More Mekhi

32 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

An article on Becton from TDN late last year.

Good stuff and the two clips in the tweets are just wow...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/all-aboard--the-mekhi-becton-hype-train-is-leaving-the-station

Got to say that second video was really impressive of him throwing big men to the ground like they were lil kids.  WOW

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to say that second video was really impressive of him throwing big men to the ground like they were lil kids.  WOW

Yup. And those are quality athletes from teams like FSU and Notre Dame that he is just tossing aside with ease. Really exciting stuff.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Yup. And those are quality athletes from teams like FSU and Notre Dame that he is just tossing aside with ease. Really exciting stuff.

AS @peppe said right now his hand useage is poor.  Wait till he learns how to jolt people with proper hand placement.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Next to him, big men ARE lil kids.  I imagine him just yelling "and STAY down" after one of those moments.  His potential is just so damn huge...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The one at 0:20 just made me LOL.

Funny, the clip before that was what did it for me. He takes his guy and just tosses him aside, like 5 yards away from the spot, then goes and hits him again knocking him backwards. By this point there is zero chance that this guy can ever impact the play. So what is becton do? He goes and pile drives him into the ground with a third shot. 

Basically took that kid's soul on one play. How do you come back from that? 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I LOVE seeing clips of Becton pancaking LBs and Edge rushers and dominating smaller DEs and then realizing how he's not even doing it with proper hand usage, form and technique. How, if he cleaned some of that up he could be an absolute dominating force against nearly anyone in the NFL. 

For example, he leans out and lunges to push guys. sometimes thats part of a zone scheme on run plays but other times its completely unnecessary and he gives up way too much ground doing that. Sometimes he will stick with a defender when the guy is completely out of the play. Often times falling to the ground. Why give yourself up? Finish the block, move on to the next man. Becton could block 2-3 guys on one run play if he was really technically proficient. 

I just love the potential. Jets O-line coaches are going to turn this guy into a MONSTER. 

The thing I don't understand is don't college coaches see that? YOU saw it.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

You can just see him destroying the will of the opposing d-linemen and LBs. It's awesome.

If you watch some full game tape you can see this play out. I've seen players from some high end schools basically say F it, I didn't sign up for this abuse.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The thing I don't understand is don't college coaches see that? YOU saw it.

He was probably coached to play that way.  At that level OL is stressed to just stay with their man, and don't worry about anything else.  You'll see in a lot of his videos he knocks a guy down, waits for him to try to get up, and either knocks him down again, or falls on him.  Ouch  

Particularly in pass protection.  Instead of jolting a guy, he lets the guy get into his body, and just smothers him with bulk.  I'm willing to bet it was  just the way he was coached to do it.

The good news is it should be easy to fix with a good NFL OL coach teaching him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, RobR said:

If you watch some full game tape you can see this play out. I've seen players from some high end schools basically say F it, I didn't sign up for this abuse.

Larry Allen used to do this to people at the NFL level. Guys would watch film of him abusing opponents and suddenly go down with an injury in practice, or "tweak a hip" during the game and tap out. Then there's this comment from John Randle (himself not only a HoFer but one of the great trash-talkers in NFL history):

John Randle is himself a Hall of Famer and one of the very best defensive tackles to ever lace them up. Randle put up 14 years of superb play and has his bust residing in Canton, Ohio at the Pro Football Hall of Fame. To hear him speak of Larry Allen should tell those who didn’t see his prime all they need to know:

“When a man can bench press 692 pounds, that man can launch you.  It’s like going against a bear; I mean, he’s just humongous.  He’ll grab you, pick you up, and start laughing. And there is nothing you can do. It’s like going against a car; you are trying to stop him and you are just sliding.

I’ve seen him take linebackers and just drive them 20 yards. Not 5, not 10. And you go back to the huddle and that linebackers is looking at you like, “What am I supposed to do?” Do the best you can. Do the best you can.

You didn’t taunt him. You were nice to him. Give him a hand up and smile at him. Sometime he’d smile back. But don’t get him mad. He is one of the most powerful men to ever play the game.” – John Randle, NFL Films

Anyone suggesting any draft pick could ever be Larry Allen is out of their minds; he may be the best offensive lineman in NFL history (yes, better than Munoz and Hannah). But Becton has the potential to do similar things to NFL players, and that's just nuts.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Watching this kid work out at his size & young age just reminds of what COULD BE going forward for his career. 

He could be a transcendent player in the AFC East. The type of player that when he retires coaches at Miami, Buffalo, New England, say Thank God! 

If he develops like JD thinks he can, DCs will just try to attack & overload the right tackle side. It's just an amazing advantage for the offense when you know you've got a wall on that left side. 

• Sympathy 1

On 4/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, flgreen said:

He was probably coached to play that way.  At that level OL is stressed to just stay with their man, and don't worry about anything else.  You'll see in a lot of his videos he knocks a guy down, waits for him to try to get up, and either knocks him down again, or falls on him.  Ouch  

Particularly in pass protection.  Instead of jolting a guy, he lets the guy get into his body, and just smothers him with bulk.  I'm willing to bet it was  just the way he was coached to do it.

The good news is it should be easy to fix with a good NFL OL coach teaching him.  

i don't think they'll be able to bull rush him very successfully.  they may be able to get around him but even there it's all about how long it takes not actually stopping the defender.  if the defender gets to the qb in 2.7 seconds and the qb throws in 2.5 seconds then it's a win for the offense.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Doggin94it said:

Larry Allen used to do this to people at the NFL level. Guys would watch film of him abusing opponents and suddenly go down with an injury in practice, or "tweak a hip" during the game and tap out. Then there's this comment from John Randle (himself not only a HoFer but one of the great trash-talkers in NFL history):

Anyone suggesting any draft pick could ever be Larry Allen is out of their minds; he may be the best offensive lineman in NFL history (yes, better than Munoz and Hannah). But Becton has the potential to do similar things to NFL players, and that's just nuts.

You prompted me to find this- unreal

On 4/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, IndianaJet said:

A little inside look from Louisville pre-season All Access show, nothing great but I figured I'd share:

so another Zoom memory from the WR dude ... we talked about Mims' coaching quality (not a ton) and Becton's OL coaching quality at Louisvile I.e. there wasn't much 

Yelling at someone to be violent is motivational but it's not technical. 

this video doesn't seem like Becton technical upside has even been scratched.

his physical upside is the subject of other threads but I'm wondering what will happen when Frank Pollack (an actual B+ OL coach who worked in Dallas 2015-2017 the salad years) gets a hold of Becton and when Shaun Jefferson/Hines Ward get ahold of Mims. Both Pollack and Jefferson have 15 years NFL positional coaching experience. 

This dude from Louisville is an excellent motivator but he wasn't really making these kids perform (or overperform). Becton had to beg for them to run behind him. Really?

We can say maybe the Louisville coaches are geniuses and it was all on the cutting room floor, and you can't judge a person on 5 minutes of video but on the other hand, Tiger King.