This is the 1998 Draft all over again

Philc1

One generational lock qb and Ryan Leaf (or in this case 2-4 additional Ryan Leaves)

The media loves hyping up college QB prospects every year.  It moves the needle and gets ratings if every year 5-6 NFL fanbases think they are getting some amazing QB who played in a one read shotgun spread system against almost entirely way inferior competition 

I’m confused at the post.  You say there’s 1 “lock” of a QB, then describe a 1 read shotgun qb against inferior competition.  Unfortunately, that’s what Lawrence is as well. Clemson plays, what I see, a worse schedule than Ohio State.  Sure, Lawrence had looked better than Fields this year but Fields isn’t some schlub.  And the more and more i watch Wilson, the more and more I see some legit throws.

fields is unfairly being criticized off one game that everyone watched.  The opposite is true for Wilson.  He’s being lauded over for one good game vs UCF that everyone watched.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I’m confused at the post.  You say there’s 1 “lock” of a QB, then describe a 1 read shotgun qb against inferior competition.  Unfortunately, that’s what Lawrence is as well. Clemson plays, what I see, a worse schedule than Ohio State.  Sure, Lawrence had looked better than Fields this year but Fields isn’t some schlub.  And the more and more i watch Wilson, the more and more I see some legit throws.

fields is unfairly being criticized off one game that everyone watched.  The opposite is true for Wilson.  He’s being lauded over for one good game vs UCF that everyone watched.

The best criticism of fields is that the previous half dozen qbs to come out of Ohio State playing in the same system with basically the same coaching staff have all been bad or worse in the NFL

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The best criticism of fields is that the previous half dozen qbs to come out of Ohio State playing in the same system with basically the same coaching staff have all been bad or worse in the NFL

Sure but remember Tahj Boyd of Clemson?  Or Joey Harrington of Oregon? Or Jamarcus Russell of LSU? Point being, most colleges have bad QBs that come out of them in the past and produce good NFL QBs. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Sure but remember Tahj Boyd of Clemson?  Or Joey Harrington of Oregon? Or Jamarcus Russell of LSU? Point being, most colleges have bad QBs that come out of them in the past and produce good NFL QBs. 

Those schools didn’t produce 10 straight bust quarterbacks 

040AE7E9-EF91-4B8A-9389-EA467D267ED3.jpeg.ace76a79bde4fdd2e2f3f959c79c9e1e.jpeg

Ok, Oregon came close

On 1/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, Philc1 said:

Those schools didn’t produce 10 straight bust quarterbacks 

040AE7E9-EF91-4B8A-9389-EA467D267ED3.jpeg.ace76a79bde4fdd2e2f3f959c79c9e1e.jpeg

Ok, Oregon came close

Excellent point, especially considering that all those guys were considered high first rounders when they came out. Definitely comparable prospects to Fields

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Excellent point, especially considering that all those guys were considered high first rounders when they came out. Definitely comparable prospects to Fields

Pryor kind of was, but otherwise, you are correct, the others couldn't hold a candle to Fields as a recruit. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2021 at 3:29 AM, Doggin94it said:

That’s cute you’re pretending Dwayne Haskins doesn’t exist

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The problem with Haskins is he's an immature a-hole, not that he doesn't have the ability to play. 

How is that relevant to Fields?

Because Clemson sold out to stop Sermon in that game he had 193 yards 

That’s why Fields WRs were wide open all game in man to man all game 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

Because Clemson sold out to stop Sermon in that game he had 193 yards 

That’s why Fields WRs were wide open all game in man to man all game 

Yeah I've never seen any of these guys play. I'm just asking what does Haskins being a douchebag - reportedly not being a hard worker, disliked by his teammates, and being selfish with his stats and with his being risk-averse to covid19 - have to do with Fields?

Seems Fields is supposed to be a good/nice kid who's well-liked by teammates and coaches from 2 schools. I don't know what rep Haskins had at OSU before Fields along those lines, but he's clearly been an immature c*ck as a pro.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2021 at 11:04 PM, maury77 said:

Pryor kind of was, but otherwise, you are correct, the others couldn't hold a candle to Fields as a recruit. 

