The case for drafting Ja'Marr Chase at #2 overall

DoubleDown

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Let's assume the following.

1. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are a reach at #2 overall.
2. Penei Sewell does not fit a need on the Jets after Mekhi Becton's strong rookie season.
3. The Jets cannot find a trade partner that offers fair compensation for the #2 overall pick.

The Jets absolutely need to add a #1 WR to the offense.  The position is critical to the success of Sam Darnold or whoever the quarterback of the future may be.

Ja'marr Chase was a dominant force in college football in 2019.  He is an elite deep threat, he has excellent hands, and he is very strong and physical at the catch point.  Some potential pro comparisons for Chase would be Odell Beckham Jr. and Stefon Diggs.

Why is Ja'Marr Chase not part of the conversation at #2?

He’s not even the best receiver in the draft, and nowhere near as valuable as the best Olineman

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m of the assumption this kid is Julio Jones AJ Green kind of good if so then use the high pick if not yes look more so with pick in late 1st and 2nd rounders for WR’s.

I do believe he can be that caliber of player but I still feel we need to draft a QB at #2. 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I do believe he can be that caliber of player but I still feel we need to draft a QB at #2. 

I don’t think he has the size to be considered along the likes of a Julio or AJ though.  He’s also not as fast as those guys.  Talented for sure, but I’m not seeing elite of the elite prospect.  

58 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Seriously. His replacement Marshall put up a monster season behind him w/o Burrow and then Marshall's replacement Boutte just put up a 300 yard game with a true Freshman at QB. LSU has been attracting and recruiting top notch wr's for some time now.  OBJ, Landry, Jefferson, now Chase and Marshall . Trust me Chase is very good. I wouldn't take him at #2 but would have no problem taking him in the top 10 . 

I couldn't disagree. He’s a stud but in no way a second overall pick sort of stud. 

Obviously the combine and free agency are going to play a big part in the direction the Jets take, but I continue to believe Chase is being vastly underrated by the board.

I'm still yet to hear why he is not worthy of the #2 pick.  What is the flaw in his game?  Does opting out in 2020 really change the quality of the prospect and his game?  He was the best WR in college football in 2019, better than Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs in my opinion.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think he has the size to be considered along the likes of a Julio or AJ though.  He’s also not as fast as those guys.  Talented for sure, but I’m not seeing elite of the elite prospect.  

He doesn't have the size but he is excellent fighting for the ball and in using body position. I feel he is better than Devonta Smith who's main attribute is speed . If I had to rank the top 5 for 2021 . I'd go 1) Chase  2) Rondale Moore, 3) Smith 4)  Sage Surratt 5) Chris Olave.  Jaylen Waddle would probably be in my top 5 but now he has injury concerns.  I'd then put Terrance Marshall as the next guy up .

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He doesn't have the size but he is excellent fighting for the ball and in using body position. I feel he is better than Devonta Smith who's main attribute is speed . If I had to rank the top 5 for 2021 . I'd go 1) Chase  2) Rondale Moore, 3) Smith 4)  Sage Surratt 5) Chris Olave.  Jaylen Waddle would probably be in my top 5 but now he has injury concerns.  I'd then put Terrance Marshall as the next guy up .

Ironically Smith isnt that fast when it come to top end speed, he’s just so smooth and quick that he plays faster than he is.  He has size issues as well though.   

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nope , Smith's main attribute is speed. Chase is a more well rounded receiver. 

lol, Ok you just took yourself right out of the "take me seriously" conversation.

If you wanted to make a case for Chase over Smith, that's the exact opposite of the right argument. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Ironically Smith isnt that fast when it come to top end speed, he’s just so smooth and quick that he plays faster than he is.  He has size issues as well though.   

I don't think he knows what he's talking about (ironically given his name).... he think Chase is the well rounded one, and Smith's the speedster.

uhhhh, wha?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Paradis said:

lol, Ok you just took yourself right out of the "take me seriously" conversation.

If you wanted to make a case for Chase over Smith, that's the exact opposite of the right argument. 

How so ? Chase doesn't rely on speed alone, has great hands and fight's for contested passes . I've seen Smith make some highlight catches but a lot his production at Bama came on wide open catches where he burned the DB's 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How so ? Chase doesn't rely on speed alone, has great hands and fight's for contested passes . I've seen Smith make some highlight catches but a lot his production at Bama came on wide open catches where he burned the DB's 

Look we both want the same thing. This team has undervalued drafting WR more than any other franchise in the last 20 years... 

I think you need to go back with fresh eyes, forget what the media told you and tell me who's better

For the record, Smith's hands are the best i've seen in 10 years. Chase doesn't even enter that conversation. That's been Smith's calling card since he was part of the fabled Bama platoon with Jeudy and Ruggs. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't think he knows what he's talking about (ironically given his name).... he think Chase is the well rounded one, and Smith's the speedster.

uhhhh, wha?

Seriously have you watched Chase play ?  I'm an LSU/SEC fan I've seen plenty of Bama and LSU games . 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think Smith is more of tactician when it comes to route running, Chase is really good at stacking the defender and beating him deep, like really good at that, not as good when he’s running other routes.  They’re different kids though, both have enormous upside and both have some kinks in the armor.  

