Are the Jets an expansion team?

WayneChrebet80

The Jets have cap space, but not because of quality roster management. The Jets simply dont have many players under contract. Not only have they done a terrible job in the draft and free agency, but also scouting/developing the bottom of the roster. 

The Jets are really in a dangerous situation where they can take on some terrible contracts just to fill the roster. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Why doesnt the title and what you wrote in the OP have anything to do with each other. Asking for me.

If you look at their roster please who on the team right now is guaranteed to be here after 2019 You probably cant name more than five or six guys. That is unheard of. 

4 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

If you look at their roster please who on the team right now is guaranteed to be here after 2019 You probably cant name more than five or six guys. That is unheard of. 

What's unheard of is this derp zone that a lot of fans are stuck in.

It's February nineteenth. 

Save the drama for July.

3 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Oh. You mean our roster count is so dangerously low that it resembles that of a newly formed team?

hmm..it’ll be okay. We’ll get our important FA’s some mid-tier FA’s get 7 players from the draft and then continue to fill out the rest of the way with mid-FA’s. 

The ones who stick get to be apart of 2020 and then we replace the ones that don’t stick with more players until we have a team full of players who serve an actual purpose on the team.

24 minutes ago, nico002 said:

What player have the jets lost that isn’t replaceable with a jag fa or late draft pick?

It starts to get tough when you need about 25 or more of them. You do realize some of the same guys we're cutting will probably cost about the same or more too replace?

I think the OP has a point.  Let’s keep in mind what the Jags we released cost, and what we pay to get new jags who may not be as good as the jags we let go. 

The only way to get cheap jags is to draft them like the Patriots, who then develop them into super jags.  We only have 7 draft picks.  Maybe that is the plan....

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the OP has a point.  Let’s keep in mind what the Jags we released cost, and what we pay to get new jags who may not be as good as the jags we let go. 

The only way to get cheap jags is to draft them like the Patriots, who then develop them into super jags.  We only have 7 draft picks.  Maybe that is the plan....

The PROBLEM is we have drafted so poorly throughout this entire organizations history. 

Mike Maccagnan has been bad at drafting in his tenure here he has had a top 6 pick in 3 of the 4 years. 

Our roster he built is JAG's through and through. 

I say it all the time if not for the NY Jets many of these players would not be in the NFL. 

29 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The Jets are really in a dangerous situation where they can take on some terrible contracts just to fill the roster. 

Agree with this part.  

The next two months should be about avoiding disaster.  They’ve already taken a risk pairing Gase with Williams, then there was that whole issue with Williams’ son and then the hiring of Vitt. 

I could be wrong about any of that being an issue but, from the outside, it looks like a powder keg.  

And then my next biggest concern is how we approach free agency.  Signing a bunch of high priced vets in a weak free agency year could be a disaster.  

I hope we’re smart enough to realize that only one of those top pass rushers (if they become available), Paradis or Bell is worth big money.  

I hope we’re smart enough (and fortunate enough) to trade down in the draft too. 

55 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agree with this part.  

The next two months should be about avoiding disaster.  They’ve already taken a risk pairing Gase with Williams, then there was that whole issue with Williams’ son and then the hiring of Vitt. 

I could be wrong about any of that being an issue but, from the outside, it looks like a powder keg.  

And then my next biggest concern is how we approach free agency.  Signing a bunch of high priced vets in a weak free agency year could be a disaster.  

I hope we’re smart enough to realize that only one of those top pass rushers (if they become available), Paradis or Bell is worth big money.  

I hope we’re smart enough (and fortunate enough) to trade down in the draft too. 

I said the same thing two weeks ago about the potential for disaster on the Defensive Coaching staff. I find it hard to believe there isn't any residual tension between the Williams and Vitt. Add Greg's son to the mix and Gase being married to Vitt's daughter... well its hard to make this kind of stuff up.

I've was ecstatic over the Williams hire when it happened, but the way this staff has filled out, I'll be shocked if there isn't an implosion. I thought Williams would have autonomy with the hiring of assistants, but you'll never convince me Vitt's hiring wasn't Gase pulling a power play. I know Vitt is a very good coach and he worked with Gase in Miami, but c'mon... 

47 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I said the same thing two weeks ago about the potential for disaster on the Defensive Coaching staff. I find it hard to believe there isn't any residual tension between the Williams and Vitt. Add Greg's son to the mix and Gase being married to Vitt's daughter... well its hard to make this kind of stuff up.

I've was ecstatic over the Williams hire when it happened, but the way this staff has filled out, I'll be shocked if there isn't an implosion. I thought Williams would have autonomy with the hiring of assistants, but you'll never convince me Vitt's hiring wasn't Gase pulling a power play. I know Vitt is a very good coach and he worked with Gase in Miami, but c'mon... 

Would have been a great story line for HBO.  They be some hard knockin'.

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The Jets have cap space, but not because of quality roster management. The Jets simply dont have many players under contract. Not only have they done a terrible job in the draft and free agency, but also scouting/developing the bottom of the roster. 

It's a great opportunity. Turn around can be quick with the right choices.

I'm reluctant to treat this thread seriously but...  No expansion team enters the draft with young, talented players like Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, and of course Sam (a franchise QB) already on the team.  And if today's player releases are triggering some kind of alarmist hysteria, let's consider the question of why we'd pay $2-3 million dollars each for role players when there are guys the likes of Brandon Copeland and Neville Hewitt who can make limited yet valuable contributions and are available for half that cost every off-season.

