Denzel Mims & La’Mical Perine look good. so why do the jets keep ignoring them ? ? ?

kelly

23 hours ago, kelly said:

Every time Denzel Mims and La’Mical Perine touch the football, the Jets’ offensive future looks a little brighter. The rookie receiver and running back have proven that they can produce in limited roles, yet as soon as the second half begins they’ve been given fewer opportunities despite the overall struggles of the team.

From a pure development standpoint, this strategy makes no sense for the Jets.

In three games this season, Mims turned 18 targets into 10 receptions for 146 yards. He’s the first Jets receiver to tally at least 40 yards in his first three games and at least 140 over his first three games since Keyshawn Johnson in 1996. He’s been electric and posted a team-high 14.6 yards per reception with a healthy 4.4 yards after catch mark. Adam Gase raved about him this week, too, refusing to put a ceiling on his abilities.

“The sky’s the limit. We just got to keep bringing him along,” Gase said, according to Newsday.  “We’ve got to find ways to give him opportunities and see what he can do.”

But as soon as the second half hits, Mims never sees the ball: only three of his 18 targets have come after halftime. Why would the Jets shy away from arguably their most consistent playmaker in a crucial part of the game?

Part of the problem is likely second-half adjustments, something the Jets have struggled with all season long and especially when Dowell Loggains took over play-calling duties from Gase. When the Bills switched cornerback Tre’Davious White onto Mims midway through Week 7, he struggled to gain much separation. The Jets also seem to be more risk-averse in the second half and have taken fewer chances with their play-calling, hence their limited production at the end of games. Mims, to his credit, took some of the blame for his poor second-half showings.“I think it’s my fault that the ball is not moving,” he said. “I try to ask myself, ‘What can I do more? What can I do to make sure to try and get the ball moving? I’m going to try to do everything I can to help us get the ball moving in the second half.”

Perine has seen a similar pattern emerge early in his Jets career. When Le’Veon Bell went on injured reserve and was released soon after, Perine should have absorbed a sizable portion of that workload. Instead, Gase rolled with 37-year-old Frank Gore. Perine’s snap share wavered between 40-50 percent every week – with one 70-percent game in the middle – but that never equated to more touches. Much like Mims, Perine also saw a significant drop in touches in the second half, with only eight of his 42 touches since Week 6 coming in the third and fourth quarters. Perine hasn’t done a lot with his touches – he’s tallied just 153 total yards and a rushing touchdown since Week 6 – but he’s also had eight fewer touches than Gore. It’s possible Perine’s usage will increase as the season progresses, but unless he sees more touches in the second half, it’s hard to imagine he’ll develop enough to be properly evaluated.

The Jets’ development strategy seems to be to limit their rookies’ opportunities to showcase their ability. Mims proved he could be a stud wideout with a couple of sensational catches in the past two weeks. Perine looks elusive out of the backfield and has been just as efficient as Gore on fewer rushing attempts. The Jets have looked much better in the first half than they have in the second half in their last three games, so maybe feeding their rookies might change thatThere’s no obvious reason why the Jets neglect their rookies in the second half of games other than they don’t want to rush their young players into big roles too early in their careers. While the sentiment is nice, it’s flawed considering the Jets have no direction in another lost season. It would make more sense to throw Mims and Perine into the fire now, let them make a lot of mistakes when the season doesn’t matter and give them time to learn from those errors and build more successful careers in the coming years.

Things could change in the final seven games of the season, but for now, the Jets are giving more looks at aging veterans and journeymen than the futures of their franchise.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/11/denzel-mims-lamical-perine-look-good-why-do-jets-keep-ignoring-them-second-half/

1aa7c6c844865c3ec252b61aca94a2b2.jpg

Because we are coaching where football is going

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

So based on that criteria , I guess Christian Mccaffery sucks - amirite.

Injuries are up all around the NFL, with no PS  games, covid protocols and the tissue soft CBA it was bound to happen. 

Who said he sucks? All I said was it's early to be calling this draft class a success.

Do you think Becton would be a success if he played in only 2/3 of the games?

In 9 games he's been injured twice, two instances.  You don't think there's reason to be concerned?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, there you go again basing things on potential.  We've seen nothing from him to say he is at minimum a strong #2.  He hasn't made dominating plays.  Great catches.  

Are you claiming that his potential is bigger because he's missed 6 games with two different injuries?

The good news is he's caught everything that's hit him in the hands/chest.  So there's that.   But other than that, we haven't seen much.  

If you want to make him a star because of 10 catches in 3 games, so be it.  I'll wait until I see something worthy of that claim.

I e more time.  Almost every draftee is being talked about off their potential.  
Im basing your insidious on bringing up his numbers through 3 games after missing camp and 3/4 of the games played in this offense as pointless, and being whiney, yea I do

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I e more time.  Almost every draftee is being talked about off their potential.  
Im basing your insidious on bringing up his numbers through 3 games after missing camp and 3/4 of the games played in this offense as pointless, and being whiney, yea I do

If you're not looking at his numbers what are you looking at to say he's shown he's already at a minimum a strong #2.

You could have said that the day of the draft as your thoughts on his potential and that's fine, but nothing's happened this season to make that statement any more or less true.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you're not looking at his numbers what are you looking at to say he's shown he's already at a minimum a strong #2.

