Gregg Williams: Jamal Adams could play corner, but we haven't crossed that bridge

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This isn’t a Jamal joke, but they really should try him at corner, if only to maximize his effectiveness as well as to get the best 11 guys on the field. It’s likely that whoever the CB2 is is going to get torched anyway, so if Jamal can be even decent in coverage, it’d be a win-win. 

Thanks to our well respected DC, your hidden love and respect for Jamal has been exposed. Now you can post a pic of that anatomically correct Jamal Adams love doll thats been hidden away for so long

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Adams has played deep safety, box safety, rush line backer, slot corner and outside corner for the Jets 

he’s an elite athlete and defender 

He’s not.  Adams doesn’t have elite speed and is prone to getting caught into double fakes

Mac really left us with a sh-t sandwich on defense

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, genot said:

Thanks to our well respected DC, your hidden love and respect for Jamal has been exposed. Now you can post a pic of that anatomically correct Jamal Adams love doll thats been hidden away for so long

1. It’s a Natalie Portman doll

2. Jamal Adams sucks 

• Upvote 2

On 8/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, TeddEY said:

Great athlete?  Not so sure.  But, at the very least, he's got the arm length to give you fan boi's the reach-around.

JA.JPG

I'm not sure how someone could have decent/good 20 yard shuttle, 3-cone drill and 40 times while bombing the 60 yard shuttle and Vertical jump so badly.  Seems somewhat anomalous, no?  He's in the 73rd percentile for the 20 yard shuttle, 61st percentile on 3-cone....yet the 8th in the Vertical jump and 14th in the 60 yard shuttle?  Something doesn't add up.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not sure how someone could have decent/good 20 yard shuttle, 3-cone drill and 40 times while bombing the 60 yard shuttle and Vertical jump so badly.  Seems somewhat anomalous, no?  He's in the 73rd percentile for the 20 yard shuttle, 61st percentile on 3-cone....yet the 8th in the Vertical jump and 14th in the 60 yard shuttle?  Something doesn't add up.

Shhhhhh. Don't tell the metric huggers.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

First off, the numbers you're calling good aren't actually all that good.  They're still well within an SD of the mean.  Also, bombing probably isn't the right way to think about this.  They aren't scores.  They're percentile ranks.  Jamal may have jumped only one inch less than most safeties, but that could have been enough to put him in the 8th percentile.

As for vertical jump, considering it's different than running, perhaps, and I know this might be crazy, but, perhaps, Jamal Adams does not jump very high.

As for the 60-yard shuttle.  I couldn't say with confidence, but I'd imagine the difference between the 20-yard shuttle and the 60-yard shuttle is that perhaps he's got a decent 1st step, but over time, isn't all that fast.  Which, is sort of evidenced by his 40-time.

Honestly, I wish I could compare his numbers to LBs, because, that's kind of what he actually is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

First off, the numbers you're calling good aren't actually all that good.  They're still well within an SD of the mean.  Also, bombing probably isn't the right way to think about this.  They aren't scores.  They're percentile ranks.  Jamal may have jumped only one inch less than most safeties, but that could have been enough to put him in the 8th percentile.

As for vertical jump, considering it's different than running, perhaps, and I know this might be crazy, but, perhaps, Jamal Adams does not jump very high.

As for the 60-yard shuttle.  I couldn't say with confidence, but I'd imagine the difference between the 20-yard shuttle and the 60-yard shuttle is that perhaps he's got a decent 1st step, but over time, isn't all that fast.  Which, is sort of evidenced by his 40-time.

Honestly, I wish I could compare his numbers to LBs, because, that's kind of what he actually is.

Honest question, do they have any measurement for reaction time?

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Call me when theirs a combine event for Leadership

That is an entirely different thing, and you know it.

I am not a huge fan of looking at number and making pronouncements on players in any sport. It is a lazy and superficial way of talent evaluation.

I am curious of how Adams numbers would have compared with Kam Chancellor, whom I also recall not having eye-popping measurables, but showed that he could have a very productive career

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is an entirely different thing, and you know it.

I am not a huge fan of looking at number and making pronouncements on players in any sport. It is a lazy and superficial way of talent evaluation.

I am curious of how Adams numbers would have compared with Kam Chancellor, whom I also recall not having eye-popping measurables, but showed that he could have a very productive career

Adams was better in every category except the vert. Chancellor was also three inches taller, seventeen pounds heavier, and got drafted four rounds later.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Adams was better in every category except the vert. Chancellor was also three inches taller, seventeen pounds heavier, and got drafted four rounds later.

I understand being taller more advantageous, but not the weight. I can't recall many times when Adams has been out-leveraged. 

At some point, and I am at that point, I really don't care where a player was drafted. It becomes a matter of how does the player rank in terms of his peers. Where they were drafted is marker for the GM's ledger, not the player.

When Adams negotiates his next contract, the value will be based on his expected contributions and relative worth, not what round he was drafted. That is my chief concern with the player. at this point.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I understand being taller more advantageous, but not the weight. I can't recall many times when Adams has been out-leveraged. 

At some point, and I am at that point, I really don't care where a player was drafted. It becomes a matter of how does the player rank in terms of his peers. Where they were drafted is marker for the GM's ledger, not the player.

When Adams negotiates his next contract, the value will be based on his expected contributions and relative worth, not what round he was drafted. That is my chief concern with the player. at this point.

The weight matters if you’re comparing workout numbers, which is what I thought we were doing. EY mentioned comparing Adams’s Combine results to a linebacker, and Chancellor is an even better example of that.

I’m glad you’ve made peace with where Adams was drafted, but I haven’t, because ultimately it cost us four premium draft picks. And Adams’s draft position is my main gripe, so if you’re just going to fiat the entire idea of value then we don’t really have much to talk about. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m glad you’ve made peace with where Adams was drafted,

What else am I supposed to do, have a hissy fit continually complaining about something in the past and I have no control over? Again, that is on the GM's ledger that drafted him.

My chief concern is how he compares to peers and what his worth may be to the Jets in the future. Combine numbers be damned.