The Game Plan Thread(The Road to .500 Edition)

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The road to .500 is much different then the road to the SB, my friend. 

We just want progress here.

These are the only goals. You'll get progress once the GM finishes a 2 year re-org. he is a winner place is full of sub par personnel all over the place. Provided ownership doesn't screw it up, again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

These are the only goals. You'll get progress once the GM finishes a 2 year re-org. he is a winner place is full of sub par personnel all over the place. Provided ownership doesn't screw it up, again.

JD’s plan will be of the right intentions. He will definitely attack all of the weak areas that are obvious to the fan base. Edge, OL, CB, WR.

What is going to make the difference is if his eye for scouting is truly to the caliber that people say it is. 

but as for now, all we can do is watch the rest of the season play out and hope for roster maturity, Darnold maturity and a few good wins.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Jets have momentum. Cold and windy Met life can only help the Jets. Carr not used to wind and cold. Early game for a west coast team helps the Jets. Matchup isn't horrible for the Jets - Raiders barely scraped by the Bengals. I like the Jets in this one 27-20

That is another underlying factor. the time and the weather. We historically do worse on the West Coast than we do around town. They are going to be tired and freezing their asses off all day. Let’s see what kind of affect it has. Their minds are set back on a 3-4 hour difference. On the WC it’s only 8-9 o’ clock when we play at 1PM. 

• Sympathy 1

Fundamentally on offense what I look for:

Raiders will no doubt look to shut down the running game, which shouldnt be hard to do since we're employing a blocking scheme that doesnt fit our players right now (thanks mac).  Gase still has to stay committed to running the football against this front however, with suspect LB play i would shift my focus to some more Gap run plays.  (Power, counter, power o)  to try to get some movement and eek out 3-4 yards consistently on runs.  If the jets are able to do that they'll have a good chance to put up points similar to the last two weeks. 

In the passing game the raiders will mix coverages, but they feature good young safety play so darnold has to be careful throwing deep and over the middle of the field.  If im the raiders, I want to keep darnold in the pocket and stop the play action roll out (why the running game is so important this week).  If the jets are able to run the ball consistently then gase can get darnold rolling out and give him easy high low half field reads.  I would also continue to use their shallow concepts to get crossers going from one side to the other.  While the raiders situationally have been good on defense but its a young secondary and like has been pointed out the LB play is suspect so crossing routes, especially on first down will be a way to get easy yardage and keep this offense in manageable down and distance.  

This offense with the current skillset and players is more suited to grudens style of offense than what gase wants to use here.  With some good drafts and crafty pick ups the jets can get to the style that ultimately will open this offense up a little more.  

Keys of offense:  run the ball, control the clock, stay ahead of schedule D&DST, Limit mistakes (penalties, MAs), and avoid turnovers. 

Defensively its pretty simple.  STOP THE RUN, no matter how football changes it always stays the same.  If you can run the ball and play good defense, you will win games.  True at any level. 

Stop the run, the play action that Carr and the offense has been so good at goes away. I would stay away from cover 2 this week since Tyrell williams can kill you in the deep middle on PA if we slip up, so id stay more cover 3/4 if going a traditional straight zone.   Man coverage is going to be tough even though we will have to use it to get pressure on the QB.  The raiders have quality receiving options all over the offense even if they dont feature a true #1 at any position.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Jets have momentum. Cold and windy Met life can only help the Jets. Carr not used to wind and cold. Early game for a west coast team helps the Jets. Matchup isn't horrible for the Jets - Raiders barely scraped by the Bengals. I like the Jets in this one 27-20

Cold and rain helps the ground game, rain is an equalizer. Is that Jacobs guy still healthy ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

for now, all we can do is watch the rest of the season play out and hope for roster maturity, Darnold maturity and a few good wins.

w/ far fetched hopes for the playoffs and even the fever-dream of a playoff win for the first time in a decade off the table...

this is what we are left w/

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Raiders will no doubt look to shut down the running game, which shouldnt be hard to do since we're employing a blocking scheme that doesnt fit our players right now (thanks mac).  Gase still has to stay committed to running the football against this front however, with suspect LB play i would shift my focus to some more Gap run plays.  (Power, counter, power o)  to try to get some movement and eek out 3-4 yards consistently on runs.  If the jets are able to do that they'll have a good chance to put up points similar to the last two weeks. 

