Betty's Mock Draft - It's a Wild One!

Joe Douglas has displayed remarkable constraint in free agency.  He has a story and he's sticking to it!  Same with the draft.  He has three OT on his board ready to pounce when it's his turn.  However, all three are gone by #11!  Jerry Jeudy is there!  So is CJ Henderson!  While clutching his pearls trying to determine Plan B, his private mobile phone rings.  He knows the only person on the planet (besides his wife) who has that number is Ernie DeCosta from the Ravens.  The Ravens know if they are going to beat the Chiefs in the playoffs they need more speed on defense and Isaiah Simmons somehow is still on the board.  So the old friends swing a deal and although it's a big drop in round one it's still a sweet dealfor Douglas.  The draft plays out as follows:

#28 (from BAL) - Justin Jefferson, WR

#48 - Ezra Cleveland, OT

#55 - (from BAL) Jalen Reagor, WR

#60 - (from BAL) Lloyd Cushenberry, IOL

#68 - (from NYG) Cameron Dantzler, CB

#79 - Josh Uche, EDGE

#92 - (from BAL) Van Jefferson, WR

In addition to the three picks, Douglas also gets running back Gus Edwards in the deal.  Edwards had over 700 yards in each of his two seasons and averaged over 5.0/YPC.  Lastly, Douglas wrangles a 2021 second round pick on top of it all.

Offensive line - check!, CB/Edge - check!  WR - check, check, check!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I like Jefferson but Cleveland is not a starter at this point... main weakness is point of attack... One of The Biggest problems a tackle can have... also Reagor will be gone by 55.... I do like the idea of a trade down... you would need to get more in return though. ?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

If Isaiah Simmons is still on the board by 11 that would mean that the top 4 Olineman are gone...why wouldn’t we pick him? He’d be the BAP and solve our pass rushing woes.

He doesn't play off the edge... he's more of a free safety in a LB body.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Joe Douglas has displayed remarkable constraint in free agency.  He has a story and he's sticking to it!  Same with the draft.  He has three OT on his board ready to pounce when it's his turn.  However, all three are gone by #11!  Jerry Jeudy is there!  So is CJ Henderson!  While clutching his pearls trying to determine Plan B, his private mobile phone rings.  He knows the only person on the planet (besides his wife) who has that number is Ernie DeCosta from the Ravens.  The Ravens know if they are going to beat the Chiefs in the playoffs they need more speed on defense and Isaiah Simmons somehow is still on the board.  So the old friends swing a deal and although it's a big drop in round one it's still a sweet dealfor Douglas.  The draft plays out as follows:

#48 - Ezra Cleveland, OT

#79 - Josh Uche, EDGE

In addition to the three picks, Douglas also gets running back Gus Edwards in the deal.  Edwards had over 700 yards in each of his two seasons and averaged over 5.0/YPC.  Lastly, Douglas wrangles a 2021 second round pick on top of it all.

I love science fiction

• Upvote 1

#48 - Ezra Cleveland, OT
#79 - Josh Uche, EDGE

If that’s our draft. I would be ok with that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

#48 - Ezra Cleveland, OT

#79 - Josh Uche, EDGE

Love everything but this. No CB till at least the 4th rd. The league has made them almost obsolete.

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

If Isaiah Simmons is still on the board by 11 that would mean that the top 4 Olineman are gone...why wouldn’t we pick him? He’d be the BAP and solve our pass rushing woes.

I would hate it if we get sucked into taking a hybrid LB just because he's athletic. he would do nothing to move the needle. I see him failing like Arron Maybin.  If JD takes him I would be very disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Idzik also showed remarkable restraint in free agency. JD seems to be a guy who is maybe too stubborn to realize market value is defined by the market, and not on an Excel sheet. 

I hear ya but I don't know man. I like it.  The difference is that Idzik wasn't able to execute an actual plan. JD said he was going to head toward fixing the OL From day one. He added 4 new guys, let 3 go and resigned one more. That alone says that his restraint is at least a part of the plan. And he threw in a CB to address another weakness as well. He's paying attention and I'm really looking forward to the draft. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya but I don't know man. I like it.  The difference is that Idzik wasn't able to execute an actual plan. JD said he was going to head toward fixing the OL From day one. He added 4 new guys, let 3 go and resigned one more. That alone says that his restraint is at least a part of the plan. And he threw in a CB to address another weakness as well. He's paying attention and I'm really looking forward to the draft. 

I actually see JD having the same approach as Idzik in FA. Idzik wasn't terrible in FA. But his bargain approach necessitates drafting well, which he did not. The question is whether JD can draft of not. It will define everything.

• Upvote 1

That’s an interesting draft. I love the Jefferson reagor receiving core. I think they’d compliment each other well. The only flaw with this draft is it puts a lot of pressure on Cleveland. I know he tested well at combine but it would be a big jump for him to be a starting left tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I actually see JD having the same approach as Idzik in FA. Idzik wasn't terrible in FA. But his bargain approach necessitates drafting well, which he did not. The question is whether JD can draft of not. It will define everything.

Agreed that drafting is the most important piece to all of this. 

And you're right though. I actually didn't hate how thoroughly Idzik cleaned the house.  He got us 12 draft picks and 2 1sts.  Then there was that CB debacle where the guy stopped showing up. Remember that craziness? WTF was that? lol 

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Idzik also showed remarkable restraint in free agency. JD seems to be a guy who is maybe too stubborn to realize market value is defined by the market, and not on an Excel sheet. 

The difference (hopefully) is Douglas knows good players.  Idzik knew advanced excel features.  Nothing else.

16 hours ago, jetsons said:

He doesn't play off the edge... he's more of a free safety in a LB body.

Totally agree, I see him more of a Kam Chancellor (nice upgrade from Maye tho) than a Vic Beasley (which isn't necessarily a good thing).  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Totally agree, I see him more of a Kam Chancellor (nice upgrade from Maye tho) than a Vic Beasley (which isn't necessarily a good thing).  

I agree, but Maye is still fine & Safety is not a need @ this point... if he were there I would Definitely look for a trade down... depending on who else is on the board.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

#48 - Ezra Cleveland, OT

#79 - Josh Uche, EDGE

Not enough to draft an OT in the second or third round.  Cleveland isn't good enough.  I would only trade out of #11 if Wills, Thomas and Wirfs are gone.

16 hours ago, jetlaw said:

That’s an interesting draft. I love the Jefferson reagor receiving core. I think they’d compliment each other well. The only flaw with this draft is it puts a lot of pressure on Cleveland. I know he tested well at combine but it would be a big jump for him to be a starting left tackle.

Although people on this board don't want to admit it, we have our starting left tackle. JD didn't pay $10m for a backup. So he probably wouldn't object to a project who could be a starter in a year or so.

On 4/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, BettyBoop said:

#48 - Ezra Cleveland, OT

#79 - Josh Uche, EDGE

If they were such good friends you would think they’d know each other’s first name. 

Hard pass...