Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

18 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No way. Thefre's just to many top prospects out there. Thib, Neal, Karalaftis, Stingley, Hutchinson,  Hamilton, Olave and I havent even mentioned Qb's who are ALWAYS reached for like Howell, Coarral, Willis, Rattler, Strong

Everything’s in the eye of the beholder. I think Karlaftis and Olave are first rounders but not at that level, Stingley’s got to battle having a down year last year and being hurt, Neal and Hutchinson are probably top ten guys but not without questions, and Hamilton’s got to battle positional value.

Weak QB class too, may be more like 2013 than other years. Rattler lost his job to a true freshman and I don’t think has a chance of the first round if he’s not playing the rest of the year let alone going high in the first, Howell’s fallen way short of expectations, and nobody’s really seized that top spot or come close.

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2021 at 2:23 PM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Curious what you think of Jarrett Patterson on day 2. I want Linderbaum first and foremost, but he's played all over the line for ND and the versatility might be nice to use him at guard or backup center in a pinch, plus his mobility is a plus and seems like a good fit for ZBS.

I’ve further looked into Patterson and I am a fan but I’m not excited about him. He’s like Eichenberg last season in that he’s good but he’s not special. He’s got a bit of a lunge to his game, he isn’t fluid in space and his anchor is probably below average but he’s the best OL on a very mediocre OL and it’d be worse if he wasn’t so steady. I think steady is the most you’re gonna get out of Patterson but steady is plenty good. If we pass on Linderbaum, he’s a solid floor, low ceiling type of player in the middle rounds maybe even in the late 2nd if there’s a run on OL.

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No way. Thefre's just to many top prospects out there. Thib, Neal, Karalaftis, Stingley, Hutchinson,  Hamilton, Olave and I havent even mentioned Qb's who are ALWAYS reached for like Howell, Coarral, Willis, Rattler, Strong

Thibs, Hamilton and Linderbaum represent the top 3 players in this draft class regardless of position. Positional value will drop the latter 2 but I don’t see them falling very far. Stingley is a huge injury concern and Karlaftis is the least athletic of the top Edge talents. Howell and Rattler have played out of the first round and strong was never there. Willis, Corral and Jersey boy Kenny Pickett all have a shot to enter the top 10 though so fingers crossed. I don’t buy that any WR is top 10 good and if there is one it should be Burks. 

*Dream Scenario*

1. Lions- Matt Corral

2. Eagles- Kenny Pickett

3. Texans- Malik Willis

4. Jets- Kayvon Thibodeaux 

5. Jags- Evan Neal 

6. Eagles- Aidan Hutchinson 

7. Giants - Kyle Hamilton 

8. Jets - Tyler Linderbaum

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Thibs, Hamilton and Linderbaum represent the top 3 players in this draft class regardless of position. Positional value will drop the latter 2 but I don’t see them falling very far. Stingley is a huge injury concern and Karlaftis is the least athletic of the top Edge talents. Howell and Rattler have played out of the first round and strong was never there. Willis, Corral and Jersey boy Kenny Pickett all have a shot to enter the top 10 though so fingers crossed. I don’t buy that any WR is top 10 good and if there is one it should be Burks. 

*Dream Scenario*

1. Lions- Matt Corral

2. Eagles- Kenny Pickett

3. Texans- Malik Willis

4. Jets- Kayvon Thibodeaux 

5. Jags- Evan Neal 

6. Eagles- Aidan Hutchinson 

7. Giants - Kyle Hamilton 

8. Jets - Tyler Linderbaum

8 is a huge reach for the Jets. Russell returns soon and puts up enough wins so that pick falls back to around 11-15. Jump on Linderbaum there.

10 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

8 is a huge reach for the Jets. Russell returns soon and puts up enough wins so that pick falls back to around 11-15. Jump on Linderbaum there.

Hope Linderbaum turns down a senior bowl invite and people forget about him for that to happen.

Edit: Linderbaum is a redshirt Junior so he might be eligible for the senior bowl, I just assumed he was.

Has anyone caught Arizona State this year? Their center, Donovan West, is an interesting player in the Matt Hennessy/ Garrett Bradbury mold. What’s crazy is that West is listed as 300lbs and Linderbaum is listed at 290lbs but the gap in strength is meteoric in favor of the Hawkeye. 

West might be a draftable dude in the mid rounds tho. 

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

i mean, you're not wrong... and it is October... but we the fans have a distorted notion of who you can/can't take in the top 10. GMs gives no sh*ts about said invented rules of the draft. If we wind up at pick #5, and no one offers to trade up to with us for QB, we're not going to pass on the the obvious bluechip 12 year Center and biggest need on the team, because Olave. Just not gonna happen. 

