Are the Jets an expansion team?

WayneChrebet80

19 hours ago, Pac said:

Pretty much why I haven't been paying that much attention to the board until March 13th. 

So many people wanting to waive the white flag in February is pathetic.  They act like Macc doesn't know he's on the clock.  He's got 2 years max to make it happen or he's gone. 

The team will look completely different (for the better) 2 months from now yet all anyone wants to do is get in the fetal position and whimper.

Yes, everything is going to be ok because our GM isn’t just stupid anymore; now he’s stupid and desperate!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bitonti said:

it made sense from the not having to buy out Mac and pay a replacement GM perspective 

also it makes sense to rig the coaching search toward cheaper, more desperate candidates. Guys with options like McCarthy and Rhule don't want that over their head. The arranged marriage quote with Rhule people assumed was about Gregg Williams, it could just as easily been about Mac.

The Jets are 2nd in attendance, 6th in total value and 30th in power rankings. It doesn't make financial sense to try to win. see everything through the lens of the Johnson's keeping the lights on in the cheapest possible way and suddenly these moves make sense 

I’ve resisted believing this because it’s more of a Mets Truth, but I’m starting to think you’ve been right on this. Did they ever release the terms of Gase’s contract? 

3 hours ago, slats said:

The other teams I mentioned have their own RFA/ERFAs not listed, too. The Jets have let a few inexpensive players walk that I didn't expect, same thing could happen with those free agents. We don't know. They are behind the teams I mentioned in plain numbers by 15-20 players at the starting line. But the thing is, of course, that the Jets have been a bad football team for a number of years now, going 14-34 over the last three years. So the Jets not only have fewer players, they have fewer good ones. There's talk Crowell will be cut. The team needs a couple or a few new starters on the OL, do they continue to pay Winters $6M/year after that? Or is that a new hole? 

They're losing two starting OL and a starting WR to free agency. They need to be replaced with better (read: probably more expensive) players. They need a starting caliber RB or two depending on what they do with Crowell and Powell. On defense, which no one wants to talk about, 2/3s of their starting DL and Morris Claiborne are free agents. Jason Myers and Andre Roberts are free agents. Is anyone in the pipe to replace these guys? Not really. 

That's eight starters they need to replace. That's before they start to make improvements to their other weak starters. And then they have to fill out depth because they're still not up to 53 players when teams bring 90 to training camp. 

That $102M isn't as much -and won't do as much- as people seem to believe. 

Great post.  That's exactly it.  Because the Jets have so many holes, they really dont have the luxury to look at the roster and make significant upgrades.  And the issue here is; the Jets need to make significant upgrades because the roster is terrible.  It would be one thing if we had all these holes to fill but the dudes we do have under contract were solid players but unfortunately, outside of Williams, Adams and Darnold, every single player could be upgraded.  And the other side of the coin is, just fielding a team of 90 during the preseason for camp bodies costs money and sure they dont matter in the big picture but it slowly chips away at the 102.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Same here. We finally get a guy who has a chance to be The Guy, and we can’t get excited because the GM is so bad we’re going into the offseason needing to fill literally half the roster, including every non-QB position that matters. 

It’s really a gut punch, even worse than keeping Rex for his sixth doomed season. It makes no sense other than 1. Maccagnan convinced Chris Johnson that Bowles was JUST THAT BAD, or 2. The Johnsons didn’t want to eat the, what, $2 mil Macc is owed? 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve resisted believing this because it’s more of a Mets Truth, but I’m starting to think you’ve been right on this. Did they ever release the terms of Gase’s contract? 

Meh it's still malarky.  This is the NFL not the MLB or NBA.  If there were any truth to this; why offer the money they did to Cousins?  Why fire Todd Bowles?  Why draft Sam Darnold?  

The Johnson's want to win, they're just bozos. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh it's still malarky.  This is the NFL not the MLB or NBA.  If there were any truth to this; why offer the money they did to Cousins?  Why fire Todd Bowles?  Why draft Sam Darnold?  

The Johnson's want to win, they're just bozos. 

Because player salaries are sunk costs within the salary cap. Management positions are paid out of pocket.

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2. The Johnsons didn’t want to eat the, what, $2 mil Macc is owed? 

it's not just the 2 mil Macc was owed, or what it would case to replace the GM (another multiple mil) 

Macc ran the coaching search. He's the football guy in the room with Chris Johnson. 

