a supreme court decision serves as a victory for the redskins’.. ~ ~ ~

kelly

24 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Contains lyrics not safe for work or those easily offended. Context?

So, without listening to this video, it seems to me that black folks looking to take back this infamous slur and use it to empower themselves is dramatically different than if I let the word slip thru my lips. Love Tarantino, too, but I cringed pretty hard when he used it himself in Pulp Fiction. But yeah, rap artists and Samuel L. Jackson can have at it as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do we need to have teams named after such rap lyrics?  And named as such by white people who were known racists? 

You're, like, living in the past, man. That owner is, like, dead and stuff, so it, like, doesn't even matter anymore.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Slats' old ass translating Tim Dog lyrics is just about my favorite moment here in forever.

I'm not hip, but I play hip on the internet. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Which is why you don't erase things you learn from history, as far as the Redskins name goes if it doesn't bother Indians it shouldn't bother you.. I grew up in a era where sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.. Hell if you took bad words out of Rap would it still exist?? But I guess if one doesn't want to ever hear disagreement one can always find a safe space on a college campus and pet a therapy dog..  B) 

Why would Indians care at all about a word used to denigrate Native Americans?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Why would Indians care at all about a word used to denigrate Native Americans?

The word Redskin was first used by the Indians themselves and they called white people paleface's.. Idiots through history have made words racist. Hell some have made red hat's,water melon or fried chicken into racist words..:roll:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The word Redskin was first used by the Indians themselves and they called white people paleface's.. Idiots through history have made words racist. Hell some have made red hat's,water melon or fried chicken into racist words..:roll:

Savage.

Indians are people of India.

Native Americans are not people of India.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Savage.

Indians are people of India.

Native Americans are not people of India.

Fair enough change that to native american's first called themselves redskins..:cheers:  Although Cowboys and Native Americans don't have the right feel somehow..

It's rather telling when someone feels SO strongly about keeping a blatantly racist name for a team they don't even root for that they mass neg-rep posts about why the name is an issue.

The internet never disappoints, but also never surprises.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

So, without listening to this video, it seems to me that black folks looking to take back this infamous slur and use it to empower themselves is dramatically different than if I let the word slip thru my lips. Love Tarantino, too, but I cringed pretty hard when he used it himself in Pulp Fiction. But yeah, rap artists and Samuel L. Jackson can have at it as far as I'm concerned. 

Dave Chapelle owned it. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's rather telling when someone feels SO strongly about keeping a blatantly racist name for a team they don't even root for that they mass neg-rep posts about why the name is an issue.

The internet never disappoints, but also never surprises.

I don't think anyone should get a neg rep for having a different opinion but you feel strongly the other way and it's not the team you root for..

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I don't think anyone should get a neg rep for having a different opinion but you feel strongly the other way and it's not the team you root for..

I do feel strongly, yes.  We all should IMO when it comes to rooting out and ending racism.

While I do not root for the Burgundy & Gold, I DO live here.  I have a vested local interest.

Here is a good test of the pro-Redskins folks: 

Go ahead and refer to every poster at JN and every person you meet in public as "whiteskin", "blackskin", "redskin", "yellowskin" and "brownskin" for the rest of the week. 

Since it's clearly no big deal to use such terms, and definitely not racism, surely only, say 9% (the safe space snowflakes, right?) of JN forum users or randoms on the street will be offended, right?  And that would justify the continuing to use these terms forever, right? 

It would be tradition then, and heaven forbid we screw with tradition!  

Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk. :-k

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I do feel strongly, yes.  We all should IMO when it comes to rooting out and ending racism.

While I do not root for the Burgundy & Gold, I DO live here.  I have a vested local interest.

Go ahead and refer to every poster at JN and every person you meet in public as "whiteskin", "blackskin", "redskin", "yellowskin" and "brownskin" for the rest of the week. 

Since it's clearly no big deal to use such terms, and definitely not racism, surely only, say 9% (the safe space snowflakes, right?) of JN forum users or randoms on the street will be offended, right?  And that would justify the continuing to use these terms forever, right? 

You're never going to totally end racism, people are always going to think they are better than someone else. It's human nature.

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

You're never going to totally end racism, people are always going to think they are better than someone else. It's human nature.

We cannot 100% eliminate it, so why bother at all? :blink:

And yes, will will get past it, "human nature" is nothing but a social construct, a way of explaining how people are raised and taught. 

When old racists die off, and new generations are taught differently, racism (like any ignorant idea) will dry up and die off as well.  We may never get 100%, but we'll get 99.9%, and those remaining can hang out with the Moon Landing Was Faked Flat Earther World is only 5,000 Years Old types.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You forgot fluffy skinned.

10 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

This is an awful viewpoint.  Kids aren't born racist.  They're taught racism.  Kids play together with kids of all backgrounds without a care in the world until they're told not to. 

• Upvote 1