Joe Douglas talks with Mike Francesa

49 minutes ago, jgb said:

Douglas is saying the right things and has the most impressive pedigree of any Jets GM ever. Understanding of the importance of OL is critical for team success and Darnold’s development.

He seems to be the “anti-Mac” and that’s all that I could ask for at this point. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

At least Douglas is going to take actual swings at OL in the draft. This is all you want to hear as a Jets fan. Extremely frustrating to watch OL after OL get passed over by Maccagnan because he simply doesn’t believe in investing in one of the most important positions in the NFL. You can’t have your franchise QB getting dragged thru the mud every Sunday and make shift OL’s are lazy and not fixing any long term issue.

It seems like he knows exactly what the fans know when they look at this roster. OL and Playmakers for the kid to work with is first and foremost on the list. It’s refreshing that our GM actually seems to have a clue on how to take the next step for a team that has only taken steps back since 2010-11.

With OT’s like Walker Little, Andrew Thomas and Tre Smith coming out of the 2020 draft, you can’t help but be excited for what he’ll do in a year from now when it’s time for his first offseason...something tells me this season will keep up busy though. I have high, high hopes for the Jets for some reason. They project a different vibe from previous years. I think they’re really ready to be a decent team right now.

yep but at the same time i sense he wants his oline not made of stars but guys who have good technique and play well together.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He spent 15-16 years there, working for a GM considered one of the all time best GMs ever.  In your first interview with the man why wouldn't you ask what he learned from Ozzie?

Why would you go into an on air interview assuming your audience already heard the answer from some other sauce.  Its no big deal

Eh. He’s been everywhere this week; at least phrase the questioning to get new information.  I’d rather hear how he got into scouting, how being a player has affected his current career, challenges he’s faced— you know, meaningful content that I wouldn’t get from any other resource on him. Just my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Drums said:

Eh. He’s been everywhere this week; at least phrase the questioning to get new information.  I’d rather hear how he got into scouting, how being a player has affected his current career, challenges he’s faced— you know, meaningful content that I wouldn’t get from any other resource on him. Just my opinion. 

Eh, its his resume.  

I'd actually rather hear what he took from his time with Ozzie, what he learned, how hes used it in his career post Ravens, etc.

I could care less how or why he got into scouting.  Makes no difference to me.  What hes learned is more important IMO.  How being a player has affected his current career, challenges he’s faced etc are interesting to me.  Why cant they be explored just because of questions about his time with Ozzie and the Ravens?  Theyre on a pitch count with questions?  If those questions arent asked, arent pursued its because whoever is asking didnt care, has nothing to do with the Ozzie question

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Eh, its his resume.  

I'd actually rather hear what he took from his time with Ozzie, what he learned, how hes used it in his career post Ravens, etc.

I could care less how or why he got into scouting.  Makes no difference to me.  What hes learned is more important IMO.  How being a player has affected his current career, challenges he’s faced etc are interesting to me.  Why cant they be explored just because of questions about his time with Ozzie and the Ravens?  Theyre on a pitch count with questions?  If those questions arent asked, arent pursued its because whoever is asking didnt care, has nothing to do with the Ozzie question

That's the point I was making haha. If you're interviewing someone you gotta do your homework and ask meaningful questions. The guy has repeatedly said he can talk hours on Ozzie, so why not explore more than the surface? Cheers. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Which is okay but if we do have a top graded tackle staring us in the face when we are on the clock, I think he’ll take him too. 

i'm certainly okay with that but at the same time if it's a choice between a top rated wr and lt he might go wr.

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Which is okay but if we do have a top graded tackle staring us in the face when we are on the clock, I think he’ll take him too. 

Yes indeed LT is arguably the 2nd most important position after QB in this pass happy version of the NFL.

Jets need to protect Darnolds blindside and give him time to go through his progressions.

A marquee LT would be hard to pass up.

Thats why I think they may take a shot at Trent Williams.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Yes indeed LT is arguably the 2nd most important position after QB in this pass happy version of the NFL.

Jets need to protect Darnolds blindside and give him time to go through his progressions.

A marquee LT would be hard to pass up.

Thats why I think they may take a shot at Trent Williams.

I’d love to see Trent Williams in Green. BIG time move for a rookie GM in his first month lol.

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

What would you give up? And what do you see being reasonable to give up?

I’d live another year without a 2nd rounder. He’s not even going to show up at all if he isn’t traded so they don’t have much leverage with him.

I’d go a 2020 2nd rounder and something in 2021

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 6:58 AM, New York Mick said:

“O-line importance

Douglas, who played offensive line at University of Richmond, stressed the importance of the offensive line and spoke about the commitment to developing linemen. "It's a position that is so technique-oriented, these guys are 300-pound ballet dancers almost," he said.

He also mentioned how crucial it is to have versatile linemen who can play multiple positions. With the Eagles last season against the Jaguars in London, they lost both tackles, Lane Johnson and Jason Peters, for a period of time, but were able to make it work the rest of the game and come away with a win. ”

This is the one thing I wanted to hear 

On point! Darnold is said to have the ability and talent to be THE franchise QB and by some early estimates by coaches and other critics to become one of the best. Put a wall in front of him and the opportunities are infinite. Open up holes for Bell and the Jets become a run pass threat on every play. I’m liking what’s happening at 1 Jets Drive.