New CBA Approved

42 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I think by sending the vote to the players, the leadership of the players association were basically endorsing (best they could do?) If it failed, based on the timing, there would have been new PA leadership elected and the process would have started over...

Vote was much closer than I expected - might still see some fallout here, don't think this goes away

The richest most powerful players who did not want this deal will toss the leadership.

37 minutes ago, nico002 said:

When do these come into effect?

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So there's a 17 game season coming up this year?  And 14 playoff teams this year?

Additional playoff teams starting next year.

The new CBA will expand the NFL's playoff field by two teams starting with the 2020 season and allow owners the option to expand the regular season from 16 games to 17 games as early as 2021.

17 game season could start as early as 2021.

Owners would have a window from 2021 to 2023 to expand the regular season from 16 games to 17 games, should they choose to do so (and it's expected they will).

At this point, the two sides haven't had substantive discussions about how the 17-game season actually will work -- i.e., which team gets the extra home game and whether there will be more bye weeks -- which is why many think 2022 is the soonest it could happen. But it's very likely to happen.

Good breakdown of all the key points, included the quoted sections above in this link:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28901832/nfl-cba-approved-players-get-new-deal-how-expanded-playoffs-schedule-work

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The richest most powerful players who did not want this deal will toss the leadership.

This closeness of this vote is weird. We heard all along that there is definitely a big difference in compensation between the top tier of guys and the rest of the players, and that the rank and file was all for it. The fact that this was so close, 60 votes, or 2 guys per team, makes you think that there was a huge lobbying job going on that led to the extension of the vote. Something doesn't add up here.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

This closeness of this vote is weird. We heard all along that there is definitely a big difference in compensation between the top tier of guys and the rest of the players, and that the rank and file was all for it. The fact that this was so close, 60 votes, or 2 guys per team, makes you think that there was a huge lobbying job going on that led to the extension of the vote. Something doesn't add up here.

Well also the fact that a bunch of players wanted to change their vote after voting.

In any case tough luck, if the most powerful players were in such an up roar over this they should have done a better job of communicating it and justifying it to the players who it seems to benefit more.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Pouncey twins were clearly threatening everyone with "Florida Justice"

• Haha 1

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

So how man years before they go to 18 games?

Oh and how many bye weeks?

The CFL has been on an 18 game schedule with two bye weeks for quite a while now.  (only two ex games) and it works pretty well.  Far fewer teams though obviously, I'm nit sure what the data says but to me it does not seem like there is a huge increase in injuries after the change.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Pouncey twins were clearly threatening everyone with "Florida Justice"

Good thing Hernandez offed himself........too soon? Or does any joke involving a Patriot player fly here?

Not sure if this is true but I heard rumors that the owners were hoping the players would reject this deal because they (the owners) wanted an 18 game season.  Now they're going to have to wait 11 more years for that to even be a possibility.

Btw, why TF is it not a 17 game season this coming year?!

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Every sport is moving towards giving the stars more and more power.  If the stars push it far enough yes they will dump the leadership.

I disagree.... The ones who receive the best compensation because of the contract are the ones who will continue to promote the leadership... who were the ones to get them their deal.

"The vote was not public, but it's a safe bet that it passed because the deal was geared to helping "middle class" players who make up the majority of NFL rosters."  Sam Acho, a 10-year NFL veteran and player rep who supported the deal, posted a video last week in which he explained why the rank-and-file players were likely to be in favor of the deal despite very public resistance from some of the biggest stars in the game. "Sixty-five percent of players in the NFL last year made minimum salaries," Acho said. "So when you talk about a 20 percent increase effectively year over year, in exchange for one extra game, that's a really good deal."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106247/article/nfl-players-approve-cba-impact-on-league-in-2020-and-beyond

NFL players approve CBA: Impact on league in 2020 and beyond

Print
  • 0ap1000000234885.jpg
  • By Judy Battista
  • NFL.com reporter
  • Published: March 15, 2020 at 10:17 a.m.

