Najee Harris RB, Alabama

Rhg1084

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Good comps (although I think Harris is a better receiver than Henry). 

Yes, agreed, no doubt.  Henry much more of a traditional power back and probably the better overall runner but Harris does give you an out of the backfield element and runs screens really well. 

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Harris is going to be good. He’s a jack of all trades and it works well in the NFL. 

There is on human on the face of the planet who thinks Najee Harris is going be a bust...

On 10/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, Paradis said:

DD46DF23-51A3-4506-923C-B612138A5306.jpeg.8c64e4d0bd2b1f85ff08b849e3aba8a0.jpeg

• Haha 1

I think how the Jets use that second pick in Round 1 (from Seattle) will go a long way to determining whether they can jumpstart the offense next year.   Best available RB or WR would be my hope.  The 22-32 range seems perfect to get a guy similar to those who went in that range in 2020....Justin Jefferson, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, jetstream23 said:

I think how the Jets use that second pick in Round 1 (from Seattle) will go a long way to determining whether they can jumpstart the offense next year.   Best available RB or WR would be my hope.  The 22-32 range seems perfect to get a guy similar to those who went in that range in 2020....Justin Jefferson, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins.

If not Etienne with that pick I think IOL talent lines up nicely there as well

• Upvote 2

On 10/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, Paradis said:

Haha I’m kidding. He’s putting together a case I can’t really argue as each week passes

8th in college in Football in yards from scrimmage, #1 in the SEC leads all RB's with 14 TD's.  He's showing out this year.   When I watching Saturday, he lined up wide a few times too, hauled in a tough grab and picked up a first and I was like, damn, dude is just putting on a show this year.

Still like Entienne better but Harris is a monster too. 

• Upvote 2

Harris is a really good football player who would step into an established situation and be successful right away. Not to say he should be doing more but he certainly benefits from playing behind an awesome OL with receivers who can stretch the field and keep defenses out of the box. Not things he’d experience year one in New York.

And I do think you have to pay a draft capital premium for that security that comes from his history of being productive on a big stage.

16 hours ago, JiF said:

8th in college in Football in yards from scrimmage, #1 in the SEC leads all RB's with 14 TD's.  He's showing out this year.   When I watching Saturday, he lined up wide a few times too, hauled in a tough grab and picked up a first and I was like, damn, dude is just putting on a show this year.

Still like Entienne better but Harris is a monster too. 

He's been a beast. Not even gonna pretend like he hasn't. My criticisms were based on 2018 vs 2019 and now he's just throwing egg in my face. Which i appreciate. With so many holes to fill, you'd think it would be easy to draft for the Jets, but in actuality, it's going to be a chess game to get the most out of our picks. Harris selling out like this is a good thing.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

He's been a beast. Not even gonna pretend like he hasn't. My criticisms were based on 2018 vs 2019 and now he's just throwing egg in my face. Which i appreciate. With so many holes to fill, you'd think it would be easy to draft for the Jets, but in actuality, it's going to be a chess game to get the most out of our picks. Harris selling out like this is a good thing.  

If the last 2 season have taught you anything (and hopefully JD has been awake) is, **** DEFENSE!!!  Yolo offense.  Seriously.  Just take offense the entire draft.   You just held the Bills to no TD's with the worst defensive talent in the league.  Develop and elite offense, build a dominate OL,  then worry about D.

As to the bold; I hear you but it really shouldnt be hard.  Seriously.  I know we joke but it's becoming real, imagine if some of us ran the draft for this team?  How good would we be?  It's so simple, yet these ****tards at the top think they need to be next level thinkers and they dont.  It's obvious where Football is going, score, score and score some more. 

That **** stick JD, could have literally, rebuilt the entire OL in 1 draft.   Becton looks great, sweet.  The rest of the line is a disaster. 

Cushenberry and Damien Lewis were both on the board  was on the board when he took Zuniga/Davis.  JCush, just got done anchoring the line of the most explosive offense in the history of the NCAA, played at LSU and he passes on him for a player who literally has never been healthy, ever, even when plays.   He hasnt missed a snap.  Lewis, played right next to him, we took worthless Ashtyn Davis.  Solomon Kindley was out there too, he hasnt missed a snap.    All monster players coming from LSU and Georgia.   Swamp those picks out, you just rebuilt your QB's blind side on the line, with studs.   How much further along is your rebuild with those moves? 

