Deontay Burnett

sheastadiumjetfan

This shouldn’t even be a discussion. He flashed in limited action.  Quite honestly, I have no idea why he wasn’t playing ahead of curse. He has chemistry with Donald, a history of being productive and is a natural WR when the balls in the air (hands, tracking, focus etc)

if he’s not competing for a role this summer, then I fcking give up 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This shouldn’t even be a discussion. He flashed in limited action.  Quite honestly, I have no idea why he wasn’t playing ahead of curse. He has chemistry with Donald, a history of being productive and is a natural WR when the balls in the air (hands, tracking, focus etc)

if he’s not competing for a role this summer, then I fcking give up 

One of the biggest (out of the many) gripes I had with Bowles, was that he always seemed to play aging mediocre veterans in meaningless games, instead of trying to audition cheap young players. Can't catch lightning in a bottle if you don't even try.  

On 2/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, sheastadiumjetfan said:

This guy has the potential to really explode if used properly next year. Bowles and Bates really never gave this kid enough opportunities. When they did at the end of the season the kid produced and executed for 14 yard tough catches.

If you watched him play at USC he had over 1000 yards and was Sams favorite target. The  kid can run different routes has very good hands and can outright play football. I hope Adam Gase  and the new coaching give this kid the opportunity he deserves plus he’s cheap and has excellent chemistry w Sam .

the one handed “OBJ like grab “against Greenbay last year past the end zone  was a thing of beauty and may indicate more to come.

What are board’s thoughts on his development as a slot WR under Gase ? I think there’s room to be excited here if the Jets brass dont blow it and count him out. You know he’d be a stud on NE w TB/BB.

Just hope they give him a real chance to execute with Sam next year and not keep him on the bench and /or trade him . He’s a low risk very high reward kid. Can he earn a starting role under our  new CS? 

Idiot prior coaching staff should have played him earlier. If anything then just for his chemistry with Sam. There were a bunch of young guys they should have played but didn't because Todd was trying to save his job even after all hope was gone.

10 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Idiot prior coaching staff should have played him earlier. If anything then just for his chemistry with Sam. There were a bunch of young guys they should have played but didn't because Todd was trying to save his job even after all hope was gone.

Funny thing is that insisting on starting McCown when Darnold might have been still able to play sealed his fate.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:13 AM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Perception is the kids slow, not the case.  Perception is the kid's small, not the case.  What he is, is a football player.  Some guys just know how go get open, run routes and catch the ball.  Very likely he's one of these.  Deserves a chance. Expect he'll get one. Young, has chemistry with Sam, what've we got to lose? Not a second round draft pick; this time.

Well... He's not big and I don't think he is particularly fast.  He didn't test at the combine because of a hamstring injury, but they measured him. The argument about his numbers is that they were influenced by the injury, but his pre-draft numbers were pathetic. Check the graph. Yikes!  They had better not count on this kid for anything, but he deserves an opportunity.  Seems like he may bring something to the table.  Looking at him, he was desperately in need of some muscle.  Age is some of that, but he is coming from USC, not Northern Iowa.  I'd have expected somebody to put him on "the Program."  Besides seeming to be limited to the slot, Burnett doesn't seem to offer anything on specials, which can be a problem as a 4-5-6 WR competing with guys like Peake.

Based on tape, I'd have expected Burnett to be drafted and Janarion Grant to at least be a PFA, but both tested poorly and went undrafted.  Both made teams and look like they may have a place in the league after/if they  muscle up.  Grant needs some strength to prevent fumbling.  I wanted to bring both to camp. For the record, I think Burnett is an ERFA.  He is not signed, but the Jets can tender him at a minimal amount and he has no choice but to stay with them.

Burnett is also very young. At 21, he is younger than a lot of the guys coming out this year. I still think he has room to grow as a receiver and can be that kid that finds a way to be a really good NFL WR without having the elite measurables. 

