The problem with Gase - concerning L Bell

Basically Bell was asked to abandon his running style and play differently for the Jets. The rationalization by Gase was that the OL was not that good so Bell would have to adapt. Think about that, not the OL should change or blocking should be changed, not add help so bell can work, - no we are going to continue to block poorly and Bell just needs to adjust. Why not just adjust your play calling and blocking scheme to fit your talent? 

Bell is one of best back to play the game, and our team decided they wanted him to do something else. If that doesn't just represent Gase in a nut shell I don't know what does.  There was no need to change bell this season other than Gase decided arbitrarily to. Obviously a poor move.

Against the bills Bell had 5 touches in the second half - 5. I know no new ground to cover here, but how does a coach on any level of the game do this, what is the thought process here to gimp your own team. And he did this with other positions and players all season. Sam is great at rolling out, we say that this season like 4 times because sam just running for his life. 

We deserved worse that 32nd ranked offense honestly, considering how most of the time it was was not due to being beat by a defense, we were beat by our play calling and refusal to use what we have. Every other team in the league used the talent they had and tried to put their teams in a position to win, well other than Miami for a few games, but their coaches told the Front office to suck it and went out there and coached up some wins anyway - sadly against us. 

I will say this, as optimistic as I am about bettering our roster with Joe D, does it even matter when Gase refuses to use his talent? Remember when Bell was out then Powell got all those touches? Gase literally did that to spite Bell. There is not other reason for it. But I guess he is rich so whatever...

*** one follow up note - this really is me venting I know many have posted and articulated this point much better than I, but I just ******* hate this crap..

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The problems with Bell isn't Gase -  He's not misusing Bell, he's not not using him out of spite.

Bottom line - Bell is very, very slow right now and has clearly lost any burst.  He's simply too slow to be an effective NFL RB.

Bell is and has always been a big back. I never though he was particularly fast. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The problems with Bell isn't Gase -  He's not misusing Bell, he's not not using him out of spite.

Bottom line - Bell is very, very slow right now and has clearly lost any burst.  He's simply too slow to be an effective NFL RB.

well this is false. I mean in his very limited amount of touches you saw great burst and speed. This is simply not accurate.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Basically Bell was asked to abandon his running style and play differently for the Jets. The rationalization by Gase was that the OL was not that good so Bell would have to adapt. Think about that, not the OL should change or blocking should be changed, not add help so bell can work, - no we are going to continue to block poorly and Bell just needs to adjust. Why not just adjust your play calling and blocking scheme to fit your talent? 

You want to change what 5 guys do instead of what 1 guy does?

They did adjust the play calling to fit the talent....the talent (or lack thereof) of the offensive line.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Yards before contact

ENiw83TWsAAHbfN?format=png&name=900x900

BAM!

That says it all right there.  Another title for this table would be, "A Ranking of Players Who Received the Best Offensive Line Blocking and Run Scheming"

One other thought....look at Kenyon Drake ranked so high.  I can tell you why as I watched most of the Arizona Cardinals games and their OLine really isn't that good.  The RPO with the threat of Kyler Murray running opened up running lanes very early for Drake.  It's why the Ravens also have TWO players in the Top 10.

Thanks @Sarge4Tide.  This is honestly one of the most informative tables I've seen in a while.  When you see teams that have two RBs both ranked high it tells you all you need to know....it wasn't the running back, it was the scheme and OLine blocking.

Also, how much appreciation do you have for Derrick Henry and what he's doing when you see that he was getting first contact fairly early on carries but he's exploded for big yards.

Lots to talk about in this thread I think.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

BAM!

That says it all right there.  Another title for this table would be, "A Ranking of Players Who Received the Best Offensive Line Blocking and Run Scheming"

One other thought....look at Kenyon Drake ranked so high.  I can tell you why as I watched most of the Arizona Cardinals games and their OLine really isn't that good.  The RPO with the threat of Kyler Murray running opened up running lanes very early for Drake.  It's why the Ravens also have TWO players in the Top 10.

Thanks @Sarge4Tide.  This is honestly one of the most informative tables I've seen in a while.  When you see teams that have two RBs both ranked high it tells you all you need to know....it wasn't the running back, it was the scheme and OLine blocking.

Also, how much appreciation do you have for Derrick Henry and what he's doing when you see that he was getting first contact fairly early on carries but he's exploded for big yards.

To be clear, I did not make this table, someone tweeted it out on Twitter the other day

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Yards before contactENiw83TWsAAHbfN?format=png&name=900x900

If JD can fix the OL, Bell is going to make a lot of people who clearly never watched him play in Pittsburg look even more foolish than they already do.

If Gase pulls his head out of his ass...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

BAM!

well they are both good back too, but yeah makes you wonder just how much is scheme...haha no, of course it is blocking and scheme. moster was just some qb that said sure ill be a rb if you want...

Our number is so low because gase put them in awesome system that didnt fite the limited talent they had., it was just a season ago they were much better.

Our team upgraded roster from last year but had muhc worse year. that is on gase and his stupid coaching.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

If JD can fix the OL, Bell is going to make a lot of people who clearly never watched him play in Pittsburg look even more foolish than they already do.