Pryor was taken with a 3rd round pick in the 2011 supplemental draft.  He was never going to sniff the 1st round in any case.

https://www.sbnation.com/2011/8/21/2376433/terrelle-pryor-supplemental-draft-scouting-report

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I've never seen any of these guys play. I'm just asking what does Haskins being a douchebag - reportedly not being a hard worker, disliked by his teammates, and being selfish with his stats and with his being risk-averse to covid19 - have to do with Fields?

Seems Fields is supposed to be a good/nice kid who's well-liked by teammates and coaches from 2 schools. I don't know what rep Haskins had at OSU before Fields along those lines, but he's clearly been an immature c*ck as a pro.  

Sperm, with respect, lots of douchebags become good NFL QBs.  

Haskins problem was his college stats were a product of playing in a one read spread system at Ohio State where his scripted first read was always open.  Fields is the same thing but with more mobility.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Haskins problem was his college stats were a product of playing in a one read spread system at Ohio State where his scripted first read was always open.  Fields is the same thing but with more mobility.

Aot of great QBs are douchebags.

However. They have to have a serious work ethic.  The job is too hard, there is too much information.  Ryan leaf literally went to Vegas right after he was drafted.

I dont know much about fields one way or another as far as personality and work ethic.  

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He's not a douchebag like someone who just yells at everyone. It's that he doesn't put in the work and turns off his teammates by harping on his 300-yard game (i.e. "it's not my fault we lost since I had 300 yards) and yukking it up with RGII after a loss to Baltimore. The kind of immaturity that signals he's not ready for it. Talent-wise, including QB instincts, he may yet have all the tools he needs. But a QB is a bit more than that, as you know. 

The problem with Haskins isn't talent. And (with respect)I can't take your word for it regarding what Haskins did or didn't do at OSU after really giving a - the nice word would be inaccurate - take on Fields's 6-TD game, claiming that on every key play/TD his receiver was wide open by a minimum of 5 yards. 

You don't need to do the "with respect" stuff with me. I'm a big boy & this is just football discussion. If I'm going to take something personally this isn't going to be it.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, heymangold said:

He doesn't actually watch the tape, it's pretty clear from almost every post he makes. He just continues to make played out cliches such as "Fields is Ryan Leaf" or "Fields is Haskins". Just an old man yelling at the clouds

I will repeat.

Internet GMs: "Texas Tech has never produced an NFL quality QB"

Andy Reid: "I'll take my chances"

Predicting a QB to fail because other QBs from the same school (most under different coaches) failed is about a statistically sound reasoning as betting red because black came up 3 times in a row.  Feels good but is completely meaningless (unless the wheel is illegally out of balance of course).

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

I will repeat.

Internet GMs: "Texas Tech has never produced an NFL quality QB"

Andy Reid: "I'll take my chances"

Predicting a QB to fail because other QBs from the same school (most under different coaches) failed is about a statistically sound reasoning as betting red because black came up 3 times in a row.  Feels good but is completely meaningless (unless the wheel is illegally out of balance of course).

Fields = Mahomes?

7C89F1E9-A72C-429D-B9DD-115D19900B64.jpeg.e84f32d1033834279e234d03384366f0.jpeg

The same problems I had with Darnold coming out are the same problems I have with Fields:

Forces throws

Not great at reading defences - needs a lot of work (for me this is dedication with watching tape and processing information at line of scrimmage) - doesn't process pressure quickly (pocket awareness is trash)... that's what scares me. Ohio State's offense is built for him to not have to fully process his reads and his OL has been so good for most part that he doesn't have to go off the script often. He doesn't do well with that either. 

Accuracy is inconsistent 

Field vision is meh at best

His flaws make him undraftable for me. Remind me too much of the trash cans we have had at QB. He is such a Jets pick. 

5 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

The same problems I had with Darnold coming out are the same problems I have with Fields:

Forces throws

Not great at reading defences - needs a lot of work (for me this is dedication with watching tape and processing information at line of scrimmage) - doesn't process pressure quickly (pocket awareness is trash)... that's what scares me. Ohio State's offense is built for him to not have to fully process his reads and his OL has been so good for most part that he doesn't have to go off the script often. He doesn't do well with that either. 

Accuracy is inconsistent 

Field vision is meh at best

His flaws make him undraftable for me. Remind me too much of the trash cans we have had at QB. He is such a Jets pick. 

Fields also has limited experience as a starter in college similar to Sam. 1.5 seasons