Joey Bosa Megadeal

SR24

12 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Wow. Edge rushers are being overpaid. 

He is one of the few players in the league that can directly effect the outcome of games. Offenses must game plan for him and adjust their schemes accordingly. These type of players are in their own category and deserve to be paid accordingly.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

He is one of the few players in the league that can directly effect the outcome of games. Offenses must game plan for him and adjust their schemes accordingly. These type of players are in their own category and deserve to be paid accordingly.

I’m curious to see what the analytics community says about the contract. I can’t go in as deep as they can. But here goes.

The Chargers went 5-11 last year despite having a better roster than the Jets. If you look at their wins, they pretty much all came when Phillip Rivers played like a top 10 QB.

Using QBR as a metric. The QBRs of top 10 QBs are 60+. So I’ll use 60 as a cutoff of Rivers playing like a top 10 QB.

Record In 2019, when Rivers had a QBR of 60+ => 3-1. Record below, 2-10.

In 2018, Bosa was injured most of the season.

In 2017, the Chargers went 9-7. In games when Rivers played like a top 10 QB => 6-3. Otherwise => 2-5.

The Chargers over the last two season when Bosa played a complete year, won and loss depending how good Rivers played.

As Jets fans, we’ve rightfully argued against paying Jamal because of the lack of wins. The Chargers are 4-15 when Rivers doesn’t play like a top QB over Bosa’s last two complete years. It’s all about the QB.

Im not saying Bosa shouldn’t be the highest paid edge. I’m arguing The best edge rushers should not be getting paid QB money.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I’m curious to see what the analytics community says about the contract. I can’t go in as deep as they can. But here goes.

The Chargers went 5-11 last year despite having a better roster than the Jets. If you look at their wins, they pretty much all came when Phillip Rivers played like a top 10 QB.

Using QBR as a metric. The QBRs of top 10 QBs are 60+. So I’ll use 60 as a cutoff of Rivers playing like a top 10 QB.

Record In 2019, when Rivers had a QBR of 60+ => 3-1. Record below, 2-10.

In 2018, Bosa was injured most of the season.

In 2017, the Chargers went 9-7. In games when Rivers played like a top 10 QB => 6-3. Otherwise => 2-5.

The Chargers over the last two season when Bosa played a complete year, won and loss depending how good Rivers played.

As Jets fans, we’ve rightfully argued against paying Jamal because of the lack of wins. The Chargers are 4-15 when Rivers doesn’t play like a top QB over Bosa’s last two complete years. It’s all about the QB.

Im not saying Bosa shouldn’t be the highest paid edge. I’m arguing The best edge rushers should not be getting paid QB money.

This is such a great point. Good coaches attack weaknesses. Mo Wilk was a beast against sh*tty QBs, does anyone remember Mo Wilkerson personally affecting the Patriots offense? I certainly can't remember. I'm not here to say Bosa isnt any good or that he deserved a renegotiated contract, I'm just saying the contract they gave him is RIDICULOUS! They went 5-11. So, if they don't hit on every single draft pick they are f*cked. 

A great offense will always find a way vs an average defense & giving him that contract WILL make them an average defense. Or should we say paper thin. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

By what criteria. Edge rushers impact on seasons is WAY overrated IMO. 

You have to account for them on the field at all times.  The Jets haven't had a top-end EDGE rusher since 2005, and its shown up in the results.  There are limits on how much you can scheme your way to a pass rush.  Rex learned that the hard way.

And as a result, every year we've made QBs like Matt Barkley look like a Pro Bowler because they've had all day to throw.

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

It’s stupid. W a cap how do you win giving this much to one player. I guess they figure they have 5 free QB years w Herbert ? Whatevs I guess

Exactly.  Bosa gets the QB money until its time to pay Herbert.  IF Herbert works out, that is.  

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Record In 2019, when Rivers had a QBR of 60+ => 3-1. Record below, 2-10....

....In 2017, the Chargers went 9-7. In games when Rivers played like a top 10 QB => 6-3. Otherwise => 2-5.

....won and loss depending how good [QB] Rivers played.

.....I’m arguing The best edge rushers should not be getting paid QB money.

Okay, but what if we turn that around and say that the reason Rivers didn't play well in those games where his QBR < 60 was that the other team had a great pass rusher who sacked him and forced him into making checkdowns and bad passes?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Money like this for 5-11......... :( 

As the Pirates said to the late Great Ralph Kinner, "You want a raise and we finished last  -- we can finish last without you!"

Phillip Rivers' 23 TD/20 INT ratio last season was why they went 5-11.

The team went 12-4 the previous season and 9-7 in 2017.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Money like this for 5-11......... :( 

As the Pirates said to the late Great Ralph Kinner, "You want a raise and we finished last  -- we can finish last without you!"

One of my favorite baseball stories about negotiating tactics is one told about Curt Flood.  He went into the office of the St. Cardinals GM and asked for a raise.  The GM pointed to Stan Musial (through the window)  who was snagging balls in the outfield. "Did you know that the great Stan Musial only makes only 50,000 dollars?  Do you know what that means?"

"Yes.  It means that Mr. Musial is very underpaid!"

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yes, Nick is better than Joey.  But Joey is still elite.  40 sacks, 82 QB Hits, 53 TFLs and 5 FFs over 4 seasons (51 games).  That's elite production.

Also paying elite money for a guy who has missed 20% of the games since he has been in the league.

You can argue he played every game in 2 of his 4 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Also paying elite money for a guy who has missed 20% of the games since he has been in the league.

You can argue he played every game in 2 of his 4 seasons. 

It's fair to look at his injury history and bake it into what you perceive his value to be. 

I'd still take elite edge rush productivity for what averages out to 12-13 games a season for that money.