Jets Jamal Adams is only NY player headed to Pro Bowl

joewilly12

Jets’ Jamal Adams is only New York player headed to Pro Bowl

December 17, 2019 | 8:15pm | Updated 

After failing to make the Pro Bowl as a rookie, Jets safety Jamal Adams vowed it would never happen again. He is 2-for-2 on his promise.

Adams was selected to the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive year, capping a strong individual season for the third-year pro.

The 24-year-old had 64 tackles, eight for a loss, 6.5 sacks, 12 quarterback hits, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, six passes defensed and one interception, which he returned for a touchdown. All of those stats are in 12 games. He has missed the Jets’ last two games with a sprained left ankle.

The honor comes after a sometimes tumultuous season for Adams. The Jets considered trading him at the deadline in October. They got deep into discussions with his hometown Cowboys, but decided to keep him. Adams accused general manager Joe Douglas of lying and blasted him on Twitter. Adams would not speak to Douglas or Jets coach Adam Gase for a few days after the deadline. Things have calmed down since then.

Adams is only scheduled to make $3.5 million in 2020, setting up a potential showdown with the Jets this offseason. Adams has two more years left on his contract, but surely will be looking for a raise. The Jets could revisit trading Adams if they do not want to give him a big contract.

It comes as no great surprise, given the season they are having, the Giants did not have any player selected for the NFC Pro Bowl roster.

The closest they got was punter Riley Dixon, who is a second alternate. Running back Saquon Barkley, a Pro Bowler as a rookie, is a fourth alternate.

— Additional reporting by Paul Schwartz

Congrats #33!!  Definitely well-deserved.

Now on to the big question.. should he stay or should he go?

To be quite honest I've been on the fence about this for weeks and I think I have finally found my deal breaker.

I have not been shy in expressing my distain for the common and current NFL me guy player. The whole flashy persona concerned about his brand thing really f****** annoys me. It's just the polar opposite of the meaning of TEAM.

That being said I give props to Jamal Adams.. his play on the field has been outstanding and despite his not being a premium position he has been a Difference Maker.

But is Jamal a team guy? He seemed to turn the corner after throwing a tantrum at the trade deadline. He preached how he told ownership that he wants to be a New York Jet for life. He wants to win championships here and he's a leader in the locker room. We all remember this correct? 

Okay then so here it is. Adams should take a HomeTown discount! A nice smooth transition. A simple contract extension that makes him a New York Jet for life at a non premium position.

If I so much as hear the words "hold out" and or " highest paid player" then the last I want to see of Jamal Adams is a footprint on his ass as he is locked out of the building with no Playbook, no good-byes, and no press conference and booted to the Dallas Cowboys. Plain and simple I'll take the picks. No Revis situation.  It's put up or shut up.

You're a team guy and a leader ..or you're a me guy. You can't be a leader of me guys.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I feel like i'm one of the only people here who doesn't not want to trade Adams. At all. 

And y'all know how much of a draft slut I am, so that's telling you something if even I'm passing on that. 

Don’t not want. Too many negatives. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

It is a test. If he lets adams get away he’s a moron 

Paying a safety that does not create turnovers whose game can be stifled very quikcly if the team does something like get a pass rusher.  Who has exhibited suspect team behaviour.  Is a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Paying a safety that does not create turnovers whose game can be stifled very quikcly if the team does something like get a pass rusher.  Who has exhibited suspect team behaviour.  Is a bad idea.

Umm what bad behavior again? Did he assault someone off the field I’m not aware of? Did he catch a dui? Did he take part in peds? No he did none of that. He did the sin of talking a little that sets off boomers like it’s a crime. Personally i love it. And he leads the league in sacks for a db ya homer and is all over the field. I’m not trading that away for some mid to late first rounder that stats tell me has a 50 50 shot of being a bust 

• Upvote 1

This should shut the guys up that continuously bash this kid ... But it wont ... Prepare for ... The prowl bowl is a popularity contest ... You dont pay a safety comments ... Incoming.

This guy's is our only beast .. sign him for the next 20 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm glad no safety on the NYJ matches this description

• Upvote 1

Rampant self promotion helps you make the pro bowl.  The more you jump around and flail your arms and the more you are all over social media the bigger national rep you get.

I threw out the classic example earlier this year from the Dallas game.  Quinnen Williams makes the big play and Adams comes in and cleans up but then runs down the filed flailing his arms.  The commentators heap praise on Adams for making the play.

