14 Team Playoffs

I hate it. The NFL is becoming a charity event where everyone gets awarded just for participating. 

It's horse crap. And the games are already watered down towards the end of the season and I can not imagine how week 18 will look. 

And the 17 game schedule is even worse.

Half the teams will get an extra home game and a seasonal advantage - while the other remaining will be all getting screwed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't like this at all.  When we win the division in a few months I don't want the Patriots sneaking in at 7-9.

SAR I

Well, believe it or not years like we just had at 7-9 would be close or possibly sneak in. Teams like we were ths year were teams that other playoff teams would not have wanted to face since our D was ranked 7th about mid of the road against the pass and like 2 against the run shutting it down cold. Our O was doing pretty well at consistently passing the ball, though our run game was below par. I'd always be all for making the playoffs with a team like this and some more consistency at Oline even at 8-8 going forward and either see what we can do when we get in the dance or if nothing else get Darnold and other younglings we have playoff experience.

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't like this at all.  When we win the division in a few months I don't want the Patriots sneaking in at 7-9.

SAR I

Not only that SAR but all the historic record books for single season records set by some of the legendary throwbacks and old-timers will begin to get broken each and every season while becoming just a thing of the past; due to an extra game and I think it's compete horse crap. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Not only that SAR but all the historic record books for single season records set by some of the legendary throwbacks and old-timers will begin to get broken each and every season while becoming just a thing of the past; due to an extra game and I think it's compete horse crap. 

You’re arguing the wrong thing.

• Upvote 1

I don't see the issue.  Frankly, I'm not sure how good the bye really is for the top-two teams as it is.  It's one more game to watch on the first weekend.  One more chance for our team to get in if they don't win the division.  It's mostly the same anyway.  3 still plays 6.  4 still plays 5.  It's just team 2 in each conference that has an extra game.  And if team 7 beats team 2, then so be it.  If you lose that game, you weren't going to win the SB most likely anyway.

I see no way that this is a negative for fans.  Except maybe fans of the 2-seed if they lose.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's already happened twice in the NFL.  It's happened in MLB as well.  Nothing you can do about it.  Just remember that Namath was the first QB to break 4,000 yards in a season and he did it in 14 games.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I hate it. The NFL is becoming a charity event where everyone gets awarded just for participating. 

It's horse crap. And the games are already watered down towards the end of the season and I can not imagine how week 18 will look. 

And the 17 game schedule is even worse.

Half the teams will get an extra home game and a seasonal advantage - while the other remaining will be all getting screwed. 

Your are complaining about a seasonal advantage for 17 games  and also complaining against an additional playoff team. The reality is that these arguments conflict with each other. The NFL does not play a balanced schedule for ANY team. In the same division there are 2 unique games the other teams do not play. In the same conference, there are at least 4 and as many as 9 unique games between any 2 teams. And obviously in separate conferences there are only 1 to 3 games in common at all. 

If you then consider that the strength of each division in football can be wildly different in strength you can see there there is no scheduling balance at all in the NFL. Comparing records outside of a single division  only has a very weak correlation. In fact the only time comparing W-L makes any sense is within division.  For past year as example, a schedule was WAY easier if you played both East divisions instead of both West divisions. An 8-8 team from last year from the W-W scenario probably has a better record than a 9-7 or even 10-6 record than the team playing East and East.

Win totals as a comparision tool between teams in the NFL is almost irrelevant. Allowing an extra team in the playoffs if anything makes the playoffs stronger not more watered down.

This is there solution to late season empty stadiums, and sh*tty prime time ratings outside the off chance they got a week 17 game with win and in for both teams.  Now they will most likely have a win and in game every year week 17, or 18.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Your are complaining about a seasonal advantage for 17 games  and also complaining against an additional playoff team. The reality is that these arguments conflict with each other. The NFL does not play a balanced schedule for ANY team. In the same division there are 2 unique games the other teams do not play. In the same conference, there are at least 4 and as many as 9 unique games between any 2 teams. And obviously in separate conferences there are only 1 to 3 games in common at all. 

If you then consider that the strength of each division in football can be wildly different in strength you can see there there is no scheduling balance at all in the NFL. Comparing records outside of a single division  only has a very weak correlation. In fact the only time comparing W-L makes any sense is within division.  For past year as example, a schedule was WAY easier if you played both East divisions instead of both West divisions. An 8-8 team from last year from the W-W scenario probably has a better record than a 9-7 or even 10-6 record than the team playing East and East.

Win totals as a comparision tool between teams in the NFL is almost irrelevant. Allowing an extra team in the playoffs if anything makes the playoffs stronger not more watered down.

Look at all time home records vs all time away records in football and then get back to me... 

Giving half the league 1 more home game and the other half 1 less home game is absolutely an idiotic idea. 

Regardless of opponent everyone knows and understands that teams win at a higher percentage at home when in comparison to playing on the road. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Not a big fan of this.  I think it dilutes the overall product.  Inferior teams already make the playoffs.  This just makes it silly IMO.

We will be lucky if we even have a product to watch this year. It will be diluted since they will miss valuable time to practice.  I don't care if they let in 32 teams, just give me a real sport to watch.

2 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

We will be lucky if we even have a product to watch this year. It will be diluted since they will miss valuable time to practice.  I don't care if they let in 32 teams, just give me a real sport to watch.

That's my concern too. All this Jets talk that I've been doing while stuck @ home and this virus is spreading and becoming worse by the day; not better. 

Florida went to 900 cases to over 5,000 confirmed cases in less than 1 week and will continue to sky rocket. 

I don't think there will be an NFL season for 2020. 

• Thumb Down 1

That's my concern too. All this Jets talk that I've been doing while stuck @ home and this virus is spreading and becoming worse by the day; not better. 
Florida went to 900 cases to over 5,000 confirmed cases in less than 1 week and will continue to sky rocket. 
I don't think there will be an NFL season for 2020. 

I don’t think there will be anything until 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Look at all time home records vs all time away records in football and then get back to me... 

Giving half the league 1 more home game and the other half 1 less home game is absolutely an idiotic idea. 

Regardless of opponent everyone knows and understands that teams win at a higher percentage at home when in comparison to playing on the road. 

As long as it is divided AFC on year NFC next year it is irrelevant

38 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I don’t think there will be anything until 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be longer than that. I don't see this coming to an end anytime soon. 

The only way as humans we can overcome this is if not only Americans but every person in the entire world (@ the same exact time) stays inside (including homeless somehow someway) for 30 days (1 month to be extra safe) but I find this impossible to ever happen but if not it's never going away. 

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, believe it or not years like we just had at 7-9 would be close or possibly sneak in. Teams like we were ths year were teams that other playoff teams would not have wanted to face since our D was ranked 7th about mid of the road against the pass and like 2 against the run shutting it down cold. Our O was doing pretty well at consistently passing the ball, though our run game was below par. I'd always be all for making the playoffs with a team like this and some more consistency at Oline even at 8-8 going forward and either see what we can do when we get in the dance or if nothing else get Darnold and other younglings we have playoff experience.

That 1999 Parcells team with Ray Lucas, they would have been interesting in the playoffs for sure.

SAR I

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Owners expected to ratify this Tuesday

This means 6 games on wildcard weekend and only 1 bye team per conference

It also means that some 9-7 and 8-8 teams may have a shot some years

9-7/8-8 teams will have a shot more often than not. 

In a prior thread I used this new playoff scenario to show what teams would have made it the prior decade. 

It's two extra games that they'll make money on but diluting the quality of the entire season. 

I dont like it.