If they fired Macc, they'd have to hire a consulting/executive search firm or someone like Charlie Casserly to find Adam Gase 

besides, Macc is next year's scapegoat. and the next GM they hire will be hamstrung by Gase and Williams etc. It's the circle of life

They don't ever find a way to win but they need someone to fire every year.  the fans accept turnover as progress. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, WayneChrebet80 said:

If you look at their roster please who on the team right now is guaranteed to be here after 2019 You probably cant name more than five or six guys. That is unheard of. 

Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, Tru Johnson, Marcus Maye, Eli McGuire, Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa. That is 8 guys that will be on the team in 2020.

They will have more. I predict the final roster won't be lower than 35 guys.

Simply put, the "Rule of 51" states that, during the entirety of the off-season from the first day of the league year until the first game, the team's salary-cap status is determined by the 51 highest-value contracts on their roster.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/2/26/11111236/nfl-101-explaining-futures-contracts-and-the-rule-of-51

So a team could have the top 51 players salaries total the salary cap with the cheapest of that 51 being, lets say $1,000,001.00.  Then sign 37 other players at $1M a piece.  With the NFL total salary cap around $200M, teams can have the 51 players = $200M and have 39 other players signed at any amount less than the lowest of the 51 players which means they acually could be at $200M+ 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not just the 2 mil Macc was owed, or what it would case to replace the GM (another multiple mil) 

Macc ran the coaching search. He's the football guy in the room with Chris Johnson. 

If they fired Macc, they'd have to hire a consulting/executive search firm or someone like Charlie Casserly to find Adam Gase 

besides, Macc is next year's scapegoat. They don't ever find a way to win but they need someone to fire every year.  the fans accept turnover as progress. 

We can’t just start firing people regularly now after building up credit as being patient by sticking with Mac and Bowles for an undeserved 4 years.......but we will have to. If we fire Mac, we look like an unstable mess. If we keep him, we are doomed from a roster standpoint. We missed our chance and will probably be set back YEARS now while simultaneously ruining Darnold or at least making his time here so miserable that he leaves and has a good career elsewhere.

I know this sounds really negative but it is much more likely that this happens than anything else. I hope like hell that I am wrong but why should I have faith in this freak show that’s gotten worse over the years despite things having already been bad?

We are the new Browns and unless Sam is phenomenal (he has the potential), he cannot compensate for a trash/mismanaged roster that has been systematically put into a gigantic hole in an era where drafting is more crucial than ever. This is especially true since most quality players are resigned by their own team and whoever is left in free agency goes to more favorable situations or we overpay the scraps. It’s such a shame. 

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because player salaries are sunk costs within the salary cap. Management positions are paid out of pocket.

Sure but then why hire Gase?  I assume because of his prior Head Coaching experience he has a higher price tag than some of the coordinators that were being considered.  Why even entertain McCarthy?  And then why go sign a big name defensive coordinator to pair with Gase?  You could have just signed some "up and coming" DB coach from a team who once picked off Brady during their tenure and paid him next to nothing.

And let's be real, Chris Johnson had no clue who he was hiring until he got a phone call from Peyton Manning.  When he hung up the phone and changed his urine filled boxer shorts, 3 thoughts ran through his feeble mind.  1st Holy sh*t, I just got a call from Peyton Manning.  2nd OMG, he knows so much more about Football better than I ever will, I have to do what he says.  3rd This is my opportunity to gain instant cred in among the NFL elite. 

On 2/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, WayneChrebet80 said:

After today the Jets have 32 players under contract which is pitiful and unheard of. 

Poor drafting, poor FA choices, and poor planning overall produces a roster this thin and sparse, but let's still defend Mac.  He is one Sam Darnold pick away from being one of the worst GM's in football over the last 30 years.  

Sorry, haven't complained about Mac in a few days.  Had to get it out of my system.   

40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

besides, Macc is next year's scapegoat. and the next GM they hire will be hamstrung by Gase and Williams etc. It's the circle of life

They don't ever find a way to win but they need someone to fire every year.  the fans accept turnover as progress. 

This is very, very depressing.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but then why hire Gase?  I assume because of his prior Head Coaching experience he has a higher price tag than some of the coordinators that were being considered.  Why even entertain McCarthy?  And then why go sign a big name defensive coordinator to pair with Gase?  You could have just signed some "up and coming" DB coach from a team who once picked off Brady during their tenure and paid him next to nothing.

And let's be real, Chris Johnson had no clue who he was hiring until he got a phone call from Peyton Manning.  When he hung up the phone and changed his urine filled boxer shorts, 3 thoughts ran through his feeble mind.  1st Holy sh*t, I just got a call from Peyton Manning.  2nd OMG, he knows so much more about Football better than I ever will, I have to do what he says.  3rd This is my opportunity to gain instant cred in among the NFL elite. 

