Will Snyder change the name?

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

He's a moron but he may not have much of a choice now if all sponsors/apparel partners bail

But apparently he made a substantial donation to Native Americans to correct the issue :) 

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I guess this is the part I explain we don’t allow politics, someone post in before the lock, someone post politics and then the thread is locked. 

i don't view racism and the use of a slur as politics.

that being said - if he's forced to change the team name, what then happens to the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Seminoles, etc.  it's the tip of the iceberg here.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Perhaps because it is not for you to decide whether or how another group should react to a name describing them?  Or if you don't like that one then perhaps because a large majority of non-native American people agree that the name is offensive?

Um what? I said I didn’t care about the name change. I do have the right to be confused about something, just because I am not in the minority group doesn’t mean I am not allowed to contemplate the issue. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, PS17 said:

You gotta love Nike saying the name Redskins is unacceptable while they pay slave wages in sweat shops in third world countries. 

790 million dollar loss this year for them too. Not great Bob!

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i don't view racism and the use of a slur as politics.

that being said - if he's forced to change the team name, what then happens to the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Seminoles, etc.  it's the tip of the iceberg here.

It's not a slur. Why would someone call themselves a slur, comedic value? 

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I guess this is the part I explain we don’t allow politics, someone post in before the lock, someone post politics and then the thread is locked. 

I’d argue that a team name that happens to be a racial slur is not inherently politics. I agree, however that some people will use this as a platform for their political agendas. As such, we need to throw poopies at them.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

https://twitter.com/skysportsnfl/status/1278939027501129728?s=21

The name absolutely should be changed since it is a derogatory term. I doubt Snyder will ever listen. 

I’m not educated on the term redskin enough to comment. So I’ll ask, is the name really offensive or is it offensive because the media said it’s offensive.  

Im watching how this is unfolding and some of the names of things should be changed, they represent a time that is long gone but some of the other stuff just seems like piling on for the sake of being offended. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Redskins is the only term (of these) that was used as derogatory. Tribe name as ranks are a bit different, seeing that half the tribe names were used to name so much more than teams. That said, the mascots might need altering. I’d defer to the disenfranchised. As a white guy, it’s not my call. I’m certainly not in the camp of snowflaking it because change makes me angry. Do what is right by those that are impacted. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It's not a slur. Why would someone call themselves a slur, comedic value? 

I commend you for going up against the wave of virtue signaling. It's a no win proposition against the horde. Good luck. I'll stick with being an absurdist and see if that gets through to anyone.

I may believe the "Redskins" is definitely over that line of everyone's soft sensibilities on what is offensive these days and can see their point, I'm just not that easily offended and haven't fetishised my offense like many have these days.

Living in Syracuse for quite a few years in the past, I remember when Syracuse went from the Orangemen to the Orange.  God forbid we offend the Northern Irish. I'm half Irish half Puerto Rican, lineage from county Donegal in the north I wasn't offended.

Kudos to SU for being a decade plus ahead of the social curve, now they don't have to deal with the bad press for disparaging the Irish. Notre Dame is next I guess. >.<

I'm waiting for vegans to go after animal themes and arborists to go after vegetation themes.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I desk in user/customer research. Do you know how easy it is to build bias into a poll? Almost as easy as finding confirmation of your bias in the internet.

That said, I’m sure some generations of Native Americans don’t care. My grandfather did. That’s enough for me.

• Upvote 3