Did Joe Douglas Comments Reveal Jets Draft Plans?

JetNation

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Using "projected growth" into the equation when you're building a roster is a recipe for disaster.   You hope for growth and plan for none.  Until you have a top 10 QB you can't leave question marks on the offensive side of the ball. They're trying to fill holes around the QB with known quantities, not rookie lottery tickets. That's why the Jets are being so aggressive in trying to bring in a #1 WR. 

Exactly ? 

Just like expectations, never have them you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The only way I see them drafting Gardner is if they make a trade for a WR that doesn't include one of their 1st rd picks.  I'd be fine with 2 defensive picks in the 1st round but only if they address the WR position prior to the draft.  

How about this.

They take Sauce at # 4.  If London is still there at # 10, they take him.

If not, they trade out of # 10 for extra picks and then, take one of the following WR's later in the first round or early in the second if they trade out of the first round

Olave, Wilson, Burks, Williams, Sky Moore (love this player) or Dotson (also great potential)

After that, they take the best pure edge rusher with their third pick, even if it is a 3rd down player only. 

Trade the 4th to Saints for both their 1sts then trade both 2nds to trade with Cardinal and get 23rd pick - trade the 19th pick for DK. Use other 3 1st round picks on Good stuff. 

3 first Round picks plus DK Metcalf. Win games 

TLDR: imaginary scenario that isn’t possible 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

How about this.

They take Sauce at # 4.  If London is still there at # 10, they take him.

If not, they trade out of # 10 for extra picks and then, take one of the following WR's later in the first round or early in the second if they trade out of the first round

Olave, Wilson, Burks, Williams, Sky Moore (love this player) or Dotson (also great potential)

After that, they take the best pure edge rusher with their third pick, even if it is a 3rd down player only. 

Edge is the most important position on defense and more of a need than CB. Why would they ever pass up an Edge at 4 for a CB in that scenario? It goes against everything the GM and HC have been saying for a year and all off-season. They've been repeating the same statement over and over. They want pass rushers and to surround the QB with talent. In no scenario does that involve taking a CB with a premium pick. That's not based on my opinion, it's based on what the people making the decision have been saying. I really don't think the Jets believe there is a hole at CB. I think they're happy with Reed, Hall, Echols and Carter. Plus the addition of Whitehead at Safety. The additions of Reed and Whitehead will make that secondary a much better unit than last year. 

If the Jets go into the year with the same WR's they had last year and a 2nd round Rookie it will be a disaster. They know that too and that's why they've been aggressively trying to go after a #1 WR.

This is what I think the Jets would like to see happen:

Trade their 2 2nds for a #1 WR

Draft a DE at 4

Trade #10 to a QB needy team like the Steelers and pick up a 2nd rd pick by doing so. 

Utilize 4 of their first 5 picks on defense, maybe all 5.  

Use the middle/late rounds to bring in a HB, TE and offensive lineman who fit the scheme to groom. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jim Leonhard?? I liked Leonhard but come on. Ramsey was getting worked up and down in the playoffs...the Jets have a ton of DB's. Taking two in the top 10  would be another example of the Jets not knowing what the drafts all about.

A team with this many holes shouldn't pick two of any position in the top 10.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

If it is Sauce and Hamilton, I am OK with it.  YES... Two DB's.  If they draft ANY of the so called DE's, I'm going to have a meltdown, because they all suck and Thibx is a big risk of being a bust. 

The way I see it, I cant possibly imagine that JD sees Thibx, Johnson II or Walker as a good first round pick.  

It has to be Sauce / Hamilton or Sauce / London

Possibly even Ickey / London or Ickey / Hamilton if they are convinced Becton is a total flake. 

I’d say get ready for a meltdown. Only way jets aren’t taking a DE at 4 is if the first 3 picks are all DEs.

If JD takes both sauce and Hamilton in the first he should be fired on the spot and not allowed to even finish the draft. Talk about a nightmare scenario and a complete waste of 2 top 10 draft picks. 

9 hours ago, choon328 said:

Edge is the most important position on defense and more of a need than CB. Why would they ever pass up an Edge at 4 for a CB in that scenario?

Not saying that this is the scenario - but if the Edge is a Bryan Thomas prospect and the CB is a Darrelle Revis prospect, who would you choose? Or what if the edge is a Vernon Gholston prospect?

Purely hypothetical, but you have to look at the player and the position combined, and not just draft a position because you need that position. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

This is what I think the Jets would like to see happen:

Trade their 2 2nds for a #1 WR

Draft a DE at 4

Trade #10 to a QB needy team like the Steelers and pick up a 2nd rd pick by doing so. 

Utilize 4 of their first 5 picks on defense, maybe all 5.  

