Lost my father at 99 this week

He was tall and strong, with a presence that filled the room.  He was a workaholic from a generation of men who didn’t always put their children first.  Growing up under his roof, I might have preferred the hero of my imagination - the father who would teach me how to hit and throw a curve ball.  Who would sit with me and watch Tom Seaver pitch one of his gems, or Joe Namath Guarantee it, or Walt Frazier dish out assists and goto the hoop against the Lakers.  But as I aged, I came to appreciate more and more the hero my dad actually was – the one more like a living prophet, the kind from the Old Testament...

RIP Dad

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 7

I would like to add that my thoughts and prayers are with Biggs.  I don't think it is ever easy, but I guess we try to look at the good.  I am glad you grew to appreciate him.  My Dad was certainly with me watching the Nets last night.  We really need a different "upvote" button for posts that you want to support without "liking"

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I would like to add that my thoughts and prayers are with Biggs.  I don't think it is ever easy, but I guess we try to look at the good.  I am glad you grew to appreciate him.  My Dad was certainly with me watching the Nets last night.  We really need a different "upvote" button for posts that you want to support without "liking"

Sorry about your loss as well.  Yup, a while back during the height of the pandemic, I mentioned that we need a sympathy/support icon.   I always feel weird up voting someone for a sad/difficult situation.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry about your loss as well.  Yup, a while back during the height of the pandemic, I mentioned that we need a sympathy/support icon.   I always feel weird up voting someone for a sad/difficult situation.

Thank you.  Sorry about your Dad.  Is it bad that part of me wanted to give your post a googly eyes reaction?  

• Haha 1

RIP.
I was raised by what I refer to as the Mickey mantle generation Dad, crew cut hair, tough, no hugs, other similarities and I agree that I’ve also come to appreciate it. I was afraid of him, ( he was an MP in the army) and that’s why I work hard and stay out of trouble. 

Thoughts and prayers 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

RIP sorry for your loss.  99 years is one hell of a life! 

It was unbelievable.  The roaring 20's, the depression, Submarine officer in the pacific fleet in WW2... He had a sound mind into his late 90's and died queitly in his sleep.   I feel like his  generation is dissapearing and we will never see another one like it again.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

58 minutes ago, Larz said:

RIP.
I was raised by what I refer to as the Mickey mantle generation Dad, crew cut hair, tough, no hugs, other similarities and I agree that I’ve also come to appreciate it. I was afraid of him, ( he was an MP in the army) and that’s why I work hard and stay out of trouble. 

Thoughts and prayers 

Funny, Mantle was my father's favorite by far and he would argue and scoff at anyone that suggested Mays was better.  On the other hand, he had a beard, long hair and a pony tail and was pretty anti-authoritarian.  Made football kind of rough because I was always convinced I knew better than the coaches.  Sometimes I was right.  He never drank either, which I guess is another non-Mantle thing.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, Biggs said:

He was tall and strong, with a presence that filled the room.  He was a workaholic from a generation of men who didn’t always put their children first.  Growing up under his roof, I might have preferred the hero of my imagination - the father who would teach me how to hit and throw a curve ball.  Who would sit with me and watch Tom Seaver pitch one of his gems, or Joe Namath Guarantee it, or Walt Frazier dish out assists and goto the hoop against the Lakers.  But as I aged, I came to appreciate more and more the hero my dad actually was – the one more like a living prophet, the kind from the Old Testament...

RIP Dad

Sorry for your loss, may he rest in peace.

sorry for your loss.  It’s never easy. 

My grandpa in India passed away earlier this month at 98. We were very close when I was younger.  He was healthy and sharp until covid got him.  Only a week of pain. No hospital. Died at home with family.  Not much more you can ask for in life. 

On 6/21/2021 at 12:05 AM, Dunnie said:

Losing your Dad is a real bummer... 99 is awesome though ... I salute him.

Lost mine at 41.emoji868.png

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

So sorry you lost him at such a young age.  I really didn't have a great relationship with my dad growing up in his house as a young boy.  I was luckky to have had almost a 50 year relationship with him after I was out of the house and could really appreciate him as an adult.   

I hope you still have good memories and they stay with you...

• Sympathy 1

RIP, Biggs. 99 is a great run. Had a dad much like that. He didn't have much use for hitting a ball or stuff like that but by the time I could drive I could sweat pipes, change brakes on the car, and use a framing square. To this day it pains me to hire any kind of skilled labor that I can just as well do myself, dammit.

• Upvote 1

My condolences to you all. I lost my father at 87 in November, the day after Thanksgiving. He waited until I got to his bedside (1000 miles apart) and passed peacefully 3 hours later. I was able to say what I needed to say before he left - I know he heard it because I got hand squeezes. I am still processing the loss, I take it out sometimes and grieve. He was a good man and lived life under his terms.

Anyway Biggs, 99 is a great run, I also salute. Dunnie, 41 is tough, I'm sorry

• Sympathy 3

54 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

My condolences to you all. I lost my father at 87 in November, the day after Thanksgiving. He waited until I got to his bedside (1000 miles apart) and passed peacefully 3 hours later. I was able to say what I needed to say before he left - I know he heard it because I got hand squeezes. I am still processing the loss, I take it out sometimes and grieve. He was a good man and lived life under his terms.

Anyway Biggs, 99 is a great run, I also salute. Dunnie, 41 is tough, I'm sorry

Wow, glad you made it to say goodbye to your Dad.  I did, too.  But he was sedated.  I got a very slight hand squeeze, too.  So will at least hope that he knew we were all there at the end.

Condolences on your loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, freestater said:

RIP, Biggs. 99 is a great run. Had a dad much like that. He didn't have much use for hitting a ball or stuff like that but by the time I could drive I could sweat pipes, change brakes on the car, and use a framing square. To this day it pains me to hire any kind of skilled labor that I can just as well do myself, dammit.

You do flooring I could use the help :-)

it’s amazing what we learned growing up.   Have to remember to teach our kids stuff also and get them off electronics. 

• Sympathy 1

On 6/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, batman10023 said:

You do flooring I could use the help :-)

it’s amazing what we learned growing up.   Have to remember to teach our kids stuff also and get them off electronics. 

My 3 year old literally wakes up and asks for his tablet, but take him outside and he doesn't stop running.  Last night he was trying to hand me bricks, the level, hammer.  I had to tell him to put the saw down.  Reminded me of last summer when I looked in the yard and witnessed my Dad ask him to pass the chainsaw.  

His response:  What?!?! The safety was on!

Dude, he is two years old

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My 3 year old literally wakes up and asks for his tablet, but take him outside and he doesn't stop running.  Last night he was trying to hand me bricks, the level, hammer.  I had to tell him to put the saw down.  Reminded me of last summer when I looked in the yard and witnessed my Dad ask him to pass the chainsaw.  

His response:  What?!?! The safety was on!

Dude, he is two years old

Our generation didn't all make it to adulthood, but those of us who did have survival skills LOL.

I often say that if someone were to write Lord of the Flies today, it would be a short story because the kids would all be toast by the end of Chapter 1.

• Upvote 2