Are the Jets an expansion team?

WayneChrebet80

Barring an unbelievable haul during the FA period, this team is set up for a long season in 2019. As @slats pointed out, we are not in a good spot cap wise, despite what many here think.

The next time I hear "the pig is ripe" I think I'm going to scream. Forget the SB champions. We're being left in the dust by so many other AFC teams it's a joke.  Yeah we might have a QB finally, but so do other teams like the Chiefs and Browns. The difference is they are much, much better overall teams then us. 

We're down with the dregs of the AFC East, the Dolphins and the Bills. Other teams like the Colts and Ravens are better then us also. The Raiders have 3 1st round picks this year and 2 more next year, LOL. Who do you think will have a better roster then? 

Long story short? We're nowhere near the traditionally elite AFC teams, and are being passed by a bunch of up and coming ones. But yeah, we cleared another 5 mill in cap space the last 24 hours! Good times!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Long story short? We're nowhere near the traditionally elite AFC teams, and are being passed by a bunch of up and coming ones. But yeah, we cleared another 5 mill in cap space the last 24 hours! Good times!!!

fans think the team can go from worst to first in a year

but they are so far away from that it's ridiculous to even say it out loud 

there is a sequence a team goes from bad to decent to good to a contender to a champ.

The Jets are bad and decent looks like wishful thinking. They aren't anywhere near contender status.  the only hope on the team is the QB, which is great, but they are wasting his rookie contract with this endless rebuild.  by the time the team approaches good or contender, Darnold is going to need 100 million  dollars and they won't have room for any other moves. 

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fans think the team can go from worst to first in a year

but they are so far away from that it's ridiculous to even say it out loud 

there is a sequence a team goes from bad to decent to good to a contender to a champ.

The Jets are bad and decent looks like wishful thinking. They aren't anywhere near contender status.  the only hope on the team is the QB, which is great, but they are wasting his rookie contract with this endless rebuild.  by the time the team approaches good or contender, Darnold is going to need 100 million  dollars and they won't have room for any other moves. 

Exactly. So many here live in a "Jets bubble". In this "bubble" we are the only team with cap space, we're going to pick and choose who we want in FA, and teams are going to be lining up to give us extra picks to move up to #3 in the draft. In reality we'll need a great offseason just to become a 7-8 win team.

They think with the new QB, all our problems are solved. Guess what? At least a third of the league will have QBs in the first three years of their career, and all of them feel as good about theirs as the Jets do about Darnold.

One of the biggest urban legends this season was the one about Gase leaving the Dolphins because he didn't want to be around for a rebuild, LOL. Yeah, ok. So he comes here, because we're this budding powerhouse? Ha! We're a real sleeping giant, that's for sure... He came here for one reason. He had no other choice. But lets convince ourselves he chose us, because we have Darnold, and Gase couldn't resist the chance to work with him!

But lets stay in our "bubble" again this year. Lets look at the Buffalo and Miami games as easy wins, the Patriots are ready to be taken, and we want to be the ones to take them out. Best part is we get to sit back and laugh at the Browns being the Browns, Gruden being Gruden, etc. because Tony Romo "loves" Darnold.

Which leads to my final point. I don't live in NY, which is a 2 team market. I get just about every game Romo does, because they're usually national telecasts.  Romo loves everybody  LOL. But in the Jets bubble, Darnold's's far and away the best of the young QBs. Mahomes would struggle w/o the talent around him, Goff sucks, Wentz injury prone, Mayfield will implode, Watkins meh, Allen, Jackson, and Rosen? Oh thank goodness we didn't take them! 

14 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The Jets have cap space, but not because of quality roster management. The Jets simply dont have many players under contract. Not only have they done a terrible job in the draft and free agency, but also scouting/developing the bottom of the roster. 

The Jets are really in a dangerous situation where they can take on some terrible contracts just to fill the roster. 

Expansion teams have extra draft picks.

4 hours ago, slats said:

According to Over The Cap, the Jets have 39 players currently under contract (the bottom eight or so are all "futures" guys who are unlikely to make the final roster) and about $102M in cap space. IMHO, the Jets need to add at least 20 NFL caliber players just to fill out the roster. This is why the Jets' cap space is completely overblown, it's because the roster is completely depleted. 

