Predict the Roster

Why not, it's not like there's anything else to do. Let's get this down to the final 53

QB: 2

Wilson and Morgan. White to the PSquad.

RB: 4

Carter, Coleman, Johnson, Adams. Perine is a tough cut, may take Adams' spot

FB: 1

Wesco is competing against himself here; if he's cut, it'll be for another FB

WR: 6

Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore, Cole, Berrios. Don't buy the hype, Mims is still a starter here. That WR group is stacked.

TE: 2

Herndon, Kroft. Griffin & Brown get cut. Yeboah to the PSquad

OL: 9

Becton, Vera-Tucker, McGovern, Van Roten, Moses, Fant, Feeney, Clark, Andrews. Lewis gets cut in favor of more versatile interior linemen (Feeney, Andrews). Yes, I'm projecting that we sign Moses. Hoge, Hermanns, & Saltes compete for PSquad spots with Kaufusi.

Total Offense: 24

DE: 5

Lawson, Franklin-Myers, Huff, Curry, Blair. Zuniga is fighting for his life, as is Kyle Phillips, and those last three spots are up for grabs. But Saleh loves Blair. They could try to shove Huff to the PSquad. Hamilcar Rashed to the PSquad

DT: 5

Williams, Rankins, Fatukasi, Marshall, Shepherd. Dwumfour to the PSquad and Shepherd is holding on by the skin of his teeth; he's probably the first cut if they need a spot elsewhere.

LB: 5

Mosely, Davis, Nasrilideen, Sherwood, Eifler. Cashman is a tough cut but the kid is never healthy.

CB: 6

Hall, Austin, Jackson, Guidry, Dunn, Carter. Whooo ... some tough cuts here. Echols and Pinnock to the PSquad, but the only CB who is pretty much guaranteed a roster spot is Hall. This competition will be fun to watch, and there may be some special teams spots open for these guys.

S: 4

Maye, Joyner, Davis, Bennett Jackson. JT Hassell is a tough cut and may take Jackson's spot.

Total DEF: 25

ST: 4

Hennessey, Mann, Naggar, Hardee. Yep, Ficken gets cut. Hardee makes the roster as the ST ace.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

We don't need 5 RB's.

We don't need 6 WR's.

We need more than 2 TE's.

From your projection, cut Adams/Perine and Berrios, then Find/Keep another TE and something more important that isn't a #4 Tailback or JAG #6 WR.

If the #6 was anyone other than Berrios, maybe I'd be more amenable.

• Upvote 1

First off I would like to say that this post makes me miss the old roster sheets they used to hand out for free at training camp along with your calendar, refrigerator magnet schedule, keychain Etc.

From listening to Saleh basically every position is up for grabs except QB. It's especially tough to call the RB's, WR's, CB's, LB's.. hell both lines and pretty much every position LMFAO!

We have somewhat of an idea of the system's they're going to run but I'm sure they're going to be tweaking things and I said months ago I really think that guys are going to be changing positions in certain areas. 

Honestly I don't even think the coaching staff knows and they're still putting ingredients in the soup! I think that's a good way to find your Diamonds in the Rough and see who really wants it. This method also might bring a few surprises!? As they say the cream will rise to the top oh, and you have to let the sauce simmer.

What I don't want to see is Joe Douglas getting overzealous and bringing in free agents for the sake of making roster moves and bringing in veterans. Stick to the plan and let these young and new guys fight it out and build your damn football team.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Why not, it's not like there's anything else to do. Let's get this down to the final 53

Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore, Cole, Berrios. Don't buy the hype, Mims is still a starter here. That WR group is stacked.

Becton, Vera-Tucker, McGovern, Van Roten, Moses, Fant, Feeney, Clark, Andrews. Lewis gets cut in favor of more versatile interior linemen (Feeney, Andrews). Yes, I'm projecting that we sign Moses. Hoge, Hermanns, & Saltes compete for PSquad spots with Kaufusi.

Lawson, Franklin-Myers, Huff, Curry, Blair. Zuniga is fighting for his life, as is Kyle Phillips, and those last three spots are up for grabs. But Saleh loves Blair. They could try to shove Huff to the PSquad. Hamilcar Rashed to the PSquad

Williams, Rankins, Fatukasi, Marshall, Shepherd. Dwumfour to the PSquad and Shepherd is holding on by the skin of his teeth; he's probably the first cut if they need a spot elsewhere.

