The best Safety Duo in the NFL

Mike135

1 hour ago, SpartanJet said:

Boy with the high draft capital spent and the importance of safeties I'm sure there must have been an avalanche of winning since they arrived.

Yeah, not the picks I would have made but having said that, when both are on the field they significantly raise the level of both our pass defense and run defense so they are pretty valuable. And Maye and Adams are actually better than the sum of their parts. When Maye is playing they can let Adams freelance more and be disruptive. Silly to get upset by our drafting now, especially since they are both 2 of our best players.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Honest question: Did any of you ever hear of the phrase “best safety duo” before the Jets had these two guys? Because it feels like something we made up in order to justify blowing a draft on safeties. 

Like when Rex used to bring up the weirdest “stats” to prove his D was #1. Least TE yards allowed during a full moon. Most stops on 2nd and long. Least points allowed via trick plays (tied with 29 other teams).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Something the jets would know almost nothing about because they have put all resources into the defense over the years and had bad offenses due to lack of resources and bad defenses due to poor positional priority allotment.

If this team over the last few years was top 5 in defense and terrible on offense and their record was poor the people praising all the 'great players' we have would have a leg to stand on. 

Yep.  If you just isolate the defense stats since 2017, the D is below average.  Adams and Maye:  "Not the problem" but also not the solution for the last 37 games!

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

between the 2 they have

1 INT.... 

0 forced fumbles 

0 fumble recoveries

0 sacks

sure other safety tandems are beating those inpressive stats

Yeah but a jet fan made a video saying they are the best so they are the best. Case closed !

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yeah but a jet fan made a video saying they are the best so they are the best. Case closed !

JA is an above average player

Maye is starting to look that way too...   but neither get the ball...   we need that, top level DBs get the ball. period.

don't "hate" them...

but they dont add ENOUGH to tip the scales 95% of the time..

I mean, Maye comes up with the INT b4 the last TD??? THATS WHAT WE NEED, THATS TOP LEVEL

• Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  If you just isolate the defense stats since 2017, the D is below average.  Adams and Maye:  "Not the problem" but also not the solution for the last 37 games!

But you can make that claim for any losing losing team that has a very good defensive player or two.   Almost every losing team has a stud on their squad but are they all considered not part of the solution?

It all goes back to drafting and FA' signings.  Jets hit a home run with Adams and Maye, there's no doubt about it, but the problem is that we had/have too many holes to fill.   Our defense should be lights out. with the safety duo, Mosley, Williamson, Barr, Trumaine LEO, and Quentin.  We all know why those guys are bolded SMH

Luckily we did get a franchise caliber QB and the focus should shift to protecting him and a dependable WR.  

The GM has to stick to a plan.  In the next draft there may be a great CB or edge rusher available when we pick but what's the plan?  Protect Sam??....that ryhmed!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've been saying since their rookie year that I think Marcus Maye is a great player. I predict when it comes time for contract extensions we will be keeping number 20 over number 33.  Adams is a good player but everybody knows more about him because he's loud and boisterous and constantly working on his brand. Marcus Maye is the real glue..you'll see.

Maye...pun intended

47 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

JA is an above average player

Maye is starting to look that way too...   but neither get the ball...   we need that, top level DBs get the ball. period.

don't "hate" them...

but they dont add ENOUGH to tip the scales 95% of the time..

I mean, Maye comes up with the INT b4 the last TD??? THATS WHAT WE NEED, THATS TOP LEVEL

I think the rule of thumb for Adams, Darnold and maybe a few others, is that either you effusively praise them every chance you get or you a hate them. There is no middle ground.

I don't know that I'm able to completely codify how a player acheives this status in the fans minds, but young and early pick seem to be part of the criteria. Flashing above average ability would be in there as well, which is why guys like Dee Milliner never made this status

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Honest question: Did any of you ever hear of the phrase “best safety duo” before the Jets had these two guys? Because it feels like something we made up in order to justify blowing a draft on safeties. 

Nope it’s a thing you ruthless bastard 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2139584-10-most-talented-safety-tandems-in-the-nfl.amp.html

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Really comical reading the reactions to the film - no matter the positives , your gonna hear the negatives form those that don't understand that it's going to take a few years to implement all the pieces to the puzzle. 

It didn't happen overnight when the Giants drafted Lawrence Taylor - it wasn't all on him and Leonard Marshall.

Sam D. is the main cog - but there has to a supporting cast around him - the need  to worry about the safeties is gone so now to focus on the CB and OL.

IMO, this team is 4 players away from being a really legit playoff contender -

a very good cover corner, a go-to #1 receive and 2 OL players , center/guard or tackle.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Something the jets would know almost nothing about because they have put all resources into the defense over the years and had bad offenses due to lack of resources and bad defenses due to poor positional priority allotment.

If this team over the last few years was top 5 in defense and terrible on offense and their record was poor the people praising all the 'great players' we have would have a leg to stand on. 

Understood, this team is better then you give it credit for... YES YES, I Know 1-4 BLAH BLAH BLAH... and if they finish 10-6 what do you say then? Easy schedule they lucked out, etc. 

You are the type of poster that the Jets could win against the Pats on Monday and you would talk about how bad the kicker is because he missed a FG... or how bad the OL is because Darnold got sacked 4 times, or how lucky the team is because Dorsett slipped on a play and the Jets got a lucky INT TD... 

