Denzel Mims & La’Mical Perine look good. so why do the jets keep ignoring them ? ? ?

kelly

Every time Denzel Mims and La’Mical Perine touch the football, the Jets’ offensive future looks a little brighter. The rookie receiver and running back have proven that they can produce in limited roles, yet as soon as the second half begins they’ve been given fewer opportunities despite the overall struggles of the team.

From a pure development standpoint, this strategy makes no sense for the Jets.

In three games this season, Mims turned 18 targets into 10 receptions for 146 yards. He’s the first Jets receiver to tally at least 40 yards in his first three games and at least 140 over his first three games since Keyshawn Johnson in 1996. He’s been electric and posted a team-high 14.6 yards per reception with a healthy 4.4 yards after catch mark. Adam Gase raved about him this week, too, refusing to put a ceiling on his abilities.

“The sky’s the limit. We just got to keep bringing him along,” Gase said, according to Newsday.  “We’ve got to find ways to give him opportunities and see what he can do.”

But as soon as the second half hits, Mims never sees the ball: only three of his 18 targets have come after halftime. Why would the Jets shy away from arguably their most consistent playmaker in a crucial part of the game?

Part of the problem is likely second-half adjustments, something the Jets have struggled with all season long and especially when Dowell Loggains took over play-calling duties from Gase. When the Bills switched cornerback Tre’Davious White onto Mims midway through Week 7, he struggled to gain much separation. The Jets also seem to be more risk-averse in the second half and have taken fewer chances with their play-calling, hence their limited production at the end of games. Mims, to his credit, took some of the blame for his poor second-half showings.“I think it’s my fault that the ball is not moving,” he said. “I try to ask myself, ‘What can I do more? What can I do to make sure to try and get the ball moving? I’m going to try to do everything I can to help us get the ball moving in the second half.”

Perine has seen a similar pattern emerge early in his Jets career. When Le’Veon Bell went on injured reserve and was released soon after, Perine should have absorbed a sizable portion of that workload. Instead, Gase rolled with 37-year-old Frank Gore. Perine’s snap share wavered between 40-50 percent every week – with one 70-percent game in the middle – but that never equated to more touches. Much like Mims, Perine also saw a significant drop in touches in the second half, with only eight of his 42 touches since Week 6 coming in the third and fourth quarters. Perine hasn’t done a lot with his touches – he’s tallied just 153 total yards and a rushing touchdown since Week 6 – but he’s also had eight fewer touches than Gore. It’s possible Perine’s usage will increase as the season progresses, but unless he sees more touches in the second half, it’s hard to imagine he’ll develop enough to be properly evaluated.

The Jets’ development strategy seems to be to limit their rookies’ opportunities to showcase their ability. Mims proved he could be a stud wideout with a couple of sensational catches in the past two weeks. Perine looks elusive out of the backfield and has been just as efficient as Gore on fewer rushing attempts. The Jets have looked much better in the first half than they have in the second half in their last three games, so maybe feeding their rookies might change thatThere’s no obvious reason why the Jets neglect their rookies in the second half of games other than they don’t want to rush their young players into big roles too early in their careers. While the sentiment is nice, it’s flawed considering the Jets have no direction in another lost season. It would make more sense to throw Mims and Perine into the fire now, let them make a lot of mistakes when the season doesn’t matter and give them time to learn from those errors and build more successful careers in the coming years.

Things could change in the final seven games of the season, but for now, the Jets are giving more looks at aging veterans and journeymen than the futures of their franchise.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/11/denzel-mims-lamical-perine-look-good-why-do-jets-keep-ignoring-them-second-half/

1aa7c6c844865c3ec252b61aca94a2b2.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Jets’ offensive coaching is completely atrocious.   There are some decent players with not consistent quality, but there is no question that most of the offensive players would be playing better, with better PFF scores, if they were playing in a better system.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, riggy001 said:

Perrine will get his shot last seven games. I don’t see him as our lead back next yr, i think we will draft that person, and Perrine will be complementary piece,3rd down type back in 2021

He would be a really nice complementary player to Najee Harris.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'd say he looks like a "serviceable" player. Nothing special and probably not a RB#1 on a contending team. 

Mims has a chance to be very good.

agreed !  8::..i'm hopin' they both develop into great players  ;)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, Mims is great - but as soon as they put a a good corner on him he couldn't get separation?

Sounds more like he wasn't getting targets because he wasn't getting open..

Wonk...wonk...whaaaaah. Fidelio Jet entering the conversation with his usual depressing take on everything. Dude, your shtick is old & played out. Mo matter what positive is posted on this site you enter the fray to put your negative spin into the conversation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, Mims is great - but as soon as they put a a good corner on him he couldn't get separation?

Sounds more like he wasn't getting targets because he wasn't getting open..

