What Else could Douglas do in Free Agency and then the plan for the Draft.

like it

I believe we are locked in at OT in the 1st round as well.

depending on the board I can see a move down (and much less likely, but even a move to 9 with the Jags) being in play ... but def OT

---

next 3 picks should include at least 1 more OT & 1 WR

(I'll say BAP in round 2 will be one of those positions, with tie going to WR)

round 3 picks (OT or WR , whichever is not addressed in round 2, will be one of them ... the other will be CB, or pass-rushing OLB/DE ... order of these 2 will be BAP at those positions

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I disagree that you have to go OT with the first 2 picks... The Jets NEED a #1 WR and those will mostly be taken in the first 2 rounds... If you wait you will get nice players but not a #1 WR they desperately need.

I'll bet we dont.  

Is signing Beechum too expensive? I don't want to sound like a toilet paper hoarder but our O line has sucked so bad for so long why not bring him back at the right price, AND go OT first round - so we go from acceptably average to pretty good. Then bring in CB Logan Ryan and the Edge from the Giants Golden. Seems like they are worthy. But on D I think JD is listening to what Greg wants 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I disagree that you have to go OT with the first 2 picks... The Jets NEED a #1 WR and those will mostly be taken in the first 2 rounds... If you wait you will get nice players but not a #1 WR they desperately need.

If we don't get a Peters, Robinson or even a Beachum would you want your QB be protected by Fant or Edoga protecting your franchise QB?  I say no. He is the most important player on your team.  Tom Brady is not Tom Brady without a top or way above average offensive line.  Look at what the Dallas offensive line created in Dak Prescott. Is Dak Prescott a top 5 QB without that offensive line?!! 

Signing Clowney might actually give us a chance to compete for the AFC East.  Not a strong chance but a chance.  Need that stud pass rusher to make everyone else draw a 1 on 1.

Other than that, drafting OL and WR in rounds 1 and 2 should fill the last major holes on this roster.  (Not that the new OL is great but I think it has a chance to be competent unlike before.)

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Someone pointed out to me in another thread that Greg Robinson is facing some very serious chargses for marijuana possession and he won't be playing anymore football

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah just seen that. 157 pounds of marijuana is no joke. So yeah I would say he won't be available if you still wanted to sign him.  

With the Trent Williams-Skins situation continuing to deteriorate, if JD is hell bent on adding an established left tackle, any possibility of flipping Williamson for Williams?  Then moving Fant to the right side. I am not a fan of this idea because I really want to see CJ and Williamson play together.  But maybe an option nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

With the Trent Williams-Skins situation continuing to deteriorate, if JD is hell bent on adding an established left tackle, any possibility of flipping Williamson for Williams?  Then moving Fant to the right side. I am not a fan of this idea because I really want to see CJ and Williamson play together.  But maybe an option nonetheless.

The Skins are running a 4-3 scheme with Del Rio.  That would make little sense for them.  

1 hour ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Is signing Beechum too expensive? I don't want to sound like a toilet paper hoarder but our O line has sucked so bad for so long why not bring him back at the right price, AND go OT first round - so we go from acceptably average to pretty good. Then bring in CB Logan Ryan and the Edge from the Giants Golden. Seems like they are worthy. But on D I think JD is listening to what Greg wants 

He may bring Beachum back but since he was with the Eagles I am getting this funny feeling that Peters will be the signing after Peters sees he can't get a two year contract from any other team. 

If JD can sign a couple of hold the fort guys like maybe a Peters for OL and Thomas for WR on ST deals, he could pretty much do anything he wants at #11 including trading back if a good deal were presented.  IMO, as he sits right now, it would be hard for him to pass on an OT at #11 even if he has a Lamb or Jeudy rated higher

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Hello Again Jet Fans

With the Free Agency almost completed, and after, noticing who is left and who Mr. Douglas signed, we see what our GM is creating. Number 1, he is creating a competition for jobs. You have to earn your position. I do feel he will be signing a few more players looking at the money he still has in their salary cap figure.  So looking at the roster and the Depth Chart we see two glaring positions where it needs to be upgraded the most. And that is the tackles. Yes Douglas went out and signed Fant but he is a situational kind of signing. Yes he is interesting, and will get a chance to be and every down OT, but we cannot take that chance from his history. The other tackle is Chuma Edoga, who we really don't know who he really is as a player. We drafted him high last year after a really good Senior Bowl but he really wasn't a top 1st round OT at that time. So again we are going to give him a shot and not give up so easily on a young player. But again can we take a chance on him having a year like last? No.  So for me when I hear you Jet fans talking about drafting a Wideout as your number 1 pick,  I just don't see it.  Yes we should address this position in this draft but not until we get two blue chipper OT's.

