Jump to content
Lith

Boomer: Jets trying to acquire Chandler Jones

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Chandler-Jones.jpg

Former New York Jets quarterback and current NFL analyst Boomer Esiason raised a few eyebrows when he said he believes the Jets are making an attempt to acquire pass rusher Chandler Jones from the Arizona Cardinals.

Looking for a legitimate presence off the edge for a decade, importing Jones, who had 17 sacks last year and has 68 for his career would be a welcome addition to Todd Bowles’ defense.

The post Esiason: Jets Trying to Acquire Chandler Jones appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
poXCFQ-rkK8

Click here to read the full story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If true, the Jets are obsessed with DEs.

How long is he under contract?  Is this another Percy Harvin move?  Mac and Bowles will obviously be desperate.  

Personally, the front 7 have not been terrible.  I am more worried about injuries and the play of the secondary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, varjet said:

If true, the Jets are obsessed with DEs.

How long is he under contract?  Is this another Percy Harvin move?  Mac and Bowles will obviously be desperate.  

Personally, the front 7 have not been terrible.  I am more worried about injuries and the play of the secondary.  

4 sacks in all of ours games except for one week. We had 2 sacks in that week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hmm... what makes him believe that? And doesn’t Jones play DE in the 3-4?

He played edge in New England. Haven’t seen him play in Arizona but I doubt at 265 he can play 3-4 DE. When he played for NE, he looked like a protypical 3-4 Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones is better than any edge player we have and is surprisingly only 28. Feels like that guy has been in the league forever. I think he was in the Coples draft.

He is owed $20 mil next year. So, if we trade for him, I think we would need to restructure his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We should have just traded for Khalil Mack. 

I wish it were that easy because then I would agree. The whole trading out of conference thing is taken a little too seriously but I guess I get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking that if the Cardinals are having a fire sale and trying to ruin their young QB, who would I want? I COMPLETELY forgot about Jones because I assumed that it’s be crazy to trade him. I am on board for this 100%. Max is trade is both 3rds or less depending on how much time is left on his contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Any of those players would make us a LOT better.

It’s like going from Wesley Johnson to Spencer Long. Huge difference just from covering up a gigantic deficiency.

Scheming a rush has exceeded my expectation but to add a player like Jones is not only more affordable(salary and trade compensation) than Mack, it’ll still help us tremendously with our natural pass rush which we are still horrible at. 

We could use a little juice and something to pump this team up. Let’s stomp the colts and get this trade done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chandler Jones averages about 3/4 of a sack a games which is about 12 sacks over 16 games. He has 4 seasons with sack totals over 10 and already has 4 sacks (2 FF) this year in 5 games. He has 18 FF in his 6.5 year career. He's a legit pass rusher and is only 28 (almost exactly 1 year older than Khalil Mack). He isn't Khalil Mack but he is good.

For the right price, I wouldn't mind this trade at all. I would also extend him a couple of years since his contract expires after the 2019 season and he is getting paid $20 mil next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes the lousy player the pats brilliantly traded for a 2nd round pick which the pats then traded down with and a jag olineman.  Jones proceeded to put up 11 and then 17 sacks the last two years and has 4 already this year.

This would be a big get for the jets if the price is right.

But, once again,....... defense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Chandler Jones averages about 3/4 of a sack a games which is about 12 sacks over 16 games. He has 4 seasons with sack totals over 10 and already has 4 sacks (2 FF) this year in 5 games. He has 18 FF in his 6.5 year career. He's a legit pass rusher and is only 28 (almost exactly 1 year older than Khalil Mack). He isn't Khalil Mack but he is good.

For the right price, I wouldn't mind this trade at all. I would also extend him a couple of years since his contract expires after the 2019 season and he is getting paid $20 mil next year. 

VALUE. This is the type of pass rusher that I want in addition to a rookie. Plus this guy clearly has great technique and “stud” pass rushers seem to produce into their mid 30s for some reason so we can realistically get a GREAT 3 year run out of him and hopefully he’d still be a solid veteran rotational rusher later in his career. I’d love this move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw this. Do not use draft resources on more defense. Do everything you can to protect Darnold and get him weapons. That is VASTLY more important. Now you want to trade Skrine for Jones? Fine. Offense in todays NFL is at least twice as important as defense. Stop the insanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason to do this trade is how bare the free agent market is looking next year. Everyone has cap space and all the top free agents are already being signed. Ideally we would trade a 3rd and a player. But not sure what player they would want since most of our guys are on 1 year deals (at least the ones we would consider trading). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ah yes the lousy player the pats brilliantly traded for a 2nd round pick which the pats then traded down with and a jag olineman.  Jones proceeded to put up 11 and then 17 sacks the last two years and has 4 already this year.

This would be a big get for the jets if the price is right.

But, once again,....... defense.

 

It’s better they do it now so they can focus on offense in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

Get Winning Picks

×