Did Joe Douglas Comments Reveal Jets Draft Plans?

JetNation

Joe Douglas

Did Joe Douglas Comments Reveal Jets Draft Plans? How Sam Darnold trade can keep helping Jets.

On this episode of JetNation Radio AM, Glenn Naughton comments on how Joe Douglas may have tipped the team’s hand in terms of what they’re planning to do come draft time and how the team can continue to benefit from their trade of Sam Darnold one year ago.

The post Did Joe Douglas Comments Reveal Jets Draft Plans? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

No your wrong.  

Elijah Moore did nothing to prove he’s a WR1.  He showed some potential and some major holes in his game to be a WR1.  It’s irresponsible to bank on him making that jump - because it’s probably 50/50 at best.  

He was easily playing as a #1 second half of season when healthy. It is not unreasonable to almost expect him to be a WR#1. That does not change the fact we still need a #1 WR other than him

• Upvote 4

4 and 10 are probably going to be defense.

Those expecting a WR should begin to wrap their head around it now.

JD will address WR by trading up mid-late in round 1 if somebody slips inexplicably like Lamb did a couple of years ago… or he will wait until round 2.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

JD will address WR by trading up mid-late in round 1 if somebody slips inexplicably like Lamb did a couple of years ago… or he will wait until round 2.

Fíne by me, but if the WRs suck again and that’s all JD does this off-season, get your head around JD’s seat heating up.  

They sucked last season and the group is worse today.  Same group minus 2 contributors.  

I think he’s going to do something to fix it though, so probably a non issue.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

No you’re wrong.  (Edited for @Embrace the Suck)

Elijah Moore did nothing to prove he’s a WR1.  He showed some potential and some major holes in his game to be a WR1.  It’s irresponsible to bank on him making that jump - because it’s probably 50/50 at best.  

He looked good with White and Flacco throwing him the ball. 

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

IMO, biggest concern with Moore is the injury risk.

Second biggest concern is…. Well, you know, 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Should probably treat Zach the same then.

5 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Fíne by me, but if the WRs suck again and that’s all JD does this off-season, get your head around JDs seats going to start heating up.  

They sucked last season and the group is worse today.  Same group minus 2 contributors.  

I think he’s going to do something to fix it though, so probably a non issue.  

JD got two TEs that can contribute as receivers.

He will address WR but not before, as Glenn pointed out, the more glaring need of pass-rusher(s).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He looked good with White and Flacco throwing him the ball. 

Second biggest concern is…. Well, you know, 

Yeah.  He would have never fallen on his ass on a goal line play designed for him with the inspirational My Quite behind him!  

A whole season long with a quad?  Probably a protest to get Flacco out there.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think the opposite.  If the Jets can't make a trade for a #1 WR, I believe they're using #4 on their top WR in the draft.  I don't think they'll risk missing out on their top guy by waiting till 10.  Any WR hungry team will be trying to move up past them to get "their" guy and it's easier to do that at 10 than at 4.  

As far as CB I don't think a CB is realistic that early.  They brought in Reed and Hall is a good #2 and Michael Carter played very good in the slot.  I don't see how they're using a top 10 pick on a position that they admittedly don't consider "premium".  I think a really good DE will drop to 10 because I think 4 OL, 1 CB, 1 WR, 1 QB and 2 DE's will go in the top 9 picks.  I think the Jets will have the choice between 3 of these 4 DE's at 10:

Thibs

Walker

Jermaine Johnson

Karlaftis

That's why going WR first makes the most sense, especially if they feel like Garrett Wilson is their clear cut #1 WR.

I like GW as the best WR in this class also. But I would strongly consider drafting two edge rushers before him.  

Think Freeney and Mathis… how nice would that be?

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I like GW as the best WR in this class also. But I would strongly consider drafting two edge rushers before him.  

Think Freeney and Mathis… how nice would that be?

I think 1-5 the DE's are pretty similar,  I don't think you can say the same for the WR's. Supply matters

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

i tend to disagree.  moore improved dramatically as the season went on.  obviously part of being a number one receiver is being able to stay on the field but at least moore showed he has the talent. i think he is going to give opponents fits.