What i think we can ALL agree on, would be a scenario where (as of Oct 26th):

• First 1st rnd pick (aprox Pick #2) gets spend on PR Thibodeaux
  • Second 1st rnd pick (aprox Pick #9) nets us C Linderbaum

That would be *chef's kiss*

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I ask this from a discussion standpoint: why is that a huge reach for the Jets? It’s subjective, but I agree with @kdels62 and others who are calling Linderbaum a top 3-5 best player in this draft. It also happens to fill a massive need for this team with a supremely gifted player. Can you really argue that replacing McGovern with an elite center wouldn’t massively upgrade the offense?  

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i mean, you're not wrong... and it is October... but we the fans have a distorted notion of who you can/can't take in the top 10. GMs gives no sh*ts about said invented rules of the draft. If we wind up at pick #5, and no one offers to trade up to with us for QB, we're not going to pass on the the obvious bluechip 12 year Center and biggest need on the team, because Olave. Just not gonna happen. 

The cool part is day 2 also looks like there may be some good tackle prospects and TE prospects as well. If this goes right, the Jets might be able to eat. 

You know, until JD trades up in round one, and passes on all that in round 2 for an undersized slot or something. 

11 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I ask this from a discussion standpoint: why is that a huge reach for the Jets? It’s subjective, but I agree with @kdels62 and others who are calling Linderbaum a top 3-5 best player in this draft. It also happens to fill a massive need for this team with a supremely gifted player. Can you really argue that replacing McGovern with an elite center wouldn’t massively upgrade the offense?  

I wouldnt take him with the 1st they have but definately with Seattle's pick.  I'd go Thib, Neal, Stingley Hutch, or Green - then Linderbaum with that 2nd pick

17 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I wouldnt take him with the 1st they have but definately with Seattle's pick.  I'd go Thib, Neal, Stingley Hutch, or Green - then Linderbaum with that 2nd pick

Neither Neal nor Green is as good at what they do as Linderbaum is at what he does. However, I can buy positional value when discussing Neal but drafting Green over Linderbaum is inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Neither Neal nor Green is as good at what they do as Linderbaum is at what he does. However, I can buy positional value when discussing Neal but drafting Green over Linderbaum is inexcusable.

Ok but it looks like we'll be picking top 4 in my estimation. Would you take Lindy at 4?  Thats quite the reach

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Ok but it looks like we'll be picking top 4 in my estimation. Would you take Lindy at 4?  Thats quite the reach

If Thibodeaux is gone then yes because  I believe that Lindy is a sure fire stud for the next 10 years at least. However being a bit more critical it’s not so cut and dry. Neal is a high potential, good performance guy at a higher valued position, he’s very tempting. Hutchinson is a good player at a premium position but this draft has a bunch of similarly talented prospects so there’s a buffer. I wouldn’t take Stingley who is riding off of his freshman year and he’s injury prone. No WR in this draft is worth passing on Linderbaum.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I get where you’re going here but I’d argue that most (not all, but most) GM’s tend to care more about the invented rules of the draft than fans (and certainly more than the GM’s should care about those invented rules). That’s why we focus on those rules so much.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

If Thibodeaux is gone then yes because  I believe that Lindy is a sure fire stud for the next 10 years at least. However being a bit more critical it’s not so cut and dry. Neal is a high potential, good performance guy at a higher valued position, he’s very tempting. Hutchinson is a good player at a premium position but this draft has a bunch of similarly talented prospects so there’s a buffer. I wouldn’t take Stingley who is riding off of his freshman year and he’s injury prone. No WR in this draft is worth passing on Linderbaum.

Love Linderbaum so I wouldnt lose it if we picked him with our first

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, derp said:

Kiper’s now got Drake London #4 on his new big board and I get it but based on the little I’ve seen I want to like London more than I actually like London.

Idk. I want to not like London but I watch his YAC ability and his size and it moves.

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Idk. I want to not like London but I watch his YAC ability and his size and it moves.

I need to get a better feel for his long speed but there’s something about the way his lower body moves when he’s trying to change direction with the ball in his hands…he’s kind of a big guy who moves like a big guy and I feel like those knees are just going to go at some point and he’ll be done. 

I feel like the big lanky guys need to be oddly strong and move like a little guy for their size (AJ Green) or absolute tanks (Mike Evans) and I worry a little that London falls into that middle ground where his movement leaves a little to be desired (even though he’s not bad after the catch) but if he puts on weight I wonder if it’s too much of a speed issue.

He’s super intriguing and honestly I need to do a deeper dive but the way he moves just wigs me out which is probably far too nitpicky. Burks is way more my type for a bigger receiver.

To play devils advocate with myself I will say his contested ability would be fantastic for a young QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I need to get a better feel for his long speed but there’s something about the way his lower body moves when he’s trying to change direction with the ball in his hands…he’s kind of a big guy who moves like a big guy and I feel like those knees are just going to go at some point and he’ll be done. 

I feel like the big lanky guys need to be oddly strong and move like a little guy for their size (AJ Green) or absolute tanks (Mike Evans) and I worry a little that London falls into that middle ground where his movement leaves a little to be desired (even though he’s not bad after the catch) but if he puts on weight I wonder if it’s too much of a speed issue.

