#88 Running back???

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Al Toon was better than Wayne Chrebet.  

I agree but AL toon never reached full potential with all the concussions... Cherbet was the goto for 10 years... Toon just didn't play long enough yes yes... 8 years versus 11 I get it... Toon just was just derailed in his later years from the concussions... 

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Huh?  I assume this is some kind of joke I am not getting? 

Wesley Walker was the Jets 2nd rounder in 1977.  Herschel Walker was out of Georgia by 1983, but he played in the USFL and didn't hit the NFL until 1986.  He never played with Al Toon .  Even in the Pro Bowl they'd have been on opposite sides. 

Wesley walker played 4 seasons with toon... Walker played till 89 toon was drafted in 85

52 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

80 was a hero 88 was a should have been

80, 11 Years, 152 Games, 580 catches, 7,365 Yards, 41 TD's, 6 Playoff Games, 19 for 269 and 2 in Playoffs.

88, 8 Years, 107 Games, 517 catches, 6,605 Yards, 31 TD's, 4 Playoff Games, 26 for 330 and 2 in Playoffs.

Toon was definitely a shorter career.   But Toon was also more productive-per-game than Chrebet, and there is no doubt that had Toon stayed healthy his career numbers would materially eclipse Chrebet's.  Both made often spectacular unbelievable catches.  It's also interesting to think who each played with, Chrebet played with better QB's, a great WR and RB.  Toon played with worse QB's, with a great WR, great TE and great RB's.  Chrebet played in a more receiver-friendly era.  

I prefer to think of both of them as amongst the best and most likeable player's we've had.  Along with Mangold, the three make up my trifecta of all-time favorite NY Jets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

I thought the NFL had rules about positions and numbers that can be used. Like Untouchable said he plays both positions, but more RB than WR i think.......

So my understanding is that if he ends up on the roster as a RB (regardless of how he sees himself) he will have to change his number. This is likely to happen. I don't see him making this team as a WR but I can see him making it as a RB. NOT THAT IT REALLY MATTERS! 

20 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Wesley walker played 4 seasons with toon... Walker played till 89 toon was drafted in 85

Holy sh*t.  So, that is the "later" when he lined up opposite Wesley Walker?  His first 4 years in the league.  It took us awhile, but that is exactly what I have been saying all along. 

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

So my understanding is that if he ends up on the roster as a RB (regardless of how he sees himself) he will have to change his number. This is likely to happen. I don't see him making this team as a WR but I can see him making it as a RB. NOT THAT IT REALLY MATTERS! 

They never made him change it in Green Bay or Baltimore.  FWIW, he probably motion into the slot enough that he is allowed to wear it. 

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Too bad about those concussions... He was amazing to watch especially later when he had walker opposite him

I once had drinks with Wesley Walker and had to ask him about Toon. He told me for about 1yr after retiring Al stayed looked up in a a dark room form the concussions

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Holy sh*t.  So, that is the "later" when he lined up opposite Wesley Walker?  His first 4 years in the league.  It took us awhile, but that is exactly what I have been saying all along. 

They never made him change it in Green Bay or Baltimore.  FWIW, he probably motion into the slot enough that he is allowed to wear it. 

Sorry my fault I messed up later... Got mixed up.. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

80, 11 Years, 152 Games, 580 catches, 7,365 Yards, 41 TD's, 6 Playoff Games, 19 for 269 and 2 in Playoffs.

88, 8 Years, 107 Games, 517 catches, 6,605 Yards, 31 TD's, 4 Playoff Games, 26 for 330 and 2 in Playoffs.

Toon was definitely a shorter career.   But Toon was also more productive-per-game than Chrebet, and there is no doubt that had Toon stayed healthy his career numbers would materially eclipse Chrebet's.  Both made often spectacular unbelievable catches.  It's also interesting to think who each played with, Chrebet played with better QB's, a great WR and RB.  Toon played with worse QB's, with a great WR, great TE and great RB's.  Chrebet played in a more receiver-friendly era.  

I prefer to think of both of them as amongst the best and most likeable player's we've had.  Along with Mangold, the three make up my trifecta of all-time favorite NY Jets. 

