The New York Jets offensive line created Texas-sized lanes in Houston

LIJetsFan

The myth that the Jets OL is a trainwreck behind which no QB can succeed exists only in the minds of those who seek a salve for Zach's struggles. From our friends at PFF (this write-up was from week 10, the latest I could find without a membership):

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

Best-graded: C Connor McGovern | 73.1
Worst-graded: G Greg Van Roten | 63.0

The Jets' offensive line has been a pleasant surprise this season and may continue to look better if rookie quarterback Zach Wilson is forced from the starting lineup for a while. Wilson has one of the league’s longest average times to throw and has not been helping his line look good. Both Mike White and Josh Johnson were immediately better in that area. This unit has been particularly good as a run-blocking line, ranking 10th league-wide with a 78.5 PFF grade in that facet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

The myth that the Jets OL is a trainwreck behind which no QB can succeed exists only in the minds of those who seek a salve for Zach's struggles. From our friends at PFF (this write-up was from week 10, the latest I could find without a membership):

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

The Jets' offensive line has been a pleasant surprise this season and may continue to look better if rookie quarterback Zach Wilson is forced from the starting lineup for a while. Wilson has one of the league’s longest average times to throw and has not been helping his line look good. Both Mike White and Josh Johnson were immediately better in that area. This unit has been particularly good as a run-blocking line, ranking 10th league-wide with a 78.5 PFF grade in that facet. 

Funny, how I saw this thread and then saw you made a post on the home page...before reading it I KNEW your post would have something to do with attacking ZW.

An article positive about the Jets and its OL - and you have to ruin it with further attacks on ZW,  

There's plenty of places to go after the QB on this forum - not every thread needs to be about your agenda.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Funny, how I saw this thread and then saw you made a post on the home page...before reading it I KNEW your post would have something to do with attacking ZW.

An article positive about the Jets and its OL - and you have to ruin it with further attacks on ZW,  

There's plenty of places to go after the QB on this forum - not every thread needs to be about your agenda.

Johnny Carson Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

But those that attack the Jets weaponz, coaches, front office, offensive line, the media, the refs, other Jets fans, to prop up Zach are the positive ones, right?

Not coming from me.  

Not every thread has to be about your views of Zach Wilson.  

I think everyone on this board knows your position,  I would think continuing it on the multitude of bash ZW threads is probably sufficient.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not every thread has to be about your views of Zach Wilson.  

I'll make a deal: if his defenders stop defending, I'll stop opining. You can be the first. Set an example for your brethren. Give peace a chance!

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I know it's WAY too soon to panic but I'm more worried about Zack than I care to admit.  His footwork suks so he can't hit the short pass.  Then when he looks to go longer he holds on to the ball WAY too long.  Happy feet.  These are not good things!   

• Upvote 2

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the OL this offseason. Looks like AVT is a stud. Believe the Moses and LDT contracts expire this offseason and the McGovern and Fant contracts expire the following offseason. Most young enough as OL they could keep playing if the team likes what they’re doing and wants continuity. Douglas has largely let guys walk and tried to draft. This next draft and what they do at RG will be interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, derp said:

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the OL this offseason. Looks like AVT is a stud. Believe the Moses and LDT contracts expire this offseason and the McGovern and Fant contracts expire the following offseason. Most young enough as OL they could keep playing if the team likes what they’re doing and wants continuity. Douglas has largely let guys walk and tried to draft. This next draft and what they do at RG will be interesting.

Yeah, JD was mostly a dud while Gase was here BUT with Saleh he's doing all that anyone could realistically expect and hope for.  Go Jets!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I'll make a deal: if his defenders stop defending, I'll stop opining. You can be the first. Set an example for your brethren. Give peace a chance!

Have an opinion.  Share that opinion.  Just doesn't have to be every thread...specifically the positive and/or ones that aren't about him.

Note: I haven't blamed anyone for his problems since week 3.  Team around him sucked early.  

Right now, his problems are of his making - there is no doubt about that - but he has gotten better in many respects - just not is some others.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I know it's WAY too soon to panic but I'm more worried about Zack than I care to admit.  His footwork suks so he can't hit the short pass.  Then when he looks to go longer he holds on to the ball WAY too long.  Happy feet.  These are not good things!   

I really can't blame you for being super worried...

Here's what I'm hanging my hat on.  I know the short throws are being blamed on the footwork and all..but come on..I can throw a five yard out accurately, haven't played football in 20 years and have no footwork.  There's something in his head and its got him all screwed up.  

Causing him to hold the ball too long because he's not trusting himself.  

I get it, it's bad.  It honestly it.  but he has been getting better in many ways...He has to figure out what the hell is going on his head with those throws....

He may not...and we're in trouble...

But if he does I honestly think you'll see him make major strides very quickly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Have an opinion.  Share that opinion.  Just doesn't have to be every thread...specifically the positive and/or ones that aren't about him.

Note: I haven't blamed anyone for his problems since week 3.  Team around him sucked early.  

Right now, his problems are of his making - there is no doubt about that - but he has gotten better in many respects - just not is some others.

I'm sorry that my content fails to please you. Please don't unsubscribe. I live for your downvotes. Love me or hate me, just please don't ignore me!

• Haha 1

This  cuts against the "Why don't these coaches quit their offensive/defensive schemes after 2 bad weeks and just run schemes these players are known to be good at" nonsense. Many here wanted Lafleur to drop the ineffective zone blocking scheme. 