He’s super intriguing and honestly I need to do a deeper dive but the way he moves just wigs me out which is probably far too nitpicky. Burks is way more my type for a bigger receiver.

To play devils advocate with myself I will say his contested ability would be fantastic for a young QB.

I with you. I see it. I get it. But while I was typing that London caught a screen and turned it into a first down. 

I think Burks has a better body type and he’s more explosive but London is making me deny my own beliefs on WRs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Kiper’s now got Drake London #4 on his new big board and I get it but based on the little I’ve seen I want to like London more than I actually like London.

He’s a already a good route runner and has tremendous body control.  He’s caught everything thrown at him this year and can move after the catch.  4 may be high, but in a draft that lacks a ton of elite prospects I think we’ll continue to hear about London as a consensus top 10 guy.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Has anyone caught Arizona State this year? Their center, Donovan West, is an interesting player in the Matt Hennessy/ Garrett Bradbury mold. What’s crazy is that West is listed as 300lbs and Linderbaum is listed at 290lbs but the gap in strength is meteoric in favor of the Hawkeye. 

West might be a draftable dude in the mid rounds tho. 

Haven’t watched any ASU games this year.  I watched the Oregon game looking to see Alex Forsyth but he’s still hurt, which is disappointing.  He was kinda my plan B to Tyler. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s a already a good route runner and has tremendous body control.  He’s caught everything thrown at him this year and can move after the catch.  4 may be high, but in a draft that lacks a ton of elite prospects I think we’ll continue to hear about London as a consensus top 10 guy.  

I initially thought he was just going to just be a guy with great length and good hands, but he's definitely making me warm up to him. He's the whole USC offense and teams still can't stop him. There's only so much you can ignore when he's catching like 12 passes a game.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I initially thought he was just going to just be a guy with great length and good hands, but he's definitely making me warm up to him. He's the whole USC offense and teams still can't stop him. There's only so much you can ignore when he's catching like 12 passes a game.

I wouldn’t get too emotionally invested in London however, based on what we have seen from the Jets staff, it doesn’t appear that a WR like London fits what they want to do here.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I wouldn’t get too emotionally invested in London however, based on what we have seen from the Jets staff, it doesn’t appear that a WR like London fits what they want to do here.  

I think Burks is a better fit but London is running end around and catching at al levels. I’m smitten with the guy.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don't disagree, I think they highly value versatility, tight route running, and the ability to rapidly diagnose the defense coverage out of their wideouts for the option routes. But in my head, I'm all about getting a tight end threat and wouldn't mind an option of a guy who is a safety blanket possession-WR that can win jump balls since that seems to be Wilson's predilection. 

4 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I don't disagree, I think they highly value versatility, tight route running, and the ability to rapidly diagnose the defense coverage out of their wideouts for the option routes. But in my head, I'm all about getting a tight end threat and wouldn't mind an option of a guy who is a safety blanket possession-WR that can win jump balls since that seems to be Wilson's predilection. 

I agree, but they haven’t even looked at Mims yet for a similar role.  I’m sure this off-season will bring lots of self reflection by this coaching staff however, so maybe they take a hard look at London. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Yeah it’s not that I don’t like him, I think my issue is I see a guy ranked 4 at that size and I want a WR prospect like the 2003-2011 elite guys and I don’t think the draft’s had one since. Since WR busts so much early I like a bulky second round 4.55 guy over someone in the top 5 unless I’m really really confident the dude in the top 5 is going to pan out. And elite elite skill player with the Jets’ pick plus Linderbaum with the Seattle pick would be a nice start to the draft, so I want to think of him in that regard.

One nice thing about London’s non traditional movement skills and big WR body is that this is his first year concentrating on hoops and apparently he’s already up like seven pounds. Young too, so he can certainly get there. And it’s nice he’s been their offense. Jets really need a skill guy to build their offense around.

• Upvote 1

The guard class is kind of funny because there are a bunch of big, mobile tackle conversion guys who seem like great fits and then Zion Johnson’s ceiling and floor are closer together than most of them but that floor may be pretty high.

If they wanted to take a RG and then developmental guys behind McGovern and Fant (and make the board furious for passing on Linderbaum in the process) they could draft three BC linemen and fill all those roles.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, Paradis said:

You sucked me in (no homo) on Jalen Hurd and if this doesn't happen I will send you a strongly worded DM.  

Is anyone moderaely disturbed that at least 3-4 recent mocks have us using our first pick (between 4 and 6) on Kyle Hamilton?

You know.

A SAFETY? 

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 2:45 PM, Peace Frog said:

You sucked me in (no homo) on Jalen Hurd and if this doesn't happen I will send you a strongly worded DM.  

Is anyone moderaely disturbed that at least 3-4 recent mocks have us using our first pick (between 4 and 6) on Kyle Hamilton?

You know.

A SAFETY? 

no one is more crushed than I am. He's yet to play in an NFL game.... talk about fcking injury bug - this is insane.