Will Snyder change the name?

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

doesnt require a "statistical expert" to record a y or n from a phone call. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

plz explain the statistical expertise required to conduct a team mascot poll based off of a yes or no question.

Poll design. Participant recruitment questions and qualifiers. It’s quite easy to tilt a poll towards a bias, that’s why my research team rarely uses them. If not designed from an unbiased point to if view, the results are about as meaningful as NPS scores.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Sorry, go sign up for a research methods class. I am not here to teach you how things work.  

?

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

"research methods"

After that, take a class in honest debate tactics.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

lol. The results of a yes/no poll are flawed due to the statistical nuances you must learn from a masters level research methods class. Thanks for sharing.

No, but thanks for reducing it to a lame brain level of simplicity to rebuke the relevancy of his replies. A perfect deflection from your ignorance on the topic.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You took the conversation sideways. I figure if you’re that bothered that you took it a different direction, better to ignore me. Just trying to be peaceful, and avoid deflection or generalized arguments, not avoiding anything. Do as you want, it was a suggestion.

Cool ... No worries I'm not easily bothered just thought the topic was broader than the Redskins team name by itself.

I don't get offended by words... I like a good edgy joke. If other people have seriously bigoted views that go beyond humor and want to disparage me for superficial reasons such as race or class that's unfortunate and is their problem and their loss as a human being. 

If all we are discussing is the Redskins name yeah let their fans hit them in the wallet and change the name. I think the fans should vote with their dollars. If you want to join them in advocacy of that cause cool.

Other posters who are more crass I meet with a more crass tone as I enjoy a good troll game and a bit of old fashioned internet blood sport. 

we can leave it at that ?.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts on the potential name changes:

Warriors:  Washington Warriors sounds cool but it would kind of take away from the rivalry against the Cowboys, which is one of the biggest rivalries in NFL history.  "Cowboys vs Warriors" doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.  Warriors is also 3 syllables so that changes things quite a bit. 

Federals: Another nice sounding name but it was already used in the USFL.

Generals: Could a pro team really use "Washington Generals", considering how they're known for losing to the Globetrotters?  ("I thought the Generals were due!")

Can I think the Redskins name should be changed, yet still say I’m beginning to get offended by people expecting me to be offended by every single thing that offends them?

Am I also allowed to say the  suddenly popular need to dox or cancel every single person who isn’t up to other people’s standard of “Woke” or fits a perceived “Karen” persona seems offensive to me also?

Am I also allowed to say that when someone with my political leanings starts to wonder about things like this, I’m pretty sure I’m not alone?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

'25 Yankees were 69-85. Future Yankees fans were Pirate fans in that year. Who, OBTW, we need to look at their name too.

Thank you Scott. It's clear I was trying to be as scientifically accurate as possible in that post so the peer review really helps.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Cool ... No worries I'm not easily bothered just thought the topic was broader than the Redskins team name by itself.

I don't get offended by words... I like a good edgy joke. If other people have seriously bigoted views that go beyond humor and want to disparage me for superficial reasons such as race or class that's unfortunate and is their problem and their loss as a human being. 

If all we are discussing is the Redskins name yeah let their fans hit them in the wallet and change the name. I think the fans should vote with their dollars. If you want to join them in advocacy of that cause cool.

Other posters who are more crass I meet with a more crass tone as I enjoy a good troll game and a bit of old fashioned internet blood sport. 

we can leave it at that ?.

Yea, all I’m saying is specific to the skins. Broader generalize arguments that extrapolate to other cancel movements don’t apply. I don’t fall into ranks like most people do. I look at things on a individual basis.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I haven't read this whole thread but how has Notre Dame Fighting Irish never brought up?  I'm calling it now that they'll eventually be the "Notre Dame Irish".

Not really and I was always under the impression the nickname came from one of the Union's Irish brigades in the Civil War; as in it's not rooted in an epithet. The cartoon leprechaun is probably another matter.

46 minutes ago, slats said:

This thread is getting into the danger zone. 

Keep the politics out of it. There's a little BLM club you can opt into if you can't help yourself. 

This site is so racist. The "little" blm club.

Yes massa.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Washington Reds (logo is a capital "R") but we can't stop there:

The Minnesota Vikings need a name change too, Vikings were brutally abusive conquerors who would capture women and children and sell them into slavery. 

New England Patriots has to go too, all 13 colonies employed slaves.

Dallas Cowboys, they are part of the group who drove off and killed the native Americans referred to in Washington.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, those are pirates who raped and murdered innocents on the high seas.

Kansas City Chiefs, see Washington Redskins, shouldn't be glorifying a defeated and eliminated indigenous people.

Las Vegas Raiders, see Tampa Bay Buccaneers, criminals of the oceans.

