New CBA Details begin to leak.

Mogglez

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ah I see. Yea I like the idea of 7 teams in each conference, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Really really like the idea of only 1 team getting a bye. Now if only they’ll add playoff reseeding!

They already re-seed as the playoffs go on.  What they need to do is this:  All division winners make the playoffs, but not all should get a home game.  Division winners get in, but the seeding in each conference is based on overall record.  So even if you don't win your division, you can still get a top-4 seed.  

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was talking about Nico's suggestion of 16 playoff teams.

18 games PLUS 16 playoff teams would make the regular season not only long but meaningless.

I meant 14 playoff teams- only 1 seed gets bye 

I agree division winners should get in but not a home game

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And for pete's sake, no more 4-day rest games.  No team should ever have to play on a Sunday followed by a Thursday night game.  Give a team a bye prior to a TNF contest, if they're so insistant on those games existing.  

We need Thursday night games. If for no other reason than my entertainment. I'd be okay with your "bye" thing, as long as it doesn't affect my viewing pleasure.

I'll give you that, if you just promise to get off this "we don't need Thursday night games, player safety comes first" thing I think you're warming up to. I'll even make believe I'm as concerned with their safety as my being entertained if you will just do that...

33 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'd kind of like the idea of them making it a "rivalry game" where we play the Giants every year.

Just like how MLB has my loveable, gritty, gutty Mets play your completely unlikeable Yankees each season. We wouldn't even need to travel on the alternating years like other teams...

Too few other-conference rivalry games in the NFL.  We should work that up and see, I don't think it would work.  (EDIT:  Just tried it, I only came up with 6)

Your Mets aren't loveable, gritty, or gutty.  That's why they're not the Yankees, the very definition of those terms last season with all the injuries and all the backups playing so marvelously.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

I'm three bourbons in and have figured out the meaning of football life:

-Eliminate divisions

-Everyone plays everyone in the AFC/NFC (Home/away alternate year to year, figure out a way to balance travel schedules.  I'm sure it's possible)

-Two rotating inter-conference game a year at neutral/out of country stadiums to grow the game.  Bye week for both teams after.

-Drop Thursday Night Football

-#1 seed gets a first round bye

-2 thru 7 = THUNDERDOME 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We need Thursday night games. If for no other reason than my entertainment. I'd be okay with your "bye" thing, as long as it doesn't affect my viewing pleasure.

I'll give you that, if you just promise to get off this "we don't need Thursday night games, player safety comes first" thing I think you're warming up to. I'll even make believe I'm as concerned with their safety as my being entertained if you will just do that...

Star players getting injured playing on 3 days rest on a Thursday doesn't effect your entertainment? Think big picture, Thursday games are an awful idea and an awful product on the field.

14 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Star players getting injured playing on 3 days rest on a Thursday doesn't effect your entertainment? Think big picture, Thursday games are an awful idea and an awful product on the field.

Big picture? They're better then watching Survivor or Big Brother.

Look, I get what you're saying, and some of my comment was tongue in cheek, but I really do like TNF.

...and players get hurt just as often on Sunday, btw.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, I get what you're saying, and some of my comment was tongue in cheek, but I really do like TNF.

You don't feel like the games are sloppy and poorly played?

Something is just off about every Thursday game. 

26 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

They make money on a dead TV night, so unless you can find another day of the week to move that massive Thursday night package it's not going anywhere.

Friday and Saturday would be good, but can't interfere/compete with college.  Monday is taken, Tuesday and Wednesday don't allow for recovery time, so Thursday it is.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You don't feel like the games are sloppy and poorly played?

Something is just off about every Thursday game. 

Look, until like maybe a year ago TNF got nowhere near the matchups SNF or even MNF got. It was so bad, they addressed it. Then add in poor production by the network, and the fact that the team of Tessitore and Booger would make a Jets-Giants Super Bowl hard to watch. I can see why these games got a bad rap, or seem "off".

But lets be honest. Have the two NY teams we've had to watch screw up every Sunday afternoon the last few years been much better? The NFL play as a whole the last couple of years hasn't been very good, but it's still better then anything else. So I'll stick to wanting my "meh" TNF, thank you very much.

Hell, I'd like it if they played on Friday night also.

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Football will eventually go right up until Pitchers & Catchers report for Spring Training.  We'll see football in March at some point.

All these leaks are pro-Ownership and pro-Revenue at this point.  I'm just waiting to see what the players are getting for agreeing to play more games.  My guesses....

1. More revenue share

2. Less training camp and practice time

3. Relaxed recreational drug testing

4. Changes in how discipline is determined.

Welll according to the post above by Barry, $5,000,000,000 will be shifting to the players.