By comparison, the Colts have 59 players under contract and $108M in cap space. The Bills have 53 players under contract and $79M in cap space. The Browns 60 players and $79M. The Texans have 52 players and $78M. 

The Jets really don't have an advantage over of any of those teams, having so many holes on what was a four-win team. 

Over the cap is not including the 11 RFA/ERFA who were on the 53 last year. That's why the roster number is not being correctly totaled. I don't count the 9 guys they signed to future deals. So minus them but add in the 11 other guys. That makes 41 players on the roster. Now conservatively add in 5 2019 draft picks to the roster, it could be more, now the roster # is 46. That means there are 7 roster spots open on the 53 including Kicker. Take about $24 million away between the RFA/ERFA and the draft picks. 7 roster spots open with almost $80 million in cap space left. That is plenty. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

the problem is the Jets only have 7 picks 

there's alot of names on that list who don't belong on any roster. Robby Anderson is the only one who has value.

Every team in the NFL has a list like that. How do you think teams are able to stay under the cap? The cap allocates less than $4 million per player on the roster. Yet if everyone on your roster made only that amount you would never win a game. 

Take the Patriots for example. They have 26 players that make under $1 million per year on their 53. Of that number I've only heard of maybe 5-6 of those guys. You need those JAGS at that price in order to field a competent starting lineup on both sides of the ball.

6 hours ago, slats said:

According to Over The Cap, the Jets have 39 players currently under contract (the bottom eight or so are all "futures" guys who are unlikely to make the final roster) and about $102M in cap space. IMHO, the Jets need to add at least 20 NFL caliber players just to fill out the roster. This is why the Jets' cap space is completely overblown, it's because the roster is completely depleted. 

By comparison, the Colts have 59 players under contract and $108M in cap space. The Bills have 53 players under contract and $79M in cap space. The Browns 60 players and $79M. The Texans have 52 players and $78M. 

The Jets really don't have an advantage over of any of those teams, having so many holes on what was a four-win team. 

There are more FAs out there that will fill a hole on our team because we have so many different holes. So we won't have to focus on a couple particular players because so many would be improvements. Advantage: Jets.

Didn't think of that, did you smart guy?

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Over the cap is not including the 11 RFA/ERFA who were on the 53 last year. That's why the roster number is not being correctly totaled. I don't count the 9 guys they signed to future deals. So minus them but add in the 11 other guys. That makes 41 players on the roster. Now conservatively add in 5 2019 draft picks to the roster, it could be more, now the roster # is 46. That means there are 7 roster spots open on the 53 including Kicker. Take about $24 million away between the RFA/ERFA and the draft picks. 7 roster spots open with almost $80 million in cap space left. That is plenty. 

What are you even talking about?  You are dealing with the 90 man roster and it is barely filled with football players.  ERFA are generally sh*t.  I know that the board has some kind of collective boner for Davis Webb and Deontay Burnett, but you want to hand these guys roster spots?  Here is a list of our ERFA - Wint, Luvu, Burnett, Braden, Clark, Webb, Middleton, Deangelo Henderson and Kaufusi.  The RFA are Anderson, Tomlinson, Walford, and Destiny Vaeao.   Those are not guys that I would count towards the 53.  Other than Anderson, those are guys that didn't make the 53 on a 4-12 roster in 2018.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

What are you even talking about?  You are dealing with the 90 man roster and it is barely filled with football players.  ERFA are generally sh*t.  I know that the board has some kind of collective boner for Davis Webb and Deontay Burnett, but you want to hand these guys roster spots?  Here is a list of our ERFA - Wint, Luvu, Burnett, Braden, Clark, Webb, Middleton, Deangelo Henderson and Kaufusi.  The RFA are Anderson, Tomlinson, Walford, and Destiny Vaeao.   Those are not guys that I would count towards the 53.  Other than Anderson, those are guys that didn't make the 53 on a 4-12 roster in 2018.  

The 37 additional guys beyond the 53 who make up the 90 man roster DO NOT count against the cap. They are always UDFA, future signings and veterans with non guaranteed contracts who are invited to camp. Those are not guys that you sign in FA or before the draft. The 90 man roster gets filled out in June and July. I can't believe I have to explain this to multiple people. 

