Free Agent Guards

Rhg1084

14 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Id rather get Linsley and move McGovern to guard.  

Linsey was awesome in that last playoff game. Stoning Suh & all comers. Because he's a free agent, I just spent a lot of time focusing on his play. All of the pressure in that game came from the edges (Barrett mostly). 

I don't think Conklin wanted to come to the Jets, easy to say go sign a guy but they are free agents for a reason able to sign where they want to sign. 

The free agent Oline market has been very thin the last few years. Looks to be a bit better in 2021 but who knows who will get resigned before free agency begins? 

Not a fan of Fant, 8 million savings if we can replace him in the draft & trade or cut him. Russell Wilson makes lineman look good, not the other way around & they just let him walk? Did you see how many times Wilson was hit vs the Rams? 

If Joe Douglas (the supposed ex-lineman Guru) doesn't finish this Oline this offseason, I'm going to be terribly disappointed. Eiflein sucks! Teams don't cut lineman during the season (Vikings), and this guy slips right in as a starter for the Jets? What does that tell you? 

Thuney or Linsey should be targets. Thuney next to Becton? Yes please! 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Linsey was awesome in that last playoff game. Stoning Suh & all comers. Because he's a free agent, I just spent a lot of time focusing on his play. All of the pressure in that game came from the edges (Barrett mostly). 

I don't think Conklin wanted to come to the Jets, easy to say go sign a guy but they are free agents for a reason able to sign where they want to sign. 

The free agent Oline market has been very thin the last few years. Looks to be a bit better in 2021 but who knows who will get resigned before free agency begins? 

Not a fan of Fant, 8 million savings if we can replace him in the draft & trade or cut him. Russell Wilson makes lineman look good, not the other way around & they just let him walk? Did you see how many times Wilson was hit vs the Rams? 

If Joe Douglas (the supposed ex-lineman Guru) doesn't finish this Oline this offseason, I'm going to be terribly disappointed. Eiflein sucks! Teams don't cut lineman during the season (Vikings), and this guy slips right in as a starter for the Jets? What does that tell you? 

Thuney or Linsey should be targets. Thuney next to Becton? Yes please! 

How about both?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Draft Sewell and cut Fant 

If they are keeping Darnold they should just draft Sewell. This guy is being talked about by scouts the same way Nelson was before the Colts took him.

They can get a stud WR in free agency & another at #23 or #34. Especially if they trade back in either of those spots. Seems round #2 is the sweet spot for WRs lately. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

With the amount of time Becton missed, I would think a swing backup tackle is a big need.  Fant, abeit overpriced, could fit that role.  

He's very overpaid but yes George Fant is a swing tackle like ty nshkhe and that's fine. He started but that doesn't make him a starter. Ditto GVR. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, rayzor said:

Not even sure he's want to come back to the Jets anyway because of the way he was treated while injured.  The whole unapproved surgery deal.  Not sure if he blames Douglas or Gase on that one.

and it's stuff like that , that gives players pause to come to the JETS. There hasn't been a JET in 10 years that has had a really nice career.  It would be absolutely reasonable for a FA to believe that he will end his career as a JET with nothing except money.  That has to change.  Our culture does not attract players. Hopefully Saleh and Douglas fix this.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

and it's stuff like that , that gives players pause to come to the JETS. There hasn't been a JET in 10 years that has had a really nice career.  It would be absolutely reasonable for a FA to believe that he will end his career as a JET with nothing except money.  That has to change.  Our culture does not attract players. Hopefully Saleh and Douglas fix this.

This is so true! Be nice to finally have a free agent come to the Jets saying, "I wanted to go somewhere I had a chance at a Super Bowl". 

Instead for these free agents that come here, it's all about the money.

15 hours ago, section314 said:

With ya. , although sounds like McGovern will thrive at C in the new blocking scheme. Either way, need to draft a starter   for the O line in the draft.

Do you have any articles that talk about that? Just curious.

When we first signed McGovern, we supposedly preferred him at Guard. So wondering why he fits better at Center under this new scheme compared to Gase’s scheme. I kind of assumed both schemes were pretty similar in terms of OL play.

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That's like football p0rn right there, but I have to constantly remind myself this team continues to have multiple needs at key spots.  And, not just figuring out the QB position, getting a true WR1 and figuring out who the RB1 would be..... but the two most impactful positions on defense, Edge rusher and CB1 are big question marks in my opinion.

As much as I'd love to get the best OG in free agency and the best OT in the Draft I can't really justify using our most premium resources on them right now.

The best way to improve the running game is to get a high quality guard. Thuney’s athleticism will pair well with Becton. Not only will the pass blocking be great on the left side but they’ll get busy in the running game.

I don’t think we need super stars at every OL position. But getting a guy like Thuney and then another guard or center with our second rounder would go along way towards helping the running game and passing game.

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Do you have any articles that talk about that? Just curious.

When we first signed McGovern, we supposedly preferred him at Guard. So wondering why he fits better at Center under this new scheme compared to Gase’s scheme. I kind of assumed both schemes were pretty similar in terms of OL play.

No, I got it from a post on a thread a few days ago. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Butterfield said:

With the amount of time Becton missed, I would think a swing backup tackle is a big need.  Fant, abeit overpriced, could fit that role.  

As good as Becton was last year he got hurt quite a bit.  If we don’t draft Sewell Chuma Edoga could end up being LT again

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

As good as Becton was last year he got hurt quite a bit.  If we don’t draft Sewell Chuma Edoga could end up being LT again

Or we could draft like Alijah Vera-Tucker at 23 or Liam Eichenberg at 34. Both could start and play LT. So much better value

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The really bad pick is either the next crappy Ohio State Qb or glass shoulder Qb from BYU who got his stats facing Central Dogpoop State

Hyper athletic QB with great stats. Insanely accurate, rocket armed QB surrounded by 1 draftable offensive player who put up insane efficiency stats. 

or

Oft injured LT who hasn't played injured in a year who's best trait is "recovers well from blowing it"

10 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The interior of the line has been the biggest need for years. When was the last significant signing/draft pick we made at guard? 

That group was left to rot for over a decade. It should be the first area we address. Douglas has done a pretty mediocre job, he got Becton but he couldn't miss given Wirfs was on the board. The free agents were all trash, bargain basement garbage. He cannot do that again. With Becton on board the Jets have the chance to turn O-line into a real strength, we have the most difficult piece. I don't think you can ever really invest too much in it. If you have an elite line you will win games.

Am I wrong if I say Allan Faneca ?? And it was probably the best OL tandem in Jets history!! I hope Joe Douglas will do the same ?

13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The interior of the line has been the biggest need for years. When was the last significant signing/draft pick we made at guard? 

That group was left to rot for over a decade. It should be the first area we address. Douglas has done a pretty mediocre job, he got Becton but he couldn't miss given Wirfs was on the board. The free agents were all trash, bargain basement garbage. He cannot do that again. With Becton on board the Jets have the chance to turn O-line into a real strength, we have the most difficult piece. I don't think you can ever really invest too much in it. If you have an elite line you will win games.

Time to draft interior.