Mosely, Davis, Nasrilideen, Sherwood, Eifler. Cashman is a tough cut but the kid is never healthy.

Hall, Austin, Jackson, Guidry, Dunn, Carter. Whooo ... some tough cuts here. Echols and Pinnock to the PSquad, but the only CB who is pretty much guaranteed a roster spot is Hall. This competition will be fun to watch, and there may be some special teams spots open for these guys.

Maye, Joyner, Davis, Bennett Jackson. JT Hassell is a tough cut and may take Jackson's spot.

Hennessey, Mann, Naggar, Hardee. Yep, Ficken gets cut. Hardee makes the roster as the ST ace.

Thoughts?

I like this roster and I agree with it with the lone exception of Blake Cashman. Blake Cashman, when he's actually on the field, is a really good player. I think he easily makes the roster and starts.

8 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Agreed.  Assuming that Morgan wins the backup job in the eyes of the coaches.  If White outplays Morgan, then reverse the outcome.  If neither wins the backup job, then cut deeply and claim the best one or two options available.  We have second waiver rights this year and I expect Douglas to use that all season.  My cuts will reflect this belief as you will see. 

Carter, Coleman, Johnson, Perine.  Adams to the practice squad.

Adams is not going to beat out Perine because Adams does not play special teams.  Nor is Adams going to get claimed by the league.   Adams will end up on the practice squad.  He will be there if we need him.  If  anybody is going to get cut it will be Ty Johnson because he does what Carter does only not as well.  

Agreed.  Completely.  Either way, there will be a fullback on the roster.

WR: 5

The Jets are not going to keep six receivers.  Berrios and the Smiths to the practice squad.

Agreed.  The only other possibility is that Yeboah gains the 20 lbs he needs to block inline and forces the Jets to keep him on the roster.   Which could happen - the Shanahan offense LOVES tight ends).

Starters will be Becton, AVT, McGovern, Van Roten and Moses.  Backups will be Fant, Feeney, Clark and McDermott.  If we do not sign Moses, then Fant starts and Edoga gets to stay.  Josh Andrews is now on the Falcons.  Alex Lewis will either win the starting job at right guard or he will be cut.  I continue to hold out hope that Clark wins the starting job at right guard.

Total Offense: 23

DE: 4

Starters Carl Lawson (it is entirely possible that the Jets decide to use him only on passing downs) and Kyle Phillips (he will also play inside).  Backups Vince Curry and Jabari Zuniga (who will play three technique tackle too).   Blair will be cut and added to the practice squad after clearing waivers.  He will bounce back and forth until the roster is set.   Hamilcar Rashed to the practice squad.  Huff will be cut and picked up by New England or the Steelers.   

DT: 4

Starters Quinnen WIlliams and Sheldon Rankins.  Backups Fatukasi and Shepard.  If Franklin-Myers proves to the coaches he can play inside, they we cut Shepard instead.  Marshall and Dwumfour to the practice squad.  There is an outside chance that Marshall makes the team and joins the rotation if we trade Fatukasi and Franklin-Myers cannot hold his own inside (a distinct possibility).  I sincerely doubt that Franklin-Myers can set the edge on running plays at defensive end.  If he stays, it is as a penetrating tackle.  

Starters Mosley, Davis and Sherwood.  Backups Nasirildeen (replaces Sherwood on passing downs) and either Eifler or White.  My money is on Branden White as he is a fine special teams player which is something Sherwood, Mosley, Davis, Eifler and Cashman cannot equal.   I too cut Cashman.  He has to stay healthy and PROVE he is better than Sherwood and Nasirildeen.  I doubt he can do that.  Eifler to the practice squad.

CB: 7

Starters Hall and Austin with MC2 at the nickel.  Backups Jackson, Pinnock, and Dunn.   I list Hardee here too since he is a DB but will play only on special teams.  Guidry is a very tough cut.  I add him to the practice squad if he clears waivers (which I doubt - too much good tape on him).

Starters Maye and Joyner.  Backups Davis and Echols (Yes, fellas - he can play safety.  Says so in the draft guide.  There is no way we cut Echols - either he or Crowder will return punts imo).  Bennett Jackson is a tough cut.  JT Hassell to the practice squad. 

Total DEF: 24

I believe the kicker will be claimed on final cuts unless somebody clearly wins the job.  Mann will punt and Hennessey is a lock. 