You could have said that the day of the draft as your thoughts on his potential and that's fine, but nothing's happened this season to make that statement any more or less true.

The games.  

I don't see anything great in Mims game yet.  

So far, I don't see  shifty-ness and explosion compared other rookies his size like Laviska or Claypool.

Nor do I see any consistent dominant physicality like Deebo or Sutton in their rookie years.

I'm afraid Mims might be a tweener.  Not physically dominant enough to reach a WR1 level like Deebo/Arob/Golladay and not shifty enough to be that special YAC guy like Claypool/Shenault.  That might be why he dropped so much in the draft.

My NFL comp so far to him is Mohamed Sanu.  Mims needs to step up his game next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Mims’ hands look good so far, the most important attribute for a receiver. Catch radius looks good, routes look decent. He doesn’t appear to be very explosive to me. Hopefully that will come as he gets more playing time and starts thinking less.

Pee-rine is a backup caliber RB or maybe someone that can be part of a committee. He doesn’t look to have any special skills or talent. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Mims’ hands look good so far, the most important attribute for a receiver. Catch radius looks good, routes look decent. He doesn’t appear to be very explosive to me. Hopefully that will come as he gets more playing time and starts thinking less.

Pee-rine is a backup caliber RB or maybe someone that can be part of a committee. He doesn’t look to have any special skills or talent. 

Agreed, but those guys are handy. Look at the Pats when they had all 3 of Michel, Burkhead & White. I’d like to see that here with Etienne or Harris, Perine & Ty (let’s see some more of him). 

Who said he sucks? All I said was it's early to be calling this draft class a success.

In 9 games he's been injured twice, two instances.  You don't think there's reason to be concerned?

Yes, based on what he has done when in the lineup , he's been a success.

Injuries are part of the sport , doubly so in this crazy covid no PS games 2020 environment. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Do you think that a rookie who's been injured translates to one that will be injured for 2/3rds of his career?

That has what to do with his talent and that JD drafted him at 11?  Espcially since he didnt have an injury history? 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes, based on what he has done when in the lineup , he's been a success.

Injuries are part of the sport , doubly so in this crazy covid no PS games 2020 environment. 

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Do you think that a rookie who's been injured translates to one that will be injured for 2/3rds of his career?

That has what to do with his talent and that JD drafted him at 11?  Espcially since he didnt have an injury history? 

This is true, but acting like the injuries will be a problem going forward makes at least as much sense at calling him a "perennial 10 year pro bowler"

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is true, but acting like the injuries will be a problem going forward makes at least as much sense at calling him a "perennial 10 year pro bowler"

Not really.

You look around the NFL, there seems to be a lot of players injured.  I would expect a lot of it has to do with no real offseason, a different type of camp, no preseason games etc.  Seems like its taken its toll on a lot of players.

I'm judging the comment on what I've seen when he is on the field, not what he is when hes not on the field.  The guy has been dominant when out on the field, against some damn good players.  I said he looks like a perennial pro bowler, dont think I said 10 years, a long termer

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, but I'm not already proclaiming him a stud.  I'm just saying it's too early to do so.  It's clear he can be a dominant player - but missing 3 our 9 games with two separate injuries is reason for concern.  Once again, you can put your head in the sand, I don't mind.  But I won't.

I like him, am excited about his potential, hope this is just bad luck and he won't be injury prone, but it's just not a good start.

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No, but I'm not already proclaiming him a stud.  I'm just saying it's too early to do so.  It's clear he can be a dominant player - but missing 3 our 9 games with two separate injuries is reason for concern.  Once again, you can put your head in the sand, I don't mind.  But I won't.

I like him, am excited about his potential, hope this is just bad luck and he won't be injury prone, but it's just not a good start.

You cant draw any conclusion over injuries, especially this season as crazy as it is.  Its not my head in the sand its watching football, sports for years.  Ive seen way too many who are injured a lot and then never injured again.  It doesnt necessarily mean hes going to be injured every season anymore than if he were perfectly healthy all year he would never have an injury his entire career.  I dint draw conclusions from something that shouldnt lead you to draw conclusions, he doesnt have the kind of injury thats chronic  

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You cant draw any conclusion over injuries, especially this season as crazy as it is.  Its not my head in the sand its watching football, sports for years.  Ive seen way too many who are injured a lot and then never injured again.  It doesnt necessarily mean hes going to be injured every season anymore than if he were perfectly healthy all year he would never have an injury his entire career.  I dint draw conclusions from something that shouldnt lead you to draw conclusions, he doesnt have the kind of injury thats chronic  

Sounds like we’re actually much closer in our thinking about him.  I’m just a bit more pessimistic - when I see two separate, seemingly unrelated injuries in a season I get worried.  

But I do hear what you’re saying about his injury history and this very strange season.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like we’re actually much closer in our thinking about him.  I’m just a bit more pessimistic - when I see two separate, seemingly unrelated injuries in a season I get worried.  

But I do hear what you’re saying about his injury history and this very strange season.

The majority of evidence says he’ll not be any more injury prone than the average NFL player. That evidence is that he played many college games without issue. It’s also harder to project injury likelihood into the future but performance when on the field is usually possible. Which is why people are optimistic. Also to @Jet Nut‘s point this is a weird season due to Covid and the luck of PS and practice time. 

• Post of the Week 1