Troy Aikman eyeing GM role

Jetsfan80

Please let a team I hate hire Aikman as their next GM.  Please.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086813/article/troy-aikman-admits-eyeing-gm-role-not-with-cowboys

Troy Aikman admits eyeing GM role; not with Cowboys

Print
  • 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Dec. 11, 2019 at 10:20 a.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 11, 2019 at 10:27 a.m.

Troy Aikman has had plenty to say about his former team's struggles this season.

The three-time Super Bowl champion quarterback has been rightfully critical of what he called "a really strange team to try to figure out," which he's attempted to do in a game on multiple occasions as part of his job as FOX's lead game color commentator. If he were ever to leave such a role for something more challenging, he could see his next destination existing somewhere within the NFL.

Just not in Dallas.

Aikman was asked by 1310 The Ticket hosts if he could envision himself taking a player personnel role in the Cowboys' front office and quickly shot down the idea, saying it's unlikely Cowboys owner Jerry Jones brings anyone in in such a capacity, citing Jones' being "real stubborn and steadfast in that he's the one in charge."

"I think in a lot of ways, until that changes, this team's going to have some problems," Aikman said.

Aikman isn't off base in mentioning Jones' steadfast nature about his role as owner of the Cowboys. On Tuesday, Jones took 105.3 The Fan hosts on a winding road of an explanation of how he's the one running the show (and responsible for the results that follow) in Dallas.

It's not surprising that Aikman would be wary of going to work for Jones again after spending his entire playing career in Dallas, which included three Lombardis, but also plenty of frustration at the end of his career, so much that it self-admittedly drove him to early retirement.

But what is interesting is Aikman's aspirations to do something more than watch from the broadcast booth.

"It's something that I guess I've always somewhat entertained," Aikman said. "I've had a chance to talk with [Broncos general manager] John Elway in previous years. I've visited with [49ers general manager] John Lynch, and the decision that he made to take on that job in San Francisco, and I've said many, many times, I still believe there's another frontier for me -- maybe there's not -- but I believe that there is, and I think that might very well be it. It's something that I think would be very challenging. I'd be giving up a lot to leave the job that I have to take on a role like that. It's an all-consuming job and I certainly recognize that, but I think the challenge would make it worthwhile.

"Now whether or not I'm ever afforded that opportunity, we'll see, but with each year that passes, the likelihood of it happening becomes less and less. I understand that more and more teams want to go young and kind of groom somebody that's gonna be there for the long haul, but relatively speaking, I've got a lot of great years left and I feel that having been in a championship locker room and knowing what that looks like, what that feels like, and then I guess my job now as a broadcaster, I've been in those organizations."

That sounds a lot like a sales pitch to a team in need of a general manager. Lynch and Elway have produced mixed results, with Elway riding Peyton Manning to a Super Bowl title but struggling mightily in player evaluation and selection, and Lynch utilizing a longer road to build a team that appears to be a legitimate contender for the first time since Jim Harbaugh was patrolling its sideline. There's no guarantee Aikman would make a good GM.

It's intriguing that he'd want to move beyond his excellent gig working alongside Joe Buck in a tandem that has improved over the years as FOX's go-to crew. There's always a lingering bit of an athlete's ego that both drives them to on-field success and directs them to off-field challenges, to mixed results.

It's all speculative, of course, but before we go, there was one more interesting bit from Aikman's interview related to the Cowboys that might speak volumes to some. When asked if he'd still do a weekly radio show as hypothetical Cowboys GM, Aikman firmly said no, explaining he believes only one person should have such a platform: the head coach.

"Ultimately, we all understand that the owner, whether it's here in Dallas or any other franchise, the owner ultimately makes the decisions," Aikman explained. "Ultimately, he's the one who signs off. You can always say 'well, as the owner I can do this, I can do that,' there's no question that that's true, but I think there has to be one voice and one person that the players answer to."

Though the decision won't involve Aikman, we'll see if that person is still in Dallas come January.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If his GM skills are anything like his awful commentating abilities, he'd make a disastrous GM.  

I dont think I've ever noticed one way or the other...

I'd love to see some data on former player GM's vs. Operational GM's and how that's played out in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont think I've ever noticed one way or the other...

I'd love to see some data on former player GM's vs. Operational GM's and how that's played out in the NFL. 

John Lynch and Ozzie Newsome have fared well of course.  Might be worthwhile to look into it.  Maybe later.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

John Lynch and Ozzie Newsome have fared well of course.  Might be worthwhile to look into it.  Maybe later.

Elway has a Super Bowl.  I'm not asking for reason to replace Douglas more so just curious.  Seems like there is success going that route and with this being a copycat league, I'm surprised it's not a trend. 

Ozzie Newsome is the gold standard on players turned GM.  John Lynch looks to be doing very well....but it's early.  Elway has floundered a bit trying to get his QB position right (Osweiler, Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Flacco, etc.) and there are some signs he may finally be turning a corner.  Elway also stood out in his HC hiring process as a guy who bucked the trend of young, hotshot offensive guys to got with Vic Fangio.

Bottom line - I'm not sure if being a former player is an indicator either one way or the other regarding GM success.  I think the individual has to prove he has the management skills and intellect to do the job.  Not every great player can coach or manage (ex. Wayne Gretzky, Mike Singletary, etc.)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Ozzie Newsome is the gold standard on players turned GM.  John Lynch looks to be doing very well....but it's early.  Elway has floundered a bit trying to get his QB position right (Osweiler, Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Flacco, etc.) and there are some signs he may finally be turning a corner.  Elway also stood out in his HC hiring process as a guy who bucked the trend of young, hotshot offensive guys to got with Vic Fangio.

Bottom line - I'm not sure if being a former player is an indicator either one way or the other regarding GM success.  I think the individual has to prove he has the management skills and intellect to do the job.  Not every great player can coach or manage (ex. Wayne Gretzky, Mike Singletary, etc.)

Small sample size but 2 of the 3 have Lombardi trophies and the other has a legit shot at one if not this year, the next few years.

I think it's interesting as it doesnt seem as common in the NFL vs. the other major sports. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the 90's were kind of a blur for everyone involved but I remember Aikman had like a thousand concussions in his career, college and pros

to use a phrase from my grandfather's generation, the dude is punch drunk 

Yeah, I witnessed that first hand. Aikman would make a great GM though.

Normally a person would scoff at this but Lynch has had success.

The thing is you do not have to be some long time in the league guy to be a good gm.

Literally 90 out of 100 people randomly chosen on here would have been better than mccagnan and I'd guess that a good dozen people from on here would be good gms.