Face it - the Jets sukked last season. The Jets could pull 6 players off the Patriots practice squad and pay them the league minimum and the team would be improved. ALSO Mac is better at recruiting half decent undrafted free agents than he is at drafting in rounds 2-4 so might as well unload what we don't want and get some players in that we do want. One more thing - we were the 3rd worst team in the league - basically bottom of the barrel and the players we cut are bottom of the barrel players on a bottom of the barrel team - if we want some back we might get them at half the price we let them go at. Just saying!

The Jets can easily sign 8-10 depth players for about $20 million. That puts them at about 50 players. Add the draft picks and 4-5 premium players they'll have over 55 players on their roster. 

People are acting as if every player is going to make at least $5 million in 2019. Henry Anderson made under $1 million last year. The majority of the depth guys will make under $2 million next year. That's why, even with not a ton of players on the roster, every nfl pundit is saying the Jets have so much money.  Some are over estimating the cost of building the middle of the roster in FA. 

Why complain? This is actually a better scenario with a new group of coaches coming in. This is a 2 year conversion with Sam at the helm & we all hope we can vie for playoff spot this year (protect Sam & hopefully we find lightning in a bottle and get BETTER as the year progresses). Which is the opposite of Todd Bowles tenure here. There is not 1 Jet player left who we can't get rid of because of a ridiculous contract where said player is overpaid & unproductive.

Gase/Williams can put together the group they want. This is actually a very rare situation. Maye will be back, Tru will be reunited with Williams. Herndon will be much better as a sophomore. Fixing the Oline & adding a few offensive weapons will change the entire offense with Sam in his 2nd year. 

We need to transition this team to compete & finally overtake the aging Brady & the Pats. We have our QB, something expansion teams don't have. Replacing Buster Skrine with Bryce Callahan would be a upgrade. Paradis or Morse for Long? Huge upgrade. Bell at RB? Huge upgrade. We have to fix the left side of the Oline but Beachum is still capable. We can draft a LG at the top of the 3rd, or maybe sign Saffold. These new coaches can build the team into their vision.

56 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

There are 11 players who are either a RFA or ERFA that I believe will be on the roster. Here they are:

RFA

TE Walford

TE Tomlinson

WR Anderson

ERFA

DE/DT B. Kafusi

QB D. Webb

FS D. Middleton

CB J. Clark

OLB/DE F. Luvu

WR D. Burnett

T B. Braden

LB A. Wint

That puts the roster at 43. This roster thing is way overblown.

21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets can easily sign 8-10 depth players for about $20 million. That puts them at about 50 players. Add the draft picks and 4-5 premium players they'll have over 55 players on their roster. 

People are acting as if every player is going to make at least $5 million in 2019. Henry Anderson made under $1 million last year. The majority of the depth guys will make under $2 million next year. That's why, even with not a ton of players on the roster, every nfl pundit is saying the Jets have so much money.  Some are over estimating the cost of building the middle of the roster in FA. 

Hey, Chad Forbes says we're in trouble.

Now is the perfect time to panic. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Henry Anderson made under $1 million last year.

We gave up a draft pick for him.  He is on a rookie contract.  

I like the idea of signing players off of the patriots practice squad, but we can’t do they until September.  The time to do that was December.  We should have cut all the dead wood then and stacked the roster.  But Bowles wanted to win. 

The Johnsons need to walk into Macs office and tell him they they want the Jetsto be the best drafting team in the league, with the best scouting.   They will increase the budget to do that.  The Jets have drafted terribly unless there was a coach being paid already who could make a difference.  The machine does not work. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

According to Over The Cap, the Jets have 39 players currently under contract (the bottom eight or so are all "futures" guys who are unlikely to make the final roster) and about $102M in cap space. IMHO, the Jets need to add at least 20 NFL caliber players just to fill out the roster. This is why the Jets' cap space is completely overblown, it's because the roster is completely depleted. 

By comparison, the Colts have 59 players under contract and $108M in cap space. The Bills have 53 players under contract and $79M in cap space. The Browns 60 players and $79M. The Texans have 52 players and $78M. 

The Jets really don't have an advantage over of any of those teams, having so many holes on what was a four-win team. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

According to Over The Cap, the Jets have 39 players currently under contract (the bottom eight or so are all "futures" guys who are unlikely to make the final roster) and about $102M in cap space. IMHO, the Jets need to add at least 20 NFL caliber players just to fill out the roster. This is why the Jets' cap space is completely overblown, it's because the roster is completely depleted. 

By comparison, the Colts have 59 players under contract and $108M in cap space. The Bills have 53 players under contract and $79M in cap space. The Browns 60 players and $79M. The Texans have 52 players and $78M. 

The Jets really don't have an advantage over of any of those teams, having so many holes on what was a four-win team. 

Bulls eye. 

11 hours ago, nico002 said:

What player have the jets lost that isn’t replaceable with a jag fa or late draft pick?

the problem is the Jets only have 7 picks 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

There are 11 players who are either a RFA or ERFA that I believe will be on the roster. Here they are:

RFA

TE Walford

TE Tomlinson

WR Anderson

ERFA

DE/DT B. Kafusi

QB D. Webb

FS D. Middleton

CB J. Clark

OLB/DE F. Luvu

WR D. Burnett

T B. Braden

LB A. Wint

That puts the roster at 43. This roster thing is way overblown.

there's alot of names on that list who don't belong on any roster. Robby Anderson is the only one who has value.

Archived