Can Dwayne Eskeridge become the next Tyreek Hill (or just wannabe)

Dwayne Eskeridge WR Western Michigan.

This kid has BLAZING speed.  I draft him and show Vincynt Smith the door.   Perfect developmental wide receiver who can still contribute right now returning punts and kicks.   Dude has that second gear.  He is the kind of diamond in the rough that can really accelerate a rebuilding program. 5 '9 190, he is built a lot like Tyreek Hill and like Hill, he has speed to burn and pretty good hands.  He was used all over the field at Western MI and I could see him do the same in the NFL.  Come on JD, snatch this kid up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I don't know anything about the kid but on the surface this is the kind of player I like with late picks. Great athletes who at a minimum should be able to produce on special teams while you hope they develop. 

My thoughts exactly.  I have to see where he is projected to go but he is going to be a steal for someone, I hope it's us. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Two Broncos on the Jets? ;)

I've bandied about Eskridge at every turn over the past 8 weeks or so. To me, he marks the start of next tier of WRs where you're getting good value (round 4)...

I'm not a fan of the Tyreek comp, it's become too en vogue as of late, but I've been throwing the Emmanuel Sanders label on him. Fantastic short area burst, good hands, great release--

Just watch this a few times to appreciate the subtlety here to get the DB to hesitate just enough

I hear you.  I knew I had heard that name somewhere, lol.  Great comparison with Sanders but I think the Hill comp still stands because do you see how he just runs away from people?  Especially on that inside slant, wow!   Regardless of who he compares to, I would love to give Wilson a weapon like him.  Not mention just how much better he would make our special teams play.   Good job by you on this kid, I am definitely sold.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Here's a good buffet of upsides... Although he's billed by some as inside/slot guy, i think he shows more than enough technical prowess and physicality to take reps outside...

That was just ridiculous....   I think the slot/inside thing is because he is so dangerous on those inside slant plays, however I definitely think he can play the outside as well.  Give this kid some good coaching and the sky is the limit.  I like him better than Jalen Raegor, who went in the first round last year. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I hear you.  I knew I had heard that name somewhere, lol.  Great comparison with Sanders but I think the Hill comp still stands because do you see how he just runs away from people?  Especially on that inside slant, wow!   Regardless of who he compares to, I would love to give Wilson a weapon like him.  Not mention just how much better he would make our special teams play.   Good job by you on this kid, I am definitely sold.   

Thanks but I can't take a ton of credit there - he had some buzz, especially at the senior bowl. I do think the general draft community is sleeping on him however. eg Elijah Moore is 100% slot and gets twice the love. 

And i get the Hill comps, i'm trying to stay away from using it... hard to deny when he takes off though that they don't look alike. 

• Sympathy 1

@Paradis I know you've talked about Rondale Moore too. It seems these two have some similarities with physique and skill set. I know that Moore adds in jet sweeps and handoffs, but do you think the value of Eskridge is better since he may be had in the 4th? Do you think Rondale is that much better to spend a mid second (maybe even earlier)?

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Thanks but I can't take a ton of credit there - he had some buzz, especially at the senior bowl. I do think the general draft community is sleeping on him however. eg Elijah Moore is 100% slot and gets twice the love. 

And i get the Hill comps, i'm trying to stay away from using it... hard to deny when he takes off though that they don't look alike. 

I see. Emmanuel Sanders

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

@Paradis I know you've talked about Rondale Moore too. It seems these two have some similarities with physique and skill set. I know that Moore adds in jet sweeps and handoffs, but do you think the value of Eskridge is better since he may be had in the 4th? Do you think Rondale is that much better to spend a mid second (maybe even earlier)?

Good question. Are we better off w/ Rondale at #34 or Eskridge at #107... or even #87... Given our roster needs, you have to side with Eskridge if only because the talent drop off is much more significant at Oline/DBs between those to in comparison. If our roster was in better shape, i'd say - swing for fences with Moore. 

IMO Jets fans in general continue to sleep on Keelan Cole - who can do a lot of this. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Good question. Probably the kind that separates the good GMs from the average ones.

