Underrated signing

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I was very excited when I saw that we had signed Ty Montgomery in free agency. I threw his time with the Ravens out of the window because the offense created there to get the most out of Lamar Jackson was ill suited to Tys assets as a RB/WR. I followed his career in Green Bay because he was my swing RB on my fantasy team when the Packers got decimated at RB. 

I could not believe how much McCarthy ran Ty between the tackles. Based on his upright running style he took some tremendous shots from LBs & eventually ended up with a couple of busted ribs. Ty is the ultimate tag team partner for Le'veon Bell. He was definitely a Gase target & im sure Adam loved the fact he could use the same sets while giving Bell some breathers. Defenses will get no breaks having to defend the flats when Ty comes in. I could also see some 2 RB sets, as both can run, catch & block in space (Bell better than Ty). 

These numbers from his time in Green Bay gives you an idea as to how these RBs will help Sam Darnold:

What no doubt attracted Adam Gase and his offensive staff was Montgomery's two-pronged production. In the past four seasons, he's averaged 6.10 yards/offensive touch, ninth-best among the 35 NFL players who've had at least 100 rushes and 100 receptions.

The only Jet to clear 6.0 yards/touch with 100 rushes and catches over a four-season span was RB Bruce Harper, who notched 7.3 yards/touch from 1981-84. RB Leon Washington was close at 5.6 from 2006-09.

Again. Very underrated signing!

I was completely unaware. Thanks for a good piece of info. 

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I was very excited when I saw that we had signed Ty Montgomery in free agency. I threw his time with the Ravens out of the window because the offense created there to get the most out of Lamar Jackson was ill suited to Tys assets as a RB/WR. I followed his career in Green Bay because he was my swing RB on my fantasy team when the Packers got decimated at RB. 

I could not believe how much McCarthy ran Ty between the tackles. Based on his upright running style he took some tremendous shots from LBs & eventually ended up with a couple of busted ribs. Ty is the ultimate tag team partner for Le'veon Bell. He was definitely a Gase target & im sure Adam loved the fact he could use the same sets while giving Bell some breathers. Defenses will get no breaks having to defend the flats when Ty comes in. I could also see some 2 RB sets, as both can run, catch & block in space (Bell better than Ty). 

These numbers from his time in Green Bay gives you an idea as to how these RBs will help Sam Darnold:

What no doubt attracted Adam Gase and his offensive staff was Montgomery's two-pronged production. In the past four seasons, he's averaged 6.10 yards/offensive touch, ninth-best among the 35 NFL players who've had at least 100 rushes and 100 receptions.

The only Jet to clear 6.0 yards/touch with 100 rushes and catches over a four-season span was RB Bruce Harper, who notched 7.3 yards/touch from 1981-84. RB Leon Washington was close at 5.6 from 2006-09.

Great post, he is a very productive player, who can be our Albert Wilson here.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Ty is the ultimate tag team partner for Le'veon Bell. He was definitely a Gase target & im sure Adam loved the fact he could use the same sets while giving Bell some breathers.

I agree, and said so at the time. Montgomery may not be a Bell-caliber player, but he's definitely the same type of player, and should Bell need a rest or miss any time, the Jets offense won't have to make many adjustments with Ty back there. 

• Upvote 3

I agree, and said so at the time. Montgomery may not be a Bell-caliber player, but he's definitely the same type of player, and should Bell need a rest or miss any time, the Jets offense won't have to make many adjustments with Ty back there. 

I like that mindset. It’s similar to the idea of having QB’s with similar skill sets as opposed to the old mentality of having 3 guys who are completely different. If/when the starter goes down it should still look like the same team. The same schemes and systems should be able to continue.

It’s nice to have little variety especially with a COP back but the reserve should be a clone of the starter if at all possible.

TY has a similar skill set as Bell. That bodes well for the offensive system.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Ty gives us the ultimate depth at every skill position on offense since he's played them all

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Beat me to it.  Exactly what I was going to post.

TyMont is a poor man's version of Bell.  Maybe even the pan-handler version.  Not to say that Mont is lousy... he is mediocre.  I just know that Bell is on another stratosphere.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:37 AM, Jetster said:

Well said. Couldn't agree more. Last night I too was reading that NYJets.com article on Montgomery. I always thought he was a very good weapon for the Packers, not least due to his versatility.

If he and Gase work out well - it'll turn out Montgomery was the better Green Bay import than Mike McCarthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Well said. Couldn't agree more. Last night I too was reading that NYJets.com article on Montgomery. I always thought he was a very good weapon for the Packers, not least due to his versatility.

If he and Gase work out well - it'll turn out Montgomery was the better Green Bay import than Mike McCarthy.

McCarthy asked Ty to do something that he's not built to do but a handful a times a game & that was run between the tackles. Montgomery has an upright running style & he took a freaking beating running inside when Green Bay lost all their backs to injuries. He's gonna catch balls like Richie Anderson here because Darnold is not as wreckless as Aaron Rogers. By wreckless, I mean Rogers always pushes the ball downfield. I have Redzone & would try & watch Packers having Ty in my PPR league. It was crazy, because Ty was pretty much open in the flat like 99% of the time but Rogers would push the ball downfield. 

This guy & Bell are going to be a godsend for Sam as outlets when no ones open downfield. He's gonna be working with a lot of 2nd, 3rd, 4th & short.