What I have noticed from Burnett in college and his limited time with the Jets was that he takes really good angles to the ball which is a skill that is tough to measure. Some guys are fast, run good routes but they aren't great at tracking the ball. I think that is why Darnold liked him college and this past year. Darnold trusts Burnett to be where he throws the ball to, especially when the play breaks down. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well... He's not big and I don't think he is particularly fast.  He didn't test at the combine because of a hamstring injury, but they measured him. The argument about his numbers is that they were influenced by the injury, but his pre-draft numbers were pathetic. Check the graph. Yikes!  They had better not count on this kid for anything, but he deserves an opportunity.  Seems like he may bring something to the table.  Looking at him, he was desperately in need of some muscle.  Age is some of that, but he is coming from USC, not Northern Iowa.  I'd have expected somebody to put him on "the Program."  Besides seeming to be limited to the slot, Burnett doesn't seem to offer anything on specials, which can be a problem as a 4-5-6 WR competing with guys like Peake.

Based on tape, I'd have expected Burnett to be drafted and Janarion Grant to at least be a PFA, but both tested poorly and went undrafted.  Both made teams and look like they may have a place in the league after/if they  muscle up.  Grant needs some strength to prevent fumbling.  I wanted to bring both to camp. For the record, I think Burnett is an ERFA.  He is not signed, but the Jets can tender him at a minimal amount and he has no choice but to stay with them.

I have seen his 40 times range from 4.32 to 4.53, so who knows. In any event although 4,53 isn't fast, he is pretty universally acknowledged as being "quick", which he demonstrated at various times last season, and is more important anyway.  I have also seen his height listed at 5'11" and as much as 6'1".  Again who knows, but while not being a giant, he is hardly  Tarik Cohen, who ran a 4.42, by the way.  Julian Edelman 5'10", 4,52 looked just fine yesterday playing in the slot.  I know he outweighs Burnett by 10# but you get my point.  I get your point about the Special Teams, but I too liked Peake as a prospect but have been disappointed in his development as a receiver.  Like I  said, he has shown an ability to get open and great hands, let's see what happens.

32 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I have seen his 40 times range from 4.32 to 4.53, so who knows. In any event although 4,53 isn't fast, he is pretty universally acknowledged as being "quick", which he demonstrated at various times last season, and is more important anyway.  I have also seen his height listed at 5'11" and as much as 6'1".  Again who knows, but while not being a giant, he is hardly  Tarik Cohen, who ran a 4.42, by the way.  Julian Edelman 5'10", 4,52 looked just fine yesterday playing in the slot.  I know he outweighs Burnett by 10# but you get my point.  I get your point about the Special Teams, but I too liked Peake as a prospect but have been disappointed in his development as a receiver.  Like I  said, he has shown an ability to get open and great hands, let's see what happens.

People saying he is slow are usually quoting his pre-draft workout times which were multiple 4.70s.  As I said, he had a hamstring injury, but maybe teams didn't like that he wouldn't/couldn't push himself.  As I said, I am fully in favor ot seeing what he has, but I certainly hope his existence does not prevent us from bringing any other skill players into camp. . 

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It actually amazes me people are down on Burnett considering his play on the field both in preseason and regular season and the obvious chemistry with Darnold. 

Who is down on Burnett?  My post is probably the most negative and I love the guy.  I just want to temper the enthusiasm which leads to people thinking guys like this should be handed jobs.

35 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It actually amazes me people are down on Burnett considering his play on the field both in preseason and regular season and the obvious chemistry with Darnold. 

Who would this be?  Not seeing it

Good lord, some of you people are over analyzing this.  Tay was an undrafted free agent you got for peanuts, no one expects him to be a #1 or even #2, nor does he negate the need to draft/sign FA WRs.  He’s shown he has his role.

You have a player - cheap, that your QB trusts because he’s always where he should be.  Tay is a smart football player, he was the guy that broke from his route in the Rose Bowl (video above) when he saw a play opening up in the end zone - then Sam saw what Tay saw and threw a bullet between two defenders because he knew Tay would catch it.  It was not a designed play.  Sam credited him for that play.  

