LaFleur said that he "looked at himself hard" while trying to figure out why it's not working

44 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Our offense and defense have been making each other worse in the first half imo. A bad feedback system

The O is obviously running a script that doesn't work to our strengths and being poorly executed with Wilson missing throws, and our guys dropping throws as well. Having a mediocre run game also hurts any "establish the run" philosophy. With this, our defense is put on the field more often and is getting gassed.

The D is solid, but plays the "bend don't break" philosophy which leads to grueling deficits in time of possession regardless of them stopping the opposing team. So even though the offense is atrocious to start the game, the D isn't exactly giving them many opportunities and time to gain momentum when every opposing drive is a 5 min, 10 play slog.

Good post.

I think this is a pretty accurate description of what's going on...I think if they can convert a couple of first downs on the opening drive we might see a different game.  Conversely we're letting other offenses get in a rhythm  and take early leads...

It certainly does seem like Zach is a momentum kinda guy.  When he's playing loose he's clearly much better.  I would love to see him play with a lead.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not sure the problem is 24 scripted plays.  In fact, you could have 50 scripted plays....if they work.

They are not working.  Either change the scripted plays, or run less of them.

Some scripted plays are good. The problem is that the cone of uncertainty widens as the the game progresses. At some point, the value of playing situational football exceeds the value of knowing the play in advance.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Hex said:

There are about 21 total plays per quarter on average (I think?). half of those go to the other team, which means that LaFleur is scripting the WHOLE FIRST HALF. 'Not working' means 'Non-scripted is better than scripted', so how about mixing things up? The first half has been by far the worst half for the jets this whole season (2.6 pts/1st half to 10.2 pts/ 2nd half), so I don't see any reason to continue scripting that many plays

As Ive been saying... he's Schotty all over again. The script shall not be altered  Even though he claims othrrwise.  Absolutely hate this guy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Huge?  I dont know about that and the stats are very misleading.  Tons of garbage time stats.  Literally half his production has come in the 4th quarter and outside of the Tenn. game, they havent been competitive in a single game this year in the 4th quarter.

Actually the Carolina game was 8 points at the end of the 3rd quarter which is a one possession game and the Jets scored a touchdown to make the Falcon game a 3 point game with 6:55 left in the 4th quarter. The defense then let them go down the field for a touchdown on the next possession so they were in both games in the 4th quarter.

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

This is the NFL. A 1 score game isn't "over" until the winning team takes a knee.

This is the NFL?  NO WAY!!!

They Jets were down 2 scores in both games, they made it a 1 score game with a late 4th quarter TD's.  They were not in these games.  They were dominated from go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

Actually the Carolina game was 8 points at the end of the 3rd quarter which is a one possession game and the Jets scored a touchdown to make the Falcon game a 3 point game with 6:55 left in the 4th quarter. The defense then let them go down the field for a touchdown on the next possession so they were in both games in the 4th quarter.

It was 20-9 to start the 4th quarter vs. the Falcons till the Jets scored that TD.   19-8 vs. the Panthers.  They were down 2 scores in each game in the 4th quarter and my only point is, they D is playing him different and he's taken advantage of it.  It's the same in every game except the Broncos where he was terrible in the 4th.  You can see it by simply look at their drive charts.  They're averaging 3-5 plays with one good drive all game, then suddenly, they start sustaining drives in the 4th quarter.  

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It was 20-9 to start the 4th quarter vs. the Falcons till the Jets scored that TD.   18-9 vs. the Panthers.  They were down 2 scores in each game in the 4th quarter and my only point is, they D is playing him different and he's taken advantage of it.  It's the same in every game except the Broncos where he was terrible in the 4th.  You can see it by simply look at their drive charts.  They're averaging 3-5 plays with one good drive all game, then suddenly, they start sustaining drives in the 4th quarter.  

They’re also not wasting plays running it for 2 yards either.  Those plays are drive killers in the first halves.  

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is again, factually inaccurate.  

The Panthers scored on the opening drive of the 4th quarter to go up 19-8.  Is there a way in Football to score 11 points in one possession? 

The Falcons were up 20-9 to start the 4th quarter.  Is there a way to score 11 points in one possession? 