There are also the negative aspect to how we use the player.  How many times have we seen a guy like Hewitt trying to cover some Wr or slot guy down the filed thus year?  Know why?  Our safety is going forward on almost every play.

An example of negative aspect was the washington game where adams got huge press for making some big plays.  No one talked about him getting burnt for a 67 year pass that was called back due to a penalty or him  being involved in a couple of washington big plays.

- The guy makes plays at the los scrimmage or the other teams backfield.

- The guy is a liability on some plays because of his style.

- The guy has a bit of an attitude which is imo only going to get worse when the $$$ become a factor within a year or so.

- He is at his peak value right now, you either move him and address a couple of important tholes on the team or you suffer through a hold out with all sorts of drama before paying him a gazillion dollars only to have buyers regret a year or so down the road. 

• Upvote 3

Rampant self promotion helps you make the pro bowl.  The more you jump around and flail your arms and the more you are all over social media the bigger national rep you get.

I threw out the classic example earlier this year from the Dallas game.  Quinnen Williams makes the big play and Adams comes in and cleans up but then runs down the filed flailing his arms.  The commentators heap praise on Adams for making the play.

There are also the negative aspect to how we use the player.  How many times have we seen a guy like Hewitt trying to cover some Wr or slot guy down the filed thus year?  Know why?  Our safety is going forward on almost every play.

An example of negative aspect was the washington game where adams got huge press for making some big plays.  No one talked about him getting burnt for a 67 year pass that was called back due to a penalty or him  being involved in a couple of washington big plays.

- The guy makes plays at the los scrimmage or the other teams backfield.

- The guy is a liability on some plays because of his style.

- The guy has a bit of an attitude which is imo only going to get worse when the $$$ become a factor within a year or so.

- He is at his peak value right now, you either move him and address a couple of important tholes on the team or you suffer through a hold out with all sorts of drama before paying him a gazillion dollars only to have buyers regret a year or so down the road. 

I actually agree with the base argument ...you trade him for a Kings ransom ... That being a 1,2,2,3 deal or sign him long term.

Im on the side of signing him forever.... Dude never takes a play off ... Ever.

only in jet land do fans want to constantly trade or get rid of our best players -fans assume some how we can parlay the draft picks into better players-this usually fails and the roster ends up being less talented than the year before. We barely ever hit on any draft picks but when we do fans want to get rid of that guy.  Our team has 3 quality players-sam bell and adams-many here want two of them gone. 

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

only in jet land do fans want to constantly trade or get rid of our best players -fans assume some how we can parlay the draft picks into better players-this usually fails and the roster ends up being less talented than the year before. We barely ever hit on any draft picks but when we do fans want to get rid of that guy.  Our team has 3 quality players-sam bell and adams-many here want two of them gone. 

If I can choose between paying Jamal Adams $16 million a year for the foreseeable future or trade him, gather valuable draft assets and get a big jump on rebuilding the OL and WR corps...then I’m rolling with Option B every day of the week.

Khalil Mack was hands down Oakland’s best player and he played one of the 3 most valuable positions in the sport to boot. You think the Raiders regret that trade right now? Not a damn chance. And everyone initially trashed them when they made the deal.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Nobody will give two sh*ts about Jamal if that pick turns into the next Nick Mangold.

Abraham hurt my soul at the time but the pick we got turned into Nick. Who will easily go in our ring of honor one day. 

Yep.  The Abraham trade was smart.  What was dumb was not finding a good EDGE rusher for this team since he left.

I can't even blame Tannenbaum/Mangini that much for the Gholston pick.  That was the last time we made a concerted effort to bring in a quality pass rusher.  Our GM's since then have all shied away from that and its played out poorly on the field.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

I feel like i'm one of the only people here who doesn't not want to trade Adams. At all. 

And y'all know how much of a draft slut I am, so that's telling you something if even I'm passing on that. 

Have you been reading this board at all since the trade deadline?  You're probably in the majority.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sciond said:

I would keep at market value. When is the last time we had a true homegrown star at any position?

Market value for the top Safety will be $14M+ per season.  Quite a lot of coin for a guy that hasn't made a significant impact on the W-L column over 3 seasons, wouldn't you say?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Market value for the top Safety will be $14M+ per season.  Quite a lot of coin for a guy that hasn't made a significant impact on the W-L column over 3 seasons, wouldn't you say?

So its Jamal Adams fault we stink and have done poorly in the W-L column the last 3 years............

The draft picks are "what-if" players and the way we draft. 