After 10 months of negotiations, some very public player splintering, a little last-minute tinkering and even the election of a new union president, the NFL has a new collective bargaining agreement that will govern its relationship with players for the next 11 years. The agreement is a sweeping, 400-plus page document. Let's explore what its passage means by examining five crucial questions in the immediate aftermath:

1) First, after so much controversy, why did this pass?

The vote was not public, but it's a safe bet that it passed because the deal was geared to helping "middle class" players who make up the majority of NFL rosters. Sam Acho, a 10-year NFL veteran and player rep who supported the deal, posted a video last week in which he explained why the rank-and-file players were likely to be in favor of the deal despite very public resistance from some of the biggest stars in the game. "Sixty-five percent of players in the NFL last year made minimum salaries," Acho said. "So when you talk about a 20 percent increase effectively year over year, in exchange for one extra game, that's a really good deal."

It also didn't hurt that the players are scattered during the offseason, and the voting was done by secret ballot, perhaps diminishing the influence of the most vocal opponents. The final tally was quite close: 1,019 players voted in favor of the new CBA, 959 were opposed. Another potential factor that might've helped in pushing this proposal across the finish line: the worldwide economic uncertainly spawning from COVID-19.

2) So, 17 games?

Well, not quite yet. The 2020 season will look familiar -- four preseason games, 16 regular-season games -- with one very new feature: The league will add a wild-card team to each conference, meaning there will be two extra games on Wild Card Weekend. And only the top seed in each conference will get a first-round bye. The second seed will play the No. 7 seed in the first round and so on.

The league has a window to add the 17th regular-season game beginning in 2021 and ending in 2023 -- and 2022 seems to be the most logical time, because all of the new broadcast contracts will be in place by then.

3) With an uneven number of games, how will they manage the 17th game?

That still has to be figured out. The likeliest solution right now seems to be having one conference receive the 17th game as a home game one season, and the other conference getting the additional home game the next season. Other ideas have been tossed around -- playing the 17th game internationally or at a neutral site -- but nothing has been decided.

4) How will the league change during the life of this deal?

The 17th game necessitated changes that will affect player development and could show up on the field immediately. Once the 17-game regular season starts, teams will be limited to 16 padded practices during training camp and no more than three in a row. That is a big change from the current padded-practice limit of 28, so expect coaches to have some thoughts on how that will impact preparation. There will also be a five-day acclimation period that will limit the kind of work done at the very start of camp.

No practice can last longer than 2 1/2 hours and players can't be at the team facility for more than 12 hours per day. And there must be a "bye week" after the third and final preseason game before the start of the regular season.

And this is a big one: Teams are not allowed to add padded practices in the regular season once the 17-game seasons start. Under this new CBA, during the regular season, padded practices will be limited to 14, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks. All of that will remain in place even when the 17-game seasons start.

Teams are also getting bigger. The active roster on game day will go from 46 to 48 players, and one of the extra players has to be an offensive lineman. Practice squads will also expand, to 12 players in 2020 and 2021, and to 14 starting in 2022. Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, meaning that the roster during the week will effectively be 55. That, the league hopes, will help spread out the wear and tear players incur from the 17th game.

5) What's next for the players' union?

The last few weeks have exposed significant fissures in the NFLPA. At the very least, it is clear that some vocal players do not have confidence in the executive director, DeMaurice Smith.

The players elected JC Tretter as their new president, though, and that might be a positive sign for Smith because Tretter is considered a moderate and ran on a platform of the need for unity in the ranks. Most significantly, he beat out defensive back Michael Thomas, who opposed the new CBA and had the backing of hardliner Russell Okung. The passage of the CBA indicates that the majority of players may still support Smith. Okung's complaint to the National Labor Relations Board remains alive, though, and how that plays out could certainly impact Smith's future.

Follow Judy Battista on Twitter @JudyBattista.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Many professions like police,firemen,military etc are dangerous but they don't get paid like football players do. Bottom line no one forces anyone to play the game..

Yeah, but I've been a "topped out" Lieutenant in the Step Plan for 6 years, wish I got their pay increase %. LOL. Come on Chief, promote me to Captain already,  been sitting #1 in the list for 6 months!! 