I’d be shocked if Gase got more than $3 mil per, and Williams is likely getting $1-$1.5 mil. McCarthy would have stroked them for $8 milly by himself. I’d imagine the Peyton Manning call, combined with Gase’s leverage being less than zero, contributed, but hopefully it was because Darnold liked their Skype session.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:17 AM, choon328 said:

There are 11 players who are either a RFA or ERFA that I believe will be on the roster. Here they are:

RFA

TE Tomlinson

This clown above had better be on the roster just to clean dirty jock straps. I don't want that scrub anywhere near the field.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mr. Shane I'm as down on Mac as anyone. I'd bet I'd beat you to the punch on Mac's criticisms. I practically wrote the book. But I fear you're going overboard here? Do you really want to turn up some time when the Jets are a playoff team with egg on your face?

Despite all the bad Mac has provided, there's a very compelling case to be made why Mac should've been retained.

1) He almost always takes the BPA. I love that part of his drafting. It was a no brainer to take guys like Williams and Adams. They were hands down the best players on the board.

2) Mac is a fiscal genius. The team talent may be suffering quite seriously, but they have LOT of cap space to show for it. They WILL be big players for top notch talent in FA.

3) He attracts good coaches? The jury is out on Gase so I won't say anything about that, but Williams is as good of a DC in the league today. That's a feather in Mac's cap to know that Williams likes what Mac has done developing the Jets defense.

4) Are we absolutely certain Mac sucks at drafting? A lot of draft choices were made to appease coaches on the staff and not necessarily who Mac wanted? Let's see what he does now that he's working with HIS guy.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Great post.  That's exactly it.  Because the Jets have so many holes, they really dont have the luxury to look at the roster and make significant upgrades.  And the issue here is; the Jets need to make significant upgrades because the roster is terrible.  It would be one thing if we had all these holes to fill but the dudes we do have under contract were solid players but unfortunately, outside of Williams, Adams and Darnold, every single player could be upgraded.  And the other side of the coin is, just fielding a team of 90 during the preseason for camp bodies costs money and sure they dont matter in the big picture but it slowly chips away at the 102.

The only players who count against the cap are the top 53, that's it. The other 37 players that make up the 90 man roster do not count against the cap.

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Mr. Shane I'm as down on Mac as anyone. I'd bet I'd beat you to the punch on Mac's criticisms. I practically wrote the book. But I fear you're going overboard here? Do you really want to turn up some time when the Jets are a playoff team with egg on your face?

Despite all the bad Mac has provided, there's a very compelling case to be made why Mac should've been retained.

1) He almost always takes the BPA. I love that part of his drafting. It was a no brainer to take guys like Williams and Adams. They were hands down the best players on the board.

2) Mac is a fiscal genius. The team talent may be suffering quite seriously, but they have LOT of cap space to show for it. They WILL be big players for top notch talent in FA.

3) He attracts good coaches?The jury is out on Gase so I won't say anything about that, but Williams is as good of a DC in the league today. That's a feather in Mac's cap to know that Williams likes what Mac has done developing the Jets defense.

4) Are we absolutely certain Mac sucks at drafting? A lot of draft choices were made to appease coaches on the staff and not necessarily who Mac wanted? Let's see what he does now that he's working with HIS guy.

I sense you may get some "blowback" in some quarters  of JetNation for the highlighted parts of this post, at least.  Put your boots on because "It's" about to get deep, I  suspect...….?

11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

3) He attracts good coaches? The jury is out on Gase so I won't say anything about that, but Williams is as good of a DC in the league today. That's a feather in Mac's cap to know that Williams likes what Mac has done developing the Jets defense.

The only reason in my mind McCagnan is still here is that he might have finally found the elusive franchise QB. 

Although please explain to me how he is a fiscal genius when his three big money deals (Revis, Wilkerson, and Trumaine) all blew up in his face? The guy shelled out 127MM in guanrateed dollars to three guys who absolutely mailed it in. 

The reason the Jets have so much cap space is because he hasnt drafted or signed many NFL calibur players worth paying anything to. 

Having so few players under contract might actually end up being a good thing. More roster spots for UDFA, which is something that Mac seems to be most adequate at finding. With Bowles gone, the young training camp players that shine all summer might actually get a chance to play and make the roster. 

Idk. That's probably complete bullsh!t, but whatever ??‍♂️

Archived