So there are two options Mr. Douglas has and that is to sign a player like Jason Peters or Greg Robinson with another 1 year contract, or resign Kelvin Beachum. Or you can sign a Right Tackle in James Hurst. Yes he will be suspended for 4 games but he is a quality right tackle.   You need a veteran presence after you draft not 1 but 2 OT's in this draft.  Building the offensive line is a must with a young QB at helm.  So for me Douglas needs to sign one of these players and draft with the 11 pick hopefully a player available like a Wirfs, Thomas or Willis. And if he doesn't sign another OT he has to draft two quality OT'S with the first two picks.  Getting a Wirfs or Thomas and then drafting a player like Ezra Cleveland would be my option. You  will still find quality wideouts in the third round.  Wideouts like Colin Johnson of Texas, Tyler Johnson of Minnesota, Gabriel Davis of Central Florida, and Donovan People-Jones of Michigan all should be available.

This is how I would go.   If you can't protect your QB or open holes for your ground game than every thing else is secondary.

Tony 

??  ✈✈   

You do understand that drafting two ot is not happening.   Like it or not Joe D is not paying Fant the money he is and then not playing him. 

Fant is going to start at one of the OT spots. 

they want OL that fit what Gase wants to do.  

right or wrong this is what is going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You do understand that drafting two ot is not happening.  

Why not?  That's how you build a pipeline.  The ideal scenario would be to find our long-term starters at both LT and RT in this draft.  

One OT in the 1st/2nd, another in the 4th/5th sounds good to me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

If we don't get a Peters, Robinson or even a Beachum would you want your QB be protected by Fant or Edoga protecting your franchise QB?  I say no. He is the most important player on your team.  Tom Brady is not Tom Brady without a top or way above average offensive line.  Look at what the Dallas offensive line created in Dak Prescott. Is Dak Prescott a top 5 QB without that offensive line?!! 

Dak Prescott isn't a top 5 qb with that line.  You're also leaving out his Top RB and WR.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Signing Clowney might actually give us a chance to compete for the AFC East.  Not a strong chance but a chance.  Need that stud pass rusher to make everyone else draw a 1 on 1.

Other than that, drafting OL and WR in rounds 1 and 2 should fill the last major holes on this roster.  (Not that the new OL is great but I think it has a chance to be competent unlike before.)

Really? I actually think we might be a worse team with Clowney becuause he is not that great against the pash rush we are already excellent against the run and his $15 million or so would ruin versatility and depth. He is NOT a stud pash rusher he is a decent player still somehow living off the greatest tackle in college history

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Really? I actually think we might be a worse team with Clowney becuause he is not that great against the pash rush we are already excellent against the run and his $15 million or so would ruin versatility and depth. He is NOT a stud pash rusher he is a decent player still somehow living off the greatest tackle in college history

I watched the Cardinals @ Seahawks game late last season and Clowney was a game changer in that game, disrupting the QBs rhythm a lot.  Impact as a pass rusher is more than sacks (and I don't mean than in a phony Leonard Williams way)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  That's how you build a pipeline.  The ideal scenario would be to find our long-term starters at both LT and RT in this draft.  

One OT in the 1st/2nd, another in the 4th/5th sounds good to me.

Well that I can see, what I am pointing out is Fant is starting this year.   So if they draft a second ot they are to be developed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I was watching a Seahawks game on nfl channel this morning, I’m all in for Clowney if we can make it work. With our other 2 LBs healthy and jordan on the other side we’d be tough

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm thinking they'll see what happens in the draft before resigning a guy like Beachum. If we don't get a top OT, we bring him back as a probable starter, if we do then he's more of a backup guy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

On 3/25/2020 at 5:10 PM, jetscrazey said:

The Resigning of Jenkins will shut this down. I see them more looking at 1 year contract with Peters. This will give them another option at left tackle with Fant or move Fant to RT.  Need to make that offensive line better. 

On 3/25/2020 at 5:07 PM, jetsfansince7 said:

He doesn't want to be here. He has passively said as much.