Buffalo Bills, see Redskins and Chiefs, Buffalo Bill was a notorious hunter who slaughtered Indians.

If we're going to do this, let's do it right.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I'm really shocked that anyone would defend such behavior, no matter the time frame. 

The owner was a racist, plain and simple. From the article I linked above... 

'As for integrating his team, Marshall said that many fans preferred watching white players and would reject the Redskins if they had a black player.

In contrast to other N.F.L. owners, Marshall “did not pretend there were no blacks good enough to make his team,” Andy Piascik wrote in “Gridiron Gauntlet: The Story of the Men Who Integrated Pro Football in Their Own Words.” “Unlike the others, he was honest enough to admit that he simply didn’t want them around.”'

Dude was a flat out racist who was specifically marketing his team to the south. Very little doubt that he gave himself a chuckle when he changed the team's name from Braves to Redskins. 

And oh, for the record, the rest of the NFL had integrated by 1955. The 'Skins held out until 1962. 

A glorious history that must be preserved, according to some. Sort of like southerners who name their schools after Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was a slave dealer and illiterate. Only in Ameriker.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Poll design. Participant recruitment questions and qualifiers. It’s quite easy to tilt a poll towards a bias, that’s why my research team rarely uses them. If not designed from an unbiased point to if view, the results are about as meaningful as NPS scores.

Maybe I'm naive, but I dont see WAPO conducting a poll with an integrated bias favoring the name. Hard to believe that was the outcome they were looking for.

• Upvote 1

he has no choice

hold off on black lives matter for a minute, the native americans were the indigenous people on this very land we live on long before black lives mattered or white people had privilege.

the real injustices in this country, in addition to all of the other ones, start and end with its indigenous people.

6 minutes ago, Arsis said:

https://study.com/academy/topic/research-methods-in-industrial-organizational-psychology.html

Anyone with at least a puny master's degree in anything that does any type of studies has taken classes on research methods and design. You want to ensure it has validity and reliability and you want to reduce bias.

Yes thanks I know. Congrats on the degree.I’m just curious how you all know this specific poll was inherently biased. 

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Maybe I'm naive, but I dont see WAPO conducting a poll with an integrated bias favoring the name. Hard to believe that was the outcome they were looking for.

Depends which side of the propaganda war they are on, fox news would, msnbc wouldn't and each echo chamber would celebrate their victory wildly

Just now, southtown24th said:

he has no choice

hold off on black lives matter for a minute, the native americans were the indigenous people on this very land we live on long before black lives mattered or white people had privilege.

the real injustices in this country, in addition to all of the other ones, start and end with its indigenous people.

Many Native American tribes practiced some form of slavery before the European introduction of African slavery into North America.[1][2]

Native American groups often enslaved war captives, whom they primarily used for small-scale labor.[1][2] Others however would stake themselves in gambling situations when they had nothing else, which would put them into servitude for a short time, or in some cases for life; captives were also sometimes tortured as part of religious rites, and these sometimes involved ritual cannibalism.[1][4] During times of famine some Native Americans would also temporarily sell their children to obtain food.[1]

History shows one thing the human race isn't always nice to the human race..

• Thumb Down 2

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

that's right.  Go after little kids.

CTM’s staple diet during the summer is those little baggies of psychedelic mushrooms he buys at Phish shows. Given that there aren’t any Phish shows going on, he’s probably emaciated at this point. @predator_05 works out six days a week and; even though he’s all beach muscles, is a far more equitable matchup for me.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

CTM’s staple diet during the summer is those little baggies of psychedelic mushrooms he buys at Phish shows. Given that there aren’t any Phish shows going on, he’s probably emaciated at this point. @predator_05 works out six days a week and; even though he’s all beach muscles, is a far more equitable matchup for me.

You ******* WHORE

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hilarious lol

5 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Many Native American tribes practiced some form of slavery before the European introduction of African slavery into North America.[1][2]

Native American groups often enslaved war captives, whom they primarily used for small-scale labor.[1][2] Others however would stake themselves in gambling situations when they had nothing else, which would put them into servitude for a short time, or in some cases for life; captives were also sometimes tortured as part of religious rites, and these sometimes involved ritual cannibalism.[1][4] During times of famine some Native Americans would also temporarily sell their children to obtain food.[1]

History shows one thing the human race isn't always nice to the human race..

good story.

don't care.

using a racial slur as an NFL team name, let alone a racial slur for the indigenous people of this land is a real problem...and now it's going to change as a result of it being a real problem.

no one said indigenous people were perfect....just said a racial slur shouldn't be the name of a professional sports team.

nice attempt.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Redskins is pretty bad, especially since they changed from "Braves".

But this will set a countdown to Cowboys being offensive....then Knicks, Celtics, Patriots, Saints, Vikings, etc.