As far as the guys you mentioned above the NFL is littered with those types of guys at the bottom of the roster. The majority of them were on the 53 at some point last year. They had a 4-12 record bc their starters were garbage not necessarily bc of their depth. Actually the fact that they had the best special teams unit in the NFL speaks more favorably about the bottom of the roster than you're giving them credit for.

Go look at the Pats roster and tell me how many guys beyond the top 25 players in cap # contribute at all on offense or defense. Very very few. In fact 26 of the guys on their roster make less than $1 million. That's how rosters have to be built in order to field a competitive starting lineup on both sides of the ball.

9 hours ago, choon328 said:

There are 11 players who are either a RFA or ERFA that I believe will be on the roster. Here they are:

RFA

TE Walford

TE Tomlinson

WR Anderson

ERFA

DE/DT B. Kafusi

QB D. Webb

FS D. Middleton

CB J. Clark

OLB/DE F. Luvu

WR D. Burnett

T B. Braden

LB A. Wint

That puts the roster at 43. This roster thing is way overblown.

Sorry that I didn't see this.  You actually listed these names and think they will be on the 53?  They weren't on the 53 last year and we ******* sucked last year.  These guys were almost all practice squad stiffs.  Braden could not beat out studs like Qvale and Dozier.  Webb has yet to take an NFL snap.  Jeremy Clark has never played a down on defense.  He has a grand total of 12 snaps, all on special teams in the two game 16s.  He has been beaten out by studs like Juston Burris.  Tomlinson is pretty bad and he beat out Walford.  They signed Walford back because Tomlinson was injured.  These are not roster players.  You are confusing bodies and roster spots. 

You are literally the opposite of my grandma.  The cupboard is bare and you are telling us, we have saltines.  Just because the other teams have bottom of the roster guys, doesn't make our roster like theirs.  The Browns have 60 players signed.  Sure they are not all studs, but the Jets probably don't have 20 guys who are likely to spend 16 weeks on an NFL 53 in 2019.

9 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Jets can easily sign 8-10 depth players for about $20 million. That puts them at about 50 players. Add the draft picks and 4-5 premium players they'll have over 55 players on their roster. 

People are acting as if every player is going to make at least $5 million in 2019. Henry Anderson made under $1 million last year. The majority of the depth guys will make under $2 million next year. That's why, even with not a ton of players on the roster, every nfl pundit is saying the Jets have so much money.  Some are over estimating the cost of building the middle of the roster in FA. 

Henry Anderson made $1.9M in 2018.  That was on his rookie contract.  Think he is going to sign back for $645k?

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry that I didn't see this.  You actually listed these names and think they will be on the 53?  They weren't on the 53 last year and we ******* sucked last year.  These guys were almost all practice squad stiffs.  Braden could not beat out studs like Qvale and Dozier.  Webb has yet to take an NFL snap.  Jeremy Clark has never played a down on defense.  He has a grand total of 12 snaps, all on special teams in the two game 16s.  He has been beaten out by studs like Juston Burris.  Tomlinson is pretty bad and he beat out Walford.  They signed Walford back because Tomlinson was injured.  These are not roster players.  You are confusing bodies and roster spots. 

You are literally the opposite of my grandma.  The cupboard is bare and you are telling us, we have saltines.  Just because the other teams have bottom of the roster guys, doesn't make our roster like theirs.  The Browns have 60 players signed.  Sure they are not all studs, but the Jets probably don't have 20 guys who are likely to spend 16 weeks on an NFL 53 in 2019.

Henry Anderson made $1.9M in 2018.  That was on his rookie contract.  Think he is going to sign back for $645k?

7 of those guys saw game action last year. And I honestly don't want to argue with someone who is worried about the 90 man roster in February. That tells me all I need to know about your knowledge and your intentions here. Have a good day.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The 37 additional guys beyond the 53 who make up the 90 man roster DO NOT count against the cap. They are always UDFA, future signings and veterans with non guaranteed contracts who are invited to camp. Those are not guys that you sign in FA or before the draft. The 90 man roster gets filled out in June and July. I can't believe I have to explain this to multiple people. 

As far as the guys you mentioned above the NFL is littered with those types of guys at the bottom of the roster. The majority of them were on the 53 at some point last year. They had a 4-12 record bc their starters were garbage not necessarily bc of their depth. Actually the fact that they had the best special teams unit in the NFL speaks more favorably about the bottom of the roster than you're giving them credit for.