Both teams dominated the Jets.  

I look forward to your neg rep.

52 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

They Jets were down 2 scores in both games, they made it a 1 score game with a late 4th quarter TD's.  They were not in these games.  They were dominated from go. 

Down 1 score with ~2 minutes left is still in the game. I don't really consider that garbage time. I'm not saying they weren't outplayed for a majority of the game, but you're talking like they were down 3+ scores with under a minute to go.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Down 1 score with ~2 minutes left is still in the game. I don't really consider that garbage time. I'm not saying they weren't outplayed for a majority of the game, but you're talking like they were down 3+ scores with under a minute to go.

2 scores.  2.  11 pts both games 

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The Panthers scored on the opening drive of the 4th quarter to go up 19-8.  Is there a way in Football to score 11 points in one possession? 

The Falcons were up 20-9 to start the 4th quarter.  Is there a way to score 11 points in one possession? 

Both teams dominated the Jets.  

I look forward to your neg rep.

If you want to focus on things like the only reason the Jets play well is the 2nd half is because the other teams aren't trying you really need to look at your perspective.

The Titans weren't in a soft zone letting the Jets move down the field to take the lead.

Atlanta did not allow the Jets to march down the field to bring the score within 3 (with plenty fo time left)

Look, I'm not saying the Jets have been good, they haven't....but this idea that because they played like sh*t in the first half, means they couldn't possibly play better in the second and the only reason they score or move the ball is because the other team is letting them.

It's just a cynical view that seems to be skewed by a dislike of the team's QB.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Most teams consider themselves in the game if they cut a lead to 3 points with 6:55 to go in the game. I guess if you were a coach you would just lay down at that point because we aren’t in this game boys. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The Jets seem to be manhandled…..   stats aside, they appear to be lesser prepared, lesser talented etc.   

I agree with this - I was just pointing out that the I don't believe the only reason the Jets scored or played well is because the other teams were letting them...

There is actually little doubt in my mind that if the Jets come up with a stop against Atlanta on 3rd and 12 in the 4th, they would have driven down the field, scored and won the game.  They were comfortably moving the ball and Atlanta clearly didn't let them drive the field to come within 3.

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you want to focus on things like the only reason the Jets play well is the 2nd half is because the other teams aren't trying you really need to look at your perspective.

The Titans weren't in a soft zone letting the Jets move down the field to take the lead.

Atlanta did not allow the Jets to march down the field to bring the score within 3 (with plenty fo time left)

Look, I'm not saying the Jets have been good, they haven't....but this idea that because they played like sh*t in the first half, means they couldn't possibly play better in the second and the only reason they score or move the ball is because the other team is letting them.

It's just a cynical view that seems to be skewed by a dislike of the team's QB.  

If you think I'm sitting here saying, they're not trying, you need to look at your perspective.

I'm not talking about the Titans.  That is the outlier.  

The Jets were down 17-27 when Zach threw the ball on every single down on the last meaningful drive of the game. 

Look, I'm not saying Zach doesnt deserve credit for completing passes and doing the things you need to in the 4th quarter of games they were really never in, I'm just saying, the defense treats you a little different and I think it's very convenient to think the light just suddenly went off for the offense.  Cause and effect seems more likely considering the trend.

And again, there we also some garbage times drives in the blow outs.  So I dont think it's cynical to you know, use logic. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Most teams consider themselves in the game if they cut a lead to 3 points with 6:55 to go in the game. I guess if you were a coach you would just lay down at that point because we aren’t in this game boys. ?

Again, I'm not saying anything more other than a defense treats a two score lead, different.  You dont want to give up the quick game changing playing and while you certainly dont want a score, you'll live with a long methodical time consuming drive.  Especially one the ends in a FG with 17 seconds left in a 10 score game.

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Again, I'm not saying anything more other than a defense treats a two score lead, different.  You dont want to give up the quick game changing playing and while you certainly dont want a score, you'll live with a long methodical time consuming drive.  Especially one the ends in a FG with 17 seconds left in a 10 score game.

But in the Atlanta example they cut it to 3 with 6:55 left. They are not out of the game at that point.