Seriously have you watched Chase play ?  I'm an LSU/SEC fan I've seen plenty of Bama and LSU games . 

you ask me that in the same thread as stating Chase has the hands and Smith's the speedster. 

You need to go back to the film my friend. 

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think Smith is more of tactician when it comes to route running, Chase is really good at stacking the defender and beating him deep, like really good at that, not as good when he’s running other routes.  They’re different kids though, both have enormous upside and both have some kinks in the armor.  

I feel Chase is better on contested catches, Smith may be a better route runner but also benefitted from many wide open catches in Bama's offense . Both should be very good NFL prospects . 

Just now, Paradis said:

I'm sorry, you;ll disagree that smith as better hands.

Thats like disagreeing that Calvin Johnson is Taller than Crowder. 

Where did I say Chase had better hands. I said he has great hands fights well on contested catches and I felt he was more well rounded. 

Where did I say Chase had better hands. I said he has great hands fights well on contested catches and I felt he was more well rounded. 

Hey, it wouldn't much of a sport/conversation if we all agreed on everything. Chase will more than likely be the popular defacto WR1... lots of people will agree with you. I only got pointed because some of things you said felt like you were mislead. 

Just now, Paradis said:

Hey, it wouldn't much of sport/conversation if we all agreed on everything. Chase will more than likely be the popular defacto WR1... lots of people will agree with you. I only got pointed because some of things you said felt like you were mislead. 

Its all good , like I said in other posts I think both will be quality NFL wr's.  And unfortunately I don't think we'll see either in a Jets uniform. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

No way! He's one of those guys I would to love to opt-in so we can see him without the most productive QB in NCAA history. Unfortunately we didn't and I wouldn't feel comfortable selecting him top 5. Guys like Julio and AJ Green put in work for all 3 years and left no doubts. He can be great and perhaps better then both although highly unlikely, however I'm not comfortable making such a risk.

that's a good point for a lot of players.  both sanchez and darnold at least had another year of college eligibility and both probably could've benefitted by playing another year.  even qwill came out early.  who's to say his rookie year wouldn't have been better had he stayed in for another season.  i get the point that these guys are choosing this profession and by coming out they access their big contracts earlier.  but i just can't help wondering if more college experience will help them.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that's a good point for a lot of players.  both sanchez and darnold at least had another year of college eligibility and both probably could've benefitted by playing another year.  even qwill came out early.  who's to say his rookie year wouldn't have been better had he stayed in for another season.  i get the point that these guys are choosing this profession and by coming out they access their big contracts earlier.  but i just can't help wondering if more college experience will help them.

There's nothing Chase could have gained this season by an additional year at LSU. Once he had the option to opt-out it was a no brainer. 

There is 0 reason to draft chase at pick 2 and this is why. If you truly do not want qb and you truly do not want the tackle and you are absolutely in love with chase you call the Bengals up and tell them you have a team looking to move up who doesn't need a qb but you don't want to move down far and take a free fourth round pick (or more) to move to three and get the guy you wanted anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

But having a great Oline with no QB gets you where exactly. Do you think Sam's light will magically turn on in year 4.  Oline you can get later in the draft or via FA , FQB you most likely can't .

First off, QBs can be found later in the draft also if we're using that logic. Brady, Dak, Rodgers was late first, Brees a 2nd. 

Second, the question isn't whether QB is more important. It's obviously way more important. The question is ALWAYS whether you want the 95% chance of success tackle OR the 50/50 shot at QB when you can easily be taking the next trubisky or Daniel jones or haskins. And even many of the success stories are like mayfield or tannehill and guys who are just ok. 

Third, we also have the Seattle pick and maybe we can use that pick and another pick to move up a few spots and take a QB.

21 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its all good , like I said in other posts I think both will be quality NFL wr's.  And unfortunately I don't think we'll see either in a Jets uniform. 

we'll see. Deandre Hopkins (despite looking to me like WR1) wound up hanging around to the end of round 1.... so Chase, probably not. But there's a real cluster there of blue chip WR1s that I'm sure will be valued different across 32 boards. Maybe we get lucky. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

First off, QBs can be found later in the draft also if we're using that logic. Brady, Dak, Rodgers was late first, Brees a 2nd. 

Second, the question isn't whether QB is more important. It's obviously way more important. The question is ALWAYS whether you want the 95% chance of success tackle OR the 50/50 shot at QB when you can easily be taking the next trubisky or Daniel jones or haskins. And even many of the success stories are like mayfield or tannehill and guys who are just ok. 

Third, we also have the Seattle pick and maybe we can use that pick and another pick to move up a few spots and take a QB.

Sure it happens but it happens so infrequently to warrant that chance. You have a shot at a QB who any other year would be rated #1 overall in the Draft process. I'd say that's much better than a 50/50 shot. 

And who says Sewell has a 95% chance of success while its just 50% for a Fields or even Wilson. You reference Trubisky or Haskins but there are  Olinemen that bust out in the NFL a recent example is Jason Smith  or Robert Gallery ,its just that they don't play the most important position in the NFL so they're not scrutinized as so.