How sure are you that Zach Wilson is going to be the pick?

How sure are you that Zach Wilson is going to be the pick?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. How sure are you that Zach Wilson is going to be the pick?

• 100%
    • 99%
    • Less than 99%

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

In a perfect world the Jets could support him with a dominant run game and handy TE, unfortunately, the Jets sat on their hands in that dept. and Zach is joining the worst offensive unit in Football, playing in a ridiculously talented division and conference.

He already had issues of drifting and bailing in college, vs. nobodies...he's going to stop the trend on this team vs. NFL talent? Just cant imagine JD is stupid enough to start him right away.

Oh, he is. 

Less than 99%. Maybe 90%. 2 reasons not > 99%:

1) Never imagined that Cleveland would have taken Mayfield over Darnold, so anything can happen.

2) Something JD said in one of his pressers within the past few weeks about (paraphrasing): "It's always been a 2 QB draft/race".

My question to this is "As of when?". At what point in the evaluation process did he feel this way? If it was since December (give or take), it may very well be Wilson. But since Wilson didn't really rise in the evaluation process until October/November, if JD's comment was based on how he has felt since September, then he was probably talking about Fields or Lance (Jones was a late riser too) being the 2nd QB.

Should be interesting.

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

2) Something JD said in one of his pressers within the past few weeks about (paraphrasing): "It's away been a 2 QB draft/race".

I think in the world of JD only Wilson and Trevor were worth the 2 pick.  

I would think there are many QBs worth the 23 pick.  

A QB busts is one who can't understand NFL defenses, go through his progressions or throw accurately enough.  Wilson can do all of that.   But if he meets up with the second coming of Ray Lewis, it won't end well.  So to me, he busts if he gets hurt. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think in the world of JD only Wilson and Trevor were worth the 2 pick.  

I would think there are many QBs worth the 23 pick.  

A QB busts is one who can't understand NFL defenses, go through his progressions or throw accurately enough.  Wilson can do all of that.   But if he meets up with the second coming of Ray Lewis, it won't end well.  So to me, he busts if he gets hurt. 

That's what I've wondered - was Wilson the 2nd QB he was talking about? At what point did JD come to that conclusion? For sure no one was talking Wilson as the 2nd best QB in September. It was all Fields & Lace (after Lawrence) coming into the 2020 season.

I still think odds are that the pick will be Wilson (and I'm ok with that) but just something about that comment is telling me there's a small chance that it might not be Wilson. More than a 1% chance IMO (per the OP's poll question)

17 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Less than 99%. Maybe 90%. 2 reasons not > 99%:

1) Never imagined that Cleveland would have taken Mayfield over Darnold, so anything can happen.

2) Something JD said in one of his pressers within the past few weeks about (paraphrasing): "It's away been a 2 QB draft/race".

My question to this is "As of when?". At what point in the evaluation process did he feel this way? If it was since December (give or take), it may very well be Wilson. But since Wilson didn't really rise in the evaluation process until October/November, if JD's comment was based on how he has felt since September, then he was probably talking about Fields or Lance (Jones was a late riser too) being the 2nd QB.

Should be interesting.

You know, that is an interesting question.  I never pay attention to GM talk but when did "always" begin in JD's mind?  If you're saying always, well, then Justin Fields is the answer.   He's been 1b to Trevor since a sophomore in High School.  JD didnt even know Wilson was alive till Nov maybe Dec, and some where along that time frame 1b whipped the floor with 1a in a historic performance that made 1a look like a peasant to 1b.  "Always" to a nonbiased logical human is unquestionably Fields.

In the end, I still think it's Wilson but this is an interesting point because Wilson has not "always" been the obvious 1b.  That happened sometime in Jan. when the hot take draft machine was dusted off and fired up for this years sexy draft riser prospect who does stuff like this other guy who is really good, sometimes.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

That's what I've wondered - was Wilson the 2nd QB he was talking about? At what point did JD come to that conclusion? For sure no one was talking Wilson as the 2nd best QB in September. It was all Fields & Lace (after Lawrence) coming into the 2020 season.

In September, JD wasn’t thinking QBs yet. He was still hoping Darnold was his guy. 

12 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

for what its worth todd mcshay was on pardon my take today and said he can say for a fact the jets are taking wilson. him and jd are tight so i believe him. comon zach, go raise hell and light the world on fire. 

It's in the interests of the Jets to promote the idea that they're taking Wilson at 2 so if they want to trade that pick on Draft Day for a lower pick some Wilson-hungry team antes up big with the draft picks to trade for their boy.  Then the Jets go down a couple of picks, get the guy they really want and then get his line protection with their new pick.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

It's in the interests of the Jets to promote the idea that they're taking Wilson at 2 so if they want to trade that pick on Draft Day for a lower pick some Wilson-hungry team antes up big with the draft picks to trade for their boy.  Then the Jets go down a couple of picks, get the guy they really want and then get his line protection with their new pick.

B8C5CBBA-2F53-4357-86D3-620EFB4000F6.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

for what its worth todd mcshay was on pardon my take today and said he can say for a fact the jets are taking wilson. him and jd are tight so i believe him. comon zach, go raise hell and light the world on fire. 

I dont doubt it but I dont understand the logic of leaking this to McShay unless it was to drive up the cost for a draft day trade.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

B8C5CBBA-2F53-4357-86D3-620EFB4000F6.gif

Fine by me. My only requirement to care as a fan this year was someone not named Sam Darnold as the week 1 QB.  

They could throw Flacco out there and I’d be excited.  James Morgan, whether he’s prepared or not? Even better.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

In September, JD wasn’t thinking QBs yet. He was still hoping Darnold was his guy. 

That's a really good point.

Even so - I'm sure the scouting department was still doing their homework on the QB position and was still ranking them for JD

• Upvote 1