When you bring in a guy like Lafleur you don't force him to give up on his system after a couple of bad weeks. You give the players time to learn and feel comfortable in the system. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I really can't blame you for being super worried...

Here's what I'm hanging my hat on.  I know the short throws are being blamed on the footwork and all..but come on..I can throw a five yard out accurately, haven't played football in 20 years and have no footwork.  There's something in his head and its got him all screwed up.  

Causing him to hold the ball too long because he's not trusting himself.  

I get it, it's bad.  It honestly it.  but he has been getting better in many ways...He has to figure out what the hell is going on his head with those throws....

He may not...and we're in trouble...

But if he does I honestly think you'll see him make major strides very quickly.

did you see a deep pass? maybe thats what messing with his head.

i think the CS is forcing him to go thru all his short passes before looking deep. i hope im wrong but if we dont see at least one throw over 30 yds i would be very nervous.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

did you see a deep pass? maybe thats what messing with his head.

i think the CS is forcing him to go thru all his short passes before looking deep. i hope im wrong but if we dont see at least one throw over 30 yds i would be very nervous.

Well, I saw a 30 yard pass to Griffen in the end zone that he dropped.

With that said, IMO, your concern is where I've seen a lot of progress.  He didn't force anything, he didn't make any "Hero" throws - he checked down and threw the ball away.  This is what people wanted to see.  

To me, he understood there was a strong running game, defense was playing well and didn't feel the need to force anything.

That is progress - and he should be getting credit for that.  

He's learning...he's getting better - but he just can't seem to get into the flow of the game early.  He's starting out every game with a handful of really bad throws, unacceptable throws for an NFL QB - then seems to settle in and play well.  I can't understand why, but have to believe he'll figure that out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

15th isn't too great.  definition of average.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

15th isn't too great.  definition of average.

It's not great - but considering how dreadful they were last year, and how they started out so poorly this season, workling their way back up to average is a hopeful sign for better than average going forward.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Exactly. They are average. So the argument is that Zach needs what -- a better than average OL to not play like the worst QB in the NFL?

a GOOD offensive line is what most successful QBs have in front of them.  i'm not defending zach, he's gotta be better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, heymangold said:

a GOOD offensive line is what most successful QBs have in front of them.  i'm not defending zach, he's gotta be better.

Ok, let's play. So if Zach is the NFL's worst-rated passer with an average OL, what would he be behind a good one?

Thread has shifted to Wilson, but to get back to the line, I can’t wait to see Carter back! That guy is having one hell of a year and now with our new RG, it should be even more fun. He must be drooling. 

If we are this successful on the ground each week, we can win games. If we do this against the Eagles, I’d be confident predicting a win. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

Thread has shifted to Wilson, but to get back to the line, I can’t wait to see Carter back! That guy is having one hell of a year and now with our new RG, it should be even more fun. He must be drooling. 

If we are this successful on the ground each week, we can win games. If we do this against the Eagles, I’d be confident predicting a win. 

Carter can be a piece for us. Elite lateral motion, if we create ways to get him the ball in space great things can happen. Probably still need a banger between the tackles to round out the run game but those guys are pretty easy to find.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

The oline played poorly early in the season ( we all agree). It has played better in recent weeks. The main reason Zach didn't play well in those weeks was due to him not actually playing. It's tough to produce when you are injured, but facts never got in the way of you making a negative Zach post. 

Zach did play last week behind an improved oline, and while he didn't play great, he did play well enough to lead them to a victory....which is kind of important.

And for all the hate on Zach, he has double the wins of White/Flacco/Johnson. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The oline played poorly early in the season ( we all agree). It has played better in recent weeks. The main reason Zach didn't play well in those weeks was due to him not actually playing. It's tough to produce when you are injured, but facts never got in the way of you making a negative Zach post. 

Zach did play last week behind an improved oline, and while he didn't play great, he did play well enough to lead them to a victory....which is kind of important.

Color me confused. Your tone says you disagree that the OL's early struggles were on Zach but your words say exactly that.

Regarding your suggestion that Zach played above anything less than terrible last week because the Jets won (58%, 145 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 58 rating) -- then you must think Trubisky is absolutely elite. He's a 58% game winner with a ton better production than that.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Color me confused. Your tone says you disagree that the OL's early struggles were on Zach but your words say exactly that.

The Oline struggled early because they were learning a new scheme. Nothing to do with Zach

The oline has done better of late. Also, nothing to do with Zach as evidenced by them doing well without Zach and them doing well last week WITH Zach. 

Not everything that happens with the Jets is about Zach. 

Clear enough?

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

From what I've seen posted on these boards is not hate so much as surprise at the number of flaws Zach has.....more than I for one expected out of a #2 JD pick.  And more than I expected this CS would be unable up to now to correct.  

So, lot's of time yet left for Zack to improve and again, mostly it's not hate it's concern and disappointment.  IMHO throwing the "hate" word around just makes for more contentious and venom filled threads

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Oline struggled early because they were learning a new scheme. Nothing to do with Zach

The oline has done better of late. Also, nothing to do with Zach as evidenced by them doing well without Zach and them doing well last week WITH Zach. 

Not everything that happens with the Jets is about Zach. 

Clear enough?

Whew. For a minute I had an existential crisis thinking we agreed about something.

• Haha 1