Carl Lawson vs Pittsburgh | Every Pass Rep | All 22 Film Cut Up | 12/21/2020

Just now, DetroitRed said:

Nobody should think we are getting Khalil Mack.  We are hoping for a good unit 

Exactly. Lawson doesn't need to be anything more than who he has been for four years to be a good addition.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember watching my Dad play softball when I was a very small boy.  Everybody was clapping for this guy and saying "C'mon!  You're due!"  I asked my Dad why they were saying that and he told me "Because he can't hit." 

Surprised your dad didn't lie to make himself look better in the eyes of his son ;) 

• Haha 2

I didn't see anything in this film to get excited about. If anything, I might even be more skeptical now lol. 

My hope is that we signed the next Zadarious Smith, someone who flashed, got a big contract based mostly on potential and then showed up and earned that contract day 1. That's what I've got my fingers crossed for, even if it might be unlikely. 

Let's be honest, if we were paying Lawson based on past performance, we're probably overpaying. However, I do have some confidence in the coach, for once. My hope is that if Lawson has the drive, Saleh will find a way to put him in a position to be successful 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I didn't see anything in this film to get excited about. If anything, I might even be more skeptical now lol. 

My hope is that we signed the next Zadarious Smith, someone who flashed, got a big contract based mostly on potential and then showed up and earned that contract day 1. That's what I've got my fingers crossed for, even if it might be unlikely. 

Let's be honest, if we were paying Lawson based on past performance, we're probably overpaying. However, I do have some confidence in the coach, for once. My hope is that if Lawson has the drive, Saleh will find a way to put him in a position to be successful 

I am concerned about Lawson’s lateral agility. All the perennial sack leaders are elite in this area. Lawson is a straight-line gap shooter but I don’t think he has the bend to close consistently. Hence all the pressures but few sacks. Not saying he sucks or is worthless but I don’t see him as a guy you can count on for double digit sacks. 10 is probably his absolute ceiling. Hope this get bumped this season with a “that didn’t age well” comment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I am concerned about Lawson’s lateral agility. All the perennial sack leaders are elite in this area. Lawson is a straight-line gap shooter but I don’t think he has the bend to close consistently. Hence all the pressures but few sacks. Not saying he sucks or is worthless but I don’t see him as a guy you can count on for double digit sacks. 10 is probably his absolute ceiling. Hope this get bumped this season with a “that didn’t age well” comment.

We seem to have a bunch of guys ( minus Q) that just barely fall below being top tier players.  That can still make a terrific unit

On 6/23/2021 at 8:52 AM, jgb said:

Agreed. I'm really counting on Quinnen to be our stud pass rusher. I'm hoping all those pressures by Lawson will end up forcing the QB to stay right up in the pocket where Q can do his thing. Who knows, maybe with the pressure that Q brings, it'll prevent the QB from being able to step up and cause Lawson to miss him. 

I've been watching the Flight 2021 videos and one of the things that really stuck out to me, the DC was going over their D scheme an he said that, the way the coverage is designed you can't let the QB get past his 2nd read consistently or he'll be able to pick you them apart. If we don't apply consistent pressure, the good QBs are going to be hitting all the holes in the zone coverage. That comment/explanation makes me feel like we really need Lawson to perform in order for this D to work. And unlike our previous 3-4, we won't have the luxury of being able to send exotic blitz to make up for not having a natural pass rush. You can't blitz those LBs much without leaving huge holes in that zone scheme. 

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Agreed. I'm really counting on Quinnen to be our stud pass rusher. I'm hoping all those pressures by Lawson will end up forcing the QB to stay right up in the pocket where Q can do his thing. Who knows, maybe with the pressure that Q brings, it'll prevent the QB from being able to step up and cause Lawson to miss him. 

I've been watching the Flight 2021 videos and one of the things that really stuck out to me, the DC was going over their D scheme an he said that, the way the coverage is designed you can't let the QB get past his 2nd read consistently or he'll be able to pick you them apart. If we don't apply consistent pressure, the good QBs are going to be hitting all the holes in the zone coverage. That comment/explanation makes me feel like we really need Lawson to perform in order for this D to work. And unlike our previous 3-4, we won't have the luxury of being able to send exotic blitz to make up for not having a natural pass rush. You can't blitz those LBs much without leaving huge holes in that zone scheme. 

Good point I think the success of our line depends on synergy between Lawson and Q. Force the QB to pick his poison between stepping up to evade Lawson or roll out/hang in there to avoid the monster in the middle.

Lawson is definitely disruptive. Any time you can make the QB move around that’s ratcheting up the difficulty level for him. But I think we need to taper sack totals expectations. Just look at the QBs in our division — Allen, Cam (starter, for now) and Tua (if he has regained his pre-injury legs).

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Good point I think the success of our line depends on synergy between Lawson and Q. Force the QB to pick his poison between stepping up to evade Lawson or roll out/hang in there to avoid the monster in the middle.

Lawson is definitely disruptive. Any time you can make the QB move around that’s ratcheting up the difficulty level for him. But I think we need to taper sack totals expectations. Just look at the QBs in our division — Allen, Cam (starter, for now) and Tua (if he has regained his pre-injury legs).

Again- Right on point. 

As good as Q looked last year, a lot (if not all) of his almost sacks happened because we had absolutely no presence on the edge and any QB could easily move out to either side and buy an extra second they needed to get the ball out before Q got to them. Imagine if last year we had EDGE OLBs that caused the QB to step up in the pocket. He would have turned alot of those hurries into sacks. 

Q was that disruptive and got that kind of penetration as a 3-4 end, I can't wait to see what he can do as a 4-3 DT ?                     If Lawson can cause those hurries with any kind of consistency and make the QBs step up into the pocket he's going to land them right into Q. If that happens, I'm looking for him to be a double digit sack guy for us. Not to mention the fact that he was clearly a player still developing when we drafted him. He went from looking like another Mac bust year 1 to being our best D player year 2 - Maybe our best player period. If he's continued to put in the work that got him that sophomore year improvement, I feel like he could be legitimately scary this year. 

Like you said, so much of our pass rush is going to depend on that synergy between Q and Law 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Also, I think Curry could be an underrated pick up for us. I'm not expecting him to put up big numbers whatsoever and I have no idea if he's going to be a starter at the other end or a rotational guy but he's a seasoned vet that's been pretty good for a long time and I think his presence on that line in the locker room and on the practice field could be big for us. I kind of wish we still had Steve McClendon to rotate in next to Qwill. But I'm not going to argue with the draft pick lol

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2021 at 9:54 AM, MichaelScott said:

• Upvote 2

The most glaring name on this list is Carl Lawson. Penalties have been a weakness for the star pass rusher since his rookie season. He has committed more than twice as many penalties on a per-snap basis than the league average edge rusher. Lawson tied for 10th at his position with six penalties in the 2020 season.

Fortunately, Lawson kept the damage to a relative minimum as three of those penalties occurred pre-snap. He did not commit any roughing the passer penalties after being called for four of them over his first three seasons.