I've seen that many people don't like that the playoffs will have 14 teams. Mainly because they feel it cheapens the playoffs, But I do think they're looking at it the wrong way.

Their thought process is "having 14 teams allows for more undeserving teams to make the playoffs. We'll see more 8-8 teams in the playoffs, and you shouldn't be able to make it with only 8 wins."

That's a fair point. A counterpoint to that however, would be that it would ensure that teams deserving to be in the playoffs actually make it. You know how many times we've seen teams get 10 wins and still miss the playoffs? *cough* 2015 Jets *cough* In my mind, if you win 10 games then you should be in the playoffs

Historically, more 10-6 teams have missed the playoffs than 8-8 teams have made it. If you really want to rid the playoffs of undeserving teams, I would argue that the best way to do it would be to change around the conference division formats. But that's another story for another day

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetsons said:

start of camp.

17th game necessitated changes that will affect player development and could show up on the field immediately. Once the 17-game regular season starts, teams will be limited to 16 padded practices during training camp and no more than three in a row. That is a big change from the current padded-practice)ow will the league change during the life of this dThe 17th game necessitated changes that will affect player development and could show up on the field immediately. Once the 17-game regular season starts, teams will be limited to 16 padded practices during training camp and no more than three in a row. That is a big change from the current padded-practice limit of 28, so expect coaches to have some thoughts on how that will impact preparation. There will also be a five-day acclimation period that will limit the kind of workdone limit of 28, so expect coaches to have some thoughts on how that will impact preparation. There will also be a five-day acclimation period that will limit the kind of workdone at the very start of camp.

No practice can last longer than 2 1/2 hours and players can't be at the team facility for more than 12 hours per day. And there must be a "bye week" after the third and final preseason game before the start of the regular season.

And this is a big one: Teams are not allowed to add padded practices in the regular season once the 17-game seasons start. Under this new CBA, during the regular season, padded practices will be limited to 14, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks. All of that will remain in place even when the 17-game seasons start.

Teams are also getting bigger. The active roster on game day will go from 46 to 48 players, and one of the extra players has to be an offensive lineman. Practice squads will also expand, to 12 players in 2020 and 2021, and to 14 starting in 2022. Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, meaning that the roster during the week will effectively be 55. That, the league hopes, will help spread out the wear and tear players incur from the 17th game.

Follow Judy Battista on Twitter @JudyBattista.

Good God. It's going to be a slopfest sh*tshow of underconditioned players getting hurt. The first month of seasons is going to.look like the XFL.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, King P said:

I've seen that many people don't like that the playoffs will have 14 teams. Mainly because they feel it cheapens the playoffs, But I do think they're looking at it the wrong way.

Their thought process is "having 14 teams allows for more undeserving teams to make the playoffs. We'll see more 8-8 teams in the playoffs, and you shouldn't be able to make it with only 8 wins."

That's a fair point. A counterpoint to that however, would be that it would ensure that teams deserving to be in the playoffs actually make it. You know how many times we've seen teams get 10 wins and still miss the playoffs? *cough* 2015 Jets *cough* In my mind, if you win 10 games then you should be in the playoffs

Historically, more 10-6 teams have missed the playoffs than 8-8 teams have made it. If you really want to rid the playoffs of undeserving teams, I would argue that the best way to do it would be to change around the conference division formats. But that's another story for another day

Excellent point. I don't think it weakens the playoffs really. The #2 team really doesnt deserve a bye. I am amazed it passed, the elite were doing everything to kill this for their own benefit. It is not perfect but probably the best CBA the players in totality have ever received.

40 minutes ago, King P said:

Looking more into the CBA, Good Lord the players screwed themselves over here.

But then again the NFLPA is the weakest among the 4 sports here, so I guess it's par for the course *shrugs*

How so? 
Are you saying they should have forced a work stoppage when the average career is 2 & 1/2 to 3 years I believe? 
pretty hard for the vast majority to earn that $600,000 they might miss. 
Stars will always get extra benefits. This was a middle class worker contract to benefit the most players both now, and when their careers are over.