Rebuilding vs. Rebuilt

jetstream23

There's a difference.  The Jets are rebuilding and this is what it looks like.  Uneven, sloppy, good things, bad things.

The Jets played very solid on D for 3 quarters yesterday and weren't deep enough (Avery Williamson) or resilient enough (Hewitt, Cashman are JAGS) to overcome an injury to the best player and primary signal caller on their defense.  Remember, the reason Avery Williamson was on the field when he got hurt was because he was practicing CJ Mosely's spot and calling plays on D.

The offense was anemic for most of the game.  They wiggled loose a few times but nothing substantial.  Bell is obviously the best talent on the O, but the Offensive Line is average at best and faced a Top 8-10 Defense in Buffalo yesterday.  The Jets have no true "Go To" WR and have shoehorned Jamison Crowder into that role.  17 targets?  Really?  Gase and Darnold need to hit the film room and reevaluate entire sections of the playbook as it relates to designed rollouts, not telegraphing screens/short patterns, and giving the QB more optionality.

How's this for a hot take - Vedvik will be a blessing in disguise.  If he misses that XP but makes the FG then the Jets win and we get a false sense of confidence that maybe things are okay.  And, Vedvik likely would have stuck around another week.  Instead, the kicking problem is SUCH a given that nobody even talks about it because we're all in agreement.  It's the problems on O that will be heavily looked at...as they should be.

Just like the Browns, the Jets are unlikely to easily jump from being a bad/average team with a rookie QB in 2018 to a playoff team in just one season.  The team has improved at a number of levels but there's a ton of work to be done.  You can't undo 5 years of bad drafting in one season.  We're trying to bake a cake that doesn't even have all the ingredients mixed in it yet.  It will be messy.  There will be 1 point losses.  This is what rebuilding looks like.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How's this for a hot take - Vedvik will be a blessing in disguise.  If he misses that XP but makes the FG then the Jets win and we get a false sense of confidence that maybe things are okay.  

Yeah, imagine how much trouble we’d be in if we had won yesterday

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yeah, imagine how much trouble we’d be in if we had won yesterday

Would have been a Pyrrhic victory, my friend.  High fives all around and nobody taking a microscope to the fact that Darnold is still throwing off his back foot and Gase couldn't innovate his way to just 2 or 3 first downs when the game was on the line and he had the ball with 5 minutes left.

18 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

And hopefully JD realizes that the Jets are just now starting to rebuild.  Gonna take 2-3 years at least to (hopefully), rebuild the OL, and that should be Job One.  Draft 2-3 OL each of the next 2 years.

2 Drafts IMO, and like a house you start with the foundation.  The Jets have enough to be competitive during the rebuild in terms of some playmakers here (Bell, Mosely, Adams, etc.) but pouring the foundation for the Offensive Line, finding a CB1 and a WR1 will be the priorities over the next two seasons.

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

We are screwed any way. Even if Douglas drafts well in 2020, the new CBA is due 2021. The league will be on strike. 

Only good news is I do think it’s all out Brady 2019 because the end is close.

I think I posted this same exact sentence 4 years and 2 Patriots Super Bowls ago with 2015 instead of 2019 being the only difference.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There's a difference.  The Jets are rebuilding and this is what it looks like.  Uneven, sloppy, good things, bad things.

The Jets played very solid on D for 3 quarters yesterday and weren't deep enough (Avery Williamson) or resilient enough (Hewitt, Cashman are JAGS) to overcome an injury to the best player and primary signal caller on their defense.  Remember, the reason Avery Williamson was on the field when he got hurt was because he was practicing CJ Mosely's spot and calling plays on D.

The offense was anemic for most of the game.  They wiggled loose a few times but nothing substantial.  Bell is obviously the best talent on the O, but the Offensive Line is average at best and faced a Top 8-10 Defense in Buffalo yesterday.  The Jets have no true "Go To" WR and have shoehorned Jamison Crowder into that role.  17 targets?  Really?  Gase and Darnold need to hit the film room and reevaluate entire sections of the playbook as it relates to designed rollouts, not telegraphing screens/short patterns, and giving the QB more optionality.

How's this for a hot take - Vedvik will be a blessing in disguise.  If he misses that XP but makes the FG then the Jets win and we get a false sense of confidence that maybe things are okay.  And, Vedvik likely would have stuck around another week.  Instead, the kicking problem is SUCH a given that nobody even talks about it because we're all in agreement.  It's the problems on O that will be heavily looked at...as they should be.

Just like the Browns, the Jets are unlikely to easily jump from being a bad/average team with a rookie QB in 2018 to a playoff team in just one season.  The team has improved at a number of levels but there's a ton of work to be done.  You can't undo 5 years of bad drafting in one season.  We're trying to bake a cake that doesn't even have all the ingredients mixed in it yet.  It will be messy.  There will be 1 point losses.  This is what rebuilding looks like.

Until I see the defense generate turnovers against not Josh Allen, I’m holding off on celebrating their effort yesterday.

The 5th iteration of the rebuild is off to a terrible start with an interior DL who got hurt, no second round pick, and a 3rd rounder who was already cut.

The Browns have talent all over the field.  Maybe it won’t pan out, but the Jets are a bottom 3 roster who, today, are as far away from a championship as they’ve ever been.

36 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Until I see the defense generate turnovers against not Josh Allen, I’m holding off on celebrating their effort yesterday.

The 5th iteration of the rebuild is off to a terrible start with an interior DL who got hurt, no second round pick, and a 3rd rounder who was already cut.

The Browns have talent all over the field.  Maybe it won’t pan out, but the Jets are a bottom 3 roster who, today, are as far away from a championship as they’ve ever been.

Understood. But perspective is important.

To Jets fans this is a decade of rebuilding and watching the team draft an interior lineman in Round 1 for the 5th time.

For Douglas it's month 4 on the job.  He is still waiting to run his first Draft here.  He was handed a mediocre roster with some heavy contracts.

We all feel like we've been on this ride before....because we have.  We're tired of this stuff and we see some patterns, concerns, flaws that we recognize from years past.  I'm just saying let's remember that ugly loss and inability to close out the game yesterday was the very first time it's ever happened for Gase as HC of the Jets.  Even if we've seen that movie before.

I'm won't hit the panic button unless and until I see what this team has done over a bigger sample size of games.

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Miami's "proper" rebuild is off to a good start. Losing historically is no way to win

I'm not saying that it is but if you're signing high priced free agents and you neglect core components such as the OLine and secondary for quick fixes you're never going to get anywhere.

• Upvote 1