Use the middle/late rounds to bring in a HB, TE and offensive lineman who fit the scheme to groom. 

The WR trade? Definitely. 

#4? I really think that they would absolutely love to trade out of that one, and get some capital in 2023 back as part of the deal. 

Can’t see them going 4/5 defense, not even with the WR trade figured in, but I didn’t think they’d go 4/4 on offense last year, either, so what do I know?

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

A team with this many holes shouldn't pick two of any position in the top 10.

True, but if we did I’d say pick two Edge, I know offense needs help but damn be nice if you and Shane could stand up and actually feel like they might get sacks on 3rd and  long. “ Whats that?” A strip sack recovered for a score?  Come on boss!!!!,” you know you want it!” 

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

Edge is the most important position on defense and more of a need than CB. Why would they ever pass up an Edge at 4 for a CB in that scenario?

Because they do need another CB.  Because Sauce is arguably the best player in the draft.  Because the edge rushers in the draft are second round quality at best.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I’d say get ready for a meltdown. Only way jets aren’t taking a DE at 4 is if the first 3 picks are all DEs.

If JD takes both sauce and Hamilton in the first he should be fired on the spot and not allowed to even finish the draft. Talk about a nightmare scenario and a complete waste of 2 top 10 draft picks. 

I dont even think Mr. Coffee would be fool enough to take either Thibs or the Mummy with the # 4 pick. 

If JD has the smarts I hope to hell he has, it will be Sauce or Ickey.  And why ??? They are the two best players in the draft, they are positions of great value and they fill a need.  

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

True, but if we did I’d say pick two Edge, I know offense needs help but damn be nice if you and Shane could stand up and actually feel like they might get sacks on 3rd and  long. “ Whats that?” A strip sack recovered for a score?  Come on boss!!!!,” you know you want it!” 

Carl Lawson, yes, QB pressure would be sweet!

Alright you convinced me. They need to draft two quarterbacks.  :)

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Of course Zach is.  You haters should know he’s under a microscope without having to explain that.  

That’s why JD is a moron if he doesn’t improve the WRs.  

I have seldom witnessed a more hated Rookie QB than Zach.

We are all famished for a good season with excellent QB play but come on, this is too much. I was not happy with his play either but I am going to give him at the very least this season to show vast improvement.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Not saying that this is the scenario - but if the Edge is a Bryan Thomas prospect and the CB is a Darrelle Revis prospect, who would you choose? Or what if the edge is a Vernon Gholston prospect?

Purely hypothetical, but you have to look at the player and the position combined, and not just draft a position because you need that position. 

Prospect and what they turned out to be are two entirely different things.  Nobody thought Revis would be one of the greatest CB's of all time and a lot of people believed Gholston was a can't miss prospect.  Gholston was a consensus top 5 pick on every draft guru's board.  Revis wasn't even the highest rated CB in that draft, Leon Hall was.

So yes, if you have the foresight to know that Gardner will become Revis and Walker will become Gholston then the choice is obvious.  But since NOBODY can say that with any conviction, and if they do they're lying, then when you have players graded similarly you take the position of need.  Gardner is not that much highly rated then any of the top 4 DE's that you'd take him over them.  Also, I don't think he's head and shoulder better than the next 3 CB's.  I think it's a lot closer than people want to believe.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Because they do need another CB.  Because Sauce is arguably the best player in the draft.  Because the edge rushers in the draft are second round quality at best.

They really don't need another CB for this defense.  Without Stingley's injury question marks Gardner wouldn't even be the first CB off the board.  And a guy like McDuffie is not far behind Gardner either.  Treating Gardner like some future Revis b/c he locked down WR's in one of the worst D1 conferences in College football is getting out of hand.  

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He was easily playing as a #1 second half of season when healthy. It is not unreasonable to almost expect him to be a WR#1. That does not change the fact we still need a #1 WR other than him

We need 3 #1’s WR’s. Next topic. 

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They really don't need another CB for this defense.  Without Stingley's injury question marks Gardner wouldn't even be the first CB off the board.  And a guy like McDuffie is not far behind Gardner either.  Treating Gardner like some future Revis b/c he locked down WR's in one of the worst D1 conferences in College football is getting out of hand.  

Sauce is a complete football player and will be a core leader. 

JD is going edge. Would Walker, Thibs, Hutch go 1,2,3? Then we are presented with a conundrum. Signing Reed as the other CB makes this pretty evident that JD is looking at anything but a CB at 4. Now if Sauce falls to 10…..then by all means. But again, what happens at 4 impacts what happens at 10. There are some good cb’s to be had in round 2 as well to shore up the secondary. Edge, WR, LB, OT are the focus. Later in draft JD can address DT, TE, RB