Never mind the WR's he passed on....

Legit amazes me people get paid money I'll never see in my life time to be this stupid and I could 100% do a better job, no questions asked. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JiF said:

If the last 2 season have taught you anything (and hopefully JD has been awake) is, **** DEFENSE!!!  Yolo offense.  Seriously.  Just take offense the entire draft.   You just held the Bills to no TD's with the worst defensive talent in the league.  Develop and elite offense, build a dominate OL,  then worry about D.

As to the bold; I hear you but it really shouldnt be hard.  Seriously.  I know we joke but it's becoming real, imagine if some of us ran the draft for this team?  How good would we be?  It's so simple, yet these ****tards at the top think they need to be next level thinkers and they dont.  It's obvious where Football is going, score, score and score some more. 

That **** stick JD, could have literally, rebuilt the entire OL in 1 draft.   Becton looks great, sweet.  The rest of the line is a disaster.

Never mind the WR's he passed on....

Legit amazes me people get paid money I'll never see in my life time to be this stupid and I could 100% do a better job, no questions asked. 

I was arguing this same point on twitter and elsewhere. Lith said it best somewhere too. Who cares if we can't stop a nosebleed in 2021. Not gonna run the tables anyhow -- but the most important thing has to be to do something about this offense and giving the QB (you know, the most important fcking position) the right tools. You scheme to limit your opponent from time to time.. but you can't scheme 24-31 points in today's NFL. You either have the oline and weapons to do it, or you don't. 

I don't know what the mental barrier is to just spending your first 5 picks on offense. There must be some hypnotist that comes around and puts these static notions in the minds of GMs. lord knows we've done that with defense. Last year's selection of Mims was only the 3rd time in 20 years that we took a WR in the second round... TWENTY YEARS... we still haven't taken a WR in the first since Santana Moss. That's a name some JN posters don't even know because of few of them weren't even born yet. 

It's not hard. take your QB, and then load of up on Weapons and Tackles/Guards

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I was arguing this same point on twitter and elsewhere. Lith said it best somewhere too. Who cares if we can't stop a nosebleed in 2021. Not gonna run the tables anyhow -- but the most important thing has to be to do something about this offense and giving the QB (you know, the most important fcking position) the right tools. You scheme to limit your opponent from time to time.. but you can't scheme 24-31 points in today's NFL. You either have the oline and weapons to do it, or you don't. 

I don't know what the mental barrier is to just spending your first 5 picks on offense. There must be some hypnotist that comes around and puts these static notions in the minds of GMs. lord knows we've done that with defense. Last year's selection of Mims was only the 3rd time in 20 years that we took a WR in the second round... TWENTY YEARS... we still haven't taken a WR in the first since Santana Moss. That's a name some JN posters don't even know because of few of them weren't even born yet. 

Yup.  Dont care if we give up 30+ points a game next year, we need to build an offense that can score.  And one that can do it with explosive big plays.  Which is why I prefer Etienne to Harris -- I think he is more of a home run hitter -- better burst/explosivness than Harris.  I like Harris too and would not complain if we took him, but we need big play threats.

No more of this bs offense designed to get into 3rd and manageable.  Good offenses score points by making big plays on 1st or 2nd down.  We are happy with a 3 yard run between the tackles on first down and a 5 yard pass on 2nd down.  Hey, 3rd and short, right where we want to be.  Except you can't make a living by converting 4 or 5 3rd downs to score points.  Eventually you are going to get stopped.  Penalty, sack, tfl and we are done. 

That is why we only score 1 TD per game, how many times per game can you string together 3 or 4 consecutive 3rd down conversions to finish a scoring drive.  That was 1970s football.  Adam Gase, caoching to where the game has been.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

100%, well said.  

I get the allure of a lock down corner or an edge rusher and there is always going to be an exception to the rule.  If a Miles Garret/Chase Young or Denzel Ward/Jalen Ramsey are sitting there, I get it but otherwise, **** that and even then I'd probably look to trade out if it were the corners. 