In the passing game the raiders will mix coverages, but they feature good young safety play so darnold has to be careful throwing deep and over the middle of the field.  If im the raiders, I want to keep darnold in the pocket and stop the play action roll out (why the running game is so important this week).  If the jets are able to run the ball consistently then gase can get darnold rolling out and give him easy high low half field reads.  I would also continue to use their shallow concepts to get crossers going from one side to the other.  While the raiders situationally have been good on defense but its a young secondary and like has been pointed out the LB play is suspect so crossing routes, especially on first down will be a way to get easy yardage and keep this offense in manageable down and distance.  

This offense with the current skillset and players is more suited to grudens style of offense than what gase wants to use here.  With some good drafts and crafty pick ups the jets can get to the style that ultimately will open this offense up a little more.  

Keys of offense:  run the ball, control the clock, stay ahead of schedule D&DST, Limit mistakes (penalties, MAs), and avoid turnovers. 

Defensively its pretty simple.  STOP THE RUN, no matter how football changes it always stays the same.  If you can run the ball and play good defense, you will win games.  True at any level. 

Stop the run, the play action that Carr and the offense has been so good at goes away. I would stay away from cover 2 this week since Tyrell williams can kill you in the deep middle on PA if we slip up, so id stay more cover 3/4 if going a traditional straight zone.   Man coverage is going to be tough even though we will have to use it to get pressure on the QB.  The raiders have quality receiving options all over the offense even if they dont feature a true #1 at any position.  

Great post and some really good points. Karl Joesph is a good player, as is Lamarcus Joyner. Darnold will get picked off if he isn’t aware and careful. The deep over the middle plays have to be calculated shots. They have to be far and between. cannot become predictable. 

• Upvote 2

I think the Jets have a decent shot here for a couple reasons.

- The Raiders have beat up on some teams because of their ability to run. Teams stack the box and that opens short passing lanes for Carr... I think the Jets can defend it with just their base upfront guys. I don't think they'll have to sit Adams or a LB up close every down to stop Jacobs and the run.

- They're traveling across the country for the game, and they have a huge game next week against the Chiefs. They might not be "all there" Sunday... They're 1-3 on the road. Too much is probably made of "trap" games, but this is a classic one. 

Ultimately though I think this game comes down to a story of offensive lines. I'm worried about the pressure the Raiders will bring off the edge... Especially if Beachum can't play for the Jets. On the other side the Raiders line has been really good both in helping the run and keeping Carr upright... That spells trouble for the Jets unless Adams can play out of his mind again. Even then they'll need someone else to step up and create pressure to knock Carr off his game.

Right now I think the Raiders will win, but we'll see how the week shapes up... Lets say 30-27 for now. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

The road to the Division, AFC, SB Championship is not paved with beating the bottom third of the league especially when you are in and around that 3rd.

true enough but how many games do they need to win against 500+ teams? maybe 2 or 3?  the beauty is that only the w's count.

Honestly not concerned with the outcome of this game from a win loss perspective.  I just want to see Darnold to continue putting that horrible 2 game stretch behind him and keep showing the ability to make plays in a variety of ways with the ultimate ask to eliminate the one bozo play he’s been good for just about every game. 

That said, the Jets can stop the run and make the Raiders one dimensional.  My biggest fear is Jacobs out of the backfield.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

So while it’s virtually over with for our season, I figured I’d make a game planning thread that can be updated each week as we finish this brutal year out. We probably will not win much more but this gives us an outlet to at least talk REAL ball for the upcoming opponent rather than bicker back and fourth about Darnold’s floor being Phillip Rivers or call each other a punk ass b*tch for having different opinions lolzzz. Okay let’s get started...

ECA314E7-A84C-411F-A324-E4B10E27F9E5.jpeg.af876d2b2c549b33056d293c8a36e0da.jpeg

OAKLAND RAIDERS(6-4)

Watched a lot of the bengals game. Looked like the regular from Jon Gruden’s Offense. Mostly old school smashmouth with some PA and quick throws. Guy likes to use Josh Jacobs everywhere, Derek Carr has been very decisive and accurate this season. He’s 15 TD’s to 5 INT’s on the season with a completion % of 72.3%. The running game has really been a nice relief and change of pace for Carr. It seemed like he had to do it all on his own the past 2-3 years and he just can’t get it done with a bad OL and no answers besides forcing the ball down field. This year they look good on offense, competitive, and have a clear identity. It’s all about keeping opposing offenses on their toes. They can and will hit you with the pass and run in confusing patterns because they do both so well. They have the #8th ranked offense in the league. #7th pass offense and #12th rushing offense.