Go look at the Pats roster and tell me how many guys beyond the top 25 players in cap # contribute at all on offense or defense. Very very few. In fact 26 of the guys on their roster make less than $1 million. That's how rosters have to be built in order to field a competitive starting lineup on both sides of the ball.

On the 53 at some point is not an NFL player.  Trust me.  I like and know the bottom of the roster as well as anybody.  There is a monumental difference between guys that spend a season on the 53 and guys that spend a few weeks there.  How many guys do the Jets have locked up that every team in the NFL did not have a chance to roster last year?  I count 24 and that includes the punter and long snapper. The rest were practice squad guys and street free agents.  A few may be useful, but you should have a legit roster for those guys to beat out.  We do not. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

7 of those guys saw game action last year. And I honestly don't want to argue with someone who is worried about the 90 man roster in February. That tells me all I need to know about your knowledge and your intentions here. Have a good day.

"Game action?"  Are you ******* serious?  First of all, game action on a 4-12 team is not a badge of honor.  My knowledge?  You are including Clive Walford and Eric Tomlinson.  Walford was cut before the season. They re-signed him for the last week ONLY BECAUSE Tomlinson was hurt and he played a grand total of 2 snaps.  GAME ACTION!  Braden played 8 snaps.  All on specials, all the last 2 weeks of the season.  Clark?  Already talked about him.  Drop some knowledge on me.  Which of these guys contributed in 2018?  Burnett and Luvu played some meaningful snaps. Middleton too, I guess.  Who else?  You think I have some bad "intentions?"   Then explain which of these guys is a meaningful player, and how you expect them to contribute going forward.  

The existence of these guys on the roster is not a big deal, but as I said, these are 90 man roster guys.  They guys above them include guys like Rashard Robinson, Tarrell Basham, a guy the Colts dumped because he didn't fit the 4-3.  It also includes Crowell, a guy I consider an NFL player, but who they have basically announced they plan to cut.

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Okay.  I get what you meant now.  I am not "worried about the 90 man roster in February."  I am worried about the quality of the guys under contract and control in February.  I am saying that the guys that you are counting as roster players are the kind of guys that you use to fill out the 90.  Particularly for a team switching defenses, I would have expected them to sign extra guys that might better fit what Williams wants to do.  

7 hours ago, slats said:

It’s almost two months later and I still can’t reconcile the fact that the Jets kept Mike Maccagnan as a GM. It’s completely taken any sense of optimism or excitement away from this coming season when we should all be juiced about a young QB with an offensive-minded HC and Greg Williams’s Maccagnan’s presence neuters all of that. I’ll never understand the thought process behind it because it made no sense from 100 different perspectives. 

56 minutes ago, choon328 said:

7 of those guys saw game action last year. And I honestly don't want to argue with someone who is worried about the 90 man roster in February.

Pretty much why I haven't been paying that much attention to the board until March 13th. 

So many people wanting to waive the white flag in February is pathetic.  They act like Macc doesn't know he's on the clock.  He's got 2 years max to make it happen or he's gone. 

The team will look completely different (for the better) 2 months from now yet all anyone wants to do is get in the fetal position and whimper.

19 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The Jets have cap space, but not because of quality roster management. The Jets simply dont have many players under contract. Not only have they done a terrible job in the draft and free agency, but also scouting/developing the bottom of the roster. 

The Jets are really in a dangerous situation where they can take on some terrible contracts just to fill the roster. 

Yeah, they'll have to sign players just for the he'll of it.  Players they don't even want. 

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Pretty much why I haven't been paying that much attention to the board until March 13th. 

So many people wanting to waive the white flag in February is pathetic.  They act like Macc doesn't know he's on the clock.  He's got 2 years max to make it happen or he's gone. 

The team will look completely different (for the better) 2 months from now yet all anyone wants to do is get in the fetal position and whimper.

Yay Pac!  Only 2 more years! 

The point isn't that the roster won't look better 2 months from now.  The point is that it is almost impossible for it not to.  This is GM's 5th offseason and the only thing that we have to celebrate is a complete lack of roster.  Basically, right now we are sitting where we were at this point in 2015. 

Darnold gives us hope, but that is almost literally it. Compared to this point in 2015 we are stronger at QB, DB and TE.  That's pretty much it.

