Adam Gase: Jets Have Tools,Players,Game Plan to Dethrone Patriots in AFC East

joewilly12

Adam Gase: Jets Have Tools, Players, Game Plan to Dethrone Patriots in AFC East

JOSEPH ZUCKERAPRIL 17, 2019

New York Jets head coach Adam Gase speaks during a news conference in Florham Park, N.J., Monday, Jan. 14, 2019. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Seth Wenig/Associated Press

Adam Gase is setting his sights high as he approaches his first year as the New York Jets' head coach.

Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley relayed comments from Gase regarding where he believes the franchise is headed, per the New York Daily News' Manish Mehta:

"He's going for that one team that's been winning every single year in the division. He said that's one of the main reasons he came here. We all believe that. And the guys that are the new additions to the team ... we're pretty much here for the same reason. We know what team's been up top for a long time. We feel we have the tools, the players and the game plan to get that done."

Of course, Jets fans will remember Rex Ryan telling reporters he didn't sign up to coach the team "to kiss Bill Belichick's, you know, rings." New York then went 4-9 against the New England Patriots during Ryan's tenure.

Gase didn't pick such evocative imagery, but the sentiment is largely the same.

His optimism may not be misplaced, though, especially when taking a long view.

The Jets signed Mosley, Le'Veon Bell and Jamison Crowder in free agency, and they solidified their offensive line by acquiring Kelechi Osemele, who was a Pro Bowler in 2016 and 2017. Those four join a squad that is already set to take a step forward with second-year quarterback Sam Darnold.

The team also has the No. 3 overall pick in the 2019 draft, which it can use to get the defensive line help it sorely needs.

According to Vegas Insider, New York is the second-favorite to win the AFC East (15-2) behind the Patriots (1-6).

Anything other than an 11th successive division title for New England would be a huge surprise, but Rob Gronkowski's retirement earlier this offseason could be the first sign the Patriots' dynasty could be slowly ending.

Tom Brady turns 42 in August and is entering the final year of his contract. While Brady said in December he plans on playing beyond the 2019 season, his opinion might have changed slightly without one of his favorite aerial targets on the team.

Supplanting the Patriots as the top team in the AFC East is slightly unrealistic for 2019. Closing the gap on New England, however, is a more than attainable goal for the Jets.

•  
  •  
  •  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This sh*t is old.

Win games, then talk.

Yes because lord knows your favorite team is a bunch of soft spoken humble dudes with a rich history in winning who have no delusions of grandeur.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The team also has the No. 3 overall pick in the 2019 draft, which it can use to get the defensive line help it sorely needs.

This line makes no sense at all. Edge, maybe but OL is a much bigger need.

They traded for a potential top 5 guard which you would hope helps the OL.

What did they do to address the lack of pass rush? 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We heard Rex say it. Rex ended up being alot of talk.

Rex also knocked out the #1 seed Patriots on their home field and had several other wins over the Pats.  He had his faults and his hot air but the Jets were never more of a threat to the Patriots than when Rex Ryan was game-planning against them.

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Rex also knocked out the #1 seed Patriots on their home field and had several other wins over the Pats.  He had his faults and his hot air but the Jets were never more of a threat to the Patriots than when Rex Ryan was game-planning against them.

And that same coach and QB just won their 6th SB during their 9th appearance and have won 10 or 11 straight division titles since Rex became coach/fired.

Let's not overrate.

22 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This sh*t is old.

Win games, then talk.

And remember, when asked ignore or lie and tell all that he believes we have no chance.

In April.

Rex did beat them, at their peak, in NE.  So who gives a damn about shutting up.  Changes absolutely nothing

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This isn't Rex boasting to the media. It's basically just Mosley talking about how Gase's plan for the future... Total non story.

It isnt the exact same, but its still our coach talking in April.

I'd rather see wins. All im saying. I've heard enough of the talking or indirects from players. 

Winning is the loudest way to speak. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And that same coach and QB just won their 6th SB during their 9th appearance and have won 10 or 11 straight division titles since Rex became coach/fired.

Let's not overrate.

hmmm...sounds like you're saying we should have kept Rex.  I mean, isn't he undefeated in the playoffs as a HC vs. the Patriots?

:P

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It isnt the exact same, but its still our coach talking in April.

I'd rather see wins. All im saying. I've heard enough of the talking or indirects from players. 

Winning is the loudest way to speak. 

No it's not. It's our new LB talking about buying into our coaches plan for the future.

Seriously, we're going to criticize our new coach for relaying his goals and expectations to his players? 

Obviously we all want results but I cannot fathom criticizing Gase for this.

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We should all be proud.

Trying to figure out why a Browns fan even cares.  

Do you even have the faintest idea of how pointless your argument is.  You're going to tell real Jets fans how the HC needs to shut up if asked about the teams chances?  

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

hmmm...sounds like you're saying we should have kept Rex.  I mean, isn't he undefeated in the playoffs as a HC vs. the Patriots?

:P

The way folks are here boasting about that win, you would think that Rex was the mastermind behind the dismantling of the Patriot empire. Lol

And some other folks are really in here trying to give me grief because im saying that the coaches and players need to STFU about the Patriots and win games.

I thought that was the point of all this. I could be wrong though. Seems like all you have to do is talk sh*t in April with no history of your own and then us Jets fans will let you borrow Rex's victory from 2010. 

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No it's not. It's our new LB talking about buying into our coaches plan for the future.

Seriously, we're going to criticize our new coach for relaying his goals and expectations to his players? 

Obviously we all want results but I cannot fathom criticizing Gase for this.

Win. I dont care about you talking about wantinf to detrone the Patriots. 

I've heard enough of that and yet have not see the Pats dethroned. 

Gase and Moseley should shut up and win games. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

The way folks are here boasting about that win, you would think that the Rex was the mastermind behind the dismantling of the Patriot empire. Lol

And some other folks are really in here trying to give me grief because im saying that the coaches and players need to STFU about the Patriots and win games.

I thought that was the point of all this. I could be wrong though. Seems like all you have to do is talk sh*t in April with no history of your own and then us Jets fans will let you borrow Rex's victory from 2010. 

Where has anyone said this?  Other than you. 

The point was made that they can't win until Brady's gone, proof that it's not a necessity gets this response.  

Maybe you get the midget QB to shut his rather large mouth instead of someone who spoke about the team, not smack. 

58 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

sh*t, even Mayfield said those words only after getting the win. Gase is feeling dangerous mid April. Guys like Belichick like to feel dangerous in December. 

It's better to just go out there and prove it. 

Not for nothing, but this is Mosley relating what Gase told him, personally, presumably while recruiting him to the Jets, not Gase mouthing off to reporters. Two remarkably different things. 

Also, I liked the way that crappy fish team beat the cheats on maybe the most exciting play of 2018. 

Archived