On defense, they have a decent young DL. Good draft from last year gave them Maxx Crosby who feasted with a 4 Sack game last week. He has 6.5 sacks on the season, albeit, 4 of them coming in one game. Despite the youth infusion on the DL, they still have a 28th ranked defense. (23 against the pass, 22 against the run.) Their corners are young and inexperienced much like ours but have much more potential in the secondary than ours as well. point blank their corners can make plays if you give it to them. They picked Rivers off three times two week ago, but, if anything, their linebacker situation is really suspect. 

Despite the Oakland Raiders being on a two-game win streak and currently challenging KC for the division. (They are one game behind) they still have only beaten opponents by 7+ points TWICE out of the 10 games played this season. What is the catalyst to this? Bad adjustments? Defense letting the opposing offense go up the field often? offense tiring out? All valid questions...well for one their adjusted rush% is not good. It looks like when the rush gets shut down, they are one dimensional and begin to look an awful lot like the old Raiders..much easier to play bend/don’t break defense against. Their numbers are the highlighted.(-5.2%) for anyone who doesn’t know how to read DVOA,  Positive % on offense is good. Negative on offense is bad. Vice verse for defense. Negative is good, positive is bad.4E520D98-78C4-44EC-AB4C-8C14A39197A4.jpeg.dbcba97eea6adf1de171baf4a9e8d772.jpeg

The surface stats tell about the same story. They can be ran on. I don’t put much stock in Ryan Finley throwing the football so decided to take simplified statistics from a better QB/passing offense to compare with the Bengals game.

Here is the Bengals rushing stats v OAK:::

713EE44B-9F16-41BE-8072-796D7C740BF5.thumb.jpeg.049cd221ac20e50999d772c9bfbe6601.jpeg

Here is the Lions game v OAK::

8899C64B-AEBB-4760-85EF-3B3CD7F7DA8A.thumb.jpeg.5d33656d756b950c2afdf031dbbb3112.jpeg

Stanford was able to carve them up for 406 yards and 3 TD’s. Why is that? Well for one, their adjusted pass D is bad. I can see why Stafford, a vet, was able to do this to not only the 23rd ranked Pass D in the league but one with an adjusted rate of 34% (since its a positive # in the defensive category, it’s plain awful)1C8AC8ED-0CD7-4DC7-9259-C36140A293D4.thumb.jpeg.f4ae84acbc6eacfcf539102613266e51.jpeg

But the Detroit Lions still lost the game...it’s really simple. The Raiders were able to score with 2:04 left in the game and DESPITE STATS...were able to get a defensive stop on 4th down against a QB that had previously torched them for 3 and 1/2 quarters. Clearly they close games well. They aren’t the Redskins and they aren’t going to shoot themselves in the foot. They aren’t going to give Darnold easy passes deep into this game.

so how do we actually beat them? 

You go against the grain and you throw the ball. Darnold has to throw the ball just as good as he has the past two weeks. This is a copy-cat league, Gruden is going to bait Darnold some plays, jail-house blitz him, mix up coverage, ALL the stuff you see NFL DC’s usually do when trying to confuse a young QB. Gase’s game plan has to be making things easy for him but not making things so easy that they aren’t aggressive. They need to attack this secondary and most importantly use Bell on mismatches against those suspect LBers. It’s funny because this all really goes hand in hand. You help Sam out BY getting Bell out in the flat or setting him in the slot — this in turn should be a huge advantage for us over the middle against slow LBer’s. Big gains, simplified throw, all is good. That cannot be the only outlet for the offense though. You have to get these TE’s involved each and every game. Darnold plays well when Herndon/Ryan Griffin are getting open over the middle and in the corner. It gives him more players to throw to. When you have 3-4 WR sets and no one is gaining separation, this is where things get iffy. You give sam another option or two, you spread the defense out, you let Sam find someone breaking off their pattern or flat out OPEN...good things happen. This isn’t to say spread it out all game but for a decent % of passing plays, YES, go full out college ball. Spread that sh*t out and attack. I hate cheap screens that go no where and waste a down. If I’m Gase, i’m believing in Darnold to go out there and sling it like he has the past 4-5 opening drives. This is the 28th ranked defense. They are sneaky good in situational football but they CAN be thrown on. The Bilal Powell sightings were refreshing as well. He moved the chains with a few nice runs and I feel like we shouldn’t get away from that. Hit them with a mixture of Bilal and Le’Veon. Hell, get creative, put Bilal in the backfield and L Bell in the slot..same formation. you want to see Oakland’s defense guessing more than not. Bilal can pass block too. This doesn’t take anything away from the backfield. We definitely should try to mix it up and play aggressive all the way through. GO JETS.

mid-week prediction...