Where does that come in the measureables stats?  It’s called football smarts, and football is a game of intangibles, heart and the drive to improve and the desire to win.

The Titian’s wanted him (Tay) back, but he chose the Jets because Sam was here, you lucked out over a UFA vs most of the guys you did draft and overpaid.

3 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

One of the biggest (out of the many) gripes I had with Bowles, was that he always seemed to play aging mediocre veterans in meaningless games, instead of trying to audition cheap young players. Can't catch lightning in a bottle if you don't even try.  

Trying in vain to win games, and save his job.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The preseason is what gets lost a bit in Burnett's analysis, he really produced in the pre-season and should have made the Titans roster.

Speed and measurable only get you so far - Burnett seems like a good football player, and that is what we need.  He should be given every opportunity to be the 3rd WR behind Robby and Enunwa

I'm going to be the a-hole here. This kid is good for depth and we should bury him in the depth chart. Get better receivers if possible and let the kid try and flash when the other guys are tired and need to take a few snaps off. Mediocore players should not be treated as all pro starters because they have a nice story and a touchdown.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, bealeb319 said:

I'm going to be the a-hole here. This kid is good for depth and we should bury him in the depth chart. Get better receivers if possible and let the kid try and flash when the other guys are tired and need to take a few snaps off. Mediocore players should not be treated as all pro starters because they have a nice story and a touchdown.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No one is saying cut the kid but if he’s starting at slot next year week 1 Macc has seriously f’d up

Good lord, some of you people are over analyzing this.  Tay was an undrafted free agent you got for peanuts, no one expects him to be a #1 or even #2, nor does he negate the need to draft/sign FA WRs.  He’s shown he has his role.
You have a player - cheap, that your QB trusts because he’s always where he should be.  Tay is a smart football player, he was the guy that broke from his route in the Rose Bowl (video above) when he saw a play opening up in the end zone - then Sam saw what Tay saw and threw a bullet between two defenders because he knew Tay would catch it.  It was not a designed play.  Sam credited him for that play.  
Where does that come in the measureables stats?  It’s called football smarts, and football is a game of intangibles, heart and the drive to improve and the desire to win.
The Titian’s wanted him (Tay) back, but he chose the Jets because Sam was here, you lucked out over a UFA vs most of the guys you did draft and overpaid.

Do you happen to know if the Jets ever called him after the draft before he chose the Titans?

Thx

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No one is saying cut the kid but if he’s starting at slot next year week 1 Macc has seriously f’d up

I think we should show at least a little faith in our new WR coach. If he thinks Burnett can get the job done, we should see if he's right. Drafting someone late is probably in the cards. Chrebet, was a walk on, for heavens sake.

24 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Do you happen to know if the Jets ever called him after the draft before he chose the Titans?

Thx

No, Jets called after he was waived by the Titans, but they (Titans) wanted him back, but he chose the Jets.  Significant because Adoree’ and Jurell Casey were there, so he had support in Nashville, but he chose to be with Sam.

No, Jets called after he was waived by the Titans, but they (Titans) wanted him back, but he chose the Jets.  Significant because Adoree’ and Jurell Casey were there, so he had support in Nashville, but he chose to be with Sam.
Ok thanks for the info. Again I was surprised the Jets didn't go after him right after the draft considering the connection with Sam...

12 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Ok thanks for the info. Again I was surprised the Jets didn't go after him right after the draft considering the connection with Sam...

From everything I read here, I’m not surprised.  Lol.

Evidently, Tay was a fan favorite when he was in Nashville.  My son-in-law works on weekend game days for the Titans, he loves it, he gives me news on my guys there.

From everything I read here, I’m not surprised.  Lol.
Evidently, Tay was a fan favorite when he was in Nashville.  My son-in-law works on weekend game days for the Titans, he loves it, he gives me news on my guys there.
Great info thx!
Well that makes sense. In a way it's probably better they started their separate ways, may work out for the better.

Archived