2021 NFL rookie grades, AFC East: Dolphins and Patriots load up; Jets mix good with BAD

maury77

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-rookie-grades-afc-east-dolphins-and-patriots-load-up-jets-mix-good-with

Jets are ranked 3rd out of 4 teams in the AFC East

"Let's start with the bad: Wilson just did not look like an NFL quarterback in Year 1. After sitting behind BYU's impenetrable wall of an offensive line and lighting up college football in 2020, the No. 2 overall pick experienced a rude awakening in the NFL. Outside of a strong Week 17 start where he nearly led the Jets to a shocking upset of the Buccaneers, the 22-year-old consistently appeared overwhelmed. Wilson didn't just fail the eye test, either, finishing dead last among qualified QBs in passer rating, second-to-last in QBR and in the nether regions of PFF's QB grades and Gregg Rosenthal's final rankings. Oh, and then franchise legend Joe Namath did his pile-on thing. Sad. Now, one year a career does not make. Wilson still has the tools for this trade, with natural arm talent and underrated athleticism. (Remember the 52-yard TD scamper?!) But he was just in above his head as a rookie starter. And something tells me the New York media beast won't exactly practice patience if he doesn't show significant improvement early on in Year 2.

Now for the good: While the Jets' first selection struggled mightily, their next three picks provided positive returns in three need areas. Vera-Tucker made the PFWA All-Rookie Team as an athletic left guard who's a weapon in the run game. If Mekhi Becton can get his body (and mind?) right this offseason, the Jets will head into 2022 with an enticing young combo on the left side of the offensive line. Moore, New York's only pick on Day 2 of the draft, missed multiple games due to injury, but when he played, he showed plenty of promise. Before suffering the quad injury that prematurely ended his season in early December, Moore was on a six-game tear that saw him rack up 34 catches for 459 yards and five touchdowns -- and that was with four different quarterbacks throwing him the football! Michael Carter also dealt with injuries, but the fourth-rounder was easily New York's best backfield weapon as a runner and receiver. Coincidentally, he wasn't the only Michael Carter to produce in this rookie group, as Michael Carter II did a pretty nice job as the team's starting nickelback."

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@FidelioJet isn’t going to like this guy’s opinion of Zach very much, so I’m sending out the Fido signal here.

This could get really good….

I'm really trying not to avoid the nonsense, at least until camp starts...but I'll be back with a vengeance!

But, you are 100% correct, that part of the article infuriated me :-)

• Upvote 1

As usual, overly excited about what the Pats and the Dolphins did, harder on Jets. Rarely does a rookie QB light it up in his rookie year especially on a crappy team and a new coaching staff. Yeah, Mac Jones had 'better' numbers and more wins, but we shall see how he looks next year now that teams know how to play him.

But, yeah, the Jets draft was a. mixed. bag (probably best draft in a long time), and of course, Pats and Miami were brilliant - got to love it.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:35 PM, Green Ghost said:

@FidelioJet isn’t going to like this guy’s opinion of Zach very much, so I’m sending out the Fido signal here.

This could get really good….

@maury77 posted a negative review of Zach?!?

Meme Reaction GIF

This post will be equally shocking for JN.  I Hal N of Provo, will now post a positive view of why Zach is the perfect guy at QB for the NYJ:

3 hours ago, tfine said:

It’s amazing how Wilson gets all this bashing…but no one mentioned “generational” talent Trevor Lawrence struggling mightily as well..and with a more talented offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Are you a Jaguars fan? Who cares

If Wilson isn’t good and neither is Lawrence we are still screwed 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Meh. It's all about Wilson. Either you believe he'll gell into a solid QB or not. That's the ballgame.

Yep and durability. 

Loved Moore but he still missed a lot of time. All of these guys need to tough it out and play full seasons eventually or we will be on the never ending hampster wheel

Bur yea with Wilson; we are pretty much ****ed if he busts out 

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yep and durability. 

Loved Moore but he still missed a lot of time. All of these guys need to tough it out and play full seasons eventually or we will be on the never ending hampster wheel

Bur yea with Wilson; we are pretty much ****ed if he busts out 

What do you think of Wilson's chances to become a FQB?  

11 hours ago, tfine said:

It’s amazing how Wilson gets all this bashing…but no one mentioned “generational” talent Trevor Lawrence struggling mightily as well..and with a more talented offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-rookie-grades-afc-south-texans-maximize-limited-draft-currency-to-easil