Jets: 23

Raiders: 28

Hopefully I will be able to update this and add more to the thread as the weeks pass. We’ll see how my work schedule looks but I think this is a terrific idea to get this board back to talking schematics, in depth analysis, ect .. the stuff that makes this board golden compared to others.

Couple points you can throw out the defensive stats( secondary)  because it isn’t relevant .( the personnel has changed so much the last couple of weeks.  Rookie Trayvon Mullen will be making his 4 th straight start . ( Replacement for G Conley).Ncb  Lamarcus Joyner is out  with hamstring injury( against the Chargers)  . In is Nevin Lawson .     Raiders lost their starting Ss K Joseph.  In is Dj Swearinger( second start).  Rookie 4th  cb Isaiah Johnson who just came off IR with fracture face  sustained in the first preseason game .  Only played 7 snaps last week, but I would expect his snaps to increase a lot more. Rookie undrafted Fa  K Nixon  will see some time too. 

Gruden doesn’t have anything to do with the defense.  Paul Guenther Calls the defense , and  is a disciple of Mike Zimmer.  Will show double lb   blitzes up the A gap- that’s to give outside pass rushers one on one matchup.( usually they will drop back, but sometimes they do come)     Raiders have so many new faces on defense( Swearinger, Preston Brown, Isaiah Johnson, and T Mullen) .   That I really doubt if they blitz too much.( reason being communication could be a problem).

I expect The matchups to be D Worley on D Thomas - Worley Is  very good on short and intermediate passes . Struggles on deep ball.(Can’t stay with R Anderson) Nevin Lawson on Jamison Crowder ,  Trayvon Mullen on Robbie Anderson    Lb N Morrow on L Bell.  Swearinger or E Harris on Ryan Griffin.   If cb I Johnson plays I expect him to play off coverage.   ( bait Darnold as he can really break on the football) .

I hope the Raiders plan is to rotate only four De ( Crosby, Ferrell, Mayowa( sack leader) , and D Jordan. Not Five ( J Mauro-is one dimensional run stuffer I would deactivate)   .  They play five than most likely D Jordan will move inside on the passing downs.  ( I rather  have Pj Hall , and M Hurst as the Dt’s on the passing downs.

If I was Darnold i wouldn’t roll out too much with the Condor.  He’s going Right  after the QB.

The Jets are going to have to establish some kind of running game.   They don’t than Raiders front four pinning their ears back and coming after Darnold. 

Great post and some really good points. Karl Joesph is a good player, as is Lamarcus Joyner. Darnold will get picked off if he isn’t aware and careful. The deep over the middle plays have to be calculated shots. They have to be far and between. cannot become predictable. 

Neither player Lamarcus Joyner( pulled his hamstring) ,  or Karl Joseph( out for the season) are playing against the Jets .  L Joyner has been horrible as the NCb this year. ( probably goes back to Fs next year)  Nevin Lawson will be NCb .   And Dj Swearinger with be Ss for K Joseph.    

thats why the shallow concept and running the ball are key, they pull safeties and LB's towards the line of scrimmage which opens up the middle of the field deep.  

All shots in this offense need to be calculated.  The protection needs to be able to hold up and realistically there is only 1 or 2 options that can get deep.  Eventually it will be more prevalent in the offense but for now you have to pick and choose your spots (hence the reverse pass the other day)

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Couple points you can throw out the defensive stats( secondary)  because it isn’t relevant .( the personnel has changed so much the last couple of weeks.  Rookie Trayvon Mullen will be making his 4 th straight start . ( Replacement for G Conley).Ncb  Lamarcus Joyner is out  with hamstring injury( against the Chargers)  . In is Nevin Lawson .     Raiders lost their starting Ss K Joseph.  In is Dj Swearinger( second start).  Rookie 4th  cb Isaiah Johnson who just came off IR with fracture face  sustained in the first preseason game .  Only played 7 snaps last week, but I would expect his snaps to increase a lot more. Rookie undrafted Fa  K Nixon  will see some time too. 

