to see who ponies that up and how he performs.  If NFL fans are truly blessed, it will be an AFCN team.  Ravens could sure use a boost at RB.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Isn't that always the case.  The last guy to get paid usually is the highest paid each year.  You are probably right in that it might be why Bell cashes in a huge deal.  I'll be curious to see who ponies that up and how he performs.  If NFL fans are truly blessed, it will be an AFCN team.  Ravens could sure use a boost at RB.

That would kill Steeler fans, but be great for the league. I enjoyed talking with you. Have a good night. Early tee time tomorrow, LOL

I hope we don’t trade for him and he becomes a FA. With the lack of options for the upcoming FA, I’d be all for giving Bell his $ on a 3 year deal. 2 full guarenteed, 3rd cuttable if he falls off.

No picks for him please. But him + Crowell in our backfield, with a hopefully upgraded OL, WOW.

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

The reason to make a deal is that 3rd round comp pick won't hit until 2020.  That is an eternity in the NFL and having Bell in the locker room may do more harm than good. 

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

My goodness people, look at Conner....Pittsburgh RBs are extra effective because their passing game is so good. NO NO NO on Bell in any way.

Or, maybe they are just good at picking RBs? They keep plugging in different WRs and succeeding.  That was a pretty deep draft at RB, and he wasn't exactly a late pick.  

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The reason to make a deal is that 3rd round comp pick won't hit until 2020.  That is an eternity in the NFL and having Bell in the locker room may do more harm than good. 

Or, maybe they are just good at picking RBs? They keep plugging in different WRs and succeeding.  That was a pretty deep draft at RB, and he wasn't exactly a late pick.  

Possibly but if I am a GM no way do I pay Bell after the amount of carries he already has $16 million a year.

Archived