Trying to justify your "JD did a bad job and his draft is a huge question mark" comments

Guys have to develop, 2nd and later draft picks even

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to justify your "JD did a bad job and his draft is a huge question mark" comments

Guys have to develop, 2nd and later draft picks even

This was about performance so far.  I wasn’t discussing potential.  There’s alway potential.

Right now, there’s no way to look at this draft class and say, so far, it’s been a good year for JD’s picks.

This thread was claiming this is the best class we’ve ever had - and right now it’s still ONLY potential.

Of course there’s potential.  We just haven’t seen it yet in anyone other than Becton he’s been out almost as much as he’s played.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This was about performance so far.  I wasn’t discussing potential.  There’s alway potential.

Right now, there’s no way to look at this draft class and say, so far, it’s been a good year for JD’s picks.

This thread was claiming this is the best class we’ve ever had - and right now it’s still ONLY potential.

Of course there’s potential.  We just haven’t seen it yet in anyone other than Becton he’s been out almost as much as he’s played.

There has been lots of indications that it was a good draft.  Start with a LT who looks like hes got perennial all pro potential.  Just about every draft pick in the NFL is potential at this point.  

Sorry, its hard to agree with your cloudy analysis of his first draft.  

48 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Wonk...wonk...whaaaaah. Fidelio Jet entering the conversation with his usual depressing take on everything. Dude, your shtick is old & played out. Mo matter what positive is posted on this site you enter the fray to put your negative spin into the conversation. 

Maybe it’s just that I’m right and the rest of your are seeing things with green colored glasses.  Where have I been wrong?

Two years ago when I was explaining Gase’s history of being a bad coach and a lunatic, while the rest of you were talking about how great he was going to be and how he learned from his stink in Miami.

Or last off-season when y’all were calling JD a genius for signing other team’s back-ups.  Thinking “New” is Better” - I just tried to explain that you need good players to win.  Having a team of cheap back-ups doesn’t make a GM genius.  Anyone can sign cheap back-ups.  Getting the expensive, impact signing right is the hard part. 

Or now when you guys are saying Mims is at a minimum and strong #2.  All I’m saying is, we simply don’t know that - this place is so full of over reaction.  I’ve yet to see him make a play - a WOW! Play.  Right now he has 10 catches over 3 games with no TD’s.  And based on this article, good CB’s are capable of shutting him down.  

I’m not saying he can’t become that guy - or even a dominant #1.  All I’m saying is we still don’t know a lot about him.

13 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

What? Mims looks good, but perine looks terrible.

Perine looks terrible? I think he looks like a very good #2 going forward. Etienne or Harris with Perine spelling s starter. Man, if a player isn't a Super Star Jet fans are disappointed. The guy was the 120th player drafted & if he becomes a solid #2 which I think he will it's a great draft pick. I thought he showed nice hands Monday night, had a great blitz pickup on the long 52 yard TD to Perriman. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

There has been lots of indications that it was a good draft.  Start with a LT who looks like hes got perennial all pro potential.  

Sorry, its hard to agree with your cloudy analysis of his first draft.  

Becton looks great when he’s playing.  It’s very exciting if he can stay healthy, but right now we simply don’t know if he can.  Indications are he can’t.  Two separate injuries in 9 games.  Really not promising.

But even if we go with your position that Becton won’t be oft-injured - what other indications are there that this is a good draft?  Your wishful thinking doesn’t count as an indicator. 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Or now when you guys are saying Mims is at a minimum and strong #2.  All I’m saying is, we simply don’t know that - this place is so full of over reaction.  I’ve yet to see him make a play - a WOW! Play.  Right now he has 10 catches over 3 games with no TD’s

Hes playing on an offense that had what, 4 TDs going into last weeks game, and he missed what 6 games?  Who cares how many TDs he has, means nothing this season. 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Becton looks great when he’s playing.  It’s very exciting if he can stay healthy, but right now we simply don’t know if he can.  Indications are he can’t.  Two separate injuries in 9 games.  Really not promising.

But even if we go with your position that Becton won’t be oft-injured - what other indications are there that this is a good draft?  Your wishful thinking doesn’t count as an indicator. 

Its always a "but" when it comes to the good story here. There are no health indicators off of one shoulder injury in his rookie season.  Thats more of the dark cloud that follows us routine.  Hes missed what 3 games?  

There have been more indicators that there are starters or contributions coming from most of the players drafted.  Thats the idea

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe it’s just that I’m right and the rest of your are seeing things with green colored glasses.  Where have I been wrong?

Two years ago when I was explaining Gase’s history of being a bad coach and a lunatic, while the rest of you were talking about how great he was going to be and how he learned from his stink in Miami.

Or last off-season when y’all were calling JD a genius for signing other team’s back-ups.  Thinking “New” is Better” - I just tried to explain that you need good players to win.  Having a team of cheap back-ups doesn’t make a GM genius.  Anyone can sign cheap back-ups.  Getting the expensive, impact signing right is the hard part. 

