Will Snyder change the name?

13 minutes ago, CTM said:

Boomers and millenials ruining everything..

As to this issue, change the name. Its long overdue. 

However, imo people with the idea that those who resist cancel culture are doing so solely on racist grounds have a pretty shallow take on the matter. Organized mobs of people deciding what is or isnt ok to think/say with the power to take away livelihoods and ostracize is pretty dangerous as far as I'm concerned. Particularly as thier causes move from unambiguous issues to ones that are more complex and nuanced. 

Yea, I can agree with that. To the point Angelo made: compartmentalization.

This issue: change it. 

Other issues: logic, case-by-case required.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Thank you. I'm hoping the nationwide protests and marches continue, and the focus shifts to tackling income inequality, corporate greed, and fair voting. 

It wont. Changing mascots, abolishing the police, and toppling Lincoln statues is far more important in our chase for true equality.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Or, America watched three cops stand by and watch another cop choke a black dude out with his knee for nine minutes, then saw the PD try to hide it, then watched the ME state that the black dude died from “pre-existing conditions” and America finally decided that maybe we should believe black people when they say that the problems range much farther than the one white cop who choked the dude to death? But, yes, that evil Pelosi. 

I agree there's issues that urgently needs to be addressed.  I fully support tearing down the prison/ police infrastructure while adding accountability and oversight. That is not what I'm talking about . This is not about the merits of the cause rather the character and commitment of the people who are attaching themselves to it.

I'm asking you why the media and politicians cared in 2016 (look at the google trend data) , did nothing real in response,  didnt pay it any mind in 17,18,19 and now have decided it's important again? I'm suggesting post election this dies down again with no substantive changes made( which is the point you made).

I hope I'm wrong but that is exactly what happenned after 2016 which is why we are here with the same issue in 2020. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, America watched three cops stand by and watch another cop choke a black dude out with his knee for nine minutes, then saw the PD try to hide it, then watched the ME state that the black dude died from “pre-existing conditions” and America finally decided that maybe we should believe black people when they say that the problems range much farther than the one white cop who choked the dude to death? But, yes, that evil Pelosi. 

'America' hasn't decided anything. Opportunistic corporations and politicians are making all the noise. Corporations have turned the cause into a glorified PR campaign, and politicians are out to #GetOutTheVote.

After COVID, most Americans are struggling just to get on with their lives. I'm not sure this issue is of any concern to the many that lost their jobs and are worried about their future. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

'America' hasn't decided anything. Opportunistic corporations and politicians are making all the noise. Corporations have turned the cause into a glorified PR campaign, and politicians are out to #GetOutTheVote.

After COVID, most Americans are struggling just to get on with their lives. I'm not sure this issue is of any concern to the many that lost their jobs and are worried about their future. 

On the money. Especially the anxiety many Americans are feeling with the pandemic...corporate boardrooms filled with execs living in their own wealth bubble dictating policy and the #culture isnt a step in the right direction.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

doesnt require a "statistical expert" to record a y or n from a phone call. 

I've come to find over the years that any poll that does not refelct the opinion of the reader is flawed.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It wont. Changing mascots, abolishing the police, and toppling Lincoln statues is far more important in our chase for true equality.

In a world of macroaggressions, we focus on microaggressions. I love the people in this country. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Thank you. I'm hoping the nationwide protests and marches continue, and the focus shifts to tackling income inequality, corporate greed, and fair voting. 

These are complex issues with complex solutions. Take minimum wage increases, there are strong arguments its regressive in nature.  That it most hurts the very people it's trying to help while also hurting the middle class whose wages will still stagnate but get hit with inflation tax every year.  

Its not as unambiguous as police brutality and most people havent a clue 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

This thread is getting into the danger zone. 

Keep the politics out of it. There's a little BLM club you can opt into if you can't help yourself. 

Sorry, my bad. I'm out of the thread. Please delete my posts if it will help

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Because dudes who refuse to even give ground on blatantly racist team names are surely going to vote away their own privilege to provide for true equality, right? :-k

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Maybe they just change it back to the original name of the franchise ... the Boston Redskins

oh ... wait

The team is reviewing this. Almost guaranteed to change at this point. Maybe they should wait until they come up wth a new name for the city and the district as they are both offensive to some.  