• Upvote 1

I can't listen here,. but is the premise that he propped Moore up as WR1, so they aren't drafting WR?  I'd say the fact that they went that deep on Hill and have been sniffing around Metcalf and anyone else with a pulse indicates that he knows the WR room is not complete.  Whether they draft WR or not, that is obvious.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Truth of the matter is if the talent and overall intangibles of the college players compared(Critical positions now i.e OT, Edge, WR, CB, etc.) are very close then perhaps you probably go for the position more of need. But, if the players are not even close in talent level you have to go BAP. All the Jets fans are going to probably boo, but if when they pick at 4 if say Neal and Thibs are there and the Jets feel Neal is the BAP player by far they should and likely would take him. Do we have more of a need at Edge than OT, yes, but we can't deprive ourselves of better blue chip prospects just because we have holes now. Because down the line taking the better players will make us more of a contender when the time comes. We keep expecting to fill needs completely right now and we are just never going to improve to being a very good team.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If it is Sauce and Hamilton, I am OK with it.  YES... Two DB's.  If they draft ANY of the so called DE's, I'm going to have a meltdown, because they all suck and Thibx is a big risk of being a bust. 

The way I see it, I cant possibly imagine that JD sees Thibx, Johnson II or Walker as a good first round pick.  

It has to be Sauce / Hamilton or Sauce / London

Possibly even Ickey / London or Ickey / Hamilton if they are convinced Becton is a total flake. 

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If it is Sauce and Hamilton, I am OK with it.  YES... Two DB's.  If they draft ANY of the so called DE's, I'm going to have a meltdown, because they all suck and Thibx is a big risk of being a bust. 

The way I see it, I cant possibly imagine that JD sees Thibx, Johnson II or Walker as a good first round pick.  

It has to be Sauce / Hamilton or Sauce / London

Possibly even Ickey / London or Ickey / Hamilton if they are convinced Becton is a total flake. 

Corners are a dime a dozen. Hamilton just isnt that good. That would be worst case scenario. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I think the opposite.  If the Jets can't make a trade for a #1 WR, I believe they're using #4 on their top WR in the draft.  I don't think they'll risk missing out on their top guy by waiting till 10.  Any WR hungry team will be trying to move up past them to get "their" guy and it's easier to do that at 10 than at 4.  

As far as CB I don't think a CB is realistic that early.  They brought in Reed and Hall is a good #2 and Michael Carter played very good in the slot.  I don't see how they're using a top 10 pick on a position that they admittedly don't consider "premium".  I think a really good DE will drop to 10 because I think 4 OL, 1 CB, 1 WR, 1 QB and 2 DE's will go in the top 9 picks.  I think the Jets will have the choice between 3 of these 4 DE's at 10:

Thibs

Walker

Jermaine Johnson

Karlaftis

That's why going WR first makes the most sense, especially if they feel like Garrett Wilson is their clear cut #1 WR.

If they have one WR they love at #4 that they don’t believe will last to #10, I’m down with this strategy. If they have one of those four Edges head & shoulders above the rest, though, that might complicate matters. 

If they don’t do anything else in free agency, I want a WR, TE, & RB from this draft. In fact, I’d happily consider double-dipping at WR with a trade back or two. They really need to add a WR who can, at least, potentially be a #1 type this year. If they can’t get that via trade, they have to grab a guy in the draft. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Truth of the matter is if the talent and overall intangibles of the college players compared(Critical positions now i.e OT, Edge, WR, CB, etc.) are very close then perhaps you probably go for the position more of need. But, if the players are not even close in talent level you have to go BAP. All the Jets fans are going to probably boo, but if when they pick at 4 if say Neal and Thibs are there and the Jets feel Neal is the BAP player by far they should and likely would take him. Do we have more of a need at Edge than OT, yes, but we can't deprive ourselves of better blue chip prospects just because we have holes now. Because down the line taking the better players will make us more of a contender when the time comes. We keep expecting to fill needs completely right now and we are just never going to improve to being a very good team.  

Oh, I’d boo alright. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Corners are a dime a dozen. Hamilton just isnt that good. That would be worst case scenario. 