Yolo offense until you can score 35pts a game.  How many games now are decided by "who has the ball last"?  Guess what you need at that time?  A dominate OL and playmakers.  It's the only way it gets done.  Hopefully Mims/Becton are a step in that direction but I just have a hard time letting that excuse Davis/Zuniga with an opportunity to literally be a player away from a completely rebuilt dominate OL.  And I know it's early but come'on, the days of needing 2/3 years in this league have been gone for a while now.  If you're not flashing early and getting snaps early, you're not long for the NFL.  And you have to think about that when you draft.  You have to be intentional and have a plan for how to work those players in....especially when you're a team like the Jets that is talent deprived.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Dont care if we give up 30+ points a game next year, we need to build an offense that can score.  And one that can do it with explosive big plays.  Which is why I prefer Etienne to Harris -- I think he is more of a home run hitter -- better burst/explosivness than Harris.  I like Harris too and would not complain if we took him, but we need big play threats.

No more of this bs offense designed to get into 3rd and manageable.  Good offenses score points by making big plays on 1st or 2nd down.  We are happy with a 3 yard run between the tackles on first down and a 5 yard pass on 2nd down.  Hey, 3rd and short, right where we want to be.  Except you can't make a living by converting 4 or 5 3rd downs to score points.  Eventually you are going to get stopped.  Penalty, sack, tfl and we are done. 

That is why we only score 1 TD per game, how many times per game can you string together 3 or 4 consecutive 3rd down conversions to finish a scoring drive.  That was 1970s football.  Adam Gase, caoching to where the game has been.

Agreed.   

However, think Harris can hit some big ones though.  He's got a few 40 yarders under him.  This was also a knock on Henry and he makes big plays.  That said, I would definitely pair him with a game breaker, like Chase Edmonds type.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

100%, well said.  

I get the allure of a lock down corner or an edge rusher and there is always going to be an exception to the rule.  If a Miles Garret/Chase Young or Denzel Ward/Jalen Ramsey are sitting there, I get it but otherwise, **** that and even then I'd probably look to trade out if it were the corners. 

Yolo offense until you can score 35pts a game.  How many games now are decided by "who has the ball last"?  Guess what you need at that time?  A dominate OL and playmakers.  It's the only way it gets done.  Hopefully Mims/Becton are a step in that direction but I just have a hard time letting that excuse Davis/Zuniga with an opportunity to literally be a player away from a completely rebuilt dominate OL.  And I know it's early but come'on, the days of needing 2/3 years in this league have been gone for a while now.  If you're not flashing early and getting snaps early, you're not long for the NFL.  And you have to think about that when you draft.  You have to be intentional and have a plan for how to work those players in....especially when you're a team like the Jets that is talent deprived.  

#Truth

And when you consider names like Devin Duvernay, Josh Jones, Damien Lewis, Bryan Edwards, Cushenberry, Jonah Jackson etc were all available - it makes those Zuniga/Davis picks pretty laughable... how the fck is the team benefitting from those selections presently... cause Devin Duvernay would be a household fantasy name at this point if he was in green and white 

• Upvote 1

cause Devin Duvernay would be a household fantasy name at this point if he was in green and white 

Why's that?  Because he'd be on the field more than he has been in Baltimore?  He'd just be another open receiver Darnold would be missing.

I'm not saying Duvernay isn't going to be a very good WR and would have been a bad pick to make.  But he wouldn't be a "household name" here this season.  No one would.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why's that?  Because he'd be on the field more than he has been in Baltimore?  He'd just be another open receiver Darnold would be missing.

I'm not saying Duvernay isn't going to be a very good WR and would have been a bad pick to make.  But he wouldn't be a "household name" here this season.  No one would.

its hyperbole for the sake of making a point about his would-be snap count. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

#Truth

And when you consider names like Devin Duvernay, Josh Jones, Damien Lewis, Bryan Edwards, Cushenberry, Jonah Jackson etc were all available - it makes those Zuniga/Davis picks pretty laughable... how the fck is the team benefitting from those selections presently... cause Devin Duvernay would be a household fantasy name at this point if he was in green and white 