1 hour ago, MindOverMatter said:

Big picture is the Thursday night games make big money for the networks whether you like the games or not

And the players get 10 days rest after Thursday night games

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

This is probably a bigger deal than it seems

Finally.  Just keep the penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol or THC.  Side benefit is that the THC will probably help many players deal with pain and injuries.  I'd suggest they refrain from smoking and instead use edibles or straight cannabis oil.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Dribbling is now considered old fogey stuff

And if your name is Harden you get to shoot 55 free throws per game

My son laughs at me when I go on my inevitable diatribe about no one "boxing out" any more.  And just once, I'd love to see any one of the modern guys come down the lane against players like Oak, Mase or Laimbeer.  Oh wait, they're all out taking threes anyway.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

My son laughs at me when I go on my inevitable diatribe about no one "boxing out" any more.  And just once, I'd love to see any one of the modern guys come down the lane against players like Oak, Mase or Laimbeer.  Oh wait, they're all out taking threes anyway.

It's not only the NBA though.

Remember the Big East during that Mullin, Ewing, Pinkney, Mourning era? St. John's was a power, Nova, Pitt, Syracuse and the Hoyas... the Big East Tournament was as good as it got. I was there the night Thompson came out with a tee shirt copy of Louie's lucky sweater under his jacket. The Garden was literally shaking that night.

I also remember hopping on the train and going to the Holiday Festival every year. The Garden was always packed. I'll never forget the year Memphis St. and Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway came in, and he put on a show as a freshman. We couldn't fathom a PG that big being that good. Not to mention, their dance squad was smoking hot. They got a standing O two or three times during the game and at halftime. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Sure, I like TNF football also because I'm a football junkie just like most on this board. Still think it's a horrible decision.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Alan Silver is running the nba into the ground

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

They make money on a dead TV night, so unless you can find another day of the week to move that massive Thursday night package it's not going anywhere.

Friday and Saturday would be good, but can't interfere/compete with college.  Monday is taken, Tuesday and Wednesday don't allow for recovery time, so Thursday it is.

SAR I

Yeah I get the financial aspect of it, and the reason they picked Thursday is also clear but still don't agree with it. It's the direction the NFL is taking though, they will milk this cow dry to the very end.

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Well, at least one player is opposed to the proposed CBA

Eliminating the 4th bs preseason game obviously doesn’t make up for the 17th game or additional playoff games

nor that it matters to me as a jets fan we aren’t making the playoffs anytime soon

52 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

nor that it matters to me as a jets fan we aren’t making the playoffs anytime soon

We would have made the playoffs this season without the injuries.  Hell, we beat the playoff Bills twice even with the injuries.   

We’re winning the division in 2020. You’re going to hate it. 

SAR I

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2020 at 9:19 PM, rangerous said:

so now the nfl playoffs will be like the nba where sub 500 teams regularly get in.  total garbage.  what they really need to do is recognize that playing in the nfl is a 24/7-365 profession and pay the low guys more and let there be more organized team workouts.  it's not the old days when players had to get second jobs flipping burgers to make ends meet.

Using this new format, over the past 10 seasons no under .500 team would have made it into the playoffs bc of this change.  

it seems to me like this was a propoganda move by the owners to make it seem like the players were getting so much all for just this one extra game and then they snuck in these changes to the postseason because they know it would generate more money. In reality if a team went the full path to the super bowl under this proposal they wouldn't just have to play the extra game in the regular season, they could then have an extra playoff game immediately after that. the owners make a bunch of money, but a lot could go wrong during extra games on the path to a super bowl. Its not realistic to do season after season if a team is constantly on the cusp of the playoffs. I think the players should demand fully guaranteed salaries if there is to be any talk of an extra game. I would take that over a small percentage in revenue increase 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They already re-seed as the playoffs go on.  What they need to do is this:  All division winners make the playoffs, but not all should get a home game.  Division winners get in, but the seeding in each conference is based on overall record.  So even if you don't win your division, you can still get a top-4 seed.  

meh, you could penalize a strong division that beat each other up and/or a faced other strong divisions

• Upvote 1

meh, you could penalize a strong division that beat each other up and/or a faced other strong divisions

Meh. That usually isn’t the case. When a team wins a division at 7-9 or 8-8, typically that’s just been a trash division.

And if you’re facing a tough schedule but losing all those games, that also tells me you’re probably not a contender. If youve been losing to playoff teams all year, that very rarely changes when you get to the postseason. It should be reward enough to get into the tournament.