Leonard Williams $26MM cap hit the next two seasons

KO91

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  I was very concerned about his drafting before he arrived.  I will say that I am still concerned, but I have seen more things that I have liked.  I am generally a "traits" guy and was worried because Douglas was supposedly a "production" guy.   In all the ball washing while they were courting him, I remember reading about the near universal respect and his ability to get a language that he and the scouts could understand so that they were on the same page about prospects. 

He has been drafting tons of speed, which I love.  The drafts have not panned out as of yet, but there are certainly opportunities.   There was a bunch of boom or busting going on.  So far they have not boomed, but there is still time.  The one guy that fit what I was worried about was Perine.  The rest?  Not as much. 

I think that he is drafting for his coaches, which I think is great.  On the other hand you end up with guys like Davis and Mims that are not great fits when you switch systems.   I think Davis was drafted to play single high safety for Gregg Williams.  He had the speed and was learning the position.  He still may have value (*should* be a plus special teamer) but he isn't going to do that with Saleh.  Maybe he can fit the Lamarcus Joyner role.  Maybe.  Mims was a value WR with #1 traits.  He does not fit so great with guys valuing route running, and interchangeability.  Another guy that should have value, but it may be diminished.  Hall was a hit for where selected.  The rest?  Not so much. 

This year they drafted some guys that will need time.   The 2 S/LB hybrids are going to take time to adjust.  If Wilson and AVT hit, they are probably golden.  All those DBs are not high level guys and are being molded, but we will see how it plays out.  His draft classes played a decent amount of snaps Sunday, though when you have a sh*tty team, they ought to.  

I am actually very hopeful.  I think that if Saleh is a good coach we are in very good shape.  Douglas doesn't seem like a single minded lunatic.  Sometimes that can work (Bill Belichick is a scumbag) but you can't count on guys like Gase, Maccagnan or Idzik to get along with people.  Douglas seems like he will work with his coach and try to give him what he wants/needs.  I totally understand all the concern and complaints, but I think there is a reason for the decisions, even those I don't love and there is hope they will get it right. 

Holy @Sperm Edwards batman!  That was long.

Lol nice!

Davis also may have been bumped up on his board to rationalize drafting a day 2 safety would make Adams that much more expendable before last season started (or to take leverage away from the Adams camp should they end up going the extension route).

Of course that's not a full explanation, as there were other safeties to draft. But after taking a tackle and a WR that may have moved safety up from a positional importance standpoint.

Yes there were other positions to draft, too, but there's every likelihood if he didn't take Davis there then he'd have taken Zuniga instead, seeing how he drafted the latter just 11 slots later as it is. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Our last 3 GMs were cap gurus.  Unfortunately none of them could draft for S

Maccagnan was no cap guru. He was an idiot with regard to all things.

3 of the last 4, yeah I'll buy that one (Tannenbaum, Idzik, and now Douglas), whatever their shortcomings in other areas. But Maccagnan was awful with the cap -- and with everything else. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm with you, and if Zach goes down as a Top 10 NFL quarterback for the next decade let's build a statue of Joe Douglas in Flushing Meadows.

-but-

Let's also simultaneously promote him to SVP Salary Cap & Analytics and get him the f-ck away from anything to do with player personnel and the draft.  This guy is a ballsy negotiator but just awful at drafting and free agency.

SAR I

I haven't been blown away by JD's drafting so far, but it's still early. I still think Wilson, AVT, and Moore can all be major hits. 

The 2020 draft class looks meh at best right now, and that's assuming Becton is a longtime starter here. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let me ask you, would you approve this trade:

Leonard Williams
Jamal Adams
Robbie Anderson
The Entire 2020 Draft
The Entire 2021 Draft

-for-

Zach Wilson
Ryan Kalil
Karre Vedvik
Braden Mann

'cause that's what happened.

SAR I

Robot Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Gettleman is a Mac clone.

Wild decisions, reaches, overpays, making cap hell trying to plug holes, poor overall drafting.

15a631b1.gif?crop=0.99,0.91,x0.00,y0.06,

Maybe Gettleman was his role model.  Gettleman was Gettlemaning things up with the Giants since 1999 with a brief break to go Gettleman the Panthers.  Maccagnan never had any other job outside of the scouting department.

*To be fair that picture comes from an article saying the Giants were heavily in on Herbert despite having Jones. 

13 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Well at least he is good at something! But he does get an A for effort at drafting - and I would say a "C" for results so far.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

For the time being, it's an F.   

JD should just run EVERYTHING DRAFT related by Ozzie Newsome. They have a close relationship..... use it. Ozzie was one of the best and still has his wits about him. Sure as heck can't do any worse that JD!

I Bet GIF by chuber channel

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, varjet said:

JD is a lot better at contract management, trades and FAs than drafting. 

drafting unfortunately is the most important part of his job. 

John Idzik had the same qualification , he shed payroll and gathered picks....I pray for JD success, I do think there is building going on, Rome wasn't built in a day... IN theory we get better week to week...

3 hours ago, doitny said:

he better pick up the pace or @SAR I is going to have to stop using his name when he bashes JD on the good players he traded.

The trade wasn’t bad for the Giants. They ended up getting a really great 2nd year out of him which is fine for a 3rd and 5th. 

Giving him that extension could really backfire he reverts back to the player he’s been most of his career. As a defensive player for a $26-$27MM you better be Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack in their prime. 

3 hours ago, KO91 said:

The trade wasn’t bad for the Giants. They ended up getting a really great 2nd year out of him which is fine for a 3rd and 5th. 

Giving him that extension could really backfire he reverts back to the player he’s been most of his career. As a defensive player for a $26-$27MM you better be Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack in their prime. 

100% agree.

4 hours ago, KO91 said:

And that’s why they shouldn’t have traded for him in the first place.  By giving up the 3 and a 5 as a rebuilding team it forced them to pay up.  

You don’t give up a 3 and a 5 for a rental when you’re a non-contender, so they had to treat him like a central piece to their future.  Dumb move by Gettleman all around.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that’s why they shouldn’t have traded for him in the first place.  By giving up the 3 and a 5 as a rebuilding team it forced them to pay up.  

You don’t give up a 3 and a 5 for a rental when you’re a non-contender, so they had to treat him like a central piece to their future.  Dumb move by Gettleman all around.  

I think Marcus Maye figures he will find a team to overpay for him, like Washington did for Landon Collins.