Exactly.   We talked well before this draft that it presented an opportunity to get healthy on offense.  It was deep at WR and OL, and considering the massive needs at those positions we assumed those positions would have been addressed with a little more urgency via the draft.   I’ve always felt you can never address every need in a given draft, but rather you should focus on a couple position groups and try to go heavy on those.   Aside from the players you listed above, I still don’t see the logic in the James Morgan pick either.  Even if Sam didn’t work out, you are going to have to draft another QB in 2021 anyway, you wasted a 4th round pick on a 3rd team QB that maybe becomes QB2?   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Lith said:

I’d also add that offense seems to be much more talent driven than defense. Defenses absolutely need premium players, particularly pass rushers and corners as said elsewhere in here. But despite the never-ending run of disappointing interior defensive linemen drafted in the top ten, the Jets have constantly managed to have strong DL play from a litany of late round picks, UDFA’s, and waiver pickups. Several talented off ball linebackers have emerged with the injuries to/absences of Mosley and Williamson. And teams find quality safeties in the mid rounds frequently because instincts are so much more important than the measurables that push guys up at that position.

Moreover, I think defense is so culture driven. Baltimore just churns out linebackers, who the Jets later sign, and constantly has someone ready to replace them. Frequently they don’t invest premium picks - draft, have adequate depth, develop, let guys step in, and accumulate comp picks. 

The Jets historically just plug holes because they don’t have the luxury of making those kinds of picks. I do think Douglas started in that direction last draft and, while this year is gross, I do think that uncompromising nature towards building the right way is good if he’s given time and can hit on a couple of picks.

All of that said, absolutely need to just YOLO offense for a bit. I’d also add that the way the Bengals are doing it this year is interesting. Terrible defense, need to throw a lot, let your young guy develop. I don’t think players learn from needing to protect a 17-14 lead and avoid crippling mistakes. Just go out, end the game 38-34, hope you were the more efficient team in the red zone that day, get a bunch of reps, and learn from the interception that isn’t magnified from being in a low scoring game.

The other thing I’d add is the Chiefs’ build is interesting because they got the offense cooking and then just started going in on pass rushers. We’ll get a lead, then get after your quarterback enough to force some mistakes once you’re forced to throw. That’s the direction I’d like to see the Jets go. Couple years on offense then heavy on the pass rush. Try to keep a steady stream of late rounders elsewhere, high character dudes, and build a culture on defense in the meantime.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.   We talked well before this draft that it presented an opportunity to get healthy on offense.  It was deep at WR and OL, and considering the massive needs at those positions we assumed those positions would have been addressed with a little more urgency via the draft.   I’ve always felt you can never address every need in a given draft, but rather you should focus on a couple position groups and try to go heavy on those.   Aside from the players you listed above, I still don’t see the logic in the James Morgan pick either.  Even if Sam didn’t work out, you are going to have to draft another QB in 2021 anyway, you wasted a 4th round pick on a 3rd team QB that maybe becomes QB2?   

4th round picked QB's can, and have, become effective starters in the NFL.  Cousins and Dak Prescott being 2 recent examples.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Quite the contrarian this week, are we. 

On this point at least I don't see it that way.  I've been consistent in saying you should continue adding QB's in the draft until you have one, and the criticism over the Morgan pick seems silly until we get an idea of what kind of upside he has.  

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

On this point at least I don't see it that way.  I've been consistent in saying you should continue adding QB's in the draft until you have one, and the criticism over the Morgan pick seems silly until we get an idea of what kind of upside he has.  

So when is he supposed to play exactly?   He wasn’t playing this year, as this was Darnold’s make or break season, he most likely isn’t playing next year as there will be a new highly drafted QB here.  When are we going to find this upside?   I just don’t find the value in him.   

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So when is he supposed to play exactly?   He wasn’t playing this year, as this was Darnold’s make or break season, he most likely isn’t playing next year as there will be a new highly drafted QB here.  When are we going to find this upside?   I just don’t find the value in him.   

I look at the Morgan pick as a hedge.  Nobody could have expected that we would be this bad this season.  Even if JD was not sold on Darnold coming into the season, I don't think he, or anyone else, foresaw a likely top 3 pick this year.  So he used a 4th round pick on a developmental QB.  Best case scenario, Darnold balled out and we would have a cheap back up after a year in the system.  Or if Sam flamed out, we would have a guy who could compete with him and/or a vet next year. 

Turn the clock back 2 months ago, none of us saw Lawrence/Fields as realistic options (at least I didn't).

• Upvote 1