I dont agree.   Good corners are rare and valuable.  With Sauce, it is not just the position, it is the player.  All the smarts and intangibles. He is a complete football player and would fit Saleh's defense to an ideal.  Same with Hamilton.  He is like a Jim Leonhard but with more leverage.  Hamilton will play above his measurables and out of his head every week

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Holes in his game? Can you name one?

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

I dont agree.   Good corners are rare and valuable.  With Sauce, it is not just the position, it is the player.  All the smarts and intangibles. He is a complete football player and would fit Saleh's defense to an ideal.  Same with Hamilton.  He is like a Jim Leonhard but with more leverage. 

Jim Leonhard?? I liked Leonhard but come on. Ramsey was getting worked up and down in the playoffs...the Jets have a ton of DB's. Taking two in the top 10  would be another example of the Jets not knowing what the drafts all about.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

If they have one WR they love at #4 that they don’t believe will last to #10, I’m down with this strategy. If they have one of those four Edges head & shoulders above the rest, though, that might complicate matters. 

If they don’t do anything else in free agency, I want a WR, TE, & RB from this draft. In fact, I’d happily consider double-dipping at WR with a trade back or two. They really need to add a WR who can, at least, potentially be a #1 type this year. If they can’t get that via trade, they have to grab a guy in the draft. 

The way I see it is that Davis and Moore can be #2 guys in 2022. Both have injury question marks though.  Berrios is a nice slot/gadget guy but my concern with him is that he became that guy when Moore went down.  I think what you saw Berrios doing is what they want a healthy Moore to do.  

They need weapons so they can finally get defenses to keep both safeties back instead of them playing one deep and one in the box.  It will make Wilson's life so much easier and open up the underneath stuff for Moore and the TE's. Easy, high percentage throws that will keep the chains moving but also have the ability with a guy like Metcalf/Brown or Garrett Wilson to hit a bomb if they fall asleep. That's my dream anyway lol. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jim Leonhard?? I liked Leonhard but come on. Ramsey was getting worked up and down in the playoffs...the Jets have a ton of DB's. Taking two in the top 10  would be another example of the Jets not knowing what the drafts all about.

Agree two DB's in the first round seems Mr. Coffe'esque, but in this case, considering the payers in question and what else is out there, it would not be as foolish as it seems on the face of it.

The DE's in this draft are first round rated by default.   Walker and Johnson II are early 2nd round talent and Thibs would be off my draft board.

The players that I rate highly are Ickey, Sauce, London & Hamilton.  Any two of those would be great.  As stated, Ickey only comes into play if the are convinced that Becton is a flake.  Since JD likely has pride of authorship in the Becton pick, I think they will hang with him even if they have doubts.

Given that, Sauce makes the most sense at number four.

If it is Sauce, who's left for them at number 10 ??? Hamilton or London perhaps.  Take one of them, or trade out if both are gone.   

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I dont agree.   Good corners are rare and valuable.  With Sauce, it is not just the position, it is the player.  All the smarts and intangibles. He is a complete football player and would fit Saleh's defense to an ideal.  Same with Hamilton.  He is like a Jim Leonhard but with more leverage.  Hamilton will play above his measurables and out of his head every week

The only way I see them drafting Gardner is if they make a trade for a WR that doesn't include one of their 1st rd picks.  I'd be fine with 2 defensive picks in the 1st round but only if they address the WR position prior to the draft.  

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Holes in his game? Can you name one?

Yeah.  He doesn’t catch it in traffic.   If there was a player on him close he didn’t make the catch most of the time.

Kind of the same thing, but he didn't use his body down field to become open and give the QB a side to throw to.  

If that doesn’t come, he’s still going to have a good career (assuming he can stay healthy and on the field).   He’s a special talent either way, but if he can’t be “the guy” when his awesome cuts don’t work, that’s not a WR1.  

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think Elijah Moore is at least as good as the WR prospects in this Draft, and was probably the 4th best WR prospect after Chase, Waddle and Devonta Smith last year.... even though he was the 6th WR taken.

Nobody will ever know but if Moore was in this Draft there's almost no doubt in my mind he'd be in the mix at the top with Garrett Wilson as a Top 15 pick.

• Upvote 2