22 hours ago, varjet said:

We gave up a draft pick for him.  He is on a rookie contract.  

I like the idea of signing players off of the patriots practice squad, but we can’t do they until September.  The time to do that was December.  We should have cut all the dead wood then and stacked the roster.  But Bowles wanted to win. 

The Johnsons need to walk into Macs office and tell him they they want the Jetsto be the best drafting team in the league, with the best scouting.   They will increase the budget to do that.  The Jets have drafted terribly unless there was a coach being paid already who could make a difference.  The machine does not work. 

Henry Anderson made just under 2 million dollars last season, the final year of his rookie contract.  I like him too, but now it's time to get paid.  The Patriocheats practice squad is not some "magical wonderland" of future Hall of Famers. Since 2013 they have signed 66 players to future contracts.  Of those players, 18 have played in a regular season game for them.  It seems like the old adage," let's throw some sh*t against the wall, something is bound to stick", sooner or later.  As for the mandate from the Johnsons to Macc, the scouting and drafting have been admittedly poor. Where is the proof that the reason for that is that the team has failed to commit resources to those areas.  Are we to assume that the scouting has been done from  the jalopy used on the road trip from "Animal House"?   More than likely the scouting and drafting personnel are as bad as the talent they procure.  You're right the machine does not work.  It needs fixing.  How is another question, that remains to be answered.

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There are more FAs out there that will fill a hole on our team because we have so many different holes. So we won't have to focus on a couple particular players because so many would be improvements. Advantage: Jets.

Didn't think of that, did you smart guy?

Yeah FAs that Mac gets to choose among :( 

19 hours ago, choon328 said:

The other teams I mentioned have their own RFA/ERFAs not listed, too. The Jets have let a few inexpensive players walk that I didn't expect, same thing could happen with those free agents. We don't know. They are behind the teams I mentioned in plain numbers by 15-20 players at the starting line. But the thing is, of course, that the Jets have been a bad football team for a number of years now, going 14-34 over the last three years. So the Jets not only have fewer players, they have fewer good ones. There's talk Crowell will be cut. The team needs a couple or a few new starters on the OL, do they continue to pay Winters $6M/year after that? Or is that a new hole? 

They're losing two starting OL and a starting WR to free agency. They need to be replaced with better (read: probably more expensive) players. They need a starting caliber RB or two depending on what they do with Crowell and Powell. On defense, which no one wants to talk about, 2/3s of their starting DL and Morris Claiborne are free agents. Jason Myers and Andre Roberts are free agents. Is anyone in the pipe to replace these guys? Not really. 

That's eight starters they need to replace. That's before they start to make improvements to their other weak starters. And then they have to fill out depth because they're still not up to 53 players when teams bring 90 to training camp. 

That $102M isn't as much -and won't do as much- as people seem to believe. 

23 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

One of the biggest urban legends this season was the one about Gase leaving the Dolphins because he didn't want to be around for a rebuild, 

being overly optimistic about the state of the roster vis a vis cap space is at least understandable. You are totally right about the bubble, and fans looking at it only from their perspective. 

But the delusion on Adam Gase is off the charts. The only impressive thing Gase ever did was beat the Jets. What kind of bar is that? 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s almost two months later and I still can’t reconcile the fact that the Jets kept Mike Maccagnan as a GM. It’s completely taken any sense of optimism or excitement away from this coming season when we should all be juiced about a young QB with an offensive-minded HC and Greg Williams’s Maccagnan’s presence neuters all of that. I’ll never understand the thought process behind it because it made no sense from 100 different perspectives. 

it made sense from the not having to buy out Mac and pay a replacement GM perspective 

also it makes sense to rig the coaching search toward cheaper, more desperate candidates. Guys with options like McCarthy and Rhule don't want that over their head. The arranged marriage quote with Rhule people assumed was about Gregg Williams, it could just as easily been about Mac.

The Jets are 2nd in attendance, 6th in total value and 30th in power rankings. It doesn't make financial sense to try to win. see everything through the lens of the Johnson's keeping the lights on in the cheapest possible way and suddenly these moves make sense 

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Same here. We finally get a guy who has a chance to be The Guy, and we can’t get excited because the GM is so bad we’re going into the offseason needing to fill literally half the roster, including every non-QB position that matters. 

Archived