Any nerds up in here (Books)

Paradis

On 7/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

No sh*t. Especially with Guns, Germs, and Steel readily available during the ******* tulip mania for copies of the stuff that got namechecked in Good Will Hunting as the season's must-have dorm room decorative element.

Fun fact but I actually think Gordon Wood is brilliant and his contribution to Oxford's U.S. History might be the best volume of the bunch; but I got to a point where on my shelves I hid his books behind the other ones because I couldn't stand the infinite Damon impressions anymore, and also subsequent Charlie imitations of GWH every single time someone lights up a joint.

• Post of the Week 1

Anyone reading David Baldacci?

Read through the very entertaining Amos Decker series (new one in Oct '20) and the first of the Archer series.

Not an All-Pro writer but maybe a pro bowl alternate.

Meanwhile, 90 yr old dad is reading Will Durant ... again. Dry stuff, Fan fact, Durant got his undergrad from St. Peter's (NJ) so at least he was a MAAC man. 

17 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Anyone reading David Baldacci?

Read through the very entertaining Amos Decker series (new one in Oct '20) and the first of the Archer series.

Not an All-Pro writer but maybe a pro bowl alternate.

Meanwhile, 90 yr old dad is reading Will Durant ... again. Dry stuff, Fan fact, Durant got his undergrad from St. Peter's (NJ) so at least he was a MAAC man. 

Yes.. Ive read pretty much all the Camel Club stuff and a few others.   LOVE going to DC when I visit my daughter and we go to restaurants  and stuff that he writes about in his books where meetings take place etc....

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Lost Fleet series. Love Sci Fi war trash.

"To you and your ships and their crews, may the living stars welcome you and shine on your valor, may your ancestors look upon you and stand ready to embrace you, may the memories of your names and your deeds shine in the minds of all who come after. You are not lost and not forgotten but forever remembered among the ranks of the honorable and courageous.”

Black Jack Geary, The Lost Fleet

On 11/17/2018 at 11:08 PM, The Crimson King said:

My entry level job about 1,000 years ago involved 3 1/2 years of travelling. On a plane every Monday or Tuesday, plane back home every Thursday or Friday. Kurt got me through a lot of those flights as did Carlos Castaneda, Asimov, Heinlein and Bradbury. Thank goodness for paperbacks or I would have become an alcoholic (although we got paid next to nothing, they allowed us to fly first class and booze was free)

Today I visited my local library and discovered that one can download books on your kindle for free. I feel like a kid in a candy shop (you get to a certain age and "free" becomes most appealing). Unfortunately the wife borrowed my kindle to read A Walk In the Woods so now I have to stare at her until she reads the last few chapters, although the smart move is to not stare too hard.

I had to reserve the new Grisham, which my Dad is reading and reports that it is a step up from his usual fare and not some formula based lawyer bashing quickie so I have to wait for the library to free up a kindle copy. I also looked for several books that I had to recommend as they did not "own" them. I would appreciate an opinion from anyone who has read one of these titles:

1. Dragon's Egg (by Robert Forward)
  2. I'm Keith Hernandez (the book about his early minor league career that he plugged all summer)
  3. The Little League that Could (about the AFL)
  4. Power, Passion and Beauty (by Walter Kolosky)
  5. Bill Bruford's autobiography

They have the kindle app for the iPad. 

the ebooks thing is great from the library. 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:21 PM, The Crimson King said:

How about Lee Child's Jack Reacher?

KInda the same book over and over again but we got addicted and read all 25 or so in order in less than 2 months. Now we're sad because there are no more and the next one isn't out until October. Don't mess with Jack. 

If you are looking for a quick chuckle, Dave Barry writes some amusing stuff. 

Mrs. Crimson decided to start on James Patterson in order but there are a LOT of books. I figure that they were all good due to the superb undergraduate education he received  but she says that the first couple are a bit slow

Have you read Vince Flynn.  Found him better than jack reacher. 