I agree with all this but toons best years were opposite walker...  The last few years he was a shell of himself... Hence why cherbet 11 years were more meaningful and was a guaranteed catch on 3rd down... I loved toon... I just wish he preserved himself better... Cherbet was the jets Welker who both got destroyed as wrs... But both lasted longer then toon

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I was unaware of #80. However, that Kyle f------ Brady got to wear #88 is first and foremost an athletic injustice, and possibly a racial injustice and I can't stand pc stuff. I want to say an oversight, but teams usually pump that ring of fame type stuff and Mr Toon wasn't some bench player. I was young then and it never occurred to me until your post that a bust te wore the number of the greatest Jet WR ever. A brilliant career cut short by concussions and general Jets ineptitude. 

I remember being pissed by Brady number too

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Toon was a really good player.

He was not "the greatest Jet WR ever"

You might want to look up what guys like Walker and Maynard did before him.  

Yeah, I know I know, never saw them play though. Once I saw Toon catch a TD with his legs I was sold. Imagine Al Toon with Broadway Joe.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe because Chrebet had more catches and played more seasons?  

Chrebet wasn't half the WR Toon was.  He had more receptions because he played more games.

Toon played 107 games, chrebet 152 and despite this Wayne only had 63 more recs.

Toon was an all pro, one of the best WRs in the league.  Wayne was a solid WR, never the best WR on his team outside of his rookie year.

Neither number deserves to be retired but if one was it would be 88

30 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I agree with all this but toons best years were opposite walker...  The last few years he was a shell of himself... Hence why cherbet 11 years were more meaningful and was a guaranteed catch on 3rd down... I loved toon... I just wish he preserved himself better... Cherbet was the jets Welker who both got destroyed as wrs... But both lasted longer then toon

Walker was on the downside of his career with toon.  Toons best years were 86 and 88, walker had 75 total catches.  He was still a deep threat and had an impressive TD season in 86 but his best days were behind him.

24 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, I know I know, never saw them play though. Once I saw Toon catch a TD with his legs I was sold. Imagine Al Toon with Broadway Joe.

Caught that ball with his legs vs Seattle.  1986. 

Dont get me wrong, Toon was great, shame with all those concussions but his career doesnt quite match up

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chrebet wasn't half the WR Toon was.  He had more receptions because he played more games.

Toon played 107 games, chrebet 152 and despite this Wayne only had 63 more recs.

Toon was an all pro, one of the best WRs in the league.  Wayne was a solid WR, never the best WR on his team outside of his rookie year.

Neither number deserves to be retired but if one was it would be 88

OMG, should have known

More catches, same yards per, played 3 years longer and played in more games per season, more TDs.

nyjunc sees Toon as twice the receiver.  Who would have guessed, better case would have been that they were both good.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OMG, should have known

More catches, same yards per, played 3 years longer and played in more games per season, more TDs.

nyjunc sees Toon as twice the receiver.  Who would have guessed, 

Different eras, Toon was an ALL PRO WR(multiple years).  Chrebet never even made a pro bowl.

I love chrebet, we all do but it's insane that his number hasn't been issued since he retired.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Chrebet started as a rookie, doesn't matter where or if he was drafted. 

Yeah, it does... when comparing 2 players.....  Toon , obviously, was the more genetically gifted player. Drafted 1st rnd.

Chrebet came out of nowhere/Hoftsra ground out a respected career

9 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Yeah, it does... when comparing 2 players.....  Toon , obviously, was the more genetically gifted player. Drafted 1st rnd.

Chrebet came out of nowhere/Hoftsra ground out a respected career

Toon was taller, Wayne was athletically gifted other than height.  If he wasn't a short, white WR he would have been drafted.  Chrebet had a nice career, it was not worthy of jersey retirement and it's silly they won't issue the number to anyone else.

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He has to officially be labeled a wr to keep that number.

He doesn't. 

Because he started in the league as a WR then switched to RB -another ball-eligible position- he gets to keep #88. Had he been converted to an OL, he'd have to switch to a number between 50-79. 

14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Walker was on the downside of his career with toon.  Toons best years were 86 and 88, walker had 75 total catches.  He was still a deep threat and had an impressive TD season in 86 but his best days were behind him.

Exactly what I wanted to say. Walker's prime was with richard Todd, not kenny obrien. And both walker and toon would have been even better if they had better qbs throwing to them. 

• Upvote 1