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It's not just Jet Fans... Orvlosky and Baldy praise them too. As well as many other former players that review tapes... So there is that

Is there anyone Baldy doesn't praise ?

jftr.. they are both good players and may very well be the best duo. I havent watched enough non jet games to even comment. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

Is there anyone Baldy doesn't praise ?

jftr.. they are both good players and may very well be the best duo. I havent watched enough non jet games to even comment. 

Baldy picks players that stand out... So he talks about the stand out players... In that sense, he praises all the players he talks about... He isn't choosing Trumaine Johnson, or Leonard Williams... He is choosing the standouts... from all teams.

4 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

Congrats put him and Mays in the hall of fame. I never seen any game winning interceptions. Forced fumble sacks. Just tackles. Where were they and their performance before Darnold came back. Great role players. Only jets fans make them into all stars.

There are plenty of series stopping breakups or tackles on third and fourth down, but who cares about those because they are in the middle of the game... So they don't count.

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There are plenty of series stopping breakups or tackles on third and fourth down, but who cares about those because they are in the middle of the game... So they don't count.

How many wins has Jamal big mouth led the jets??? He should only talk when he leads the team to the playoffs. He yaps too much. He's a gadget type of player good at different roles not great at all. For the amount of talking he does he makes himself the best of all time. Dude your dad sucked as a player and your just above average. Talk when you beat the pats by making a pick 6 or fumble recover. Not getting lucky making a tackle on 4th down. That pass he broke up on 4th down could been a penalty. 

Jamal must have family on here posting his praises. This is why players like him are overrated. Him, Leonard and the other 1st round picks we invested in. None are game changers. All talk and dance after making a tackle. Good riddance.

• Thumb Down 3

Just now, slimjasi said:

They have also played most of their respective careers (thus far) with mediocre to outright bad corners. 

Love this. How many game winning pick 6 has Jamal made in the last 3 years leading the jets to the playoffs.... I hear crickets... But it's all good we got the best safety duo in the league. Only tackles and pass breakups is we care about. Not crunch time final drive game winning sacks, forced fumbles or interceptions. Thats what top notch defences do. 

Dear God please don't let the jets resign Jamal big mouth adams to a big deal. He's a jack of all trades master of none. A linebacker playing safety for God sakes. He's all about his brand, his style, fashion and a loud mouth. 

12 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Fact they have one of the worst pass rush in the league makes these two even more amazing btw

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They have also played most of their respective careers (thus far) with mediocre to outright bad corners. 

Why is any of that surprising?  What have they done to overcome those issues?  A quick look says 21st in pass yards allowed in 2017, 29th in passing TDs allowed.  2018 24/19.  2019 21/6.  Have to figure those numbers would be worse if our offense weren't so anemic and teams had to throw on occasion.  Net yards per pass attempt have been 21, 19 and 22 since those two got here.  Nothing amazing about any of that.

11 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

Love this. How many game winning pick 6 has Jamal made in the last 3 years leading the jets to the playoffs.... I hear crickets... But it's all good we got the best safety duo in the league. Only tackles and pass breakups is we care about. Not crunch time final drive game winning sacks, forced fumbles or interceptions. Thats what top notch defences do. 

Dear God please don't let the jets resign Jamal big mouth adams to a big deal. He's a jack of all trades master of none. A linebacker playing safety for God sakes. He's all about his brand, his style, fashion and a loud mouth. 

I never wrote that we have the "best safety duo in the league," and in fact, I think that it is a fairly silly concept in today's NFL. With all of the spread formations on offense and exotic blitz packages on defense, safeties are sort of doing a little bit of everything, so it's hard to even define what having the "best safety duo in the league" really does for a team. 

I do, however, think that Adams and Maye are good to very good players. 

13 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

Jamal is a very good player and Maye is looking better and better.  We have a great tandem that can help this team for a long time but we need more than just them.  It doesn't matter what position it is, you have to have a well rounded team to win in this league.   

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Like when Rex used to bring up the weirdest “stats” to prove his D was #1. Least TE yards allowed during a full moon. Most stops on 2nd and long. Least points allowed via trick plays (tied with 29 other teams).

Classic Rex!

I had never heard a head coach do this before. It always made me laugh. 

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You mean like best RB duo?

CB duo? 

LB duo? 

Yeah, did you ever feel the need to ask because, you know, it's stupid to have good S's.  Or it's because other teams haven't had a duo this good? 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I never wrote that we have the "best safety duo in the league," and in fact, I think that it is a fairly silly concept in today's NFL. With all of the spread formations on offense and exotic blitz packages on defense, safeties are sort of doing a little bit of everything, so it's hard to even define what having the "best safety duo in the league" really does for a team. 

I do, however, think that Adams and Maye are good to very good players. 

With the amount of draft picks on defense that are spent talent alone should make them top ten. We end up with guys who are lazy bums and out of the league.

This slime we drafted all suck can't get to the QB. Leonard williams is a loser.

It just dawned on me that some of the non sensible Jamal haters (there are some that sensible) are always asking "show me this play" show me where he intercepted...".   Blah blah blah.     Why don't ya'll show us where you find something, a video, an article, a quote  that says Jamal Adams is not one if not the best safeties or defensive players in the NFL.     "If Jamal is great than why haven't we won more  games?" This is more of a question that a child would ask more so than adult who watches and understands football.   

I'll wait...