On 11/17/2018 at 8:08 PM, The Crimson King said:

Today I visited my local library and discovered that one can download books on your kindle for free. I feel like a kid in a candy shop (you get to a certain age and "free" becomes most appealing). Unfortunately the wife borrowed my kindle to read A Walk In the Woods so now I have to stare at her until she reads the last few chapters, although the smart move is to not stare too hard.

Just a FYI but you don't need to physically go to the library for this. Download Overdrive to your tablet or phone and it will plug you into every library in America and their eBook/audiobook collection. Some you need a residence for a digital library card, but many you don't. Lotta popular stuff on there and you'll even have access to new releases; sometimes not immediately but you can get on the waiting list for, and it's all 100% free.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Kinda different subject but still a good read. 

Matt Rapp. Would be an interesting fight but Jack would crush him in the end

Isn't it MItch Rapp?  All depends, if it is the Tom Cruise version of Jack Reacher, then Jack wouldn't stand a chance.  

38 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just a FYI but you don't need to physically go to the library for this. Download Overdrive to your tablet or phone and it will plug you into every library in America and their eBook/audiobook collection. Some you need a residence for a digital library card, but many you don't. Lotta popular stuff on there and you'll even have access to new releases; sometimes not immediately but you can get on the waiting list for, and it's all 100% free.

did not realize you don't need a residency to get a digital library card.  is there a way to search to see if a book is available anywhere and then just get it (i.e. no residency requirement). 

i use it for the long island library we have a pass to.  don't use it for the NYC libraries, not sure why.

28 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

did not realize you don't need a residency to get a digital library card.  is there a way to search to see if a book is available anywhere and then just get it (i.e. no residency requirement). 

i use it for the long island library we have a pass to.  don't use it for the NYC libraries, not sure why.

There may be but if there is I am not sure of it. My experience is you have to search each library individually, but if someone knows an easier way by all means please let me know.

If I recall correctly you have to be in NY to get an NY card, but not residing, so if you live in Long Island you should be able to sign up for a digital card for any of the libraries throughout NY easily. A common thing with digital cards is you just enter your number and the library checks if you are physically standing, in that moment, in the county, if so then you're good. They don't verify your residence. Next time you're in the city sign up for a digital card on Overdrive and you'll get access forever. Same with Brooklyn, Queens...etc.

Not every library does things this way. Some you can get digital cards for without even having to be there. Some you have to have a residence for. It depends. But they are all on the same app and literally every library that offers digital stuff in the country is on there, so it's almost endless.

Overdrive is the bomb. Audible and Audiobooks subscriptions are great but tbh I would say at least 75% of the time I can find what I want for free on Overdrive. Ditto for eBooks, though I'm not a big eBook guy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just went to the building once. Set up an account that also included Overdrive, order on the laptop and it delivers to the Kindle through Amazon.

Easy peasy. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Isn't it MItch Rapp?  All depends, if it is the Tom Cruise version of Jack Reacher, then Jack wouldn't stand a chance.  

Oops. Of course you are right. Matt Rapp was someone from high school.

Of course all Reacher fans railed against Cruise playing the character. Made him something else entirely. I think that the plan is to cast someone appropriate and do a TV series. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There may be but if there is I am not sure of it. My experience is you have to search each library individually, but if someone knows an easier way by all means please let me know.

If I recall correctly you have to be in NY to get an NY card, but not residing, so if you live in Long Island you should be able to sign up for a digital card for any of the libraries throughout NY easily. A common thing with digital cards is you just enter your number and the library checks if you are physically standing, in that moment, in the county, if so then you're good. They don't verify your residence. Next time you're in the city sign up for a digital card on Overdrive and you'll get access forever. Same with Brooklyn, Queens...etc.

Not every library does things this way. Some you can get digital cards for without even having to be there. Some you have to have a residence for. It depends. But they are all on the same app and literally every library that offers digital stuff in the country is on there, so it's almost endless.

Overdrive is the bomb. Audible and Audiobooks subscriptions are great but tbh I would say at least 75% of the time I can find what I want for free on Overdrive. Ditto for eBooks, though I'm not a big eBook guy.