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What’s the difference between the motivations of “cynical corporations and politicians” and the will of the American people? One begets the other. And spare me with the downtrodden regular guy who lost his job because of COVID narrative. I work in an industry that’s roughly 99% still unemployed because of cynical hillbilly politicians. We can focus oh two things at once. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Because dudes who refuse to even give ground on blatantly racist team names are surely going to vote away their own privilege to provide for true equality, right? :-k

Who's not giving ground?

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

These are complex issues with complex solutions. Take minimum wage increases, there are strong arguments its regressive in nature.  That it most hurts the very people it's trying to help while also hurting the middle class whose wages will still stagnate but get hit with inflation tax every year.  

Its not as unambiguous as police brutality and most people havent a clue 

I disagree. Poor wages/income inequality are not remotely ambiguous. But I’ll bow out of this debate now out of respect to the mods. Maybe I’ll see you In Da Club 

The weird thing about this is the FedEx CEO ( I believe) is a part owner / part of the ownership group of the Washington Racial Slurs. The fact that his company is forcing the Racial Slurs to make a move is interesting

• Upvote 2

The name should have been changed to something else other than that which means the scalped head of a Native American
54db9c3d6dc2a_-_redskins1-gtp0as.png?resize=480:*&key=ace4e8c973371565910d804c8339c746f475b2fa1e6b4c1068af993d4e97bfac
Stop arguing against it, the term is inherently egregious 

They’re going to call you a Snowflake & say it isn’t racist.
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s the difference between the motivations of “cynical corporations and politicians” and the will of the American people? One begets the other. And spare me with the downtrodden regular guy who lost his job because of COVID narrative. I work in an industry that’s roughly 99% still unemployed because of cynical hillbilly politicians. We can focus oh two things at once. 

Well, these days...people don't feel 'represented' by billionaires and there is a real anti-establishment, anti-elite sentiment across demographics. People don't feel like they're being heard. It's probably transient, but it's there.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CTM said:

did nothing real in response,

Short answer: they’re also not doing anything about it now so I’m not entirely sure why Nancy Pelosi is germane to this conversation, other than to give you a platform to express your many misplaced grievances with Democrats. We both know why the #brands are tripping over themselves to get out in front of sh*t like BLM. They see the data and they know what the demographics of the country is going to look like in ten, twenty years. They know that the 65 year old Tucker fan is going to be in the ground soon. If you want cynicism, I’m sure there’s a treasure trove pf market analysis on a bunch of hard drives at every corporation in the world right now. Virtue signaling drives profits.

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

2020: a time where everyone is offended by everything. And I for one am outraged!!! 

Seriously tho, If redskin is so offensive, then why do we call people of color, Black? Isn't that equally offensive? I think we should stop calling them black. We should probably just refer to everyone as homo sapiens. Then nobody can get sand in there vagina.

It pisses me off when people refer to me as White. Call me Whiteskin & it’s on. 

11 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I disagree. Poor wages/income inequality are not remotely ambiguous. But I’ll bow out of this debate now out of respect to the mods. Maybe I’ll see you In Da Club 

Is there a club on economics? Would love to discuss this issue in more detail 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Short answer: they’re also not doing anything about it now so I’m not entirely sure why Nancy Pelosi is germane to this conversation, other than to give you a platform to express your many misplaced grievances with Democrats. We both know why the #brands are tripping over themselves to get out in front of sh*t like BLM. They see the data and they know what the demographics of the country is going to look like in ten, twenty years. They know that the 65 year old Tucker fan is going to be in the ground soon. If you want cynicism, I’m sure there’s a treasure trove pf market analysis on a bunch of hard drives at every corporation in the world right now. Virtue signaling drives profits.

Omg so triggering!!! ... gahh.. killing me not to respond in terms of your misplaced fealty ..  lol..   i hate/love you

• Upvote 1