Are we better off w/ Rondale at #34 or Eskridge at #107... or even #87... i think given our roster needs, you have to side with Eskridge if only because the talent drop off is much more significant at Oline/DBs between those to in comparison. Jets fans in general continue to sleep on Keelan Cole - who can do a lot of this.

If our roster was in better shape, i'd say nah - swing for fences with Moore. 

That’s my logic for the picks I’m working with in the mock. I do want more weapons on offense but any WR I draft is gonna be WR5 possibly working on manufactured touches. That’s not good use of draft capital.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Two Broncos on the Jets? ;)

I've bandied about Eskridge at every turn over the past 8 weeks or so. To me, he marks the start of next tier of WRs where you're getting good value (round 4)...

I'm not a fan of the Tyreek comp, it's become too en vogue as of late, but I've been throwing the Emmanuel Sanders label on him. Fantastic short area burst, good hands, great release--

Just watch this a few times to appreciate the subtlety here to get the DB to hesitate just enough

He’s the guy I hope we take if we go WR from Rd 3 or 4....we desperately need a PR & KR too so he’d be great value and immediately contributes on ST’s

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Yes I see him and definitely saw the similarities.  But he is definitely better value if he can be gotten in the 4th round.   Not taking anything from Moore, as he is definitely a bit more polished, but there really isn't that much that he does that I don't think Eskeridge isn't capable of.  

I think the only strike, I can call it that, is that he played for Western Michigan.  If this dude played for Alabama or Notre Dame, he could easily be a 1st or 2nd rounder from what I have seen.  In fact, it is possible that he doesn't make past the third round.   Everybody is looking or the next Tyreek Hill, although the comparisons may not be totally accurate, having that kind of versatile speed on your team is something every team desperately seeks.

41 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

He’s the guy I hope we take if we go WR from Rd 3 or 4....we desperately need a PR & KR too so he’d be great value and immediately contributes on ST’s

maybe it's long term draft trauma - but i don't see us spending any picks on WR/RB before day 3.... you got QB #2, then 23, 34 and 66 feel like to be IOL, DBs and front seven... 66 or 86 might see a TE like Tommy Tremble. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

maybe it's long term draft trauma - but i don't see us spending any picks on WR/RB before day 3.... you got QB #2, then 23, 34 and 66 feel like to be IOL, DBs and front seven... 66 or 86 might see a TE like Tommy Tremble. 

23 and/or 34 will be a trade down, agree with your priorities, but this will net us another player or two, te/rb/wr.....

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, riggy001 said:

23 and/or 34 will be a trade down, agree with your priorities, but this will net us another player or two, te/rb/wr.....

Another thing to keep an eye on, lots of talk of steelers wanting Najee Harris. They pick right after us. Opportunity for JD to at least bluff we are taking him , or trading down with another team,  to pick up another pick for Steelers...

It still feels like there's simply a ton of WR coming into the NFL annually these days.  Last year's Draft looks like an epic one for WRs and we'll get another strong crop of good ones this year.

Does that factor into how teams approach the position in the Draft at all in terms of supply/demand.  If you do a back of the napkin analysis.... let's say every NFL team needs/wants at least 3 very capable starting-caliber WRs.  That's a need of about 96 players across 32 teams.  There were 37 WRs drafted last year!  That included 13 in just the first two rounds.  That eclipses the record of 12 taken in the first two rounds of 2105 (not all that long ago).

Those young WRs coming into the league do two things:  1) They satisfy needs and take up roster spots on NFL team, lessening the demand and 2) Eventually push out older more expensive veteran WRs.

In that kind of environment where you know additional WRs will be getting cut or made available for trade, is there a huge incentive to grab WRs early other than true difference makers like Chase, Waddle, etc.?

It almost seems like the demand and competition should be for all the Cornerbacks needed to cover these guys.  

1363128128_ScreenShot2021-04-13at10_38_35PM.png.fb0ea06bb2ada423b6cca53c335bca60.png