If Gase pulls his head out of his ass...

IMO it’s unlikely Bell is even on the team next year - he really is too slow to carry on the roster.  It’s likely a 4th round rookie will perform better.

I know that sounds harsh but it’s a reality.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

IMO it’s unlikely Bell is even on the team next year - he really is too slow to carry on the roster.  It’s likely a 4th round rookie will perform better.

Agree to disagree.  Same dude in Pittsburg.  He was never a speedster and he ain’t going anywhere.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know who you are but I know you clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Bell and the Jets rushing game this year,  

I also don't know what reality you live in but Bell isn't slow and the fact the Jets OL didn't open up one decent hole for him all year is the reality that happened this year.   

Now with that said I don't necessarily disagree with finding a rb in the drafts 3rd or 4th round can perform on a high level.  But the reality is Bells contract is gonna make it hard to move him.  Teams will want Bell but won't be able to afford him.

• Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agree to disagree.  Same dude in Pittsburg.  He was never a speedster and he ain’t going anywhere.

I don't know how they'd even get rid of Bell if they wanted to.  Doubtful anyone would take him with $13M guaranteed next year and the Jets won't cut him.  I'd try to draft a guy with our 4th or 5th pick and put him behind Le'Veon.  Hopefully an upgraded OLine and some better WRs translate to better opportunities for him.  He may not be a Top 5 or 10 back anymore but he's still better than most RBs in the NFL talent-wise. Ride him for another year or so until we have his replacement.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

My biggest issues with Gase regarding bell was the lack of creativity trying to get him in the ball in open space. It felt like every single run was between the tackles almost all season. It’s criminal that with our lack of reliable pass catchers we didn’t feature him more as a receiver or utilize that fact that we had him and montgomery as running backs with good hands. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Like to see what Powell’s was

because he didn’t seem to have the same problem

slow hitting the hole will also lower this number

3 of the bottom 4 are slow, aging backs 

edit- didn’t see Peterson too, 4 of the bottom 6

powell averaged a whole 3.9 ypc on 59 attempts. his career average is 4.3 and he made 4.3 in 2018.  imo that pretty much speaks to the oline being the problem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lounap23 said:

I don't know who you are but I know you clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Bell and the Jets rushing game this year,  

I also don't know what reality you live in but Bell isn't slow and the fact the Jets OL didn't open up one decent hole for him all year is the reality that happened this year.   

Now with that said I don't necessarily disagree with finding a rb in the drafts 3rd or 4th round can perform on a high level.  But the reality is Bells contract is gonna make it hard to move him.  Teams will want Bell but won't be able to afford him.

Is there a need for the nastiness?

I watched a guy that even when he was open couldn’t outrun LBers. 
it was clear to me Powell was the better back. 

no ones arguing the line wasn’t bad but I just don’t know how anyone could have watched Bell and didn’t see a guy who was done. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is there a need for the nastiness?

I watched a guy that even when he was open couldn’t outrun LBers. 
it was clear to me Powell was the better back. 

no ones arguing the line wasn’t bad but I just don’t know how anyone could have watched Bell and didn’t see a guy who was done. 

He was never open to outrun LB'ers.  The guy was constantly running in a phone booth. I am not being nasty.  I just don't have no clue what games you were watching to say Bell wasn't our running LB'ers.   I man like I have argued in many many other threads.  Bells style combined with this line was a nightmare.  He patiently waits for a hole to open that never happens and when he finally decides to get positive yardage it's shocking he was able to do so.   Never once have I seen Bell in a foot race where he was out run and rundown by anyone this year.  For 2 reasons

1. He''s never been in open space to be running free

2. Anytime he's been tackled from behind was becasue he has defenders in front of him from him getting to his top speed and he's looking to make a move on them.

But please show me the highlights of him being out run by LB'ers and I'll gladly eat crow.

and to be clear being outrun by a LB'er means Bell is running full speed and getting caught from behind.  Please show me all the highlights of that and I'll concede you clearly know what your are talking about and apologize for my comments. Till then I'll stick with my original statement to you. 

52 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

My biggest issues with Gase regarding bell was the lack of creativity trying to get him in the ball in open space. It felt like every single run was between the tackles almost all season. It’s criminal that with our lack of reliable pass catchers we didn’t feature him more as a receiver or utilize that fact that we had him and montgomery as running backs with good hands. 

Agreed and if there is any merit to this, Bell needs to adjust gossip, than it’s as damning as Gase’s overall abysmal offensive track record and all the dudes having career years away from Gase. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agreed and if there is any merit to this, Bell needs to adjust gossip, than it’s as damning as Gase’s overall abysmal offensive track record and all the dudes having career years away from Gase. 

I think the argument that is damning for Gase is the OL's he had in Miami and obviously this year were terrible.   At some point as the HC he needs to make sure through draft, FA, coaching, scheme whatever it is he improves the OL. NO OL equals SH*&^Y Offense. Gase didn't do it in Miami.  He better do it here. 

The track record of our OL coach has been good.   In the 4 years prior to being hired by Gase his OL's have been ranked no lower than 13th in the league.