These cuts will take the Jets' roster to 50 players (51 if Yeboah forces the Jets to keep him).  I fully expect the Jets to play rotisserie football throughout the season.  We will move players from the practice squad to the roster and visa versa.  We will pick up and waive claimed players without mercy.  This is especially true at final cuts which I expect Douglas to approach as if it was an expansion draft.  He is going to milk our waiver priority all year long.  Just like he should.  To do that, you must expose the back end of your roster.  I expect us to do that.  

I fully realize I made some tough cuts.  But the better teams are going to be making far harder choices.  It is time to raise the Jolly Roger to plunder the wealthy teams.  I also fully expect Douglas to pounce on salary cap cuts.  This happens when teams realize that this year's third round pick is as good as their well paid starting guard.  

Between our #2 waiver priority and our oodles of salary cap space, the future is not set.

image.jpeg.6a4431e23ce95d33037d216f703bf762.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Jets TE Trevon Wesco 'embracing' switch to fullback in Mike LaFleur's offense

Tyler Greenawalt 

June 22, 2021 8:06 am ET

Mike LaFleur’s scheme requires a fullback, but the Jets didn’t sign or draft one this offseason. That seemingly left a pretty big gap in the offense.

Enter Trevon Wesco.

Rather than look at other options, LaFleur confirmed the Jets’ fullback will likely be the 2019 fourth-round tight end.

“Yes, he is our fullback right now,” LaFleur said last week when asked about Wesco. “He’s a bigger body, he’s longer. He’s going to be able to play a little bit more inline, so we can use him in multiple ways, whether it be 21 or your typical 12 personnel formations. So, he’s embracing it.”

This is a win-win scenario for Wesco and the Jets. Wesco would likely have been the odd-man-out of a tight end room already filled with Chris Herndon, Ryan Griffin and Tyler Kroft and the Jets desperately needed a fullback in LaFleur’s offense.

In both of LaFleur’s previous stops with Kyle Shanahan, the offense utilized a fullback at a league-leading or almost-leading pace. Kyle Juszczyk led all fullbacks in snaps from 2017-2020 with the 49ers, while Patrick DiMarco ranked third and sixth from 2015-2016 during Shanahan’s seasons as the Falcons offensive coordinator.

Wesco is not either of those two players – and LaFleur made sure to let everyone know he understands that – but he has does have more experience at the position than anyone else on the Jets. He played in 97 snaps at fullback over the past two seasons, according to Jets X-Factor’s Michael Nania, including 11 snaps per game over the last three games of the 2019 season.

There is precedent for LaFleur to convert a tight end to the position, too. The 49ers used tight end Ross Dwelley at fullback for 18.3 snaps per game when Juszczyk missed four games in 2019, according to Nania. LaFleur also noted that he used Wesco as a fullback during the 2019 Senior Bowl, which likely played a role in his decision to convert Wesco to that position.

“It’s going to be a challenge but he’s a guy that has done a really good job at it,” LaFleur said, “and it’ll be really cool when we put on the pads and get into training camp and preseason.”

• Upvote 1

Without quoting Clayton’s entire post, which is great, if JD is going to waiver wire poach, etc., I think it will be hard for the following players to make the roster for very long-because they are either not that good or too close to the end of their rookie contracts-so easily replaceable:

White and Morgan are very replaceable.  Watch Foles. 

Edoga-Moses is his death warrant

Lewis-too crazy

Herndon-too flakey-take a chance on Yeboah.  I can see TE being Kroft, Brown and Yeboah.  

They will keep WRs and put them on the PS.

I agree Perine could make the team with Adams on the PS, but that does not last long.  RB is hypothetical-someone will get hurt and make this easier.  True for whole roster.  

Wesco is the FB or cut. 

Shepherd should move on.   This is his year 4 and he is close to 30.  Kyle Phillips is making the team.  

Cashman should be replaced by a rookie.  

Keep the rookie CBs and put Jackson and Javelin on the PS.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, Warfish said:

We don't need 5 RB's.

We don't need 6 WR's.

From your projection, cut Adams/Perine and Berrios, then Find/Keep another TE and something more important that isn't a #4 Tailback or JAG #6 WR.