Gruden doesn’t have anything to do with the defense.  Paul Guenther Calls the defense , and  is a disciple of Mike Zimmer.  Will show double lb   blitzes up the A gap- that’s to give outside pass rushers one on one matchup.( usually they will drop back, but sometimes they do come)     Raiders have so many new faces on defense( Swearinger, Preston Brown, Isaiah Johnson, and T Mullen) .   That I really doubt if they blitz too much.( reason being communication could be a problem).

I expect The matchups to be D Worley on D Thomas - Worley Is  very good on short and intermediate passes . Struggles on deep ball.(Can’t stay with R Anderson) Nevin Lawson on Jamison Crowder ,  Trayvon Mullen on Robbie Anderson    Lb N Morrow on L Bell.  Swearinger or E Harris on Ryan Griffin.   If cb I Johnson plays I expect him to play off coverage.   ( bait Darnold as he can really break on the football) .

I hope the Raiders plan is to rotate only four De ( Crosby, Ferrell, Mayowa( sack leader) , and D Jordan. Not Five ( J Mauro-is one dimensional run stuffer I would deactivate)   .  They play five than most likely D Jordan will move inside on the passing downs.  ( I rather  have Pj Hall , and M Hurst as the Dt’s on the passing downs.

If I was Darnold i wouldn’t roll out too much with the Condor.  He’s going Right  after the QB.

The Jets are going to have to establish some kind of running game.   They don’t than Raiders front four pinning their ears back and coming after Darnold. 

I appreciate the insight. Was hoping you would come in here and give us a little something more to think about. 

I think getting the running game established is the biggest thing for the Jets, as mentioned above. 

Bilal and Le’Veon need to both be on it. Have to give Sam better pockets and better opportunities.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I appreciate the insight. Was hoping you would come in here and give us a little something more to think about. 

I think getting the running game established is the biggest thing for the Jets, as mentioned above. 

Bilal and Le’Veon need to both be on it. Have to give Sam better pockets and better opportunities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Honestly not concerned with the outcome of this game from a win loss perspective.  I just want to see Darnold to continue putting that horrible 2 game stretch behind him and keep showing the ability to make plays in a variety of ways with the ultimate ask to eliminate the one bozo play he’s been good for just about every game. 

That said, the Jets can stop the run and make the Raiders one dimensional.  My biggest fear is Jacobs out of the backfield.  

No one has stopped Josh Jacobs , and the Raiders running game.( worse game he had averaged 4.3 yards per carry).   Josh Jacobs is great catching the ball out of the backfield, but they rarely use him because he’s playing with sore shoulder ( they count on him so much to run it) .  When you see backup Jalen Richard there is a good chance it’s a pass.( they will keep isolating him on your lb in the passing game. 

The Jets better double team Te Darren Waller.  ( like every team now does) .  They don’t it’s going to be Darren Waller show all day.  The  Raiders are excellent blitz pickup team . 1. Their offense line 2. Josh Jacobs , and Fb Alec Ingold do a great job picking up the blitzer. 3.  They play with a lot of two Te formations ( Both Waller , and Moreau are excellent blockers.( sometimes they play with three Te’s d Carrier h-back whose a good blocker ,  has wr skill , and possesses 4.5 speed.

Carr has one of the quickest releases . 

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Don't really agree with this. Forcing the run is not working for the Jets. We need to open up the run late but using tempo/no huddle and midrange to deep passes featuring Bell motioning to slot from 12 and 13 personnel.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

No one has stopped Josh Jacobs , and the Raiders running game.( worse game he had averaged 4.3 yards per carry).   Josh Jacobs is great catching the ball out of the backfield, but they rarely use him because he’s playing with sore shoulder ( they count on him so much to run it) .  When you see backup Jalen Richard there is a good chance it’s a pass.( they will keep isolating him on your lb in the passing game. 

The Jets better double team Te Darren Waller.  ( like every team now does) .  They don’t it’s going to be Darren Waller show all day.  The  Raiders are excellent blitz pickup team . 1. Their offense line 2. Josh Jacobs , and Fb Alec Ingold do a great job picking up the blitzer. 3.  They play with a lot of two Te formations ( Both Waller , and Moreau are excellent blockers.( sometimes they play with three Te’s d Carrier h-back whose a good blocker ,  has wr skill , and possesses 4.5 speed.

Carr has one of the quickest releases . 

So, Super Bowl?