Source: Seahawks will not pick up Ifedi's option

JetsMetsDevilsPA

Source: Seahawks will not pick up Ifedi's option

8:45 PM ET
  • ESPN

The Seattle Seahawks will not pick up the fifth-year option of right tackle Germain Ifedi for the 2020 season, a source told ESPN's Brady Henderson.

Ifedi started 15 games last season and is still under contract for the upcoming season. He would be set to make $10.35 million in 2020 if Seattle picked up his option.

Friday is the deadline for teams to exercise their fifth-year options on rookie contracts for players selected in the first round of the 2016 draft.Ifedi was selected 31st in 2016 -- the final pick in the first round because the New England Patriots forfeited their pick following the "Deflategate" scandal.

Ifedi showed improvement in 2018, which was his second season at right tackle and his first season under new offensive line coach Mike Solari. But the $10.35 million salary for his fifth-year option was too steep of a price for the Seahawks to pay. Ifedi is set to make $1.58 million in base salary this season.

Ifedi, who turns 25 in June, started at right guard as a rookie before moving to right tackle in 2017. He led the league with 16 accepted penalties in 2017, according to ESPN charting data, and reduced that total to 10 last season. According to research by ESPN's Seth Walder, Ifedi had a Pass Block Win Rate of 82 percent in 2018, finishing just above the league average of 81 percent for offensive tackles.

George Fant and Jamarco Jones are in-house options who could replace Ifedi after this season, assuming he's not extended. Fant started at left tackle as an undrafted rookie in 2016, missed the following season with a torn ACL and then served as a frequently used extra tackle in heavy packages last year. The Seahawks gave him a second-round tender as a restricted free agent that will pay him $3.095 million this season. Jones, a 2018 fifth-round pick, missed his rookie season due to an ankle injury.

The Seahawks have now declined all three of the fifth-year options they've had since the option was implemented into rookie contracts for first-round picks with the new CBA in 2011. The other two were offensive lineman James Carpenter and outside linebacker Bruce Irvin, who were drafted in 2011 and 2012, respectively. Seattle didn't make a first-round pick in 2013, 2014 or 2015.

2 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The Seahawks have now declined all three of the fifth-year options they've had since the option was implemented into rookie contracts for first-round picks with the new CBA in 2011. 

Wait a minute...so the Seahawks suck at drafting too?

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wait a minute...so the Seahawks suck at drafting too?

A team that had no offensive line and was losing talent on Defense decided to draft a "meh" talent at RB in the first round and then relegated him to backup for most of the year. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Russell Wilson run's for his life on every pass play. If the Seahawks don't think he is worth picking up his option, why should we be interested?

Seattle O-line wasn't so bad last year. Big upgrade at LT (Brown) and their running game was actually pretty successful. I'm not sure how well this German fellow did. From what I hear he was very structured & disciplined, but did have a very cold & distant personality.

3 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Seattle O-line wasn't so bad last year. Big upgrade at LT (Brown) and their running game was actually pretty successful. I'm not sure how well this German fellow did. From what I hear he was very structured & disciplined, but did have a very cold & distant personality.

He'd fit right in at JN!

8 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

PFF graded him as the # 71 OT in the NFL last season.

11 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Russell Wilson run's for his life on every pass play. If the Seahawks don't think he is worth picking up his option, why should we be interested?

Maybe because RW takes up so much of the cap that they can't afford Ifedi. 

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe because RW takes up so much of the cap that they can't afford Ifedi. 

Maybe? Probably.

But if he was really good they'd sign him. The cap is at 188 million. You can afford to sign your best players even if you have to pay for a QB

22 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe? Probably.

But if he was really good they'd sign him. The cap is at 188 million. You can afford to sign your best players even if you have to pay for a QB

The Seahawks OL has made our OL look like the 90’s cowboys there’s a reason they are saying bye after next season

Well, there's no doubt the 2016 draft was garbage. However, the Jets would still be much better off if they had traded up and taken Tunsil, Conklin, etc. Darron Lee, if not for players like Ryan Leaf, Verne Gholston, etc., would be the one of the worst 1st round picks I've ever seen. He's an idiot, pure and simple. I've never seen anyone be so arrogant to the point of stupidity? He truly is as dumb as a post.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:32 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

PFF graded him as the # 71 OT in the NFL last season.

Lessee-there's 32 teams and two starting Offensive Tackles per team.  That means that Ifedi is worse than all the starters in the league, and even six non-starters are ahead of him.

So if we're in the market for a guy whose OK for a backup but not as a starter,  we should jump on this opportunity.

Archived