Or now when you guys are saying Mims is at a minimum and strong #2.  All I’m saying is, we simply don’t know that - this place is so full of over reaction.  I’ve yet to see him make a play - a WOW! Play.  Right now he has 10 catches over 3 games with no TD’s.  And based on this article, good CB’s are capable of shutting him down.  

I’m not saying he can’t become that guy - or even a dominant #1.  All I’m saying is we still don’t know a lot about him.

Yes, we can tell. Based on what we've seen so far this is the best draft for the Jets in 10 freaking years. Becton can play, Mims can play, Davis can play, Perine can play, the punter can punt, and we'll see over the next 7 games if any of these others guys can contribute.

Granted it wasn't hard to have a draft be better than anything Macc or Idzik did over the last 6 years but based on Becton alone he did. Picking at 11 he did better with Mekhi than Macc did with any 1st round pick during his tenure. 

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes playing on an offense that had what, 4 TDs going into last weeks game, and he missed what 6 games?  Who cares how many TDs he has, means nothing this season. 

Well, there you go again basing things on potential.  We've seen nothing from him to say he is at minimum a strong #2.  He hasn't made dominating plays.  Great catches.  

Are you claiming that his potential is bigger because he's missed 6 games with two different injuries?

The good news is he's caught everything that's hit him in the hands/chest.  So there's that.   But other than that, we haven't seen much.  

If you want to make him a star because of 10 catches in 3 games, so be it.  I'll wait until I see something worthy of that claim.

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yes, we can tell. Based on what we've seen so far this is the best draft for the Jets in 10 freaking years. Becton can play, Mims can play, Davis can play, Perine can play, the punter can punt, and we'll see over the next 7 games if any of these others guys can contribute.

Granted it wasn't hard to have a draft be better than anything Macc or Idzik did over the last 6 years but based on Becton alone he did. Picking at 11 he did better with Mekhi than Macc did with any 1st round pick during his tenure. 

Becton, as good as he's been, has missed 1/3 of all games (with two injuries)

Mims has missed 2/3 of all games (with two injuries)

Davis has missed 5 games and started 1

Punter is ranked in the bottom half of the league in punting

Perrine, is a solid role playing RB.  Good 4th round pick for sure.

I will agree, it's very sad that we're calling this the best draft we've had in 10 years, but let's not make this out to be a good draft so far.  Right now at best it's a oft-injured draft class that has shown some early potential.

21 hours ago, riggy001 said:

Perrine will get his shot last seven games. I don’t see him as our lead back next yr, i think we will draft that person, and Perrine will be complementary piece,3rd down type back in 2021

i'd be very surprised if any pick in the 4th round or higher gets used on a rb. if we get the first pick its gonna be lawrence, o-line and probably a tight end

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Dated story:
ESPN's Rich Cimini reports Lamical Perine "will be the featured back over the remainder of the season as the organization tries to determine if he can be a future RB1."

Running backs also have to learn to pass block, and often when young ones don't play quite as much it is for that reason.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Becton, as good as he's been, has missed 1/3 of all games (with two injuries)

Mims has missed 2/3 of all games (with two injuries)

Davis has missed 5 games and started 1

Punter is ranked in the bottom half of the league in punting

Perrine, is a solid role playing RB.  Good 4th round pick for sure.

I will agree, it's very sad that we're calling this the best draft we've had in 10 years, but let's not make this out to be a good draft so far.  Right now at best it's a oft-injured draft class that has shown some early potential.

So based on that criteria , I guess Christian Mccaffery sucks - amirite.

Injuries are up all around the NFL, with no PS  games, covid protocols and the tissue soft CBA it was bound to happen. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i'd be very surprised if any pick in the 4th round or higher gets used on a rb. if we get the first pick its gonna be lawrence, o-line and probably a tight end

Depends on what we get for Darnold if we get the 1st or 2nd pick. 
CEH was picked at #31 last year. If we have the #33 I could see a Etienne or Najee Harris picked there if we nail the QB at #1. 
My theory is we have Becton on rookie contract, we’d have TL or JF on rookie contract, we have Mims on rookie contract, but we are in desperate need of edge & CB. 
That’s why I think JD looks to those areas in free agency (we have a lot of dough). 
2 moves that I would absolutely love would be Bud Dupree in free agency & trading for Marshon Lattimore. 
Saints are all in! If they don’t win the Super Bowl again, they are in huge cap trouble. Lattimore will be on his final year of his contract at 10.5 million. 
This could be a Stephon Gilmore move for us. Lattimore has gone against Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Calvin Ridley, the guy is a stud. 
So many options for us & if CJ Mosely comes back healthy with QW, Dupree & one of the youngsters comes on (Huff, Zuniga, Hall), you can turn things around quickly). 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

guessing here that becton's two injuries are really part of the same single issue that he's tried to play through.
re indications 4-6 other rooks look like contributors.