Re Adams/Perine ... I think they're competing with the entire roster. I see no chance Berrios is cut given his connection with Wilson thus far, Crowder and Cole being on the last year of their deals, and his STs contribution. I know you think he's a JAG but he's a fine No. 4 WR (a slot guy who is competent/not embarrassing and contributes on specials) and is way above average as the No. 6 WR on the team. 

On 6/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, Doggin94it said:

Thoughts?

Other than TE, the offense is a playoff contending unit *IF* Wilson does well his first year out.  The defense is fair but unimpressive at the first and second level and potentially horrendous at the third level.  

The Jets really look like an "offensive" team again. 

43 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Re Adams/Perine ... I think they're competing with the entire roster. I see no chance Berrios is cut given his connection with Wilson thus far, Crowder and Cole being on the last year of their deals, and his STs contribution. I know you think he's a JAG but he's a fine No. 4 WR (a slot guy who is competent/not embarrassing and contributes on specials) and is way above average as the No. 6 WR on the team. 

We can agree to disagree. 

Berrios is unquestionably (IMO) the kind of player bad teams roster because they can't do any better, and fans of those bad teams try to convince themselves he is actually an ok NFL-worthy player.

He could be replaced by almost anyone else, at no loss to our team.

Let me add, I don't want Wilson having a "connection" with the likes of Berrios.  I want Wilson working with our legit talent, Mims, Davis, Moore, Crowder and Cole.  Every moment wasted on Berrios is a play that should be going to these other five guys, building the timing and tempo between Wilson and those five guys.

You're probably right, we're likely keeping 6 WR's, and Berrios is the most likely #6 at current.

I simply think we should be aiming to do better.

I think that I am pretty much on record as constantly complaining about @Warfish's seeming hatred of bottom of roster guys.  That being said, I am interested in whether they consider Crowder as a returner.  Crowder was a pretty fair punt returner before he came to the Jets and through mismanagement became WR1.  Some of these other guys taking the punt return job or being able to do it in a pinch may reduce Berrios value.  No reason to save Crowder.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:13 PM, Warfish said:

We don't need 5 RB's.

We don't need 6 WR's.

Can't Wesco play both TE and FB?

Makes him more valuable and saves the roster spot for a 6th receiver that also plays special teams.  

15 hours ago, varjet said:

Wesco is the FB or cut. 

Shepherd should move on.   This is his year 4 and he is close to 30.  Kyle Phillips is making the team.  

Cashman should be replaced by a rookie.

I agree with this. While Shepherd took another step forward last year IMO, He's still replaceable with younger talent with greater upside perhaps (Marshall).

Cashman..... not worth the roster spot with all the injuries. 

Westco is replaceable as a TE and FB. Keep him in camp and see who shakes free from other teams.

My God, it looks like the Jets are actually going to have to make a few tough cuts. Maybe they won't have to fill out the roster and half the practice squad with other teams' cuts.

And, they're two most recent 2nd round draft picks might be starters!! 

I have to go lie down....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Other than TE, the offense is a playoff contending unit *IF* Wilson does well his first year out.  The defense is fair but unimpressive at the first and second level and potentially horrendous at the third level.  

The Jets really look like an "offensive" team again. 

I think you're underestimating our DL, which - especially in the Wide 9 - has the potential to be monstrous. Q as a one-gapping 3-Tech next to Lawson on the edge is going to be a lot for teams to deal with, and the rotation of Rankins and Fatukasi next to Q will be impressive. The real question is whether they can get some upside from the other DE (Huff, Curry, Phillips, Zuniga ... someone step up)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think you're underestimating our DL, which - especially in the Wide 9 - has the potential to be monstrous. Q as a one-gapping 3-Tech next to Lawson on the edge is going to be a lot for teams to deal with, and the rotation of Rankins and Fatukasi next to Q will be impressive. The real question is whether they can get some upside from the other DE (Huff, Curry, Phillips, Zuniga ... someone step up)

Dunno.  We'll have to see

On 6/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, NYJ1 said:

I like this roster and I agree with it with the lone exception of Blake Cashman. Blake Cashman, when he's actually on the field, is a really good player. I think he easily makes the roster and starts.

Blake Cashman gets injured more than he plays.  When he is on the field, healthy, he is an average linebacker.  He will get cut.

On 6/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, Warfish said:

We don't need 5 RB's.

We don't need 6 WR's.

Except Berrios is a return man and more on this team, not the #6 JAG WR.