Image result for popcorn gifs

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If I can choose between paying Jamal Adams $16 million a year for the foreseeable future or trade him, gather valuable draft assets and get a big jump on rebuilding the OL and WR corps...then I’m rolling with Option B every day of the week.

Khalil Mack was hands down Oakland’s best player and he played one of the 3 most valuable positions in the sport to boot. You think the Raiders regret that trade right now? Not a damn chance. And everyone initially trashed them when they made the deal.

u cant rebuild if you get rid of your best player over and over again and then replace him with worse talent which is the jets MO

I think the Raiders would have been a better team with Mack and Cooper than they are without him. If  I was a Raiders fan I would have rather watched Mack and Cooper on my team instead of hoping the  future works out which never does for them or the jets

• Upvote 1

Just now, kmnj said:

u cant rebuild if you get rid of your best player over and over again and then replace him with worse talent which is the jets MO

I think the Raiders would have been a better team with Mack and Cooper than they are without him. If  I was a Raiders fan I would have rather watched Mack and Cooper on my team instead of hoping the  future works out which never does for them or the jets

Exactly 

Many of our #1 picks were JAG's and instead of helping this team win they are not in the NFL only 1 remains Sheldon Richardson that tells you something about how we draft. 

You do not trade a proven NFL All-Pro player especially when you are the NY Jets. 

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

How often have we done this?  The last time we traded away our best player it was Revis, and we ended up taking Sheldon Richardson with that pick.  

Sure, Revis won a SB with the Pats, but its not like we traded him directly to New England.  He had a bad, injury-plagued season with the Bucs before going to the Cheaters.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How often have we done this?  The last time we traded away our best player it was Revis, and we ended up taking Sheldon Richardson with that pick.  

Sure, Revis won a SB with the Pats, but its not like we traded him directly to New England.  He had a bad, injury-plagued season with the Bucs before going to the Cheaters.

Rinse wash repeat. 

50 years and counting. 

Just now, kmnj said:

Outside of one fluke year, the Raiders were sucking ass routinely with Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper on the squad.

The Jets have never won more than 5 games with Jamal Adams on their roster.

Adams is a very good player who fancies himself a phenom and happens to play one of the least valuable positions in the sport. The Jets under Rex were fielding top defenses with a $2 million a year JAG like Jimmy Leonhard playing Adams’ position.

Bolstering the OL and WR corps to support our young franchise QB >>> Paying shutdown CB money to a safety who spends most of his time at the line of scrimmage 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly 

Many of our #1 picks were JAG's and instead of helping this team win they are not in the NFL only 1 remains Sheldon Richardson that tells you something about how we draft. 

You do not trade a proven NFL All-Pro player especially when you are the NY Jets. 

i am torn b/c of this reality.  yet if the jets keep adams they are going to have to pay him a LOT of money.  show me a playoff team where the safety makes more than any other position.  

one of the key things that douglas has to institute here, is positional value.  maccagnan was awful at this, never understood this.  anyone who drafts two safeties at the top of the 1st and 2nd rounds when your offense sucks doesn't get this.  will douglas pay adams, i don't know.  this is undoubtedly the biggest question of the offseason.  yes, i expect douglas to focus on the OL and offensive skill positions.  but if he trades adams he'll have an extra 1st rounder and a lot more cap space - does he spend on FA pass rushers, or adams?   tbd

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i am torn b/c of this reality.  yet if the jets keep adams they are going to have to pay him a LOT of money.  show me a playoff team where the safety makes more than any other position.  

one of the key things that douglas has to institute here, is positional value.  maccagnan was awful at this, never understood this.  anyone who drafts two safeties at the top of the 1st and 2nd rounds when your offense sucks doesn't get this.  will douglas pay adams, i don't know.  this is undoubtedly the biggest question of the offseason.  yes, i expect douglas to focus on the OL and offensive skill positions.  but if he trades adams he'll have an extra 1st rounder and a lot more cap space - does he spend on FA pass rushers, or adams?   tbd

Jamal Adams isn't just a Safety he's a hybrid defensive players for the NY Jets you do not trade your best defensive player regardless of the situation, you build a winning successful team around players like him. 

Be careful what you wish for we may trade him and draft yet another first round bust, need I say more only the faces change. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Jamal Adams isn't just a Safety he's a hybrid defensive players for the NY Jets you do not trade your best defensive player regardless of the situation, you build a winning successful team around players like him. 