Interesting on just being physically there. We have a library card for East Hampton  but with the overdrive we rarely go there now that the kids read more than just picture books.   The nyc library card doesn’t get used much since we don’t have electronic access with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:26 PM, The Crimson King said:

Oops. Of course you are right. Matt Rapp was someone from high school.

Of course all Reacher fans railed against Cruise playing the character. Made him something else entirely. I think that the plan is to cast someone appropriate and do a TV series. 

Just went thru the latest Mitch rapp book.  It’s okay easy read. Think the new author isn’t as good as the original one who died. 

reading ward Larsen also. He’s got a couple that were good.  Same genre 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Just went thru the latest Mitch rapp book.  It’s okay easy read. Think the new author isn’t as good as the original one who died. 

reading ward Larsen also. He’s got a couple that were good.  Same genre 

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was simply absurd. 

• Upvote 2

In between semesters and having time for fiction is nice. Picked up Wanderers by Chuck Wendig and it is thoroughly enjoyable. A bit much on the political allegories at some times, but the characters keep it moving.

Finally going to sit down with New York 2140 this weekend. Kim Stanley Robinson is the man.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

In between semesters and having time for fiction is nice. Picked up Wanderers by Chuck Wendig and it is thoroughly enjoyable. A bit much on the political allegories at some times, but the characters keep it moving.

Finally going to sit down with New York 2140 this weekend. Kim Stanley Robinson is the man.

In between Semesters go have fun!

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2018 at 4:41 PM, Larz said:

Vonnegut fan here

I've read the hobbit and LOTR several times as well

but

Vonnegut is like having a genius in my head that knows me and wants to teach me something

the first time I read the sirens of Titan I thought it was about religion

the second time I read it I thought it was about friendship

the third time love

the next time only everything

Bluebeard is less well known but it's about soul. Not spiritual so to speak but what really matters in a human life. One of the best endings to a novel I've ever read

I read Bluebeard and sirens about once a year

read all vonnegut in HS...  loved it...  never went back tho

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished Demonic Males and The Essential Difference and thought both were great.  Now reading Broken Genius after Baron Cohen mentioned William Shockley in The Essential Difference.  Super strange story.

On 11/6/2018 at 5:01 PM, Paradis said:

Curious if anyone else here still reads.... which is kind of misleading I’m on 40/60 book/audiobook at this point in my life.... with how much time I spend in transit and general upkeep around the house, audiobooks is the holy grail.

Lately I’ve stuck reading the more intellectual/social commentary stuff, and audio the fiction side.

I’m on book 7 of the Fall Of the Malazan series (fantasy/history).... insanely good. Take the stuff that made GOTs good and put into a greek mythology angle or sorts. Wild. Author is prof in anthropology and philosophy or something similar. So the sh*t is deeeeep. Highly recommend

In the last year I’ve chewed my way through all 4 Hyperion books, 6 Malazan, 3 dark tower, 5 death lands - all on audio book.

Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witness!

On 12/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Lost Fleet series. Love Sci Fi war trash.

"To you and your ships and their crews, may the living stars welcome you and shine on your valor, may your ancestors look upon you and stand ready to embrace you, may the memories of your names and your deeds shine in the minds of all who come after. You are not lost and not forgotten but forever remembered among the ranks of the honorable and courageous.”

Black Jack Geary, The Lost Fleet

Ever read the Red Rising series? 

Used to read a lot of sci-fi when I was a kid; hadn't in years, then picked up the first Red Rising a few weeks ago.  I am on book 3 in the series now.  Very uneven, stretches where I get bored, but other stretches that keep my hooked.  I will probably just finish the original trilogy and then move on to something else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 11:33 PM, Beerfish said:

I read two genres of literature.

Science Fiction (Scalzi, Niven, Vinge etc)

19th century literature (Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Dostoevsky, Eliot, Thomas Hardy)

Dostoevsky! The man. You are quite the intellectual. Dickens Great Expectations is one of my faves. And Somerset Maughn as well.  Razors Edge made into a movie -original black and white 1947 was just phenomenal.

• 2 months later...