2021 NFL Draft - Impact of No College Football

JetsLife

I read somewhere this was one actual/purported reason Seattle made the Adams trade. That there was a good possibility of no college football in 2020 - making the 2021 draft a much riskier proposition than normal.

Conversely, there's the risk the 2020 NFL season could be cancelled if there are major outbreaks - then Seattle is screwed. 

That trade aside, no college football in 2020 will have any number of effects on the 2021 draft. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hence why its also very important that Douglas got a 2022 first rounder out of the deal as well.

Would I rather have taken the deal from Dallas and have CeeDee Lamb right now?  Absolutely.  Was this a fine consolation gift?  Of course.

.....And McDougle who I've heard is actually better then Jamal Adams if you carry the noun, subtract the fraction and then add the neutron. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hence why its also very important that Douglas got a 2022 first rounder out of the deal as well.

how do we know there will CFB in 2022?

serious question

the Spanish flu took 3 years to burn out globally

history doesn't repeat but it often rhymes 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

I like it. 

It would be the best opportunity any if these startup leagues have ever had to truly develop a relationship with the NFL as a feeder system.  Obviously wouldn't stay like that forever, but man what a jump start.

• Upvote 1

1st round picks will be more valuable than ever (relative to picks in other rounds) if there is no CFB...  Hit rate gpa between a high and a low round pick will be magnified.   Will they be riskier than 1sts in other years? Yes, but the NFL is on a timeline... you can’t afford to just “skip” a draft because you don’t have as much tape as previous years. 

Seems to me that with less tape and information on prospects, the chances of a great player dropping to the bottom of round 1 are higher than in previous years.  People will try to spin the narrative to favor one team of the other, but when you get past the biased writing, we are going to pick twice in the top-32 picks among a group of very talented football players who will be a little rustier their rookie season than normal.  I would imagine by year 2 that won't matter a lick.

• Upvote 3

The correct move is to pay the all pro you drafted before he gets disgruntled.

Betcha cj wouldn't have opted out

Jets have great draft capital for 2021 and a global pandemic wreaks havoc to ensure the draft is even more of a crapshoot than normal. Couldn't make it up if you tried.
The Jets Jet even when they go about things correctly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If I'm Dwayne Johnson and the new XFL ownership, I'm doing everything I possibly can to start to play an indoor season in January and February with all these college players that will be NFL draft eligible in spring.

I saw Florio suggest the same thing. It's a great idea -- XFL bubble for an 8 week season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

how do we know there will CFB in 2022?

serious question

the Spanish flu took 3 years to burn out globally

history doesn't repeat but it often rhymes 

Spanish flu had 10% mortality rate and was more deadly to people in their 20's than 60-70 year olds. This has a 0% mortality rate for healthy 20 year old athletes with no underlying conditions. Might as well compare this to the bubonic plague

Gonna rely heavily on scouting. But that means great talents may fall to later picks, also means bad talents go higher than they should have. Good thing it seems like Douglas has a decent understanding of the draft. These players have been getting scouted since freshman year, I'm not too worried.

49 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Spanish flu had 10% mortality rate and was more deadly to people in their 20's than 60-70 year olds. This has a 0% mortality rate for healthy 20 year old athletes with no underlying conditions. 

Good thing those two groups never interact, right? 

59 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The correct move is to pay the all pro you drafted before he gets disgruntled.

Betcha cj wouldn't have opted out

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

How do you conflate the two? I don't think there is much if any correlation between Mosley opting out and the Jets trading Adams.

And let's not pretend like Adams wasn't acting like a spoiled brat by not getting a deal after his 3rd season - something unprecedented for just about any position, let alone a strong safety. 

Him being on the team to start the season would've been untenable after criticizing Woody and Gase. They did the correct thing when they traded him. 

Great player, but a pain in the ass malcontent.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It would be the best opportunity any if these startup leagues have ever had to truly develop a relationship with the NFL as a feeder system.  Obviously wouldn't stay like that forever, but man what a jump start.

Even if you take 4 teams of the best players in college. Stick them in a bubble and play every Sat.  

2 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

How do you conflate the two? I don't think there is much if any correlation between Mosley opting out and the Jets trading Adams.

And let's not pretend like Adams wasn't acting like a spoiled brat by not getting a deal after his 3rd season - something unprecedented for just about any position, let alone a strong safety. 

Him being on the team to start the season would've been untenable after criticizing Woody and Gase. They did the correct thing when they traded him. 

Great player, but a pain in the ass malcontent.

Of course you can conflate the two. 
it almost certainly became clear to him the Jets were tanking the season once they traded Adams. 

the writing was on the wall but the trade made it undeniable. 

Would you want to play for a team not trying to win? And when you just got a $15mm signing bonus - and you lose nothing off your contract. 

It wasn’t a coincidence that he opted out pretty much right after Adams was traded.

• Thumb Down 2

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Would I rather have taken the deal from Dallas and have CeeDee Lamb right now?  Absolutely.  Was this a fine consolation gift?  Of course.

Do you think JD would have drafted Lamb with 17? I think he would have gone for Chaisson from LSU, trade down or pick Gladney or some other CB.   Lamb would have been awesome though.

2 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Do you think JD would have drafted Lamb with 17? I think he would have gone for Chaisson from LSU, trade down or pick Gladney or some other CB.   Lamb would have been awesome though.

It would be awfully hard to turn down that kind of value at 17.  Becton and Lamb in the 1st round would have been an incredible haul.