Be careful what you wish for we may trade him and draft yet another first round bust, need I say more only the faces change. 

if you could trade adams for a starting tackle, you do it.  plus you don't tie up 1/6th of your cap space on a safety who does not get interceptions and disappears in some games.  again, positional value.  there is something to this.  qb/lt/stud wr/pass rushers/stud cbs.  these guys make the money.  mccagnan drafted run stuffing DLs, box safeties and paid money to inside lbs and plodding rbs.  there are formulas that the good teams use to allocate money and the jets under idzik and mccagnan failed miserably.  again, whether adams stays a jet is the biggest decision of the offseason, b/c i am assuming that anderson stays.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So its Jamal Adams fault we stink and have done poorly in the W-L column the last 3 years............

The draft picks are "what-if" players and the way we draft. 

Image result for popcorn gifs

So Jamal gets ALL of the credit for being a dominant pro bowler but none of the blame for a stinko team?

His position does not move the needle.  Know what does?

A New Orleans Saints 2017 draft.

Marshon Lattimore - #1 CB

Ryan Ramcyzk - Solid olineman

Alvin Kamara - RB weapon

They then used mid to lower picks to get dlinem ilb and safeties that are contributing.

That moves the needle.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Know why he is such a hybrid?  Because we have no pass rushers at all.

Know why Hewitt is constantly covering WRs and slot guys and getting burned?  Because we are selling out with a hybrid.

The real good defenses in this league have multiple pass rushers and do not blitz their safey all the time.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  The Abraham trade was smart.  What was dumb was not finding a good EDGE rusher for this team since he left.

I can't even blame Tannenbaum/Mangini that much for the Gholston pick.  That was the last time we made a concerted effort to bring in a quality pass rusher.  Our GM's since then have all shied away from that and its played out poorly on the field.  

I don't know (and I wasn't against the move when it was made, but in large part that's because he was unreliable from a health standpoint). Then it looked like the move was vindicated when Abraham missed half the season that first year in Atlanta to boot. With all the missed games in his first half dozen seasons, who could have known he'd be one of those to then become a reliable every-game starter and still become a deserved pro bowler through his age 35 season? Oh well. 

Was it smart? Mangold was a great player for years, but we didn't win anything. Plus if Abraham was still there, there's a good chance the team doesn't sniff at the idea of drafting Gholston with a #6 overall pick (if we would have even picked that high). Center isn't unimportant, as we saw this season, but there's a reason you never see one taken in the top 10 and why the position's most elite is by far the lowest-paid along the OL. You can't have a disaster at the position (e.g. Kalil, and Long and WJohnson before him) but the truth is a team doesn't need to burn a 1st rounder on one either.

Abraham and Mangold were both special players, but only one was a special player at a special position. Edge rushers are where you see teams burning top draft picks all the time for a lottery pick shot at an Abraham-type career. Meanwhile (as far as I can tell) there's never been a center taken in the top half of round 1 in any draft in history. Not one. I have to think 100% unanimity for half a century is too much of a pattern to blame on shortsightedness by FOs populated only with meatheads who don't get it.

As far as the money, sadly they pissed it away anyway. After trading Abraham they extended Thomas after a single 8.5-sack season, which was initially a monstrous flop of a move and even further pushed the team towards the Gholston draft pick, plus making UFA Pace then the highest-paid LB in NFL history despite having nowhere near Abraham's 2000-2005 body of work to justify it. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

I dont either. I honestly understand where people are coming from though... Not a premium position, not a great cover guy, hasnt made a lot of interceptions, but I really feel the sky is the limit on the things you can do with him.  It allows the defense to get way more creative, especially in nickle and dime sets.  I think he's a player that fits really well in modern schemes against the spread style offenses we're seeing. 

the money will be rough, especially for a safety, but id like to see him re signed and work around it. Just my personal opinion. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont either. I honestly understand where people are coming from though... Not a premium position, not a great cover guy, hasnt made a lot of interceptions, but I really feel the sky is the limit on the things you can do with him.  It allows the defense to get way more creative, especially in nickle and dime sets.  I think he's a player that fits really well in modern schemes against the spread style offenses we're seeing. 

the money will be rough, especially for a safety, but id like to see him re signed and work around it. Just my personal opinion. 

the problem with adams is that he is very average in coverage.  when he's not blitzing his impact is average.  elite safeties have very good cover skills and are often longer, better athletes.  adams seems like a maxed out ath whose impact will be negated over time.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem with adams is that he is very average in coverage.  when he's not blitzing his impact is average.  elite safeties have very good cover skills and are often longer, better athletes.  adams seems like a maxed out ath whose impact will be negated over time.

How are Marcus Maye's cover skills in your opinion.